Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #571
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,269
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemeadows View Post
I live in Texas, and thankfully, it's not 125 degrees here yet, so they should arrive safely. If anyone can do that, can you let me know???

Thanks!

Jeanne
Pinemeadows, When you get enough Posts to do Private Messaging( I think 25?) , send me a Private Message with your Home address, and I'll send you some grains.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #572
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemeadows View Post
You are so-o-o funny! However, the earth was just cooling when I came on the scene, so I just might be a touch older than you anyway!

I will just wait and see if anyone has extra grains. If I don't hear of anything in the next few days, I will let you know and you can add me to your list!

I remember using whole milk - and it may even have been raw milk back then. Now finding raw dairy is going to be more of a challenge, but I will be trying to source it again.

I didn't know you could put the grains in cream - that sounds delicious!
I think if you google eat wild or eat raw you might be able to find some lists that have raw milk providers listed by the state. Or I usually encourage people to visit health food stores, farmers markets, and chiropractors. Many times you can find a local source by asking at one of these places.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #573
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post

I am anxious to try the raw milk tonight I dated and now have everything in order as to what to use first, I am curious to see what happens after mixing the premade stuff with some more milk, I did it mainly to dilute it!!!
I once used to give a friend 1 cup of finished kefir, she'd plop it into a gallon of milk and it would kefir the entire gallon! She loved it! So I bet it will work if the kefir is good!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #574
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Shirley I totally get where you are at, I have been floating the same 5 pounds for almost 6 months now, I try all different things, if I were just below 200 I dont think I would care but its like that magic number I just cant seem to get under, so frustrating!!! I too have not weighed under 200 pounds since I was 13, so for 30 years that scale starting with a 1 has been eluding me, it will be such a mental breakthrough to get there, I think it will take the divine scapel but I am ready! Hack Away!!! I agree you have to be happy with the foods you are going to eat long term, for me I struggle with fats and carbs, need some carbs to work out like I do, but then must watch fats, if I eat too low carb I cant work out, and I dont like eliminating total food groups anymore, so I am trying to eat what is healthy is for me! I started the kefir for the upcoming surgery I am a huge dairy lover and after doing Atkins and beng afraid of milk, for me its great to drink milk!

So I took the new grains from IAM, and put them in a quart of the raw milk, let them sit out 12 hours, then fridge for 12 hours, delicious!! That is the first one I can drink straight, it is right at the borderline, but it was a good consistency, not too thick.

Tomorrow I will have the skim mixed with the premade stuff that has been sitting for 2 days, I like it thinner and less fermented, I guess my question is will I get enough good stuff with it if I dont let it sit out as long?
__________________
http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wB47MwP/weight.png
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Shirley I totally get where you are at, I have been floating the same 5 pounds for almost 6 months now, I try all different things, if I were just below 200 I dont think I would care but its like that magic number I just cant seem to get under, so frustrating!!! I too have not weighed under 200 pounds since I was 13, so for 30 years that scale starting with a 1 has been eluding me, it will be such a mental breakthrough to get there, I think it will take the divine scapel but I am ready! Hack Away!!! I agree you have to be happy with the foods you are going to eat long term, for me I struggle with fats and carbs, need some carbs to work out like I do, but then must watch fats, if I eat too low carb I cant work out, and I dont like eliminating total food groups anymore, so I am trying to eat what is healthy is for me! I started the kefir for the upcoming surgery I am a huge dairy lover and after doing Atkins and beng afraid of milk, for me its great to drink milk!

So I took the new grains from IAM, and put them in a quart of the raw milk, let them sit out 12 hours, then fridge for 12 hours, delicious!! That is the first one I can drink straight, it is right at the borderline, but it was a good consistency, not too thick.

Tomorrow I will have the skim mixed with the premade stuff that has been sitting for 2 days, I like it thinner and less fermented, I guess my question is will I get enough good stuff with it if I dont let it sit out as long?
I am so anxious to find a balance with food that allows me to maintain well. AFter my first round of hcg I was able to eat anything and everything within balance. It was WONDERFUL!! My second round... NOT... we'll just have to wait and see what happens in maintenance this time. I'm hoping I can find that right food balance again. :-)

I'm not sure if fermenting for just 12 hours gives as much probiotic benefits. I'm sure you will have more sugars left. Are you leaving the grains in the milk when you put it into the fridge for the second 12 hours?

