Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #661
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Maid of Erin,
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid of Erin View Post
Hi, mind if I join your thread?

I have made kefir before in spells but never really was too thrilled with it. I was buying the culture powders that only last thru 6-7 uses. I'd like to try again and I'm learning all I can online while waitng for my live culture grains to arrive.

We have our own Jersey cow, Betty . I make my own yogurt and soft cheeses. I would like to make raw milk kefir and kefir yogurts/cheese as well.

We have a small Jersey herd too. I make my kefir with 1/2 cream and 1/2 whole milk... YUMMY! I use live grains. I have used the packet stuff too in the past but prefer the live grains. I also make butter, yogurt, ice cream, and sometimes raw cheddar & mozzarella (not raw). I've been making Greek Yogurt Lately.. YUMMM!

Blessings,
Shirley -- Phase 3 -- Total hcg loss: 88.8 pounds in 3 rounds totaling 145 VLCD days!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #663
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Hi, mind if I join your thread?

I have made kefir before in spells but never really was too thrilled with it. I was buying the culture powders that only last thru 6-7 uses. I'd like to try again and I'm learning all I can online while waitng for my live culture grains to arrive.

We have our own Jersey cow, Betty . I make my own yogurt and soft cheeses. I would like to make raw milk kefir and kefir yogurts/cheese as well.
We are glad you are here & are switching to live grains!

I hope your grains do well. Dehydrated grains don't do well so I hope you receive healthy grains. Several of us would be happy to supply you with grains should yours not do well.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #664

Gallery: Maid of Erin
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
We are glad you are here & are switching to live grains!

I hope your grains do well. Dehydrated grains don't do well so I hope you receive healthy grains. Several of us would be happy to supply you with grains should yours not do well.
Thanks. I am excited about getting them. They are from a friend of a friend and I am waiting till they have enough grains to share. Couple of weeks?

I don't think I've ever had proper kefir so I want to try the real stuff . The culture powders make more like a buttermilk with a strong yeasty smell. I mostly used it in baking or hidden in smoothies for the kids.

I have always had a sweet tooth but it is funny how going lowcarb makes you appreciate foods you didn't before. I love plain yogurt now. Sometimes I add berries but most times not. I make my own and strain it till its thick like Greek yogurt. So good and I actually crave it and can appreciate its natural flavors without all the additives.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #665

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
WOW that is so cool you have your own cow in Ireland? Just like the Kerrygold butter, LOL I love that stuff!!! It is true that if you dont eat sweets you dont crave them as much I think drinking this kefir curbs your appetite too like what tastes good on top of sour milk? Umm nothing, LOL I am liking it best with raw milk or whole, and I do the 12/12 then it is thinner the way I like it but a little bubbly!

IAM- I told Tony I wanted my kefir and the top almost shot off I left a grain in one that I had strained and he was like holy crap!!! LOL
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

I told ya!
You need to ask him to "burp" the jars in the fridge grains or not! I had lids buckle on me & I had to toss them!

on feeling better!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #667

Wow. Glad I found this thread. I had no idea kefir could cause damage to the containers. My plan was to culture in glass jar covered with cloth. Strain, cover and put into fridge. So I need to losely close this lid even once it's in the fridge, right?

There is a website called gnowfglins I was reading how she makes kefir. She does one day at room temp with grains, one day with grains removed and it's as thick as yogurt without separation of curds/whey. Anyone try this and is that actually palatable? I imagine it is pretty tart at that point.

Can you tell I'm excited about getting grains? I hope I like it because it would be a great way to use up my milk.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow. Glad I found this thread. I had no idea kefir could cause damage to the containers. My plan was to culture in glass jar covered with cloth. Strain, cover and put into fridge. So I need to losely close this lid even once it's in the fridge, right?

There is a website called gnowfglins I was reading how she makes kefir. She does one day at room temp with grains, one day with grains removed and it's as thick as yogurt without separation of curds/whey. Anyone try this and is that actually palatable? I imagine it is pretty tart at that point.

Can you tell I'm excited about getting grains? I hope I like it because it would be a great way to use up my milk.
I used to always do a second ferment at room temperature with the grains removed. BUT my family hated how tart it got. So now I do 24 hours at room temp with grains. Then I strain the grains and put the kefir in the fridge. It still ferments but slower. If it is in the fridge for longer than 3-4 days my family complains about the tartness but I don't mind. We usually use up 1/2 gallon in 2 days and the like it just fine when I add flavored stevia, or throw it in a smoothie with frozen fruit & maple syurp, raw honey, or stevia.

