Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #541
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ok I will let them split I am sure Shirely can fill me on on the raw milk.

Shirley I liked the whole milk best sitting out for 24 hours then icy cold in fridge, so whatever you think for the raw milk, let me know! I don't want Kefir Protective Services called on me for being negligent LOL And I also want to enjoy it a little, to me the whole milk had the thinnest and least sour taste.
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Used the rest of my Dean's milk for grains last night so I put kefir in my scrambled eggs cooked with coconut oil this morning. Wow they came out so much flufflier! Never knew it was kefir in there! Don't know if it killed my bacteria- always wondered why people recommended COOKING with kefir & yogurt as the heat (I think) kills the bacteria. Maybe Shirley you can tell us?????

Have a Blessed day!
Cooking with kefir will allow baked goods/eggs/etc to have a nice texture but you do kill all the probiotics they are sensitive to heat. I still use mine in baking b/c I like what it does to the baked goods. If you want the probiotic benefits raw is the only way to get it... I think even freezing it kills it.. though maybe not since we can freeze grains to preserve them until we want to re-activate them in milk. There is a BIG kefir site, that I know of that might tell us whether or not freezing damages the probiotic effect of kefir... I'll check it out and let ya know if I find anything. :-)

Off to make kefir smoothies for the kiddo's for their snack before church!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Ok I will let them split I am sure Shirely can fill me on on the raw milk.

Shirley I liked the whole milk best sitting out for 24 hours then icy cold in fridge, so whatever you think for the raw milk, let me know! I don't want Kefir Protective Services called on me for being negligent LOL And I also want to enjoy it a little, to me the whole milk had the thinnest and least sour taste.
I just plop my grains into my fresh raw milk and let it sit at room temp until it is nice and thick.. it usually takes 24 hours if there is the correct ratio of grains to milk. Sometimes mine kefirs in 12-20 hours depending on how warm the house it and how happy the grains are!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #544
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Thanks Shirley! I thougt raw milk was just treated the sane way because Porcupine uses raw and leaves his for a long ferment of 3-4 days. I think she wanted to know if she should shake/stir the raw milk. Porcupine said often he would stir occasionally &s I do mine in store bought milk. You are a wealth of information.

I believe it is Dom's site you were talking about & he is so technical he is so far over my head I can't even see what he is saying most of them time so I gave up. When Porcupine was real active on this thread he would translate into terms I could understand. Thanks!

I knew cooking with kefir destroyed the prebiotics but didn't realize it improved the texture. Makes sense cause I like sourdough so well-just don't eat it now only special dinners!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #545

Interesting I dont like it too thick so maybe the raw milk will only take 12 hours!! like it thinner since I add protein powder, is adding ice to it OK to blend it???
Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Shirley! I thougt raw milk was just treated the sane way because Porcupine uses raw and leaves his for a long ferment of 3-4 days. I think she wanted to know if she should shake/stir the raw milk. Porcupine said often he would stir occasionally &s I do mine in store bought milk. You are a wealth of information.

I believe it is Dom's site you were talking about & he is so technical he is so far over my head I can't even see what he is saying most of them time so I gave up. When Porcupine was real active on this thread he would translate into terms I could understand. Thanks!

I knew cooking with kefir destroyed the prebiotics but didn't realize it improved the texture. Makes sense cause I like sourdough so well-just don't eat it now only special dinners!
I'm sorry... I do give my grains a whirl a couple times during the 24 hour ferment b/c sometimes the grains get caught in the cream and since it has less sugar I think it takes longer to ferment. I just whirl it at night b/f bed then again in the morning and maybe one more time in the afternoon... if I happen to walk by them.

If I let my grains ferment for 3-4 days I'd have kefir cheese!! Mine like the 24 hour ferment, if I go much longer than that it starts to separate into curds and whey. Now if that does happen I just shake it up, strain it and still use it... but my family does not like it that tart.

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention his site... I've already mentioned wrong things in other posts that the moderators had to pull and I feel really bad. I don't want to get kicked off the forum.. so I'm trying to be a good girl.

