Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #751
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Okay, so ... Wow.

So, I hadn't drunk or made any kefir in a long while, like since early April. Some batches I had in the fridge had turned to alcohol, and some were su-per Awesome. But basically had to restart and rinse a lot of my grains just to be sure cause I used some old milk( it smelled okay still) and it smelled like ... well old milk after the grains worked on it.

So I was advising someone who was reviving frozen grains and experiencing no kefiran. I told them my experience that when I store the grains in just enough milk to cover them, they seem to produce an abundance of kefiran. Since I had rinsed my grains to remove old milk solids, they had lost their coating, so I did just that.

Poured just enough milk over all of the grains, about a full cup of 'em, to cover them and let it sit on the counter. The next day it was like stirring jello. I added just a whee bit more milk, again super gelatinous kefiran. The next addition of milk topped off the jar, but instead of getting the usual separation, the kefiran bound the milk so it just got thick but not curdy!

Wow. Even when I use just a spoonful of grain to a quart of milk I get curdy separation, but with "too many grains" in there all together, there is so much kefiran that I'm getting kefir the thickness of heavy cream. Just by adding a half a cup at a time and letting it ferment before adding more. '

I think I've found my new way to culture my kefir, a type of continuous brew with a lot more grain than the typical batch amount. Now this newly made kefir is not as strongly tart as I usually have it, but It's very young in the scheme of things, so the second ferment will come once the jar holds too much liquid, I'll strain off most of the thick liquid leaving the grains in the jar with residual kefir and kefiran and feed it small amounts again, and then adding that to the second ferment jar as it grow.

I think I ought to be able to get the benefit of aged kefir plus the smoothness of young kefir without the curdiness and dry cheesy texture.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #752
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
How cool!

When I rinsed my grains the kefir was off for several batches til the kefiran built up. IF I ever try that again I will use your trick. I have mailed out a substantial amount to FB friends & those little buggers just jumped in and doubled right away. Seems like they grow faster in my fridge!

Now I leave a gallon of it in the extra fridge for several days (OK I forget about it being down there in the garage til I start to run out) & by the time I get to it it is very thick and .

I strain it into Mason Jars cover & put in the same fridge. Since we share a fridge upstairs in the kitchen I only bring 1 jar up at a time. The remainder (7 at present) are downstairs mellowing. The whey slightly separates but REMAINS ON THE BOTTOM of the jar making the very top actually spoonable. I guess some of this kefir was actually started 3 weeks ago.

Looking for a terrific recipe for kefir ice cream that I can feed to the family. The grankids actually like it! But I have not found a recipe the whole family likes where I can use something other than sugar. I might use the custard recipe with milk that I use for vanilla icecream, add a bananna & kefir when I freeze it and see what happens but that has sugar in it.

I am not opposed to sugar....would rather give that to the kids than the artificial sweetners because Lord knows everyone ingests too many chemicals... just have to find the right way to get things sweet without going weird... maybe honey in the custard base???? @ $10/lb for my local honey (& I wont use any commercial brands that have all the pollen removed & the bees are supplied with HFCS to use for their honey) it will be pricy but worth a try.

Anyone found a good recipe? I am hoping Shirley will post one for us when she slows down enough.....
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

Buzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some batches I had in the fridge had turned to alcohol, and some were su-per Awesome.

OK~ not had that happen! Did it give you a buzzzzz? Might be a new moonshine

I have some ginger beer bottles waiting for carbonation to set in for the 2F. It is so good on hot days when I come in from working in the yard. It has a tad of alochol in it but not like wine. It is just enough to relax tired sore muscles! & the fermented ginger is great.... wonder what ginger would do in MK for a 2F???? It is great in WK....

Funny thing about my WKG ~ They decided to make fizzy 1F & 2F kefir. Took them a year but now I cant get my flat kefir for my tea.... OH well.... Tea flavored is good too will have to use some of my fruit teas for a 2F.....

Havent quite figured out how to make multiple quotes like lots of people do here.... anyone know the trick?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #754

Oh, No, they were undrinkable, No buzz, more like chemical tongue burn. That's another reason I was worried about my grains. Those had been in there long before my April Hiatus so they were just way too old. I had put a few grains i the finished jar to make some kefiran, so I rinsed them and added them back to the hoard.

To multiquote, just click the middle button on several different posts and when you click the post Reply button it will add all of them to the top of your reply window. then you can put the cursor between them and reply to each on in turn.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

OH!!!!!! You are so smart!