You'll have loads of fun! And there are so many ways to try it.. as far as how long to ferment at room temp or in the fridge that it may take weeks for you to find your absolute favorite way... or you may find MANY ways you like it.

Blessings,
Shirley -- Phase 3 -- Total hcg loss: 88.8 pounds in 3 rounds totaling 145 VLCD days!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #669

Maid of Erin, is the Friend of a friend a definite hook up? I could get grains out to you by the end of the week, I have more than plenty to send out right away.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Maid of Erin, is the Friend of a friend a definite hook up? I could get grains out to you by the end of the week, I have more than plenty to send out right away.
That is really nice of you. I think it's definite, but we'll see. The mail takes a week from the US. Would they even survive that long?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, sure they would. I have had grains travel two weeks into Canada & do just fine. Let one of us know if you have problems getting some. I will check shipping rates to Ireland.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

To clean the jar or not to clean the jar?

So... for those of you veteran fermenters... Do you use a CLEAN jar every day for your fresh kefir fermenting, or do you re-use your fermenting jar WITHOUT washing it? If you do not wash your fermenting jar daily... how often DO you wash it?

AND are you a Lid on during room temp fermentation or a NO Lid on during fermentation?

Me:

I reuse my fermenting jar WITHOUT washing daily. I wash it out about 1 X a week or when it starts to smell SUPER yeasty.

I'm a lid user. I use plastic lids screwed on tight for my counter top fermenting time.

Today I've got yogurt fermenting in my oven with the light on... then I'll be straining it to make Greek Yogurt. The last batch I made was AMAZING. I did a 24 hour first ferment in the stove with light on. Then I dumped the yogurt into a muslin lined colander suspended above a large pot and let it strain for 24 hours in the fridge. I scraped the muslin cloth about 4-5 times and I got the thickest creamiest Greek Yogurt I have ever gotten!!! I think because I do large batches that scraping the muslin made a HUGE difference because more whey was able to drain. The good news is... it turned out lovely.. the bad news... 2 more of my boys have decided that they now LOVE my Greek Yogurt... so I have to share... . I made the last batch and this current batch with 1/2 cream and 1/2 whole raw milk and I do not heat my cream/milk above 110 so I keep it "raw". YUMO!

Blessings,
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #673

Quote:
I reuse my fermenting jar WITHOUT washing daily. I wash it out about 1 X a week or when it starts to smell SUPER yeasty.

I'm a lid user. I use plastic lids screwed on tight for my counter top fermenting time.
That's pretty much me too, except when I'm fermenting a whole or half gallon or resting directly in the milk jug. I was using canning lids but found the plastic lids recently and prefer those.

I need to make some yogurt...
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #674
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinemeadows
Shirleychef, I re-use my kefir jar one time without washing, and I use the canning lids on the jars. I do put a piece of saran underneath the lid, just in case.

Metqa's little guys are just growing like crazy here - and a good thing, as both hubby and daughter are now taking it daily.

I have to add that this is a godsend for hubby. He's in poor health (cancer) and had some surgery a couple of years ago resulting in mega doses of antibiotics. After that, guess what? Of course - yeast infection after yeast infection...even as recent as a couple of weeks ago. This will be the end of that craziness, for sure. I've noticed a difference in his general appearance just in the last few days of taking kefir - he's way less puffy!
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemeadows View Post
Shirleychef, I re-use my kefir jar one time without washing, and I use the canning lids on the jars. I do put a piece of saran underneath the lid, just in case.

Metqa's little guys are just growing like crazy here - and a good thing, as both hubby and daughter are now taking it daily.

I have to add that this is a godsend for hubby. He's in poor health (cancer) and had some surgery a couple of years ago resulting in mega doses of antibiotics. After that, guess what? Of course - yeast infection after yeast infection...even as recent as a couple of weeks ago. This will be the end of that craziness, for sure. I've noticed a difference in his general appearance just in the last few days of taking kefir - he's way less puffy!
Your poor hubby! You may have heard thus but maybe not... kefir can be used TOPICALLY to help with yeast infections... women can "inject" it for vaginal yeast infections and it can be rubbed on the skin for surface yeast outbreaks. Of course swishing if thrush is happening works great too!

You may also already know this but Coconut Oil will also help to kill yeast bacteria both in the gut and topically. Find a good quality expeller or virgin Coconut oil. Some of my favorites are Wilderness Family, Tropical Traditions and Nutiva. I prefer cold pressed virgin for topical use or eating without heating for optimum benefits. If you plan to cook with it then the expeller is great AND it usually does NOT taste "coconutty".