Yes... it is like using buttermilk or other type of acidic milk products that sours the recipe adding air/fluffiness. I've used it in pancakes and cakes the most. I like it in egg casseroles too b/c it is kinda like sour cream and we like SC in our egg casseroles. I think it makes baked goods fluffy and lighter, and that "sour" bit sometimes adds a richness of flavor too.

I just finished aging my buttermilk from Saturday. It is bubbly and lovely now! I hope to offload some tomorrow night when we make farm deliveries. If not then I'll have to make the kids some buttermilk pancakes and buttermilk coffee cake. :-) I have an awesome BM coffee cake that requires soaking the wheat overnight then making the cake.. it is more easily digestible that way and it has such a lovely rich flavor! Ok... I think I'm gonna go get the wheat soaking and make it for the kids for breakfast now... Ta ta!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #547

Shirley you deliver the milk too?? Man you are a busy woman!! I want to come over for coffee cake, LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Shirley, we have to come up with an alter ego for you. Amber is Wonder Woman who are you?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shirley you deliver the milk too?? Man you are a busy woman!! I want to come over for coffee cake, LOL
You'd be more than welcome... always! One of my online hcg buddies came by in December with her family. We had a lovely day here on the farm!

Quote:
Shirley, we have to come up with an alter ego for you. Amber is Wonder Woman who are you?
LOL! Don't know how wonderful I am.... just crazy maybe!

The kids loved their coffee cake this morning. I even let my autistic son have some since I find that often if I ferment the wheat he is better able to digest it.... we'll see what the teachers say the next couple of days. They might have a different opinion!

So... are we allowed to post recipes here that kefir can be used in?? The buttermilk coffee cake I just made would be lovely with kefir too:

Overnight soak:
2 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat Pastry flour or spelt work really nice, fresh ground makes it even better but I use what I have)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup buttermilk or kefired milk
Mix in a bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature overnight or up to 24
hours.
When ready to bake add:
1 tsp cinnamon*
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup succanant, or rapadura or sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds, I use what I have)*
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg.

It will be tough to mix into the soaked wheat, you almost have to chop and mush it with a strong wooden spoon. It will soften as you mix.

Poor into a 8 X 8 square pan or a pie plate. Sprinkle with a titch more sugar or nuts or both. Bake at 300 for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry. Stick it all the way to the bottom in the middle. I've had problems with the middle being doughy... which my kids will still eat... but it is an odd texture.

*You can make this "fancy" by reserving 3/4 cup of the soaked mixture and adding the nuts to it along with 1 tsp of cinnamon. Then mix the rest of the ingredients into the soaked flour mixture and crumble this on top... but I'm usually to lazy to do so and if my kids see "nuts" they won't eat them. If I chop them and add them to the cake... they gobble it up. BUT if you were making this for friends, doing it the fancy way is really nice.. especially in a pretty pie plate!

Have a GREAT day everyone!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Kefir Green Smoothie Recipes

I've been REALLY into green smoothies lately. These two have been my favorites lately:

1 cup kefir
1 cup frozen strawberries
5 ounces fresh spinach
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
stevia to taste
1/2 - 1 cup water to get it to the texture you like or extra kefir

Or
1 cup kefir
1 cup frozen blueberries
5 ounces fresh spinach
1 TBSP vanilla extract
stevia to taste
1/2 - 1 cup water to get it to the texture you like or extra kefir

Throw all ingredients into a powerful blender and whirl. Add extra water to get it to the consistency you like or extra kefir. :-) Enjoy!

YUMMY!!
Have a super day!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

Yes! You can post recipies we all do! This sounds so good! I will get out a pencil and write it down!

I am trying to think of all he lady super heroes - maybe Amber can come up with a good alter ego for you OR better yet ask your kids to pick one for you & give us their response.

IDK how young you are but you are a super hero in my book & we need to assign one (or create one) for you! Maybe something "down on the farmish" Like the all impressive wise Charlotte (OK that was bad!)

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-20-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes! You can post recipies we all do! This sounds so good! I will get out a pencil and write it down!

I am trying to think of all he lady super heroes - maybe Amber can come up with a good alter ego for you OR better yet ask your kids to pick one for you & give us their response.

