Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #691
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've got half a gallon of kefired milk resting my grains in the fridge at the moment while I try to drink up my last batches.

I never got around to whipping my kefired cream, too busy and the party I was gonna make it for had ice cream cake so..... I kept my diet food dessert at home.

I had a jar of kefir 1F and I put a few small grains in it and put it in the fridge. It's been maybe 2 weeks... I opened it, shook it of course, didn't think about it....
Volcanic reaction of milk, all over the sink ( I've learned to always do this over the sink) Very fizzy, very delicious, very thick. Much thicker than the milk kefir stored without a few extra grains. the other kefir, stored without grains, got thin. I don't know the biology, but this is my 3rd time that keeping the grains in the chilled kefir for a second slow ferment surely does make a thicker more full kefir than simply chilling it for storage. Yay!!!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Sounds really terrific!!

I came to Jon"s today and the 3 flavored quarts I sent home with him a few weeks ago were still in fridge. U burped them & shook them One of em separated.... I think it was the one flavored with Truvia and pure vanilla. Since I am sleeping over I will have one of them for dinner. Then breakfast tomorrow. Maybe the kids will like to try the cherry or was it strawberry.

on the volcano! I can just picture it!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #693

Gallery: Maid of Erin
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Yes strain, drink & add grains to mew milk!
Mew milk? From cats?? kidding, kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I've got half a gallon of kefired milk resting my grains in the fridge at the moment while I try to drink up my last batches.

I never got around to whipping my kefired cream, too busy and the party I was gonna make it for had ice cream cake so..... I kept my diet food dessert at home.

I had a jar of kefir 1F and I put a few small grains in it and put it in the fridge. It's been maybe 2 weeks... I opened it, shook it of course, didn't think about it....
Volcanic reaction of milk, all over the sink ( I've learned to always do this over the sink) Very fizzy, very delicious, very thick. Much thicker than the milk kefir stored without a few extra grains. the other kefir, stored without grains, got thin. I don't know the biology, but this is my 3rd time that keeping the grains in the chilled kefir for a second slow ferment surely does make a thicker more full kefir than simply chilling it for storage. Yay!!!
Do you make a dessert or just whip the kefired cream?

Last edited by Maid of Erin; 03-14-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #694

I planned to use the kefired cream in a dessert recipe and as a whipped topping on the same, but I never got around to it. Y'know how people use cream instead of milk to make sugar free pudding? I was gonna make a chocolate pudding pie in a store bought oreo crust, and then put whipped cream topping. It's like a Sara Lee dessert I see at the restaurant but it would be homemade. i read that creme fraiche holds up better to whipping and holds its shape longer so I kefired the cream to make my own "creme frache". the cream got really thick and interesting, but other than tasting it, I haven't used it for anything.

Last edited by metqa; 03-15-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #695

Increased hunger and blood sugar problems AFTER PROTEIN with low fat...a solution

Hey this is an old thread, revived. I think it has addressed some things I thought about and my experiences I've had with fermented beverages. I think I've substituted kefir for Kombucha in my self-administered health care!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the link - will check itout! Seems like I crave kefir right now more than KT bit still get 8oz chugged down every day.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sidhartha
Stats: 240/219/200
WOE: LC/Paleo mostly
Start Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
...Would love to have some Tibet MKG but that is a dream- I read about them too in WF book.....
Hi, is Tibet MKG different from normal kefir grains?
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

I actually got some from porcupine after his grew enough for him to split. Yhey did have a different texture & taste however as far as different I am not too sure as tp composition. For a long time I kept them separate & one day accidentally mixed them with the ones that I got from somewhere in USA. Now my grains are generations down from the original & make delicious kefir. Several here have grains from these. Hope this helps!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #699

I got my kefir grains today.

I have been checking the mail waiting. I put them into milk right away and checked them about 3 hrs later wondering if they are going to work or not. It seems to be doing something and the liquid level was higher so it's looking good. Excited to try some real kefir soon!

