Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
OK IAM, my report is it is way better than Kombucha, LOL It is hard getting past knowing it is milk that sat out, cause I love milk! But I decided to refirgerator it and I had it this morning in my shake, I sipped it plain sort of tart like and a little yeasty tasting. In the shake it was fine. So last night I strained the stuff into a new jar and lightly put a lid on in the fridge? THen the grains I added a jar of coconut milk, now that is sitting out and I will see how that is? IS that right??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Yes! I have not tried coconut milk. Should be good! I am glad it worked in the shake! Keepit up & drink all you can. The taste/texture will will grow on you when you notice the change in hour health. Try to get that quart a day in-you may have to work up to it. I am straining my grains I have had resting in the fridge 8 days now. Wow it is so good. I need to get about 4 jars in the fridge to keep my rotation up so I will be kefiring for a while. I like to have 6 jars back up to let them continue to ferment.
,Thanks for the info you sent me. Maybe you can paste into this thread forothers to read. It was so interesting but my brain doesn't wrap around technical stuff very well any more - one reason why I am retired (just tired). However, you kids have such sharp brains & can understand it! I just know if somethingworks it is a WONDERFUL thing & I should pass it to tohers.

Your grains will grow. Wen they do you can make larger batches or divide them to make different kinds. And best! You can gift to others to help them with their health. I think once you put your blessings on kefir a LOT more people (prolly especially Seth) will be interested. You are such a leader! (A Christ Given Gift!)
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #483

IAM my fried on here with breast cancer wants them, I told her I will send them she apparently knows about them, I told her about my experiement I guess I will send you a pic in a few weeks and you can help me decide how to split, I need more jars that is apparent, LOL Now the coconut I had was like 16 ounces but I put all the cauli heads in so maybe that will be stronger?? None of this was fizzy, is it OK to put the lid on it with the stuff removed in the fridge?
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Yes a lid is fine! It will continue to ferment in fridge. So if it is tight you will hear air escape when you open it. It may take one or more ferments for the grains to settle into the new kind of milk but they will do fine! Fizz usually comes into play with the longer ferments - like several days in the fridge with snug lid.

I prolly have enough to send your friend. Email me her address & I will send to her. faithfultojesus yahoo

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-15-2012 at 04:51 AM..
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #485

She didnt send her address yet, but I will tell her.
I cant stop reading about this, I told you I might be able to get raw milk or goat milk, that would be cool, would be cool to see the local people here that make it geez we have all these farms you would think it would be easy to find, I guess you have to get certified to sell raw milk, and that is a big PIA, so only a select few do it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #486

IAM- found a place with raw cow's milk and goat milk going on Saturday to get it maybe 20 minutes away not too bad, and I like the place anyway lots of bulk organic stuff way cheaper than the health food store.

Can I use skim milk? I have abunch of that at home, wanted to make sure, I could also add some half and half to it, dont really want so much fat in it, but if I need a little I could add a little for the next batch
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #487

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
You can use skim milk, but I personally find the texture not appealing, but I use whole milk and almond milk and coconut milk so I'm used to having fat. Adding the half and half might work to make it more 2% style. Go for it and see if you like it.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #488

Blueberry Pineapple Smoothie is REALLY Good!

1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 chopped fresh pineapple
2 Teaspoons sweetener
(1t MCT oil, only if you want more fat like I do...)
1/4 cup kefir, and 3/4 cup kefir

In your personal blender cup add the fruit and sweetener and 1/4 cup kefir. Whiz till all the fruit is chopped up. Pour into your cup, then rinse the blender cup with the rest of the kefir to get all the residual fruit slush out, pour into cup, stir and enjoy!

I suggest you attempt to drink this slowly and savor the flavor. I end up chewing each sipfull cause of the blueberry skins and pineapple bits.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #489

Now that MCT oil is a new wrinkle!!! I am having surgery and need pineapple so I will be trying that, it is sort of fun experimenting I am anxious to see how the coconut milk one tastes tomorrow morning. I used the stuff in the can coconut milk, organic with no added sugar?? I also have alond milk so will make a batch of that as well! I have that so delicious coconut milk, that has a lot of added stuff not sure if that will work??
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #490
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the help, Metqa. Newbie on board & she is a terrific lady!

Won't hurt to try! If it doesn't after 24 hours put the grains in fresh milk.

