Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I will see how this shipper sends the Tibetan MK grains and let you know! Your triple bagged method seemed to work fine.

I was wondering if the MK grains were edible. They don't taste too bad. I've been drinking it out of the jar with a straw and sometimes some chunks come through.

How should the MK turn out? In mine, the cream rises to the top and gets really sour (and delicious!), then in the milk part there is some sour watery sections that are good mixed in with the milky parts.

Would you use WKG for fermenting coconut water? I started a batch of coconut water with the wildernessfamilynaturals kefir starter powder but I can't really tell if it is doing anything.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I will see how this shipper sends the Tibetan MK grains and let you know! Your triple bagged method seemed to work fine.

I was wondering if the MK grains were edible. They don't taste too bad. I've been drinking it out of the jar with a straw and sometimes some chunks come through.

How should the MK turn out? In mine, the cream rises to the top and gets really sour (and delicious!), then in the milk part there is some sour watery sections that are good mixed in with the milky parts.

Would you use WKG for fermenting coconut water? I started a batch of coconut water with the wildernessfamilynaturals kefir starter powder but I can't really tell if it is doing anything.
Yes, in fact I scored 2 raw coconuts the other day @ asian mkt for coconut milk-never tried it-
They are almost 3lb each!I would have bougt a dozen if they had them 99˘ each! Just put some grains in coconut milk & kefir as with sugar water. Do you have live grains? I can send some?

MK grains & WK grains ARE good dto munch on, add to smoothies, etc & it is a terrific way to keep them under control so they don't run you out of storage room & you can sneak them into families food & they would never know hehe

Mk if it is separating is really over done but mix it in & you are good. Water @ bottom is whey ahas MANY uses! You can get overrun with that too- cal me if you want some uses...

If it is separating before 24 hours use less grains or ferment shorter time-remove grains & ferment a second day with tight lid on...shake & refrigerate. One expert doesn't finish his ferment til it separates-but how does he get the grains out...it is hard for me.

good luck! Let me know if you need ever to really talk....
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Hey , I got a question.

I've got these milk kefir grains right, but read that the first few batches after being in transit will be unbalanced so to let it ferment a few batches before trying to taste it.

So I have been putting them in milk and letting it sit 24 hours. but it's turning curdly really really fast. I read that means that I need to use more milk or less grains.

Faithful, The amount of grains you sent me, how much milk do you use with it? Also, I'm gonna be gone for 2-3 days this weekend, so I was told to put the grains in 3 x as much milk and let it set on the counter - or- put it in fresh milk and refrigerate it . ( cooling it will mean it will take longer to get back in balance.

Anyway, I wondered how much milk you use, and because I'll be starting HCG again probably next week, what could I do with the kefir because I won't be able to drink it cause of the fat content. Could I make kefir cheese with the curds and would they keep?

I guess I should go read Dom Kefir's pages a lot more. I never expected to have Kefir so soon!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a nice score on the raw coconuts. I think I have seen immature coconuts for coconut water at Wegmans but I don't remember for sure. The stuff I got from Amazon turns out to be pasteurized which I don't really like.

Dumb question....what grains do you use for coconut water? MKG or WKG? I'm guessing WKG?

Ah ok so that's whey in there that I am seeing. It tastes good. The creamy part on the top gets really sour and is delicious. Yes if the MKG keep XX'ing like that I am going to have nightmares!

Maybe I need to shake them more during the fermentation and see how that goes. This last one it did the whole gallon in less than 24 hours and XX'd what looks like about 3 times or maybe more the original volume.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Dukan
Thought I'd stop by and see if I can join the Local Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermentors? Faithful knows me from the Dukan thread. I have ordered both milk and water kefir grains from Yemoos Nourishing Cultures. Hopefully they will be good grains, otherwise I may be begging some from one of you. Not sure how I will work the WK into Dukan. Any ideas for doing it with no or minimal sugar? Hopefully my grains will arrive soon. Can't wait to get started.

Susan
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Susan!
There are just a few of us here so invite everyone to join us!
Yep, from what Porcupine is saying... he will have them coming out his ears soon! & he has more coming.... poor Porcupine! He may have to eat them for dinner one night! Put some in the fridge and slow down their growth a little. & Yes shaking or stirring during fermentation will help keep it from separating... mainly it is because it is too hot (70-75 is what they like) & it ferments too fast, or there are too many grains in the milk, or you cultured it wayyyy looooong.

Metqa, it only takes about a tablespoon for a quart! Otherwise it may kefir too fast... this causes separation, Porcupine... but u can mix it back in and drink away... makes it hard to get grains out from the curd.