IDK how young you are but you are a super hero in my book & we need to assign one (or create one) for you! Maybe something "down on the farmish" Like the all impressive wise Charlotte (OK that was bad!)
Love it!

I'll be 40 in March. I feel like I've been celebrating all month long b/c Feb 14th marked the one year anniversary of my weight loss journey. I weighed 235 last Valentines day, this Vday I was 147 ANYWAY, hubby is taking me away for my birthday, actually OUR birthdays. We were both on phase 2 of the hcg protocol for his 40th b-day. So we are going away for 2 nights & 2 days to celebrate turning 40 and our 17th anniversary. I'm 88 pounds lighter than I was a year ago, and hubby is 45 pounds less. We both weigh less than when we got married. Still getting used to the new me.

My children are 15, 14, 12, 10, 8, & 6. :-) 6 blessings in 8 1/2 years. :-)

Off to milk the girls!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #553

Shirley- WOW that is freaking super about you and your husband, I sure hope you enjoy your birthday getaway, you guys need it!!! Who will watch the kids?

I am with IAM I think the title of Wonder Woman should go to you, I had to think about this, but the only one I can come up with is Jean Grey from Xmen she is strong and more on the nurturing side which made me think of you with all your kids!!! LOL

Here is a write up for Iam, she also goes by Marvel Girl.

Jean Grey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pictures
https://www.google.com/search?q=jean...w=1258&bih=642

LOL

That coffeecake sounds good, I might have to try that!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

Yep! I agree Shirley = Marvel Girl! How does that work for you & the kids? You have to run it by them 'n hubby. Then we will have Wonder Woman & Marvel Girl jere. That will be so cool. Me??? I am the the tortise who just kept on walking...& walking...and walking... Nothing marvelous or super just in this race to get to the end!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #555

IAM:
Here is a story for you, I love this!!!! You could always be Catwoman,she was super cool, I think we need to make you one, like you need a cape with a K, for Kefir and Kombochu, and you need to have a hammer and screwdriver hand as your superpower cause of all the housework, this is when I wish I could draw, LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

I am lauging so hard it is potty time

Susan needs to be Cat Woman! She has cats! Is way cool! And has almost met her goal since starting Ducan in &ugust! Should we jump over the and bestow that Super power on her?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-20-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

The kids are off to school right now... I'll ask when they get home.

I had 1 1/2 gallons of cream to use up and didn't feel like making butter so I made them blueberry ice cream, strawberry ice cream and peach ice cream. I had all these fruits frozen from summer harvests in our local area. I used only stevia in them and no egg yolks this time, just cream and a titch of milk, the fruit (blended with the milk so the there are no big chunks, the kids like is smooth), and stevia.

Then made them some organic whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (used butter & lard instead of shortening).

Oh... my chicken broth turned out so lovely.. making the kids chicken soup with whole wheat home made noodles for dinner....

Off I FLY!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Ooops, forgot to say that our neighbor will be helping the 3 bigs run the farm and the 3 littles are staying with friends. So I can RELAX... I might do something I've NEVER done before like get a massage or pedicure. AND I think I'm going to get my hair highlighted... to hide the grey. Might do some shopping too.. I have to find a dress for hubbies nieces wedding in May and I really need a new swim suit too. I never get to shop alone so it might be fun to start looking for these when I'm not totting kids with me.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Wow girl you make me tired just thinking about all you are doing. I just rolled & brushed 5 doors in my house & for me that was all I could handle for the day. I can remember being your age (physically as % am still somewhere between 20-33) I had so much energy. Worked three jobs, had a family to tend to, co-pastored a church & did anything I could get my hands into including cross stitch, & quilting. Now 5 little doors & it is a day for me! Enjoy it while you can & save me some of that ice cream...No STEVIA though - I can't handle it! A spoonful of sugar in a pint is sweet enough for me!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-20-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

& OOPS! & yes enjoy that romantic restful get a way! tu deserve it! Terrific kids & neigbors to help out. The kids running the farm says what good parents you are! (pat on the back) we don't have one of those. But we do have
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

FYI

Just learned from a cultured food we site there is only 1 carb per serving for kefir. They didn't state thhe size of the serving so I suppose it t be 8 oz. However, if it was only 4oz that would still make it 2 carbs for a serving.