Sorry if this is a repeat of what you already know, but if you didn't... now you can super power heal hubby with the kefir and coconut oil team!! He'll be glowing in no time!! :-)

Blessings,
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #676
Junior LCF Member

Thanks ShirleyChef for all the info. His infections are always internal - he has two ostomies so he's much more vulnerable than the rest of us.

We do use virgin CO - all the time. It's either that or butter. We "saute" food in that rather than oil (sounds better than "fry"!) but since we don't do that every single day, he probably doesn't get enough of it.

I do have a question - I also take ACV (app. cdr. vinegar) in water just once a day. What kind of an impact would that have on the kefir in my body? I don't want to neutralize it or kill any of the good guys, so I've been drinking it several hours after the kefir. Anyone know?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemeadows View Post
Thanks ShirleyChef for all the info. His infections are always internal - he has two ostomies so he's much more vulnerable than the rest of us.

We do use virgin CO - all the time. It's either that or butter. We "saute" food in that rather than oil (sounds better than "fry"!) but since we don't do that every single day, he probably doesn't get enough of it.

I do have a question - I also take ACV (app. cdr. vinegar) in water just once a day. What kind of an impact would that have on the kefir in my body? I don't want to neutralize it or kill any of the good guys, so I've been drinking it several hours after the kefir. Anyone know?

I'm sure you already know this but with hubbies comprimised immune issues it may be best to start him slowly on the kefir. It could cause his body to have a die off effect which could really cause bowel distress. I've had some friends that have had to start on as little as 1-2 TBSP 1-2 times a day. Then gradually increase it. I've had friends who "thought" they were in excellent health start by drinking 1 cup a day and ended up with die off exhibited in the form of cramps and diarrhea.

I do not think your ACV will have any negative effect. However.. I do think you are wise to drink it at a different time, b/c they each have their own goodies that I would think might be best used by the gut if you drink them at different times. Maybe it would not matter... but it might. So I'd do what you are doing, drink your ACV at a different time than the kefir.

As for hubbie.. if he eats bread... "sneak" some raw CO over the toast before spreading it with butter or anything else. It is a great way to get CO in. I also add a blob to every soup, stew, chili, taco's, speg sauce.. you name it... not a meal is served in this house without a healthy portion of CO in it. :-) We go through a full gallon of CO a month.. .but I do cook for 8 people. We have 6 children between the ages of 7 & 15, and FIVE of them are boys!

Blessings,
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleychef View Post

I also add a blob to every soup, stew, chili, taco's, speg sauce.. you name it... not a meal is served in this house without a healthy portion of CO in it. :-)
Great idea. I always add to curries and smoothies but never thought about sneaking it in other ways. I can only get the flavored CO by me. It is high quality but sometimes you don't want the flavor in your dish. I mostly use olive oil and butter in cooking. I fry my eggs in bacon grease when i have any. Mmm. mmm.

I have a CO story. I never even heard of CO before LCF. I got a small rash on the top of my foot. It was really itchy and I thought it might be athletes foot or some other fungal. I bought some CO like I had heard about on this board and after two days, it itched terribly and was worse looking. I gave it another day and it was practically GONE. Those nasty yeasts act up when they are dying. It made a CO believer out of me.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #679

Shirley, I would love to hear any other healthy tips you have. We have 3 boys and 2 girls ( ages 8-12).
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #680

Do you use whipped or spreadable butter? Ever consider making a coconut oil butter blend.

You really ought to invest in a deodorized/non-smelly coconut oil. It will help you to be able to use it in ALL of your cooking.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Do you use whipped or spreadable butter? Ever consider making a coconut oil butter blend.

You really ought to invest in a deodorized/non-smelly coconut oil. It will help you to be able to use it in ALL of your cooking.
I could order CO from the UK. I wish they would carry it here.

The idea about the butter is interesting. I make my own butter occasionally so I could try a spread. I wonder if The kids would notice?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shirley, I would love to hear any other healthy tips you have. We have 3 boys and 2 girls ( ages 8-12).
One book that I love that has really helped me to change how I cook for my family is the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I make my family fermented or soaked "porridge", fermented or soaked grain breads. We use only natural sweeteners like raw honey, real maple syrup and stevia. I still use raw organic cane juice sugar when I make whole wheat oatmeal cookies for the kids. The only food in my house that has High Fructose Corn syrup in it is ketchup. I have an autistic son who eats EVERYTHING with ketchup. He loves the organis NON HFC ketchup but I cannot afford to buy as many as he needs in a month. But over the years as my confidence in feeding my family whole foods has increased we have decreased our purchases and use of processed foods. We raise all our own meats (organic grass feed) and most of our own veggies that I freeze or can for us. We are a bit of an odd ball family in our circles... but I know that I'm giving the best foods I can to my babies and hope that their current and future health will be better because of it.