The kefir cream I make is VERY thick. So when we serve it we add vanilla cream stevia and about 1/4 cup milk or cream to thin it. It is usually like 1 - 1 1/2 cups kefired cream to 1/4 cup milk or cream. It makes it easier to drink, though my family is getting used to it thick.... it is the tart I have to be careful of, they don't like it too tart.

I hope your skim works out well and I'm super glad you liked the texture of the 12/12 your doing!! You may find over time that you can ferment longer at room temp, once you adjust more to the taste and texture.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #576
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Yes Shirely I let the grains in the batch the 12 hours it was in the fridge, I dont want to drink it if I am not getting benefit, too sour tart, and too fermented , I am anxious to see how the others are, yes that is what I did I added some skim milk to the thick stuff to thin it down, it was so thick it didnt even run down the side of the cup to be mixed in my bullet, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #577
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,269
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I love my kefir sour and tart, almost like lemon. But I am weird. I've been storing my kefir in the fridge with extra grains cause they make a gelatinous goo that binds the milk together and make it super thick and viscous. Yum. I'm sure it's not fit to drink for anyone but me...
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
I've never gone from frige to rm temp and back and forth within a 24 hour period. This may slow down the grains even when they are at room temp. I'm sure you'll find a balance that works well for the grains, but I'm thinking that you probably will need to do more of an 18/6 ratio b/c it will take those grains a while to adjust to being room temp again and start eating.....

Have your tried 12 hours room temp... take out the grains and leave at room temp for 12 hours THEN refrigerate until cool and try it?? I'm just concerned that your little grains are going to get super confused and just not function well b/c cooling them slows them way down.

I could be totally wrong... maybe some of the others here will have a better suggestion for keeping your grains healthy AND coming up with a kefired beverage you enjoy! AND it might just be a lot of experimenting on your end until you find what works best since going back and forth from fridge to counter is not normally what allows the grains to thrive.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #579
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
OK new possiblity I will have to try that, leave out 12 with grains, remove grains but leave out, then refrigerate!

Now I added some of the grains to the raw milk and they have been in the fridge the whole time, how long does it take all in the fridge?

And when I put them in milk over surgery how many days can I leave them in the fridge and they will still be fresh?
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #580
Major LCF Poster!
 
pepperette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raytown, MO.
Posts: 1,849
Gallery: pepperette
I forgot to remove the grains once and the next morning it was like I strained them once I realized what I had done, but the taste was like a light cheese- farmers or muenster, so this jug I'm doing the same. I shake it everytime I get a glass so it is not too lumpy but still thick. I use whole (store bought ) milk. DS brings me only 1/2 gallon jugs so I do those.
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #581
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
OK new possiblity I will have to try that, leave out 12 with grains, remove grains but leave out, then refrigerate!

Now I added some of the grains to the raw milk and they have been in the fridge the whole time, how long does it take all in the fridge?

And when I put them in milk over surgery how many days can I leave them in the fridge and they will still be fresh?
I'm not sure how long it will take in the fridge, I only fridge mine when I want them to sleep. I'd smell it and swirl it daily to look for the smell/taste and texture you are looking for then you'll know.

I've done them in the fridge for a week or more and successfully revived them... but it does take a few days of milk changes DAILY and room temp fermenting to get them happily fermenting again. If you have to fridge them longer due to just not being able to deal with them I believe it is best to give them a fresh drink of milk at least weekly, every 5 days would be even better and of course you can use the kefired milk they've been in, but it might be a bit stronger than you prefer, but you can "milk" it down YKWIM?

Blessings,
Shirley - Round 3 VLCD 51 - 25.4 pounds Total hcg loss: 87.8
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #582
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Man kefir making is no joke, LOL I get what you mean though like they need the fresh warm temps and fresh milk to really thrive, so I am starting to see the big picture with it. It is so fun though, and IAM has some killer grains and I sure don't want to ruin them again!!! LOL I have so may things going on I forget what I am doing but this morning I had:

Skim milk I added to premade helios stuff that was too thick, that was tasty this morning, I let that sit 2 days I guess together, maybe 1 cup of each so in a pinch that is a good thing to do, I liked the taste better plain and the texture, I seem to like it thin, I guess cause I got used to skim milk.

