Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
I am letting my coconut milk kefir culture another day. I am so excited- even with the big mess in the house the grankids are coming over this afternoon . I promised they could help paint so % am going to ask dad if they can have a sleep over (dont know-we will all 3 have to sleep in my queen bed I guess) but if they can stay (i hope ) I will get my icecream maker out & we will turn the coconut milk into icecream for them-bake Larry a small cake (his Bday tomorrow) and they can have cake & Kefir icecream tonight!

I have 4 windows going in today . I really don't want them to do the one in my room yet but we will see if they have time. Have to scoop poop at 330 today. Kiddos get to go with me! Whey will have so much fun with the maltise & yorkie there! Oh my! Iam getting so pumped about today. Will have to txt dad & wake him up & ask about them staying.... Goodness I feel like a little kid!!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-17-2012 at 05:22 AM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #512
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
IAM- so happy for you, I know Grandmas love their Grandkid time!

I am coming here as the prodigal child, with a huge problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can hardly type this I am just sick and so mad at myself!
Last night I had my hair appt, then all the work to do in the house with 2 showings today--- so I got home at 6:15 and I am a maniac of nerves and energy-had to make dinner,--I had a crokpot full of broth going that I had to jar, and I had the Kefir to deal with to then clean the kitchen----well I was lifting the crockpot and I had my kefir out to do, and the broth splashed and hit me in the face, I jumped, and knocked over my kefir and there it went the mommy grains, OMG a huge mess of broth and milk, thank God, I have just a little spot on my cheek where I got burned, I am putting my scar cream on it, good grief what a freaking mess, I was so distraught! I am such a mess of nerves it was my own darn fault! But I am bummed, I had bought all these jars, was going to get raw milk, ughghghg! I did manager to get 3 quarts of broth jarred, I debated picking the grains up off the floor but thought better not do that, LOL

So IAM if you have more grains or when you get them, I will be sending you $5 for mailing to send me some more, ughghghg I am still getting the milk, I have to see how long it will keep I can go next weekend too to get it. Ughghg I was so ashamed to tell you I did this, but more mad at myself for being careless, I was hurrying when I should have taken my time, I also have better hot mitts on my list today to go buy that is what caused the whole mess, the ones i have started burning my hands!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hanging my head in shame!!!!!! I do still have 2 days worth left in the fridge so maybe I will find some already made this weekend that I can drink in the meantime!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #513

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Sorry you burned yourself!

If you havent already chucked the grains, you could pick them up and rinse them off with filtered water. They don't die that easily. I'd not be terribly worried about contamination since they are so vigorous. You could put them in a jar of filtered water, shakep em up, pick out any foreign bits and fur and let them sit in the water a bit so anything esle could float out and be poured off....But I supposed you've already thrown them away...
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #514

Yes I didnt know what to do with them, and I had to clean up But I know IAM will send more when she has them, and I might be able to get some this weekend at the place I am going
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Getting a package ready for you right now! Remember I said we had extras just incase-just didn't expect it so soon. Should reach you Monday!

Be gentle to yourself! You have so much going on. & Metqa was right! These grains are tough little dufdes & Contamination would NOT be a problem if you even rinsed them in milk. BUT that being said! I AM HAPPY you did not get hurt any more than a spot! A to just pitch everything was the right thing to do! Too bad about the broth! Hope you rinsed your bones to use again! If not get some chicken backs! It will be better broth for your healing time. Had a DR call it Jewish Penacillian.
Got to get your grains to the post office before noon! Toodles!

Metqa you are so smart! to you!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #516

IAM- thank you deat, I know I was like Oh my goodness not even a week and I messed them up, I am going to be very careful and do as you say soon after they grow put some in the fridge, knowing me I will need backup, LOL

Broth is fine, I got 3 quarts canned spilled maybe another quart but the rest was OK, my kitchen was not, LOL

I am going to the market today for more beef bones and chicken ones as well. You know the gelatin that forms on the top is that gelatin to eat or is it fat like what is it???

I like to do my chicken broth with fennel, onion and lemon, I love that broth!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #517

and I am sending you cash, so you dont have to go to bank, LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #518

Yeah, I think if your crock or glass had shattered then yeah, I'd toss them for safety.

I'll bet you have a big sticky mess to clean up.

Thanks Faithful. Talking about chicken backs makes me wanna make some broth! Haha
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Sent you a big spoonful! Don't send $ It is OK!