Those sweet little kefir grains eat all the lactose! That is why it is so tart! NO CARBS to make it sweet! Think I will grab a jar and have some!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-20-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #562
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinemeadows
new (again) to kefir

Hi - I've been on this board for ages and ages - but never thought to look for a kefir discussion. I'm so glad to have found you all!

I have been making changes to my lifestyle for awhile now - have lost about 30 pounds in the last year or so - and decided to try some other new things, only one of which is to start making kefir again. It's been many, many years since I did this - (yes, I'm old) and I certainly don't even remember why I stopped. I have joined a couple of Yahoo groups that discuss all the how-to's...that was before I found you guys!

Anyway, I would love to purchase healthy grains from someone - I live in Texas, and thankfully, it's not 125 degrees here yet, so they should arrive safely. If anyone can do that, can you let me know???

Thanks!

Jeanne
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #563

Shirley like seriously I want to come eat homemade ice cream and homemade noodles, how do you do it all???? I want you to get everything done, hair, nails, massage, you name it!!! Just enjoy every minute and totally focus on you!! You are my hero!!!

I told IAM that I had the Helios organic kefir in the bottle and it was so thick so she suggested adding a little to skim milk and see what happens so I am going to measure and let you know!!! A good experiment, I can't wait to try the raw milk, should I shake it up before pouring it or pour straight from the gallon???
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanne some of us have grains we can send but we DON'T sell them but will send for the postage. I have just sent out grains & it would be a few weeks but maybe Metqa has some she can send. I am sure she will let us know of she does - she is good about responding.

We are glad to have you here! So happy you found us! You can't be older than I am because Methusla was my little brother

Keep watch! One of ou will have grains! What was your fav kind of milk to kefir?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Shirley like seriously I want to come eat homemade ice cream and homemade noodles, how do you do it all???? I want you to get everything done, hair, nails, massage, you name it!!! Just enjoy every minute and totally focus on you!! You are my hero!!!

I told IAM that I had the Helios organic kefir in the bottle and it was so thick so she suggested adding a little to skim milk and see what happens so I am going to measure and let you know!!! A good experiment, I can't wait to try the raw milk, should I shake it up before pouring it or pour straight from the gallon???
Shake or stir it up because the cream prolly rises to the top & you will not get the full effect of the raw milk. & you prolly need to stir it a few times as it kefirs so the grains don't get caught in the cream & be difficult to get out.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #566
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinemeadows
You are so-o-o funny! However, the earth was just cooling when I came on the scene, so I just might be a touch older than you anyway!

I will just wait and see if anyone has extra grains. If I don't hear of anything in the next few days, I will let you know and you can add me to your list!

I remember using whole milk - and it may even have been raw milk back then. Now finding raw dairy is going to be more of a challenge, but I will be trying to source it again.

I didn't know you could put the grains in cream - that sounds delicious!

Quote:
We are glad to have you here! So happy you found us! You can't be older than I am because Methusla was my little brother

Keep watch! One of ou will have grains! What was your fav kind of milk to kefir?
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #567

Pinemeadows I had a kefir accident and then IAM had to send me more, but I am prepared now!!! So sorry if you have to wait a bit that was my fault!

OK IAM's new grains arrived!! Thank you!!!!!

So I got some with quart of raw milk sitting out, I split them and put some in another quart in the fridge with raw milk--that takes longer but not so sour right???

3rd I took the ready made kefir and skim and put that in the fridge to see what happens!

So I have 3 experiments, I am going to write this stuff down so I can see what I really like, it looked like a lot more grains that the first time, IAM, so I felt confident splitting for 3 cups of milk, I hope so, plus you know me I dont like it too sour!!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Awww thanks! :-)

If you are talking about drinking the raw milk straight, yes shake it first. I even shake the kefired raw milk b/c the cream rises to the top and I want cream in every cup full so I shake it. If you don't shake your raw milk or raw kefired milk you'll get all the cream the first time then be left with skim milk (ewwww ). :-)

Enjoy your milk & cream! :-)

I was SHOCKED that the kids HATED the soup... they ate all the noodles veggies and meat but hated the broth... they've been on an anti broth kick lately.. I think I need to water it down more for them. BUT they LOVED all the flavors of ice cream... even the blueberry AND peach! I'm thrilled to have some other ice cream options besides vanilla and strawberry... I haven't made chocolate for a while so might make that next time.