I got some water kefir grains for fun, first time trying them. I used lemon and raisins.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Yeah Cindy! I used up most of mine tonight feeding it to the family for supper. I was SOOOO tired having been outside pruning apple trees, raspberries and cutting down burdock plant seed pods and burning them. I was CRABBY and the only thing that sounded good was kefir. So I cooked up some organic turkey dogs, grass fed beef burgers and made strawberry and vanilla kefir with added raw cream. I really wasn't very hungry but had 1/2 a burger and some strawberry kefir.. .it totally hit the spot!

I'm sure you will LOVE it once you get to start drinking it! Tomorrow we will be waiting for your report!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #701

Well, I'm not sure what to think.

I made kefir overnight, this morning it was thickened and smelled very yeasty. I tasted some and it was pretty nasty, funky smell.

So I am open to ideas. I've only tried the powdered kefir before so:

is kefir supposed to be that strong? I enjoy plain yogurt but this is pretty sour in comparison.
my house isn't overly warm but I am going to try less fermentation time
does it mellow once chilled?
I just realized my grains came from goats milk. Maybe they need time to adjust to my raw cows milk and the effects of shipping? I will keep on kefiring, hoping it improves.

The grains puffed up last night so I think they are alive.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Cindy, did you do a full 24 hour ferment? If so, change out the milk, and go for maybe 18-20 hours then strain it and see if you like it. I prefer to refrigerate mine before drinking it.... AND I'm betting they will need time to adjust to the cows milk if they are used to goat milk.

Kefir from grains is yeasty, but not always strong. It should taste a bit yeasty and yogurt sourish by the time you get it the way you like it. Shortening up the ferment will make it milder IMO.

I'm so glad you are not giving up yet, keep changing out the milk at various time intervals, then refrigerate, then try it and see which time frame works best for you.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #703

Erin, you might need a shorter time on the counter. My first grains were fermenting to super strong coagulated cheese in 8 hours right from the start.

Strain out your grains, the put in some fresh milk, then check after 4 hours and then at 8 hours check for trails. if you see whey trails at 8 hours, strain the grains out THEN, and then put the kefir in the fridge to slow down the process, it will be much milder than a 12-24hour ferment. If it's too milk the let the next batch go for 12 hours or until you see trails.

If you have a warm kitchen or climate it will go faster.

For a while I was straining every 8 hours, but I learned to like it super sour and I learned that putting the whole jar in the frigde , grains and all, when I couldn't strain it immediately, didn't hurt production down the line. People I've given grains too have had explosive growth and fast kefir despite them being chilled occasionally.

Last edited by metqa; 03-23-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Erin, GOATS MILK! Yep! Give them time to adjust, please. Experiment with one knd of milk for at lease 3 batches until you find what you like. Mine is whoole milk from our Dollr General s torecalled Dean's. Finishing your ferment in the fridge doesn't hurt & if it separatees, just stir & enjoy. I have ekept milk kefir for months in the fridge. I personally find that it becomes more mellow in the fridge. Iknowpeople that never refrigerate it but keep a jar on the counter to add their new fement to every day. That would be a bit more than I like. However, remember it will STILL culture in the fridge so remember to "burp" your lids so you don't have one buldge & you get a surprise when you open it. Good kefiring and I am glad you won't give up.

BTW you may want to put some of your grains directly in the fridge in milk & let them set there to kefir for a while. Use the smaller amount to kefir smaller batches so you wont have as much undesirable kefir & waste milk. The grains in the fridge should adjust in there.

I have taken up kefiring in a gallon jar then straining & putting in quart large mouth mason jars. This way I get my 24 hour fement and a longer ferment in the fridge. Often when storing my grains I put them directly into a gallon in the fridge to kefir. Thenwhen I start to run low on the quarts, I check the gal jar & if it is ready I strain or leave out to finish the job.

Yousee there is LOTS of flexability! You will not be sorry you started this! I promise!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #705

Thanks for all the tips.

I have plenty of milk from our family cow to experiment. I think the first batch was funky due to the milk change. The second batch I left overnight was slightly thicked but smelled more like yogurt with a faint yeast odor. My house is pretty cold. I think it could use more time but I changed the milk anyway to give the grains plenty of food.

I am glad I have you girls to go to for help!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #706

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I miss my kefir buddies!