The gel that forms from broth is good stuff. Metqa prolly knows exactly what it is but it is NOT fat. I think itis the proteins but not sure. $owever I am sure NOT FAT! Fat will get hard & chicken fat may not get hard but it is kinda yellowish & you can tell it is fat (rub it throug your fingers & you can feel the grease) Drink all you can.

Metqa, yep I need to go to Rx store so will stop to get some chicken bones.

Installers could only do 1 window. Cmpany sent wrong trim fort the others & since I didn't need it for bathroom (tile going in) they just did it. Stinks though, I had everything covered & piled on my bed- now if I want to sleep there it will ALL need to be moved. But they did take off my windowsils so I can patch & I FOUND BLACK MOLD under one of them & behind wallpaper! Good thing we took it off- loads of patching including wall paper but that is OK!Blessings!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-17-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #520

gelatin, minerals and proteins from the marrow and joints. It IS gelatinous, isn't it? I add vinegar to pull out calcium also. Oh, and since fat rises, that would be mixed in there also, The fat is good for you. Keep it to cook with.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa THANKS! I knew you would have the answer.

I usually pitch beef/pork fat but use the chicken if it is not too much.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #522

I figured there was good stuff in there, I am all excited now to make my broth, I can tell I am nesting with this surgery just like when I was pregnant, LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Good comparison! You will loose your belly with each!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #524

LOL Yes you are right, and no screaming baby with this one!! LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
IAM- thank you deat, I know I was like Oh my goodness not even a week and I messed them up, I am going to be very careful and do as you say soon after they grow put some in the fridge, knowing me I will need backup, LOL

Broth is fine, I got 3 quarts canned spilled maybe another quart but the rest was OK, my kitchen was not, LOL

I am going to the market today for more beef bones and chicken ones as well. You know the gelatin that forms on the top is that gelatin to eat or is it fat like what is it???

I like to do my chicken broth with fennel, onion and lemon, I love that broth!
If you refrigerate the broth b/f heating and canning it you will see the fat floating on top. I usually discard that if I've let my bones cook for 24-48 hours b/c by then, in my opinion, the fat really is kinda yucky... and believe me I'm BIG on good fats!! BUT b/c I cook my bones usually for a minimum of 48 hours the fat is almost rancid by then.

Usually what floats to the top is fat... the entire batch of broth should be jello jiggly if you got a good amount of gelatin out of the bones. I think it helps to put a bit of ACV in with the bones/carcasses, but I don't always remember. The heat at which it simmers also contributes to the amount of gelatin that is extracted...

If you have a really great market...see if they have chicken feet to go with the chicken back/carcass. The feet are loaded with gelatin.
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #526

Shirley yes I put the Braggs ACV in the broth, I will look at it tonight the seal locked on the jars and then I stuck in the fridge, I did as IAM suggested and used crockpot I liked that idea!!! I roasted for a few hours and then put in crock pot on low for 24 hours, man it smelled good, strained all the veggies, and then canned the broth, I will try the chicken tonight, I roast those first, chicken feet??? OMG that might freak me out but after drinking that kefir all week I am tough!!!! LOL

Anything else you girls think of for healing after surgery let me know, I need to get back to work stat after surgery and heal quickly! I am going to try juicing some celery and asparagus as a natural diuretic with dandelion weed to help the swelling.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shirley yes I put the Braggs ACV in the broth, I will look at it tonight the seal locked on the jars and then I stuck in the fridge, I did as IAM suggested and used crockpot I liked that idea!!! I roasted for a few hours and then put in crock pot on low for 24 hours, man it smelled good, strained all the veggies, and then canned the broth, I will try the chicken tonight, I roast those first, chicken feet??? OMG that might freak me out but after drinking that kefir all week I am tough!!!! LOL

Anything else you girls think of for healing after surgery let me know, I need to get back to work stat after surgery and heal quickly! I am going to try juicing some celery and asparagus as a natural diuretic with dandelion weed to help the swelling.
I love doing broth in the crock pot too. I also often use my large plug in electric oven... a Nesco type thing. It works great for really large batches.

I haven't tried chicken feet yet. When we butcher we do 200-300 chickens in a day... and cleaning feet is the last thing on my list of things I want to do after gutting that many chickens! BUT I keep saying that one of these years I'm going to save feet to add to my broth.