Raw milk is still my fav and in fact I am here at my desk actually craving it! I cannot believe I am typing it, IAM will fall over!!! LOL

I am going today to get more raw milk since that was my fav!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Man kefir making is no joke, LOL I get what you mean though like they need the fresh warm temps and fresh milk to really thrive, so I am starting to see the big picture with it. It is so fun though, and IAM has some killer grains and I sure don't want to ruin them again!!! LOL I have so may things going on I forget what I am doing but this morning I had:

Skim milk I added to premade helios stuff that was too thick, that was tasty this morning, I let that sit 2 days I guess together, maybe 1 cup of each so in a pinch that is a good thing to do, I liked the taste better plain and the texture, I seem to like it thin, I guess cause I got used to skim milk.

Raw milk is still my fav and in fact I am here at my desk actually craving it! I cannot believe I am typing it, IAM will fall over!!! LOL

I am going today to get more raw milk since that was my fav!!!!
Yes... kefir making is a science... a pretty cool one, simple, yet complex.

Yeah... I'm glad your "mixing" experiment ended with a drink you enjoyed!

HA HA!!! Welcome to the world of REAL milk!!! We had someone try our milk that is into the "no fat" lifestyle. She thought she would GAG on whole milk. I explained to her that we feed the skim milk to our pigs b/c skim milk makes us FAT. I believe our bodies process the lactose sugars BETTER with the natural fat included, ESPECIALLY with all the natural enzymes that raw milk has. She came back telling me that she was SO full and satisfied after her first cup of whole raw milk that she actually ate more controlled and felt GREAT! BUT that she then started to crave it and was so excited to have tried the real milk!!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #584
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Maria Emmerich wrote few good books about metabolism and low carb and she is not a huge fan of dairy but she says if you are going to drink milk eat the full fat not the reduced fat cheese and milk, we get so brainwashed, it was like my hubby who says he hates milk, and only drinks skim but liked the raw milk! For me drinking a glass of milk always filled me up, and I will be thrilled to be able to drink a glass of raw milk and enjoy it kefired!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #585
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
OK I am so excited to tell you I drank a whole 16 ounce glass of my raw milk kefir while watching Idol and that stuff is actually growing on me, it was delicious and totally takes cravings for crap away maybe cause the taste of sour milk in your mouth makes you crave nothing else LOL But I enjoyed it, now I just have to make sure I have enough sour in it to be beneficial, I dont want to be doing it with not enough good stuff.

So I have a skim milk with half an half out, yesterday I got the raw milk, so now I have more of that, can you kefir in plastic bottles? I am running out of my quart jars, I need more, I used so many making the broth last weekend.

And I made some kefir friends at the Farmer's Market, the Polish lady that I buy her grass fed beef and pork from she sells the LIfeway stuff but she makes her own she says she always has grains, and the Greek guy drinks the raw milk, never tried Kefir but heard of it,and he is young and gorgeous I get my flirt on with him, he asked me if my my eyes were my real color, LOL I was drooling all over myself, I am old enough to be his Mom! LOL And the girl that makes the organic, SF, Vegan treats she makes and drinks kefir too, so I am excited to have some friends at the market into Kefir and raw milk. Never realized how much it was around me!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #586
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
OK I am so excited to tell you I drank a whole 16 ounce glass of my raw milk kefir while watching Idol and that stuff is actually growing on me, it was delicious and totally takes cravings for crap away maybe cause the taste of sour milk in your mouth makes you crave nothing else LOL But I enjoyed it, now I just have to make sure I have enough sour in it to be beneficial, I dont want to be doing it with not enough good stuff.

So I have a skim milk with half an half out, yesterday I got the raw milk, so now I have more of that, can you kefir in plastic bottles? I am running out of my quart jars, I need more, I used so many making the broth last weekend.

And I made some kefir friends at the Farmer's Market, the Polish lady that I buy her grass fed beef and pork from she sells the LIfeway stuff but she makes her own she says she always has grains, and the Greek guy drinks the raw milk, never tried Kefir but heard of it,and he is young and gorgeous I get my flirt on with him, he asked me if my my eyes were my real color, LOL I was drooling all over myself, I am old enough to be his Mom! LOL And the girl that makes the organic, SF, Vegan treats she makes and drinks kefir too, so I am excited to have some friends at the market into Kefir and raw milk. Never realized how much it was around me!
You know why it decreases cravings??? B/c it kills unfriendly candida yeast in your gut... that candida yeast CAUSES cravings. PLUS it builds your gut with beneficial bacteria which also aids in decreasing cravings. WAHOOO!