Glad your grains are still workin for you. Going to get my CB going tomorrow...needs cleaning...Has SCOBYs that are 1 & 1/2" thick in it.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #756

Yikes! monster scobys. I'll have to find my useless blender and see if it can handle blending chopped scoby without the motor setting off the fire alarm!

My kefir is really thick and ...thick! I've been drinking it so much straight that I nearly forgot about the strawberries I bought to make kefir smoothies!

I've gone through a gallon of milk and the grains are turning it so fast and perfectly that I have more kefir than I can drink so I had to put the lovelies in the fridge, while I drink some of it down.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, once I learn how to do picts on this puter I will post picts. When I get the CB apart I will post picts on my FB page if you want to see..... Hugs!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #758

LOL! Why is it that the best tasting things I make tend to be either mistakes or batches I forget about for months?? Found an old liter bottle of water kefir. I wasn't getting much fizz before. I forgot about this one in my mini fridge until i cleaned it out this month. I expected the same flat mild flavor as the others but NOOOOoooo, this one tastes AWESOME. Fizzy and strong. and of course I don't remember how I made this wonderful batch!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
LOL! Why is it that the best tasting things I make tend to be either mistakes or batches I forget about for months?? Found an old liter bottle of water kefir. I wasn't getting much fizz before. I forgot about this one in my mini fridge until i cleaned it out this month. I expected the same flat mild flavor as the others but NOOOOoooo, this one tastes AWESOME. Fizzy and strong. and of course I don't remember how I made this wonderful batch!
You are too funny! I noticed when I strain my WKG out there is some little flakes left behind. When these get into a capped bottle they continue to ferment & grow producing some pretty powerful stuff. Glad you arnt afraid to drink the old stuff as it is better than the fresh! I grabbed some kefir from Jon's house that was there since Feb this year & it was great!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 06-02-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
You are too funny! I noticed when I strain my WKG out there is some little flakes left behind. When these get into a capped bottle they continue to ferment & grow producing some pretty powerful stuff. Glad you arnt afraid to drink the old stuff as it is better than the fresh! I grabbed some kefir from Jon's house that was there since Feb this year & it was great!
hahaha, I think i scare my friends cause I'm willing to eat "old" stuff. When they see expiration date, they think "bad", I just smell it or taste it to see if it's off. Plus with home fermenting, you don't HAVE expiration dates! LOL You have to use your senses to tell if it's safe or bad.

I had a cat that refused to eat the beef I bought till it was a few days old, and honestly, it did smell more yummy after it had ripened a bit. That cat knew her tastes in Beef better than some people. LOL there is science behind it. the amino acids break down and produce more distinct flavors and aroma. That's why aged beef is more tasty.

Anyway, thanks for the explany about the extra bits. I had no idea they would do that, but you are right, I saw tiny little crystals in the bottom of the bottle and it must have been grains that slipped through the strainer. Okay, so Now i have to try again for a long-wait 2F. Gotta get some more sugar and lemons. I need to read more about WK, since I'm not so confident about it as I am MK.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

My WKG kinda gave up on me through the winter....although I kept making 2qt every other day. Didnt mind that it was flat... but they would not XX so I contacted some X-Perts and they told me they prolly needed to rest. So I put them in sweet water with some added molasses in the coldest spot of the fridge for a week & after a few ferments they grew enough for me to send some out.

An amazing thing happened! They produced fizzy carbonated kefir! Surprise! It took a year for them to do it on their own! I bottled them in old pop bottles with some pomegranate juice but anything sweet will work. I made some with a touch 1/4tsp of sugar & ginger & it was Let it 2F for several days at room temp... when the bottle is 'tight' it is carbonated & needs to go in fridge.

BTW~ I hAVE MY GINGER BUG GOING. It is chopped ginger + = amount of sugar in a qt of water, cover for 24-48 hours and add ginger=sugar. Do this continually til it is bubbly & the ginger pieces rise & fall in the jar. I use a large pickle jar & do more than a quart.

When it is finished, remove a cup or more of the gingerbug with some of the ginger & put it in a gallon jar with about 1C sugar some more chopped ginger, slices of FRESH lemon (dont use bottled juice) and about 1/4+ tsp of cream of tarter. Add filtered water to about the 3qt mark, cover with cloth&band. Let set in warm spot several days til well fermented... longer it sets-less sweet. Bottle tightly, OK to use old pop bottles, until carbonation builds. This is some of the best summer drink when it is hot outside and you have been working. It has a bit of a "punch" because of the ferment so dont drive or operate machinery til you know how that particular batch will affect you!