So my guy at market has this new stuff kefir yogurt he calls it the container is in Greek but I saw the word probiotic on it, it is sort of like sour cream, he made taziki sauce with it, OMG it was so good so I have been eating that, I just pulled out my grains that were in the fridge for maybe 10 days holy crap was that thick! It looks scary but I am drinking it, I figure it cant hurt, I do notice that after they are in the fridge for a week or so they seem to really multiply and go quick out on the counter, I left a jar with fresh milk and the grains out for about 10 hours and it was separating, when I strained it I swear there were more grains?

Skirely- did you have your weekend away yet?

Erin- how are you enjoying with your raw milk, so jealous!! I love raw milk!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #707

I think the change in weather is weirding my grains cause they aren't making the nice thick gooey kefir I like and the results have been rather thin even with whole milk. I really liked it when a bunch of pint milk bottles were on sale cause I could make small amounts of kefir at a time without worrying about a whole gallon of milk going off before i could kefir it. Sometimes doing the whole gallon doesn't come out like I like and i have a gallon of second rate kefir to use up.

i got the best growth and the best extra thickness when I let it go on the counter then let it second ferment in the fridge with a few grains still in, they made a lot of kefiran that held he milk solid together in a more smooth way. Yummy to drink straight from the jar.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #708

So far, I have been disappointed with my kefir results. The kefir is not getting thick, it looks the same as regular milk but does get very sour. Like vinegar. Undrinkable uless you are Metqa!

I think my MKG are alive because they do make some slime around the grain. It contines to smell strongly of yeast so I think it just hasn't settled yet. The grains were from goats milk and I have raw cows milk. I read pages and pages on Dom's site and he recommends waiting it out for weeks, even several months for the grains to become balanced and also trying to add some active yogurt to the kefir jug to promote good bacteria. I might try that.

My grains look like wads of chewed up gum. Dom's site said that raw milk could cause more balloon type grains. They sink at first but are floating in the morning.

So basically all I've been up to is changing the milk daily but none to eat. Even the cats wouldnt touch it.

ETA If I have time, I will take a photo tomorrow and you can tell me what you think about how my grains look.

Last edited by Maid of Erin; 04-02-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #709

Here are my grains. They are getting bigger so I am pretty sure they are living. I change their milk daily trying to get a usuable product. (I don't normally rinse the grains, just plop them into the new milk. I only rinsed with milk here for the photo.)

If I let it kefir overnight, I get vinegar milk but it is runny. I want that lovely buttermilk texture.

The other thing I thought of is maybe I should try using some pasteurized milk? Maybe the MKG can't deal with raw milk bacteria on top of changing their type of of milk from goats to cow?

The grains are about an inch long each. So today I put one in a cup of milk with a teaspoon of natural yogurt. Dom suggested this because the kefir can "pick up" the beneficial bacteria from it. The other is in plain milk in case I ruin it. I think the yeast/bacteria balance is off somehow so maybe this will help.

I will keep you all posted on how my experiments go.

Last edited by Maid of Erin; 04-03-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post

Erin- how are you enjoying with your raw milk, so jealous!! I love raw milk!
We LOVE our raw milk from our Jersey cow. It is so rich and creamy. We had a friend over who said they wanted to try it and couldn't get over how good fresh milk tastes. It makes incredible ice cream, butter. I really want to get into making hard cheeses but I don't have a press yet.

I just noticed you are in Reading. We used to live in Lancaster, PA (Denver, PA actually) and adopted two of our children that we fostered thru Berks County. They were born in Reading hospital. Small world!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, so I see some color in your grains that is NOT white? Other than that your grains look terrific?

How many of those big guys are you putting in a qt of milk? It only takes 2 or 3 LARGE grains to make a quart. You might find the 1 in a cup of milk will do OK. Surprised your cat would not drink the kefir. Porcupine's can waited for it every day!

Try some pasturized whole milk & see if that helps! Put most of your grains in maybe a gallon & put it in the fridge for a week or more til you can see tham float to the top. It might give them a better chance to rest longer & get acclamated to the new cows milk.

When your grains get really large it is a good idea to pulk them apart into smaller ones to allow more surface area. It makes better kefir. BTW mine always sink first then rise to the occasion about the time the kefir is almost finished & I have to stir them back down.