It will be exciting to see how your body heals after the surgery with the help of all these power foods!! Do you use coconut oil and take Cod Liver Oil? Coconut oil is a fabulous anti-fungal and will help to counteract any negative reactions your gut might have to antibiotics or other medicines that they might give you that will upset your delicate gut balance. Cod Liver Oil... especially fermented CLO, my favorite brand is Green Pastures, is very good for healing too b/c it has natural vitamin d & a, most CLO's have synthetic.

BUT if you are getting raw milk hopefully it will also have good levels of D if the cows are allowed outside daily. My herd is in the fresh air and sun (when it is out in the winter) year round. I always get so excited when it is a sunny winter day b/c I know it will boost the natural Vit D in my milk... YUMMY!

You are drinking the kefir now too right?? It will help to boost your immune system pre-surgery. Same with the bone broth... even 1/2 cup here and there throughout the day will be very good for your body in preparation for what is to come.

Juicing is great but in my opinion green smoothies are more beneficial b/c you get all the fiber and nutrients from the fruit & veggies but they do require a really strong blender. If you do green smoothies and have a good quality coconut oil, melt some and add it to the GS too boost the anti-fungal healing properties of the GS. PLUS, good fats are so important to over-all health.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #528

Shirley the Cod liver oil- that is a good thing you brought up that I forgot about, I have even seen it used for scar healing as well, I will look into the brand you mention! You are a real farmer, LOL- I just play one on TV!! LOL I almost married a cattle rancher in North Dakota til I went out there in Dec, I said man you look like the Marlboro but it is too darn cold and I am not getting up at 3:00 am, LOL Fun times!! Lot of farms growing up it is sad to see how much farmland is gone since I was younger.

Good idea about the CO in juice, I am not a big juicer but I will be swollen like the Oompa-Loompa girl so thought maybe the celery juice would help! LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

We are new to farming, have been doing so for 4 yrs. Started small, 1 cow, 25 chickens, a couple pigs, turkey's etc. Now we are renting a place where we are caring for a lovely Jersey herd. I have about 100 hens, we raise pigs and the bulls/steers for meat, along with organic grass fed chicken for many in the area here. All our animals are raised organic, grass fed, antibiotic, and vaccine free. I have 6 children to feed and am doing my best to give them the best of the best!! Five of my 6 beg me for kefir daily! My autistic son won't touch it... so sad since he desperately needs it... but it makes him gag.

The GP fermented CLO is expensive but I have not found a brand that beats it in quality and nutrient content. I prefer the cinnamon tingle flavor. You primarily taste the cinnamon over the CLO. I also like taking it at night right b/f bed so I don't erp up CLO throughout the day.

I must say for a newbie fermenter you seem to be learning fast and enjoying this whole foods journey! Way to go!!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #530

Shirley, for your gagalicious son, have you tried making it into a smoothie for him? My Mother likes kefir cause it reminds her of buttermilk, but Hubby won't touch it cause he doesn't like buttermilk. But if Mom makes a fruit smoothie He'll drink it!!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Shirley, for your gagalicious son, have you tried making it into a smoothie for him? My Mother likes kefir cause it reminds her of buttermilk, but Hubby won't touch it cause he doesn't like buttermilk. But if Mom makes a fruit smoothie He'll drink it!!
Yes we have, and we still have him "try" it often. My other children usually drink it as strawberry or vanilla cream smoothies. I add stevia, berries, and some fresh cream... it makes it not quite as tart and boosts the fat content. Sometimes I put in melted CO too.

I think he might eat it in ice cream... BUT doesn't freezing damage the probiotics?? I had always thought that extreme heat or cold would damage the probiotic effect? I usually try to keep my kefir fresh for consuming so we get the most benefits. That is actually one reason why I haven't tried kefir butter b/c I usually freeze the butter until we use it or it will spoil. Especially when I have to make as much as I do right now.

Today I have a full 6 cups of cream kefiring plus 1/2 gallon of whole milk... two separate batches. I was kefiring 1 quart of cream a day but we are going through it too quick so I need to do more and my grains are growing so quickly I'm hoping there is enough to do about 1/2 gallon of each or cream and milk. I could stick them in the same jar but I like keeping them separate. Hubby prefers the straight cream and the kids like the kefired milk better. At least those that drink it straight with just a little stevia. The ones who drink it in a smoothie don't care either way.

