Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #721
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Wanted to wish my Kefir buddies a Happy Birthday!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #722

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
clabber?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #723

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
clabber?
raw milk left out will thicken and separate due to the natural bacteria, The milk "clabbers" and the resulting product is also called clabber. Some people let raw milk set overnight to start clabbering before fedding it to their pets, chickens, pigs, etc. Makes it more digestible by reducing the lactose.

Store milk that is pastuerized will sour and rot. Raw milk sort of cultures and doesnt get that offensive odor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clabber_(food)
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #724

Oh, Okay, I forgot you were using raw. i'd heard of clabber and wondered how you were doing that with pasteured milk!

I really hope your grains aren't dead. Have you tried fasting them in water? Some people revive their off grains in live culture yogurt by soaking for a day...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #725
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
PM me your address & I will check pricing on sending you some good grains! I will also send you (if possible) culture for kombucha as price may be the same.

We will find a way to get you good healthy grains. Mine have taveled 2 week to Canada a d done fine.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 04-08-2012 at 06:20 PM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #726

Quote:
Oh, Okay, I forgot you were using raw. i'd heard of clabber and wondered how you were doing that with pasteured milk!

I really hope your grains aren't dead. Have you tried fasting them in water? Some people revive their off grains in live culture yogurt by soaking for a day...
Can you explain how to do this? I tried putting a teaspoon of natural yogurt into the kefir milk. Didn't seem to do anything. Is that what you meant or all yogurt?

Kefir grains in milk in fridge, five days. Nada. Like normal milk.

I assume water fasting is just plain water at room temp? How long?

I got my grains from a UK sharing site. The man I got them from used pastuerized goats milk. He thinks maybe I shocked them by changing milk and especially raw at first. I have been putting them into store cow milk but they aren't reviving. Obviously, I don't want to always buy milk when I have gallons a day from our little cow Betty.

I am really enjoying the water kefir. Lemon & ginger is my fav so far.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Cindy... what a bummer about your kefir grains. They sound like duds to me even though they looked great. Are they producing any "snot"?? When I strain mine there is this stringy goopy stuff that drains off.

Hopefully it won't cost too much for faithful to ship you good grains. Yours really do not seem to be right for some reason. So sorry!

BUT I'm glad you are enjoying your water kefir! :-)
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #728
Major LCF Poster!

I sent you rate for shipping to Ireland. I can send Kombucha culture for the same cost if you want both. Price is not terrible as to send both in the states is about 6$US & about 17$US for international.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleychef View Post
Cindy... what a bummer about your kefir grains. They sound like duds to me even though they looked great. Are they producing any "snot"?? When I strain mine there is this stringy goopy stuff that drains off.

Hopefully it won't cost too much for faithful to ship you good grains. Yours really do not seem to be right for some reason. So sorry!

BUT I'm glad you are enjoying your water kefir! :-)
They do make a little around the grain which is why I keep trying. I think they are dormant. Not growing bigger but not quite dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I sent you rate for shipping to Ireland. I can send Kombucha culture for the same cost if you want both. Price is not terrible as to send both in the states is about 6 & about 17 for international.
Do I need to try Kombucha? I think so!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #730

I've never tried the yogurt thing myself, my grains are a blend from Faithful, and are vigorous and hardy har har! Water bath is just putting them in water for a day. I forget the reason for this . Its on Don's page though he mentions it.

Kombucha is wonderful, you should try it, but I'm biased!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #731

Quote:
I've never tried the yogurt thing myself, my grains are a blend from Faithful, and are vigorous and hardy har har! Water bath is just putting them in water for a day. I forget the reason for this . Its on Don's page though he mentions it.

Kombucha is wonderful, you should try it, but I'm biased!
OK, I will look. I have read some of Dom's site but it is huge!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

My KT is from Metqa's crop! I will send with the MKG. We share here!

There is a link to KT thread in my signature. Might want to do a little reading. I is severa years long so just ask away & we can answer ????s there. Both Metqa & Pepperette are seasoned brewers.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 04-10-2012 at 07:33 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #733
Major LCF Poster!

Foaming out of the jar!

I have so many grains that I now kefir by the gallon.

Today I stirred down the grains as I do when the riseto the top & show a whey separation line. Usually it stirs down to the level of the milk (when grains rise the level in the jar rises a well :donno: ). Thhis time the grains went down & the kefir literally bubbled up to the top and out of the jar!

Needless to say I strained into another gallon jar (which of course blends it together and it is sitting out to finish kefiring without grains.

The 3 quarts in the fridge I restrained to take the newly formed lumps & rebottled for the fridge. Never had lumps before. I rinsed my grains with distilled water as they were so numerous & thick with kefirian - I SHOULD HAVE RINSED THEM WITH MILK INSTEAD! I think this is why the kefir is a little different in texture. I won't do that again! Will probably take this next culture for them to be happy with me again!

AS FOR WATER KEFIR GRAINS----
Mine continued to multiply (X) throug the winter but did not grow in size. I checked on line & was advised to let them "rest" in the coldest spot in the fridge for a week. So into molasis water they went. It occurred to me I had not let them rest all winter! No wonder why they were tired!