You can put your kefir grains in refrigerator, in fact mine are there right now! I have 5 qt of kefir and cant get it all drunk. You dont have to wait for transit to drink your kefir. Metqa, you probably have too many in your little container... if it is a pint, they are so big, just try one biggie for a 24 hour ferment.

When you go away cover them with milk by a couple inches and put them in the fridge... they will kefir in there but at a slower rate... A short time of refrigeration doesnt make them dormant... they will be fine even for a week or two... If you put them on the counter for that long you will really have tight curds when you return.. I would refrigerate them...

As for your diet.... if it is the fat on the diet not the milk.... kefir them with FF Milk.. you dont have to use whole or 2% milk... it wont be as thick but it will still have all the benefits. Yes you can make cheese from any percentage of milk. Just hang it out in a bag or whatever you would use for several hours, over night, all day/night... until it is as thick as you would like... I make cream cheese like that all the time & put fruit puree & truvia to sweeten.

Porcupine.... raw young coconuts can be found real inexpensive at most any asian/chinese market very reasonable.. puncture the top and pour it out! And YES' WKG are what you use for coconut water kefir. Same directions! no sugar needed as the coconut water/milk has it in it already.

Hope I got everyones questions & again stilldews feel free to jump in any time... BTW Porcupine is the one that came up with LBKKF 898
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

That's great! Yes mine has overkefired I think. Those MKG from faithful are real workhorses! Now after a day in the fridge it has separated quite a bit more into whey and curds. Both are delicious. Especially the curds part. It tastes like a milkshake to me. I'm glad to see it making the whey because I'm going to need that for making sauerkraut and kimchi soon.

Yes if you end up needing some grains I can send you some! The ones faithful sent are XX'ing like crazy. I'll be brewing one to two gallons per week so that will produce plenty of grains. You don't have to add sugar or sweetener to it. I think what happens is the longer it ferments, the more lactose (milk sugar) gets converted to lactic acid, so it reduces the carb content. Yes all are welcome in LBKKF 898! The name should probably actually be IBKKF Local 898 International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters - Local 898

Ok I need to look for an Asian/Chinese market. I think Wegmans has immature coconut but they are $2-$3 each there I think.

I've been sucking down 1/2 gallon+ per day of kefir, yogurt, clabber and still maintaining my weight. Granted it has reduced my intake of meat.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #38

Okay I need to print all that out and pin it to my cabinet!
Thanks for all the tips, they are perfect explanations

Quote:
Metqa, it only takes about a tablespoon for a quart!
a QUART! I have at least a quarter cup of grains! Okay, I'll change the ratio. I just bought some full fat milk for this week and next and then I'll try it with Fat Free milk. Hmm, I might actually split up the grains and try them both this week. Maybe I can make some FF kefir cheese to have
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldews View Post
Thought I'd stop by and see if I can join the Local Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermentors? Faithful knows me from the Dukan thread. I have ordered both milk and water kefir grains from Yemoos Nourishing Cultures. Hopefully they will be good grains, otherwise I may be begging some from one of you. Not sure how I will work the WK into Dukan. Any ideas for doing it with no or minimal sugar? Hopefully my grains will arrive soon. Can't wait to get started.

Susan
and glad you found us! We are a little nuts here but then you understand that!

You can work in the WK grains just fine. Use the recommended amt of sugar but ferment it for a full 48 hours. The grains eat the sugar! They give off a healthy probiotic & the remaining sugar is prolly less than 20% (about 1/2 tsp/8oz) at that is frutose. You can make it into tea, freeze for Ice cubes lots of uses!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

OK IBKKF it is then!

Anyone want to add a logo to their signature? Feel free!

Porcupine thanks for the suggestion!

Meat really isnt that good for us anyway and milk is cheaper.
Wish I had a farmer to get raw milk!

Metqa.. Sometimes if the grains are big enough only 1 or 2 will work! Sandy raised some terrific kids,didnt she!

Remember we can eat the grains... MKG look like cauliflower - wonder if we can sneak them in salads???

Please remember the richer the fat content the thicker the kefir.

Porcupine ~ have you successfully found an easy to get the grains out of the curd? What works for you?

Have a Blessed day IBKKF!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Anyone want to add a logo to their signature? Feel free!

Porcupine thanks for the suggestion!

Meat really isnt that good for us anyway and milk is cheaper.
Wish I had a farmer to get raw milk!

Metqa.. Sometimes if the grains are big enough only 1 or 2 will work! Sandy raised some terrific kids,didnt she!

Remember we can eat the grains... MKG look like cauliflower - wonder if we can sneak them in salads???