I'm just thankful that we are back to going through 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon of kefir a day! Makes me feel like I'm super charging my family with gut building fuel!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #532

Shirley WOW my hat is off to you hun, 6 kids, I don't know how you do it!! Yeah I always had a little farm girl in me from raising vegetable gardens and canning and freezing some of my best times were doing corn with my Gram and her sister when I was a little girl and the bees would chase me and I would scream, they would have bees crawling in their eye glasses and not flinch! I had raised beds with organic soil at my last house, then we got divorced now I have no room for a garden so I am hoping the house sells because my hubby and I both like to garden. Yes this kefiring is fun, and I ruined it, but IAM is hooking me back up.

I got raw milk $4 a quart Wont be buying that too often! But it is waiting for the fresh grains! I was having real constipation issues and with having surgery and pain meds it will get worse that is why I decided to try this at IAM's suggestion, and man the heavens opened it is like giving birth when you finally go, I said I remember my Gram giving her poopie report and I said oh dont ever let me get like that, and here I am at 43 giving the poopie report, LOL But this is life! Yes I feel naked knowing I am almost out I have one shot for this mornings smoothie, I can relate to son, I gag at it plain too, but I Can do the protein powder in it!!!

I got my chicken necks and backs, yummmm that broth smells so good, fennel, onion, carrots and celery I added a little ACV I wasnt sure if I needed to do that with chicken bones? There was a lot of meat on those necks!!

Had fun with my Amish girls at the chicken place, they think I am crazy I always question everything, LOL
Now off to the bulk food place, that is where I was going to get the raw milk so now I got it, but I will get the oatmeal, lentils, quinoa, etc. they have really cheap prices and everything is organic. Hubs says he wants to go so that will be fun!

Have a good day girls!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #533
Major LCF Poster!

Shirley you are a better lady than I ever could be! 6 kids, chickens, cows, kefir Hubby... & I bet you kombucha too! Do you? I can't imagine processing 1 chicken let alone 300!! mind blowing! Just had grankids here for 18 hours & I am pooped!

Speaking of pooped Amber I am glad everything came out ok I can imagine how you feel-much lighter. I am still thanking Jesus for sending you the right buyerfor your home. Don't know how many things He has to move around to get them there. You really don't want to sell today because you have 6 weeks of recouping to look forward to & I just have this feeling if you were moving you would have to be right in the thick of things & would hurt yourself.

I decided to bring the Broth Making thread of mothballs so I posted there today. I didn't have any ACV so I used the Kombucha vinegar from my "resting CB" & I think it worked better than ACV as the bones are close to being dissolved today.

Took the coconut milk kefir (16oz) mixed it with about 1/2 pkg of coconut cream instant pudding & about 1/4 cup of whole milk. Then a splash of vanilla & some sweet coconut shreads. Put it in my Cuisinart desert maker and AWESOME!!!! really creamy! I put it in the freezer & it didn't get icy like when I use regular milk kefir. Don't like the coconut milk kefir but like it for an icecream base. Would do it again!

Amber you wanted some sugestions for healing. Kombucha is one but you already pssed verdict on that one

Need to paint trim & doors today but think I will clean up after kids & take a nap 1st & it is only 930am!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-18-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shirley WOW my hat is off to you hun, 6 kids, I don't know how you do it!! Yeah I always had a little farm girl in me from raising vegetable gardens and canning and freezing some of my best times were doing corn with my Gram and her sister when I was a little girl and the bees would chase me and I would scream, they would have bees crawling in their eye glasses and not flinch! I had raised beds with organic soil at my last house, then we got divorced now I have no room for a garden so I am hoping the house sells because my hubby and I both like to garden. Yes this kefiring is fun, and I ruined it, but IAM is hooking me back up.

I got raw milk $4 a quart Wont be buying that too often! But it is waiting for the fresh grains! I was having real constipation issues and with having surgery and pain meds it will get worse that is why I decided to try this at IAM's suggestion, and man the heavens opened it is like giving birth when you finally go, I said I remember my Gram giving her poopie report and I said oh dont ever let me get like that, and here I am at 43 giving the poopie report, LOL But this is life! Yes I feel naked knowing I am almost out I have one shot for this mornings smoothie, I can relate to son, I gag at it plain too, but I Can do the protein powder in it!!!