Yesterday I added sugar (Demarara) water to what was there & put the 2/3 gal jar in my bedroom where they did well last year. (I just gutted & remodeled it so I don't know if they will do as well there because all the old stuff is gone.) They are bubbling wildly! I wil let them go tilMonday evening then look at the size/volume. I hope this is successful as I have pl waiting for MKG & WKG.
Toodles!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #734

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hi girls, I am still drinking a cup of kefir a day! My grains are going strong! Lost my job and I am just sick about it, darn economy, but I am hopeful something comes along! IAM I wanted to tell you, I was at the store and this guy had a bottle of kombuchu and was telling his wife how great it is suppose to be I was thinking wait til you taste it, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't brewed any for months-still drinking last years stash- but it is warmer A I think I will do a few batch brews! I will put them outside on the prech & cover them with brown paper sacks with tops cut out. Kombucha likes to do it's work in the dark
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #736
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dianan
Stats: 220 pounds, goal 170.
WOE: I lost 10 pounds on the Dukan diet
heart palpatations from Kefir?

Question: Has anyone noticed heart palpatations after drinking home made kefir? I just started successfully makiing it, and I like it but I get heart palpatations. I am also menopausal, on HRT, but it could be hormonal, but I've been on that for a year with no problem. The only new thing is I'm drinking Kefir, a cup a day.
dianan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #737

Are you using cows milk?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianan View Post
Question: Has anyone noticed heart palpatations after drinking home made kefir? I just started successfully makiing it, and I like it but I get heart palpatations. I am also menopausal, on HRT, but it could be hormonal, but I've been on that for a year with no problem. The only new thing is I'm drinking Kefir, a cup a day.
Not a problem for me and I have been kefiring for about a year now. Not heard of anyone else either. Why not try not drinking it for a week , Put grains in milk in fridge, and see how you feel then try again but take smaller quantities and see if you have the same thing happen. Kefir will cause a detox but it is relatively not noticeable like Kombucha or other cleanses.

Let us know how it turns out please.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #739
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone wanting to see my kefir photos can find me on FB

faithful to Jesus (I am the old lady with the little girl holding a rose.)

I will see if I can post a link in my signature somehow.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I haven't brewed any for months-still drinking last years stash- but it is warmer A I think I will do a few batch brews! I will put them outside on the prech & cover them with brown paper sacks with tops cut out. Kombucha likes to do it's work in the dark
OOP! This was posed to go on the Kombucha thread!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #741
Junior LCF Member

heart palpatations

Yes, it's organic whole cows milk. I was drinking a cup a a day, and getting heart palpatations. I stopped drinking the Kefir and it's sleeping in the fridge.
My heart palpatations have stopped. I can drink store bought kefir without problem. Mine perhaps was too acidic or something. perhaps I'm not suited for it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #742
Major LCF Poster!

Home cultured is from grains store is from a diff culture. Home is much more potent & pure. Try starting again with smaller amounts during the day (maybe an ounce or two). Grains will keep in fridge & will continue to culture so don't worry about them. Let your body get acclimated to the kefir over a period then increase the amount. You can prolly drink it several times a day (small amounts) & if you don't have a problem, increase fequency and/or amounts.

Everyome is different. Smoetimes new things the body has to learn to adjust to. Let us hnow who it goes. We are pulling for you!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 05-10-2012 at 01:39 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #743
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smittin
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins, 3/14/12 started JUDDD
Start Date: 03/13/2012
I'm dying to get some water kefir grains, I've been wanting to buy some from culturesforhealth, but haven't been able to afford them.

I'm also a little scared I'm gonna kill the little guys! I have a water distiller also, so I've read that distilled water isn't good for the grains, that they need minerals.

Anyone have experience with this?
smittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #744
Junior LCF Member

thanks faithful

ok, faithful, I'll try smaller amounts, after taking a week off.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittin View Post
I'm dying to get some water kefir grains, I've been wanting to buy some from culturesforhealth, but haven't been able to afford them.

I'm also a little scared I'm gonna kill the little guys! I have a water distiller also, so I've read that distilled water isn't good for the grains, that they need minerals.

Anyone have experience with this?
Yes, dont use distilled water. I sent healthy grains to a friend. They did fine for a while and then slowly disintegrated in the water til none were left. She even added egg shell, salt, and soda from time to time. Distilled water a bad idea.

I am not able to send you grains at this time. Mine are not doing well as far as growing right now and I have just sent some out, so I dont want to delete my supply until these guys get bigger. If you can find me on FB I might be able to hook you up with someone that has grains.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #746
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianan View Post
ok, faithful, I'll try smaller amounts, after taking a week off.
Be sure to let us know how you are doing.....
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Like Coffee????

Throw a few coffee beans into a 2F for a wonderful coffee infused kefir!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

You can also use your favorite flavor of tea bags! I like vanilla coconut chi & the Lipton fruit reas in the pyramid bags (nothing to strain out).
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #749
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smittin
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins, 3/14/12 started JUDDD
Start Date: 03/13/2012
Thank you

Quote:
Yes, dont use distilled water. I sent healthy grains to a friend. They did fine for a while and then slowly disintegrated in the water til none were left. She even added egg shell, salt, and soda from time to time. Distilled water a bad idea.

I am not able to send you grains at this time. Mine are not doing well as far as growing right now and I have just sent some out, so I dont want to delete my supply until these guys get bigger. If you can find me on FB I might be able to hook you up with someone that has grains.

Thanks so much, I will check out those links. I sent you a fb friend request.
smittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #750
Major LCF Poster!

Kefir Ice Cream

Shirley, you have such success with your kids and kefir icecream could you post the recipe you use.

I am making icecream & kefir icecream for the kids now that they are living with me but have yet to find a really good kefir recipe. I thought if you would share yours I would give it a try.

Thanks!