Please remember the richer the fat content the thicker the kefir.

Porcupine ~ have you successfully found an easy to get the grains out of the curd? What works for you?

Have a Blessed day IBKKF!
Are you reading my mind!! Today in the supermarket , I found myself buying a lot of dairy and realized that while I don't drink milk, I eat a lot of it in other forms. I began to wonder since I'm trying to eat high fat this week how I've been gravitating toward high fat dairy more than high fat meat , and pondered which was cheaper milk or meat.

Seriously!! I asked myself that exact question around 4:30pm while I was walking to the checkout at Kroger!

While I disagree that meat is not good for us, I do often go without it for stretches in favor of dairy. I guess I seek the fat and meat and dairy is where it's at. Of course I love my coconut oil too, but you can't make dinner out of it.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

I should Have said meat is not that good for us- unless you can get organic...need I say the rest...

I actually bought a steak today but froze it-just couldn't bring myself to cook it or anything

Mind reader or great minds...

What kind of coconut oil... Just started using in my kefir smoothies but really didn't get right kind.. This is good but more for cooking - I was at asian market & grabbed what they had

off the thread- I was told on a post @ KKU one lady puts egg shells not for the calcium but because it mellows the flavor; another does it for added carbonation. Since mine are in CB with your baby, I wouldn't know the diff... Never made all black. Sometime can you make a batch with shells and give me your pinion about taste & carbonation level.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-30-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #43

I heard it makes it mellow too, but since I drank mine near vinegar-like, mellow wasn't what I was interested in
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

It does seem to take on a bit of vinegar smell after a while I noticed too. To get the grains out, I have been putting them into coarse cheese cloth and rinsing with cool water. I'm not sure rinsing is the right way to do it, but that's how Eat Fat Lose Fat said to prepare them for the next use so I tried it. I just got some Tropical Traditions coconut oil, wow that stuff is very very good. It has a bit of a bite to it, you can feel it kind of numb/tingle the mouth and throat when taking it. I haven't noticed that with other coconut oils.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm! Picked up CO from Asian Mkt, it is more for cooking but I put it in my Kefir drinks anyway cause it is what is there.. Mild flavor & less dense than other oils. I will be going to health food store in IN (we lost the one in Henderson-closest town to me) to get some VCO maybe nezt week. Should I try that or maybe another kind?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #46

i have both virgin and refined depending on whether i want coconut flavor and smell or not. Give me choices.

One is not more for cooking than another, but one could be better for certain types of cooking. if you are cooking a dish where the flavor and scent of coconut would enhance it , virgin would be better. When cooking eggs for breakfast I'd rather not have them smell or taste like coconut and I use refined.

When I'm making cocoa bark,or adding it to my lime yogurt like the flavor, but when making magic shell for ice cream I'd rather the flavor not overpower the ice-cream flavor I'm eating.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Agreed, the coconut taste with eggs just doesn't seem to be a good combination.

Say does anyone let their cat have any of the fermented milk products? I've been letting mine have small amounts just to make sure she didn't get sick on it. She seems to like it just fine.

Last edited by porcupine73; 08-31-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #48

I wish my cat weren't so uppity. My previous cat liked yogurt and would lap up liquid coconut oil . My current cat is a snob and sometimes won't even eat his food.

I think it's cool if a cat likes cultured milk products. since they don't have lactase after kittenhood, they can still enjoy milk without as much problems as if it were straight. Though raw milk has lactase and probably wouldn't be as much problem as store pasteurized milk anyway.

If he likes it, I'd say let him have some, there are much worse things a cat could be eating ...

Last edited by metqa; 08-31-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I'm the proud new mom to 2 pkg of kefir grains. They even came with an adoption certificate. I would guess there are about 1.5 TB of the MK and maybe 2 of the WK. I washed the glass jars and pour about 1 1/2 cup of organic milk over the milk ones and for the water ones, I added a couple cups of spring water, 1 TB of molasses, 2 Tb organic cane sugar, 2 turkish apricots and half a lemon. Covered them and put them in a kitchen cabinet. Hopefully I haven't done anything major wrong yet. I think I'll name them Cleo and Theo.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2...252520Cleo.jpg

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu

Last edited by stilldews; 08-31-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=stilldews;14963936]I'm the proud new mom to 2 pkg of kefir grains. They even came with an adoption certificate. I would guess there are about 1.5 TB of the MK and maybe 2 of the WK. I washed the glass jars and pour about 1 1/2 cup of organic milk over the milk ones and for the water ones, I added a couple cups of spring water, 1 TB of molasses, 2 Tb organic cane sugar, 2 turkish apricots and half lemon. Covered them and put them in a kitchen cabinet. Hopefully I haven't done anything major wrong yet. I think I'll name them Cleo and Theo.
[url]

Cleo & Theo are happy to be home with you I am sure! Make sure your organic milkis NOT
ultrapasturized- won't hurt them-they just won't kefir will. I had to switch to reg store milk cause unlike Porcupine (I am so envious) who has a farmer I live in the country & can't get raw milk!