Good luck & keep trying! Let me know about the color of your grains & how many (volume) you are putting in a quantity of milk.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #712

OMG how strange is that!! I grew up in Lancaster and my cousin lives in Denver, that is where we will be for Easter!!! Now that is a small world!!! How did you end up in Ireland?

I see your grains they look normal, I am too new with all this, I seem to keep getting thick kefir and I like it thinner, LOL Go figure we never get what we want, the strong stuff I had in the fridge for weeks, OMG it was so thick and I could hardly drink it!!

IAM-my grains are always on the bottom when I strain they never float on the top is that OK?

Last edited by Bejewelme; 04-03-2012 at 04:31 AM..
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Amberyou are up early! It doesn't matter float or sink! Like a SCOBY as long as they are in there & you can get them to work. You are a good kefir mama & Cindy will get hers figured out!

Try fewer grains in your jar of milk - maybe you will get the thinner kefir you like! I like mine so thick a spoon could stand in it! Not that thick!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 04-03-2012 at 04:37 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #714

Quote:
Cindy, so I see some color in your grains that is NOT white?

How many of those big guys are you putting in a qt of milk? It only takes 2 or 3 LARGE grains to make a quart. You might find the 1 in a cup of milk will do OK. Surprised your cat would not drink the kefir. Porcupine's can waited for it every day!

Try some pasturized whole milk & see if that helps! Put most of your grains in maybe a gallon & put it in the fridge for a week or more til you can see tham float to the top. It might give them a better chance to rest longer & get acclamated to the new cows milk.
My grains are all the same cream color. That is just a shadow in the pic.

I thought it was a good thing to keep changing milk, maybe not?

I am using two of those grains in a pint of milk, so way too much?? Why wouldn't it get super thick and separate if too many grains?

I could tear one of them apart. I didn't want to mess with them too much in the beginning. I am open to suggestions.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
OMG how strange is that!! I grew up in Lancaster and my cousin lives in Denver, that is where we will be for Easter!!! Now that is a small world!!! How did you end up in Ireland?
DH is Irish, we decided to move here to raise our children and be near his family. You will probably pass my old house when you get off route 222.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

Try two of the grains in a quart. If ou have more, put them in some pasturized milk in the fridge. Mine like the cool & kefir well in the fridge when they are resting. It is worth a shot to get better kefir. My seems like yours are taking a while to adjust? How did the yogurt go?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #717

Cindy that is just too crazy isnt it? LOL I will be going to my cousin's on Sat and Sun so I will think of you, have a Happy Easter!!!

Do you like living there? I guess it was an adjustment, it looks so beautiful there, and I am sure it is a great place to raise the kids! And you have a cow!!! And all the raw milk you can drink!!!

IAM-hi!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Happy Easter fellow MK brewers! I hope your kefir is coming out smooth and delicious.

Mine was doing well, but for some reason I had a couple days worth that turned out with very strong blue cheese taste to it, but slightly off from that, I couldn't drink it. After a few more days it turned back to normal and got very fizzy and delicious.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #719

Haha! Hi Porcupine! Ohishashiburi!!!!

I just made some stained kefir curds, don't know what to do with it. and I'm trying to get a gallon of milk to turn kefirany with that lovely smoothness that I like. I got overloaded with kefir and the milk I was gonna turn into yogurt came upon the expiry dates so i've got 2 gallons of kefir in the fridges! I'm drowning!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #720

I really think my grains are dead.

I was using too many grains, so I put half in milk in thr fridge, about 1/2 Tbs grain/ quart, closed lid, several days and got nothing. No pressure buildup, no thickening.

I have a container on the counter and it does thicken after 3 days but that is clabber, not kefir. The house is room temp and I fed them.

I am really dsappointed.

ETA. I have been making water kefir and at least that is working for me! My DH and kids all had terrible colds last week and so far I've managed to avoid it, maybe its the kefir! I usually get every cold and sniffle I come in contact with. One of the main reasons I want to use MK is to boost my immunity better.

Last edited by Maid of Erin; 04-08-2012 at 07:04 AM..