My kefir grains are REALLY growing nicely! I'm combining the grains from the milk & cream every couple of nights so that the ones in the cream do not get undernourished. The ones in the milk are definitely growing faster. I will probably put all of them in milk at some point this week for a few days so I will make sure they are all thriving. I'm finally getting ahead of the daily consumption amount. WHEW!! I was running out daily. I think I have about 1 3/4 of a gallon in the fridge tonight! YEAH! I'd rather be ahead then not have enough b/c when I start running the blender it seems I have to make 2-3 batches of kefir smoothie to satisfy my crew!

I decided not to try kefiring the cream I make into butter because I freeze my butter and I'm not sure if the pro-biotic bacteria will survive the freezing.

I have 17 more days of my HCG/VLCD round then I can start drinking kefired cream. I'm using skim (ewww) kefir in my green smoothies daily right now and am loving having kefir again. My body missed it!!! I've been bored with meat as of late so am following a vegetarian hcg protocol for the time being. I may switch back and forth these last weeks but right now my body is LOVING the kefir/green smoothies!

So... here is my kefir green smoothie recipe:
1 cup frozen strawberries
5 ounces fresh baby spinach
1 cup kefired skim milk (I'd rather use whole or cream BUT cannot on the hcg protocol)
1/2 serving protein powder (to make sure I'm getting the right amount of protein daily since I'm not eating the meat servings)
1/2 - 1 cup cold water, until it is the right consistency
stevia and cinnamon (it is also FABULOUS with cocoa powder but I'm avoiding it right now b/c of the fat in cocoa powder)

Hope you guys had a great day and are having a relaxing evening!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #569

Shirley- I didnt know you are still doing HCG, sounds like it is working well for you!

I am anxious to try the raw milk tonight I dated and now have everything in order as to what to use first, I am curious to see what happens after mixing the premade stuff with some more milk, I did it mainly to dilute it!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Yep... I really fell off the wagon and for about 2 weeks didn't follow protocol but was still taking the hcg thinking... tomorrow I'll do better. So sad... lost 2 full weeks worth of losses and of course... gained.... I'm still up 1.4 above my lowest hcg weight. BUT hopefully it will be gone in a couple days then I can dip lower until my end date. I'll be ending sometime between March 8 & March 12, depending on how things go. I've FINALLY worked through the mental struggle of allowing myself to stop anytime I feel the time is right and I am NOT a failure or a quitter!! This has been a HORRIBLE brain game for me! :-( Once I hit a healthy BMI I like struggled to stay on protocol because I was "normal", for the first time EVER in my adult life.. the last time I weighed what I do now was when I was 13 years old. I do have more abnormal fat to lose (obvious when naked ). But I really had to struggle through giving myself permission to STOP before reaching 135 if I NEED to stop or just WANT to stop and by doing so I'm NOT a quitter or a failure!! Probably sounds silly.... but it has been about a 2 week psychological struggle for me.

When I finally gave myself permission to stop before reaching 135... I got my mo jo back and have been sticking to protocol MUCH better!

You probably saw in my profile that I've come from being 235 pounds to a current weight of 148. I started to lose weight last Feb 14th. So, I'm a completely new me...still getting used to it.... but wonder if I can make me a little MORE healthier than just "normal".

This last round has been REALLY hard for me... but good. It has forced me to work through a LOT of food issues and decide what is important to me. I've really missed my coconut oil, broth, and kefir and am excited about getting back to those foods full force when I enter phase 3. For now getting skim kefir has been like the BEST!!!

Today though I feel like meat. So I had my green kefir smoothie divided between breakfast and dinner and am having chicken of lettuce with my tangy mustard dressing for dinner.

I still may decide to quit hcg before March 8th... I've decided to just take it one day at a time.