WK sounds great & Now I can be envious of you too- I can't get them thar figs either. I do mine in rotating demacara & cain sugar then before the full 48 hours strain & second ferment for several days. They finally fot fizzy for me!

@ porcupine Sandy's dog loveskefir! Let your cat drink all she wants! But save your grains for salad toppers! Awh! Toss kitty some!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-31-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Cool on the CO & VCO - I like coconut taset but not on my eggs- did eggs in CO this am.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

I gave the cat some buttermilk today. She really liked it. The gallon of kefir is nearly gone and there's lots of grains in it so it's time to wash them and start the next gallon. I lucked out finding a place about 30 miles from home that sells raw grass fed cow's milk because there's not a whole lot of them in NY. NY is usually against individual rights but in this case for some reason they allow its sale at a farm by permit.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Too bad you can't mail it to me
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you have a big mailbox! There are places that will ship it anywhere. They use a farmshare method where they say you own part of the animal, and so you are entitled to a certain amount of its produce. So they say the money you pay is for the maintenance and feeding of the animal, and not for the milk, so they then say they are not engaging in interstate commerce as a result.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #55

That's what THEY say!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

We have a place like that here 50 min drive each way! And they don't have any shares available. I have never gotten raw milk- it should be awesome!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Hm that would be a pretty long drive. Most of the shares based programs I looked into are like you said, full or there is a pretty long waiting list. Right they may claim they are not engaging in commerce but of course our gov't often tries to take a different position. In PA I think raw milk sales are legal at the farm and in the store, that's where the place I heard about that will ship is based. I applied to their program a few weeks ago but never heard anything back so I'm guessing they are full. They require you to sign a contract about the commerce thing and stuff like that.

The cat lapped up a nice amount of buttermilk this morning. It was funny because at first she was just looking at it, but then when she saw me drinking it out of the jar I poured it from she started lapping it up. The buttermilk got super thick in the fridge. It almost won't even pour out of the jar it's so thick now.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Faithful, I checked my organic milk and it is just pasterized, not ultrapasterized, so hope it will be OK. The grains look bigger this morning and have floated to the top. I was hoping to have time to read the other thread at work last night, but naturally, we were busy, so maybe tonight. The kefir kit I got from eBay had a little sack with 2 of the figs and 2 apricots in it to get me started. Also got 2 sizes of widemouthed jars, 2 swingtop bottles, 2 muslin jar covers that are handmade, a nice plastic strainer, plastic stirring spoon, some cheesecloth and a couple muslins bags. Guess the bags are to make kefir cream cheese?

I bought a piece of fresh ginger yesterday. Should I slice it and add it to the WK after 48 hours and then let it ferment more at room temp, or let it ferment in the refrig? I am thinking lemon ginger might be good.

Last edited by stilldews; 09-01-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Ginger & lemon is very good!

Strain your grains, no need to wash.

Put your grains in sugar water per instructions & let them kefir another batch.

The kefir you have strained will probably have little "floaties" in it... and this is a good thing. They are tiny grains that will continue the ferment process a second time.

If you did not ferment all the sugar out and it si still sweet, just put the ginger in and cap it tightly ~ if it is no longer sweet add a little sugar to let the tiny grains have something to eat... it will add to a carbonation.

Put it in a spot for a few days and taste it. I use plastic pop bottles for mine as I can feel when they are tight, then I know the carbonation has built up and it will fizz. REFRIGERATE BOFORE YOU OPEN OR YOU MAY HAVE A MESS TO CLEAN UP!

As for your MKG floating is a good thing! Enjoy! Sounds like you have productive little babies! You may soon have enough WK & MK grains to share with friends.

You can put either in the fridge in the medium they culture for a week or so if you have too much kefir on hand or if you are going on vacation.

Happy Kefiring.... Let us know if you ever decide to Kombucha!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-01-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

The ginger and lemon sounds very good!

Does anyone know how long you an keep beet kvass in the refrigerator before it goes bad? For some reason none of my local stores have any beets right now and the farm stands said it is still about a month until harvest, so as soon as I can find some I'd like to make quite a bit if it will keep in the fridge for many months.