I would not recommend kefiring in plastic b/c plastic can harbor bacteria which could effect the fermentation process or even hurt the grains. :-( I tell people to visit supper clubs or bars and ask if they get any of their condiments, olives or pickles, in gallon glass jars. AND if they do, would they be willing to save them for you. Most are and I find they make perfect FREE fermenting jars once ya get them cleaned up!

So cool about your new Kefir friends "groupies". I love it when I find real food foodies!!

Blessings,
Shirley - Round 3 VLCD 52 - 26.4 pounds Total hcg loss: 88.8
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #587
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ok I knew you would know!! But I can pour the kefir milk into plastic once the grains are out for storage?? Or I can quit being a cheap ass and go buy some more jars, LOL

Have a great weekend, this is my last one among the walking!!! SO I have to make the most of it, really looking forward to hot yoga today I need to chill a bit!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #588
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Just make sure the plastic is REALLY clean or I'm sure it will start to taste REALLY nasty b/c any bad bacteria will alter the fermentation that continues even when the grains are out.

I hope you have a LOVELY weekend!! When is your surgery?? Will be praying for you!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #589
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
For some reason I lost my subscription to this thread & had a lot of reading to catch up with.

Some of us kefir right in the milk jugs from the store. They are plastic but clean as they have only cntained milk.

Amber go get some more jars...or buy some pickles, eat them & use the jars.

My grains are accustomed to going room temp to cold and back again. If I don't have time to strain I pop em in the fridge then when I have time- strain & put inmore cold milk. I use the same jar over & over again never washing it. Just dummmp, strain plop the grains back in & fill with milk. They do great.

I do notice they are producing better kefir lately. They are getting a gel like glue that holds them together but not the gel like Metqa is prolly getting. Porcupine sent me some of his Super-strain grains and the kefir was like chia gel. I really couldn't handle it. I like tick & creamy not gelatenous. But what is forming and inding my grains together is making terrific kefir.

Amber, your grains will keep a long time in the fridge. Just check them after 7 days & if they have kefored change the milk. In the fridge only it may take up to a week for grains to kefir. It depends on how many grains you have in the quart...grains to volume of milk.

I like leaving my kefir out for 12 then refrigerate for 12 then strain & put in back of fridge to rotate to the front in 4 days. The longer it is in the fridge the more it ferments & increases in value.

I DID IT!! GOT JON TO TAKE HOME 3 quarts to drink! Of course I added vanilla & truvia to one, strawberry SF Jello to another & SF lemon Jello to another. My grandaughter loved all but the vanilla. Dad may have a fight on his hands...she loves to taste the kefir but this is the 1st time she has wanted to drink it. Jon has been having problems for about a month with diarrhea several times a day. I know it is stress & poor eating (he juiced only for about 3 weeks then went right back to poor eating-really messed his gut up. So today when he was here I told him he was going to take some home & drink it! I told him what's the harm? Hecould drink a couple glasses a day and suck it up. I have friends that HAD IBS & it cleared them up. So he remembered to ask me for it before he left. I TOLD HIM TO JUST STIR IT UP AND TAKE A COUPLE BIG DRINKS A DAY Maybe morning & evening. Told him he had enough for 4-5 days & I will get him more. I believe these little buggers will set his gut straight.

Now I have NO kefir in the fridge.

Jeannieyouneed 25 posts to send a private message. Jump on here & post a few real quick posts one right after the other so Metqa can get grains to you. Hers are my offspring! You will love them. I don't have any to send out yet but they are XXing (multiplying) very fast. I have a few people waiting so Metqa is your fastest bet right now!

So I think I need to ramp up my production & do 2 qt a day so I can keep him in kefir a while. I don't know how long to get his gut healthy...but if he will drink it...I will kefir it! Good thing Dollar General is 1/2 mile away cause they love their Dean's whole milk.

Ok now I am caugt up & this post will get my subscription back! Toodles!
__________________
Local IBKKF-898
You can find picts of my ferments on my FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/#!/faithfulto.jesus
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #590
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,269
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
the gel on the grains themselves are gelatinous, but not so the liquid, it's just thick like cream. the constitution of the gel binds the liquid and solids of the milk that would normally be separated and holds them together reducing the friction sensation ( that dry taste you get from over ripened kefir) on the tongue and providing a smoother mouth feel. I assume Chia gel is similar to flax gel in consistency? if so, my kefir is not thick like that. I'm amazed yours got that thick, I'm imagining what's in Porcupines super-strain, hmmm...
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 02-25-2012 at 05:48 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #591
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
Porcupine combined several sources (look back to early posts) & made a super strain that had lots of gel (he said it was called kefiran) which according to Dom was to be desird gor max benefit of the kefir. I like mine thick bubbly & creamy. Yes it was like flax gel. Chia gel isn't so much like flax gel more like having baby SCOBYs slither into the mouth and down the throat! I have gotten used to that so drinking chia gell before each time I eat is nothing!