I got my chicken necks and backs, yummmm that broth smells so good, fennel, onion, carrots and celery I added a little ACV I wasnt sure if I needed to do that with chicken bones? There was a lot of meat on those necks!!

Had fun with my Amish girls at the chicken place, they think I am crazy I always question everything, LOL
Now off to the bulk food place, that is where I was going to get the raw milk so now I got it, but I will get the oatmeal, lentils, quinoa, etc. they have really cheap prices and everything is organic. Hubs says he wants to go so that will be fun!

Have a good day girls!
My mom used to tell me I was born 200 years late! :-) Now I'm living my "little house on the prairie" dream but with modern conveniences! Like using my food processor to make 3 1/2 pounds of butter today! :-)

We have Amish neighbors and love them! We know many in our small Amish community and are privileged to call several families "friends". I'm trying to convert them to real foodies! They grow so much of their own food but they are the most unhealthy group of people due to everything being made with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour, and white salt... it is very sad.

Seeing what you pd for milk makes me feel a bit better about having to up the price on ours to $5 a gallon here for the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Shirley you are a better lady than I ever could be! 6 kids, chickens, cows, kefir Hubby... & I bet you kombucha too! Do you? I can't imagine processing 1 chicken let alone 300!! mind blowing! Just had grankids here for 18 hours & I am pooped!

I decided to bring the Broth Making thread of mothballs so I posted there today. I didn't have any ACV so I used the Kombucha vinegar from my "resting CB" & I think it worked better than ACV as the bones are close to being dissolved today.

Took the coconut milk kefir (16oz) mixed it with about 1/2 pkg of coconut cream instant pudding & about 1/4 cup of whole milk. Then a splash of vanilla & some sweet coconut shreads. Put it in my Cuisinart desert maker and AWESOME!!!! really creamy! I put it in the freezer & it didn't get icy like when I use regular milk kefir. Don't like the coconut milk kefir but like it for an icecream base. Would do it again!

I'm not doing Kombucha right now... but I do in the summer. It is my favorite "energy" drink when it is hot out! I haven't been successful at getting my family hooked on it yet though. BUT I'll try it again this summer! I had a friend blend her Kombucha with raspberries in her magic bullet... let me tell ya... I could drink GALLONS of it that way. So I might experiment with fruits and blending the KT with them this summer to see if I can get my family into it!

I'll pop over and visit the broth thread too! I'm roasting 2 chickens today and the carcasses will go back into the oven or crock pot for a 2 day cook down into broth after dinner tonight!

Your coconut pudding sounds AMAZING!!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #535

Well I got raw goat milk kefir and raw milk kefir already made at the dairy, you dont even want to know how expensive that was!! But raw milk cheddar cheese, yumm!! Oh Amish food is bad bad bad, but so delicious, I grew up with all that stuff and really dont care for it too much but every now and thrn, brown butter noodles or chicken pot pie gets me, LOL

I only got 2 quarts of broth I guess I had a lot of veggies in it, but man it tastes so good I love fennel in it, then got into this huge project of organizing the pantry LOL Hot yoga, Tony couldnt do it he went out half way the teacher kept checking on him, I dont think he ate or drank enough, I tell him all the time he needs to drink more water!

So I will have the goat milk kefir I will taste it plain and see how that is!!! LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Yes I would like to know how pricy it is. I know Lifeway is around $3.69 @WM for a pint so am guessing around $6 cause you paid $5 for Kombucha. It is nice to know what we are saving even though I am mot using raw because I can't get it. I am going to Evansville IN for a birthday dinner so I can stop by te coop & Fresh Market. I know FM doesn't have raw but the coop might know where I can get some just for a treat.

I just turned my chicken broth off so it can cool some til morning & I can strain it. I put some of the castings from juicing (kale,parsley, carrots, celery) for flavor. It has disintegrated into the broth so the fiber should be good & flavor. I am sure all the vitamins (if any after juicing) hsve been killed by the heat. My bones are almost non existent just a lot of stuff floating around with the skin. After I strain & press it I will heat again B4 jarring. I used to separate the fat but now iusy let it set up in the jar & it kinda helps seal the broth in. If I don't want it I can pick it out B4 I heat it.