Have fun with this!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #762

My Kefir is now coming out milkshake thickness consistently every batch. It's not separating into curds and whey, but staying smooth and getting thick from just regular whole milk, and I'm drinking some second ferment now and it still has the characteristic tart fizziness I like but without the dry crumbly texture. I like what it's doing!

I tell you what, I'm not following directions for correct kefir at all, I'm using up to half a cup of grains at a time, and just adding milk to cover it, then adding more milk after a half day and until the jar is filled, and only then pouring it off. The kefiran is growing as fast as the milk is fermenting so the acidity that normally curdles the milk into solids and liquids, can only make it tart cause the kefiran is keeping it from separating completely. I basically get a thick viscous liquid with a very thin layer of whey...on the top, and it stirs back in easily.

I'm happy.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #763
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Glad to hear everyone's fermenting is going well! My MKG's are doing very well. I've been using two, one quart jars and moving the grains into fresh milk every morning. Then the quart jars second ferment for four days. Lately it's been perfect. I find if I keep the lids on super tight, the kefir gets very bubbly after the four days. But, the jars are just about ready to explode. I've had a few where when I just touch the lid, it blows off. Fortunately it seems the lids are made just right, so that if the pressure is too high the lid just blows off instead of the jar exploding I guess! The cows are on the fresh quickly growing grass now, and the milk is taking on the slight yellow color for summer. It is much tastier than the winter milk.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

So glad to hear you are well and fermenting strong! You helped change my life! Thank you, Porcupine. You are dearly talked about every time I talk to the Master!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 06-15-2012 at 04:13 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #765
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smittin
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins, 3/14/12 started JUDDD
Start Date: 03/13/2012
Hello, I'm new to kefering - been doing it a week! I got some wfg last friday from keysands and my oh my, I am up to my ears in wkg! I put about a cup away in the fridge to hibernate in sugar water. last night I started a second bottle with watered down grape juice, this AM - about 12 hour later, the bottle is full of carbonation and bubbles. I did make a grape flavored one, adding grape juice to the 2f, but this is the first time I added it to the 1f and boy oh boy, it's going mad. I hope it hasn't exploded by the time I get home from work today.
What are your favorite recipes? I am having a hard time getting my daughter to drink it. I like it and don't mind it, but I prefer plain water to anything else, so i do have to make myself drink the wk.
so far, I've made grape flavored, ginger, and cream soda.
I thought I might have problems because I used distilled water - I have a distiller. I add in a little bit of sea salt, sodium bicarb and I use organic brown sugar. so far my little 'guys' are loving it. I ate some last night as I was at a loss on what to do with all these grains. I don't know if it's necessary, but I usually do a 48 hour 1f instead of 24. maybe if I do a 24 hour 1f the taste would be more mild for my daughter? I will try that.
smittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittin View Post
Hello, I'm new to kefering - been doing it a week! I got some wfg last friday from keysands and my oh my, I am up to my ears in wkg! I put about a cup away in the fridge to hibernate in sugar water. last night I started a second bottle with watered down grape juice, this AM - about 12 hour later, the bottle is full of carbonation and bubbles. I did make a grape flavored one, adding grape juice to the 2f, but this is the first time I added it to the 1f and boy oh boy, it's going mad. I hope it hasn't exploded by the time I get home from work today.
What are your favorite recipes? I am having a hard time getting my daughter to drink it. I like it and don't mind it, but I prefer plain water to anything else, so i do have to make myself drink the wk.
so far, I've made grape flavored, ginger, and cream soda.
I thought I might have problems because I used distilled water - I have a distiller. I add in a little bit of sea salt, sodium bicarb and I use organic brown sugar. so far my little 'guys' are loving it. I ate some last night as I was at a loss on what to do with all these grains. I don't know if it's necessary, but I usually do a 48 hour 1f instead of 24. maybe if I do a 24 hour 1f the taste would be more mild for my daughter? I will try that.
In my signature is a link to my FB page.... I have picts & videos of my kefir there... Stop in & friend me & take a look.... & to the kefir page!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #767
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Iamfaithful!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

With the warm weather, I found the second ferment proceeding far too fast. So I lined the bottom of my old VCR/TV cart with reflectix insulation, and put the kefir in there for the 4 day second ferment. I put a frozen gallon jug of water inside and replace it in the morning and evening. It works great. It seems to be keeping the temperature just below 60F. The second ferment @ 4 days is perfect. It is fizzy and tangy. The carbonation really makes it wonderful. And it doesn't separate much into whey and curds at that low a temp.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #769
Major LCF Poster!