I tell ya.. if you an get your hands on the book.. it will change your view of food. So fun to meat another "large" farming family!! You an also google Weston A Price for a LOT of great reading materials online.

I have a blog where I post recipes, cooking tips, etc but I also post a lot of other things like where I buy some of our foods, books, etc so I'm not able to post my blog address on this forum.

Blessings,
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #683
Junior LCF Member

Metqa - like that idea about some sort of coconut oil/butter mix - I think that would be super delicious! I may try that over the weekend.

Shirleychef - Yes, I have the book Nourishing Traditions....and it is very good. Also, the Weston Price Foundation puts out a magazine which has lots of great information in it.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #684

I will look for the book. We don't eat much grain other than brown rice and the occasional porridge for breakfast. The kids eat potatoes a few times a week, no surprise living in Ireland.

I just ordered some water kefir grains from a UK kefir group. cost is just postage. Anybody ever used them? I think it will be a fun project to try lemonade.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

Yes! Water kefir! A totally different ferment! Be sure to use spring or filtered water - no chlorine! Put grains in water 1/4c / quart & let ferment for 2 days! It will still be sweet but the sugar is eaten upzj sometimes I let mine go 3 days if it is still bubbling. I don't make mine fizzy but keep it in the fridge to either drink straight, add my aloe vera juice or just lemon or lime juice for lemon/lime aid.

You can frment with raisins etc but if you do be sure they are organic so the pesticides don't kill your grains. I have successfully made carbonated drinks as fizzy as soda, infact I made root beer. One of my favorite plain drinks is just to sdd a few drips of vanilla extrace to a glass- tastes like cream sods without the fizz. However if you do a 36 hour ferment, remove grains & tup it in swing top bottles & let ferment for several more days you should have higly carbonated soda! Your friends that are sending you grains will probably be able to help you with cariations I kinda keep it plain & simple.

If you have trouble getting your grains to bubble (kefiring) you may want to add a pinch of salt and/or soda - sometimes I take the membrane out of an egg shell that has been washed & drop it in. Just leave it in the grains as it will eventually disolve thoug several cultures. Don't use brown eggs as the brown coloring comes off the shells & floats in the kefir. Doesn't hurt anything just looks like yuck!

I kefired coconut wter once & had in a liter swing top bottle - it burst the bottle from pressure. I might suggest using plastic soda bottld for a 2F without the grains. This way you can feel when it is carbonated as the bottle will get tight.

OOOPs! You just asked if anyone has tried them... Answer is yes! Several of us have.... Most mainly do MK from across the big pond!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

I've converted milk kefir grains to use for water kefir and kefired juice with great success. It has been years since I've done it. Back when kefir was new to me I converted milk grains to water/juice ones just to give it a try. Someday I will get my hands on some water kefir grains but for now... keeping up with the MK is all I need. In the summer I also do KT... and I don't like to have too many things brewing at once or it gets to crazy! LOL!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

I have never tried to trans-kefir my grains. However, I tried an experiment with MKG & WKG in sweet tea (no KT starter) the WKG did nothing at all but the MKG did produce a SCOBY & tea real close to KT with Ph of 3.0 so I am thinking it was in fact KT. I said close as is one ever for sure on something like this??? :claidd

Last edited by iamfaithful; 03-12-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #688

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hello kefir friends, I am on day 12 post op and finally feeling semi human! I am pleased to report that I took my whole round of antibiotics and no yeast infection so I am concluding it was the kefir! My stock is now gone so I told Tony I need him to get me milk, now the jar I had in the fridge with the grains, I can drink that right? I had the grains in the fridge for 12 days now. So I will strain them into new milk on the counter??? This surgery has been rough on me, the results are good but it was way harder than I anticipated so I am glad today feels a little better!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #689

Congratulations on your semi-humanness, and your avoidance of Infection! It'll be good to get back to the kefir, eh?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #690
Major LCF Poster!

Yes strain, drink & add grains to mew milk!

Keep up the kefir & it should continue to keep you infection free especially yeast free! So happy it has worked for you! Worth learning - a yeastie is AWFUL!!! Now you know what to suggest to your LFC that will have PS done! Wonder what your Doc would think about suggesting it to his patients! Hmmmmmmm....

PS: thanks for the trust fall! I knew it (MK) would catch you!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 03-14-2012 at 11:20 AM..