Yes skim milk can be used-great for letting them rest I don't like the texture of skim but you might like it.
Kefir is like Kombucha or eating plans
It needs & can be personalized for each person/family.
Porcupine uses raw milk & I think he doesn't refrigerate but goes for long second & third ferments. I like mine in while & 24 hoirs then a long cold ferment in the fridge of several days. So find what is right for you. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

Just try to have some stocked in the fridge forwhen you come home so you don't have to fool with it. Better yet! Show Tony & Bobby how to Kefir then they can make it for you & treat you like the precious lady you are.

BTW - MCT OIL = Virgin Coconut Iol & you have that everywhere in your house! Got some in your kitchen to eat? Try some! Scoop some out on a spoon and let it melt in your mouth. You liked it on toast with connamon- come on! Be brave and try it! You migt get hooked!

Remember Metqa & I almost always have extra grains, so if something happens we got you covered.

I migt have to get you interested in Water Kefir... and you thought there was just milk kefir.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-15-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #491

Quote:
great for letting them rest
I hadn't thought of that, Thanks.

Actuall MCT Oil is a refined oil, seperated from Coconut oil. Coconut Oil contains 65% MCT, and the rest is LCT. MCT oil is the Medium Chain Triglycerides Only. It doesn't have the immune bonus that pure coconut oil has because it doesn't contain lauric acid, but it is superior to CO for metabolism stimulation. It is liquid at all storage temperatures, and so can be easily stirred into all food types, including smoothies where the solidification of coconut oil could be a problem.

I have First Press Coconut oil ( smells like coconut), RBD coconut oil ( refined deodorized, bleached, no smell or taste) and MCT oil ( refined to only medium chain)
I use virgin for candies and exotic cooking, refined for general cooking and body care, and MCT I only use in the morning and afternoon because it gears you up and suppresses appetite, it also produces more ketones, so I can avoid overeating later.

Sorry for the TJ. just thought to explain why I use such an odd ingredient when Coconut oil is available
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you! You youngins are so smart! I have seen the MCT but didn't connect they were so different. I suppose all medium chain oil were the same!

to one with greater knowledge
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #493

I wish I could take the credit, but I had to do a lot of searching to find the difference before I bought it. But I'm glad I know it now, hopefully can save someone else some time & trouble searching.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #494

Well you got me with metabolism support I will be ordering that by the 1/2 gallon, I do eat CO, more so I cook with it and I like it on toast!

OK coconut milk I dont like, it is so thick, and since I had like a 16 ounce can it was half as small as the quart and so thick when I whipped it with protein I almost needed a spoon, I pretty much dont like the taste by itself but I have no problem getting it down in a shake so I think that is all that matters, I gotta find the right combo of consistency for what I like! I am enjoying it, oh last night I tried to show the boys they were horrified, my son was like OMG you are trying to kill me, LOL I will make sure I have it all ready to go before surgery. Once it is strained and in the fridge how long does it last? I am thinking I should date this stuff at some point, I got 2 cases of jars last night, LOL

My broth is bubbling, my crockpot is so hot it is on low and like almost bubbling the lid off so I turned it to keep warm and will let it go all day I added another 1/4c of Bragg's apple cider vinegar this morning
Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

I leave my broth to bubble on low & just add water as necessary. If you make some ahead for the recoop from surgery you can hot pack it in Mason jars & let it seal before it goes in fridge. Will keep 6 mos or more in the fridge or you can reduce by boiling down & letting it cool. Then put in baggies & freeze. Then use as you want either as a concentrate or add boiling water to melt, heat then drink. (OK this is on the broth thread too)

I have kept kefir & home cultured yogurt in the fridge literally for months. I don't date my jars- just rotate like in the stores with milk. I always put my newly cultured kefir in the back & move jars to the front.

I think Metqa, Pepperette & Porcupine culture in larger batches -like putting grains into the gallon jugs. I don't know how that works on straining when it gets real thick. I am sure they will chime in & let you know.

I put a small amount of grains in my coconut milk (scored for $1 a can @ Big Lots). It is not finished yet so no verdict on my part. I am hooked on my Dean's whole milk but this will be fun!

BTW- it only takes a tablespoon or so of Kefir grains to culture a quart. So if closer to March you might want to try making larger/multiple batches to get some ahead for after surgery. Remember before you go in to put your grains to rest in fridge (milk & a lid) it will continue to culture while it rests.

You may notice the longer it stays in the fridge it will separate, curds & whey, just stir or shake it to combine. Also, the longer it is in the fridge ~ mine gets fizzier (you can tell when you drink it) & milder in taste. I am so hooked on this! My KT drinking has slowed to 16oz a day so I must be needing it lass & kefir more.

If Bobby thinks you are trying to kill him- wait til we get you making yogurt with your raw milk in the heat of summer by letting it sit outside in the heat for a day! :rofl!