Smittin Please connnect with me on FB... Would really like to find out how you are doing with the distilled water... have a friend who used it and her grains slowly disappeared in the water....Took several months... when you find me on FB let me know you are from LCF.. hugs!

Porcupine, you are a sweet genius when it comes to inventions.... Happy your kefir is doing well... I use mine to make "Golden Milk" (add tumeric paste to it) every day. Took a while to get accustomed to the tumeric taste but much cheaper than the tumeric capsules.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #770
Major LCF Poster!

Hi faithful Hm the golden milk sounds interesting! Do you let it second ferment with the turmeric in it?

Hi Smittin, if using distilled water, it is possible adding a little Azomite to the water might help in addition to the things you are already adding?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

No, Porcupine... I drink it right away but never thought to let it ferment. Tumeric is so terrific for the body... fights inflamation, blood pressure, cancers etc.. research it (you are way smart)

I get the tumeric from Asian Mkt $2 for 1/5 cups in a bag. Put it in a pan with 3 cups filtered water & 1 tablespoon black pepper (needed for absorption of the tumeric). Let it cook over low heat stirring constantly til a paste forms. Let cool & put in the fridge to keep. Take a good size teaspoon or more in the morning mixed in with kefir (or you can make the milk for real by using warm milk & some honey).. I lkie the kefir usage as it goes down really easy & I dont need the honey.

I finally ran out of the Tumeric capsules you sent me. They worked so well I had to find a lesser expensive way to take the tumeric. Found this recipe on the net... give it a try....really is good after you drink it a while.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting faithful, I may have to give that a try. Now I have to find out about this Honey Badger!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Had a funny thing happen today. I have been fermenting some ginger outside on my deck. I was making some ginger beer for the summer & had my 3F of the ginger going to use for more starter. I left it out for several days without checking it (weather here is 90+day & 70s at night.

Today when I went to strain the liquid to add fresh ginger, lemon & cream of tarter to actually make the ginger beer... I found a good size SCOBY-like firm gell floating on the top. Hmmm So I just broke it up & mixed it back into the fermented ginger & placed it in the fridge for the next ferment. Will be interesting to see what happens when I use this next time.... Hummmmmmmm
Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #774

1% milk was on discount. gonna see of my grains like it or not. I'm wondering if they will gell up as much with this vs the whole...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck! Mine only like whole... they kefir the other but not thick & creamy...
It is the butterfat in the milk that makes it so thick.

Hugs!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #776

You are too right. The amount I put in yesterday fermented just fine but is not nearly as thick and viscous as the whole milk. I see now that the amount of milkfat really has a remarkable effect on the amount of thickness of the finished product.

That's okay, I shall mix this lower fat kefir with a jar of my super thick whole milk 2F and to get something more drinkable. My whole milk 2F is thicker than cream and kinda difficult to drink, you have to sorta gulp small globs!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #777
Major LCF Poster!

Gulpimg globs works! Have you tried mixing tumeric paste into your glass to drink?

Tumeric paste is fantastic for so many things! I am in a blood pressure study right now and am off 4 meds/supplements but my bp is staying low or normal. I think it is the big spoonful of paste I put in my kefir every morning. Took a while to get accustomed to the taste but now....

You have to mix black pepper with the tumeric powder when you make a paste for the synergy otherwise the tumeric is not absorbed. Good stuff....
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #778

I heard about it just yesterday from your post, so no I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of "to try" things.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #779
Junior LCF Member

distilled water

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Smittin Please connnect with me on FB... Would really like to find out how you are doing with the distilled water... have a friend who used it and her grains slowly disappeared in the water....Took several months... when you find me on FB let me know you are from LCF.. hugs!
I have only had my wkg about three weeks, but I've gone from 4 tbs to about 3-4 cups of grains. I use organic brown sugar, baking soda, sea salt and distilled water. They like whatever i am doing. They like it too much! I am even using a bigger jar now, and it's about half full with WFG. That's ok, as it is done fairly quickly and my dh is loving the cream soda I make. I add vanilla extract, vanilla stevia and a few drops of orange stevia to make a mild orange cream flavor.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittin View Post
I have only had my wkg about three weeks, but I've gone from 4 tbs to about 3-4 cups of grains. I use organic brown sugar, baking soda, sea salt and distilled water. They like whatever i am doing. They like it too much! I am even using a bigger jar now, and it's about half full with WFG. That's ok, as it is done fairly quickly and my dh is loving the cream soda I make. I add vanilla extract, vanilla stevia and a few drops of orange stevia to make a mild orange cream flavor.
I have some friends needing WKG if you ever have extras. You can inbox me on FB & I can connect thhem to you.