Your broth sounds amazing! Wish I could send you some of my juice castings for the fiber but that would not be practical. My mulch box is getting a good pile in it. This summer I will have to put dirt on it to keep the smells down as it will decay faster. I will pull some out when I go to plant something (Prolly tomatoes for the kids to pick when they are outside playing) for fertilizer. Last summer I buried my wet kitchen scraps in there til I ran out of room.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #537

Well I guess this market wasnt so bad, I paid $3.50 for 12 ounces of raw goat milk kefir. I paid $6 for a quart of raw cow milk kefir. OK the goat milk, where is the barfy smiley, LOL OMG that was like drinking liquid goat cheese or something, I added the chocolate protein powder then I thought I bet it would have been better with like cranberry juice or some berries or something, wow I am still trying to get that taste out of my mouth, but I will carry on drinking this white gold, LOL

IAM-that is a wonderful idea about the juicer stuff left over to put in the broth, I guess you could put it in cheesecloth too in there. My broth smelled sooo good, and it is really dark. I wish we were closer to share experiments!!! Well in 13 hours I could have it there, LOL

So finishing my organizing, I am feeling so productive, and tax stuff must be done today I hate that and I have put it off and out it off, and now I am down to the wire, and hot yoga again tonight, man I thought I was just out of it last nights, but some others were complaining how hot it was, so I didnt feel too bad!

Have a good Sunday all!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Used the rest of my Dean's milk for grains last night so I put kefir in my scrambled eggs cooked with coconut oil this morning. Wow they came out so much flufflier! Never knew it was kefir in there! Don't know if it killed my bacteria- always wondered why people recommended COOKING with kefir & yogurt as the heat (I think) kills the bacteria. Maybe Shirley you can tell us?????

Not a bone left in the broth this morning. Strained &pressed out mushy leftovers until I only had 2 1/2 cups to put in mulch box. Love it! NO BONES left to be seen. Kombucha vinegar wims over ACV & I always have some in my SCOBY Hotel!

My broth is also very very dark! Resembles vegetable soup and tasting it- really rich & almost a thick quality. I will prolly discard the fat after it sets up in the jar as it seems there is more than what I want. Guess I should post this on broth thread but we so often group our thoughts together. I'm bad!

Amber, how long is the drive? Come on down! Actually that is a little far to travel for a tasteing session. We will have to get "smell a net" on our computers. Your grains should be there tomorrow. I forgot to tell you - can prolly take some of your ready cultured kefir & add to some milk. It should kefir for you - don't know if it would take longer but it should do OK if you or someone is ever in a pinch. Won't work long term though!Bit it should culture enough to carry you through. If you are close to being out pour some in milk & leave it to culture so you will have some for tomorrow. Some is better than none even if it doesn't completely culture in 24 hours!

I felt like dirt yesterday & just laid around. By the time I felt bettter I it was bedtime. Today I am retaining a LOT of fluid! Don't know why I popped a lasix & that should help!

Anything that throws me off my eating will mess me up for a day or two. I guess this was a learning experience for when the kids move in. It will be mom's job to fix their food etc so I should be ok. I just migt do home made Belgium waffles, fruit & whip cream on Saturdays & let mom & dad sleep in if he is off work. I don't eat them- they have chocolate chips in them!

Have a Blessed day!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-19-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #539

OK IAM--- I don't want to screw anything up. When I get your grains again do you think I should split them and put some in the fridge with milk and then the rest on the counter with milk? So then I have some for backup?

Is it safe to do that with the raw milk and let it sit out?

Should I shake the raw milk before I pour it out? It has been so long since I had any??

That is good to know about the pre made stuff, it will tick me off if I mess it up again so I am hoping to have a back up to avoid disaster cause with me anything can happen, gotta say I choke it down, but I am curious to see how I am filled up with nasty antibiotics if it helps, I will be able to tell I hate taking all those meds.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

I sent you a good amount! I don't know about the raw milkMetqa or Pepperette will know & if Porcupineis around he will know for sure. I don't think it will hurt to mix it forst. AND YES! It is safe to let the raw milk set out! The grains will protect it! I told you they are toug little buggers.

Let them grow for you for a while before you split them. I don't think you will have another disaster. Even if you dump themon the floor all you have to do is gather them up and rinse them in filtered water or maybe skim milk to be sure they are clean from debris. They are powerful little things I would not worry about contamination! You are a good Kefir Mommy! It is ok but do a you wish. Metqa Pepperette A I have more!