Yjanks for the offer to send grains to Jeannie. I don't want mine to get so far down it will take too long for them to recover & now Jon took home my complete stock of Kefir (YESJ) so I have to douvle up. My grains love the Dean's whole milk & thrive on it!

I am always happy to see your litttle avitar pop up! & pepperette is so funny! She is popping on on the Dukan thread now. A bundle of laughter with both of you!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member
 
shirleychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
For some reason I lost my subscription to this thread & had a lot of reading to catch up with.

Some of us kefir right in the milk jugs from the store. They are plastic but clean as they have only cntained milk.

Amber go get some more jars...or buy some pickles, eat them & use the jars.

My grains are accustomed to going room temp to cold and back again. If I don't have time to strain I pop em in the fridge then when I have time- strain & put inmore cold milk. I use the same jar over & over again never washing it. Just dummmp, strain plop the grains back in & fill with milk. They do great.

I do notice they are producing better kefir lately. They are getting a gel like glue that holds them together but not the gel like Metqa is prolly getting. Porcupine sent me some of his Super-strain grains and the kefir was like chia gel. I really couldn't handle it. I like tick & creamy not gelatenous. But what is forming and inding my grains together is making terrific kefir.

Amber, your grains will keep a long time in the fridge. Just check them after 7 days & if they have kefored change the milk. In the fridge only it may take up to a week for grains to kefir. It depends on how many grains you have in the quart...grains to volume of milk.

I like leaving my kefir out for 12 then refrigerate for 12 then strain & put in back of fridge to rotate to the front in 4 days. The longer it is in the fridge the more it ferments & increases in value.

I DID IT!! GOT JON TO TAKE HOME 3 quarts to drink! Of course I added vanilla & truvia to one, strawberry SF Jello to another & SF lemon Jello to another. My grandaughter loved all but the vanilla. Dad may have a fight on his hands...she loves to taste the kefir but this is the 1st time she has wanted to drink it. Jon has been having problems for about a month with diarrhea several times a day. I know it is stress & poor eating (he juiced only for about 3 weeks then went right back to poor eating-really messed his gut up. So today when he was here I told him he was going to take some home & drink it! I told him what's the harm? Hecould drink a couple glasses a day and suck it up. I have friends that HAD IBS & it cleared them up. So he remembered to ask me for it before he left. I TOLD HIM TO JUST STIR IT UP AND TAKE A COUPLE BIG DRINKS A DAY Maybe morning & evening. Told him he had enough for 4-5 days & I will get him more. I believe these little buggers will set his gut straight.

Now I have NO kefir in the fridge.

Jeannieyouneed 25 posts to send a private message. Jump on here & post a few real quick posts one right after the other so Metqa can get grains to you. Hers are my offspring! You will love them. I don't have any to send out yet but they are XXing (multiplying) very fast. I have a few people waiting so Metqa is your fastest bet right now!

So I think I need to ramp up my production & do 2 qt a day so I can keep him in kefir a while. I don't know how long to get his gut healthy...but if he will drink it...I will kefir it! Good thing Dollar General is 1/2 mile away cause they love their Dean's whole milk.

Ok now I am caugt up & this post will get my subscription back! Toodles!
Thanks SOOO Much for all this detail. I didn't know that grains would be ok going from rm temp to fridge. I'll have to keep that in mind. I may have to rest mine for a couple days b/c I have an abundance right now and if the kids don't drink it b/f it gets too tart they hate it. I have over 2 gallons made and more fermenting on the counter... maybe I'll stick that one in the fridge now.

I love the fact that your son was willing to take it. I know it has helps me with my IBS... that is one reason why I miss it during phase 2. This week I've been drinking skim kefir and I love it! It is so nice having the kefir back in my daily diet!!! Although I can tell my body is re-adjusting to it... a bit of loosy goosy most days!

How does one subscribe to threads??I haven't figured that out yet.

Blessings,
Shirley - Round 3 VLCD 53 - 26.4 pounds Total hcg loss: 88.8 pounds
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #593
Major LCF Poster!
 
pepperette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raytown, MO.
Posts: 1,849
Gallery: pepperette
Ya know- I just bought some white chia seeds and received the black ones as a sample. Was thinking about putting it in my kefir and drinking it, but NOT waiting for it to gel! Never did like the slithering scoby down the throat thing!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #594
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
Pepperette, White & black do & taste the same-just appearances! That wuld be good in kefir but be sure to drink plenty of water because the seeds will absorbe liquids & keep you satisfied longer.

WHAT??? an old KT pro like you, Pepperette, and you arnt used to letting baby SCOBYs slither through the teeth & over the gums , down the throat & look out tummy here it comes?

Shirley, I'm thinking since you milk your cows the milk is "udder" temp when you bring it in to kefir so you have never taken COLD milk (unless you have very cold hands or fridged cows ) & dumped it in warm grains. I do it every day... These little guys are so tough!

A great way to keep your kefir from turning too tart is to do the 12/12 or 24 method then let it age for several days in the fridge. It keeps kefiring and mellows in flavor. I put the freshest jars in the back & move them forward like rotating ilk in the stores. Give it a try. Works with ALL kefir. Do you make watwr kefir either flat or fizzy for your kids. It has different properties from my understanding. I love it to make sweet tea a(cold) or any flavored drink (flat as I get my fizz from KT) #ut it will make carbonated juices for the family. My grains quit growing for the winter but still kefir. I hope they start XXing come spring & I can send you some. Look back on the thread...you might find posts about how to make it fizz. We kinda gotaway from posting on water kefir although it is a staple in the fridge.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-26-2012 at 03:15 AM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #595
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
Shirley, do you make kefir cheese - soft like cream cheese & then flavor with fruit for the kids to spread on bread or use for dips? Good way to use your too tart kefir.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #596
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
Shirley, to subscribe you just post a reply to a thread. After that it will show under subscriptions in your control panel & you can edit from there as to notifications etc.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #597
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,454
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
OMG all this info I cant keep up!! Kefiring is serious, LOL OK so Tuesday IAm I put half the grains you sent me in a quart of raw milk in the fridge and did nothing, now what should I do with them? Those were my backups. Now I did skim milk with a little half and half mixed in, not crazy about that, decided I am doing only the raw milk, or 2% or whole, that is is, but the boys actually prefer skim so that is usually what I have, Tony looked int eh downstairs fridge last night and was like holy crap what kind of petri dish experiement is going on, I cant put tea in here, LOL I said all you have to do is make me shakes during my surgery! I will have plenty made.

IAM what do add to make strawberry the jello powder? I should try that, although I do like my protein powders and then its a meal. I got the Greens yak but I will do thse two since I am getting a cold.

Shirely my surgery is Friday 3/2, I am stressing I feel like I am getting a cold, I had to stop all my supplements cause of the anesthia and bleeding risks, and I cant take any OTC stuff, but I did take some Vit C and zinc, if I get sick this will be so far pushed off! I know how busy he is, and I have everything arranged at work!

Going to drink my 12/12 kefir of raw milk, I love that, I love that plain!!!

Have a good weekend!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #598
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 58
Gallery: pinemeadows
metqa and iamfaithful - thanks for making sure I can get some milk kefir grains! I will post here, there, and everywhere to get my post count up so I can do the pm thing.

I'm looking at tweaking my present low carb WOE to JUDD....and would love to have kefir on those up days!
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!
 
iamfaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,719
Gallery: iamfaithful
prime meadows looks like that was #25. PM Metqa & she can give you directions!

Ambed with the grains on hold- do nothing! But in 7 days or so check them to see if they need straining! If so you will have extra kefir! Like Kombucha when it rests it still makes baby SCOBYS! Nice isn't it?

Amber use some salene spray in the nose (or rinse) it will hekp with the head cold - since the salt is an astringent it will help the symptoms & also salt is a healer. And you can't OD on it-well maybe if you used it every 5 minutes Get to feeling better. Did you find any promising houses? Dinner sounded wonderful- was Bobby with you or was it a romantic evening?
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #600
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 58
Gallery: pinemeadows
Done and done! It wasn't as hard to get up to 25 as I thought it would be.

Gee...25 posts since 2003. Getting a little wordy, aren't I?
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.