I am happy you are experimenting with what is right for you personally. Maybe later you can "sneak" it into Ony's & Bobby's smoothoes & homemade "ice cream".

Enjoy & get healthier!

I am so glad I met my LCF friends! I when I think of how much ya'll Metqa, Pepperette, Amber, Porcupine, Susan, Glenda & others have changed my life!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-16-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #496

Oh my, I was thinking that thick stuff today would have made a good icecream with some flavoring it was almost as thick as that since I add a few icecream, I never tired making that. I guess you can make homemade butter too with raw milk, now I am goign to get this raw milk and I am thinking I am probably not going to like the taste since I seem to prefer the thinner stuff, which makes no sense since I love rich creamy whole milk, LOL GO figure!

Oh yeah you mentioned water kefir?? Do I want to know??

And for storing I put the grains and just a little milk with a lid or a whole quart to keep it while I am not making it? Tony says I need a lab, for all my weird stuff, LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Oh my, I was thinking that thick stuff today would have made a good icecream with some flavoring it was almost as thick as that since I add a few icecream, I never tired making that. I guess you can make homemade butter too with raw milk, now I am goign to get this raw milk and I am thinking I am probably not going to like the taste since I seem to prefer the thinner stuff, which makes no sense since I love rich creamy whole milk, LOL GO figure!

Oh yeah you mentioned water kefir?? Do I want to know??

And for storing I put the grains and just a little milk with a lid or a whole quart to keep it while I am not making it? Tony says I need a lab, for all my weird stuff, LOL
Yes you want to know about water kefir but my granis haven't multiplied much dirong winter. HOPE THEY PICK UP IN SPRING & I will send you some.

Put the grains in a Quart. I write on the lid "grains in here" with marker & keep that lid for when you have resting grains so it doesn't get confused & you wind up dumping them in a smoothie.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-16-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #498

OK gotcha!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Faithful~ I was just spooning out the grains from the 1/2 gallon jars. Today I put the grains into the milk jug itself, then tomorrow will strain it into the big mason jar for chilling. I had thought about putting the grains in a muslin bag, but decided not to-. The wide mouth, 1/2 gallon jars are working great, and I got a set of plastic lids for reuse so no metal touches the kefir. I also have some w-m quart jars I thought about using as a set-up for daily doses. No better medicine except for kombucha! One of these days you and I will get some "real" milk to use . I want cream for butter making- since I have enough jars!

Hi Amber and Shirley

HEY! METQAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey porcupine- where did YOU go?
Whoever I left out HI YA'LL!!!!

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #500

Hey Pepperette! I got some Pint Jars from Wally Mart for only $5 because one of the lids was missing! Great deal. They are cute and since my Mom gave me some of those plastic lids, I'll use those on them instead of my canning lids, much easier. I'm not worried about the metal touching ( non reactive) but when my kefir gets bubbly then settles down, it vacuum seals the jar and it's so hard to get it off, then it flies across the room and I have to chase it down after it's rolled away somewhere! Yeah Screw tops will be SO MUCH easier!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #501
Major LCF Poster!

You ladies are having way too much fun! Might have to pay you each a visit....someday!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #502

Hey I didnt think about that I have the metal seal lids, mine do not get gassy but they are a bugger to get off first thing in the morning pre coffee, LOL

If I get raw milk I can make butter right? I gotta look that up to!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #503

Hey I was reading and found this:

Kefir will require an adjustment period of a batch or two after events like being shipped or switching types of milk. When you receive your kefir grains, don't be disappointed if the first couple of batches taste awful! The yeast build-up during shipping needs to level out. When switching types of milk, your kefir will go through a couple of "transition" batches, where it may taste differently, as well. For this reason, it's best to stick with one type of milk if possible, using excess grains for other types.
Many types of milk may be used to culture kefir, but kefir grains that are cultured in non-mammalian milk will cease growing. Consider using your excess grains to culture soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk, etc.

SO now that I got those they have been in different milk everyday, maybe I need to just go back to regular whole milk I hope I didnt mess them up, but I swear they grew, and the coconut milk was very champagne like, so it must still be working, today they are in skim, I will switch to whole milk and use that for some time, now I know to use seperate ones for different milks, I am not doing coconut again, was going to try almond milk, but I love milk so I am good with this!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Ok... it has been a couple days since I've been over on this thread and I just busted a gut laughing at you guys!! You all are AWESOME... love the fermentation talk going on over here. Looks like we have a newbie convert to the Lab... whooo whoo haaa haaa haaa(the wicked laugh of a fermenter... )

Would you believe that today I got 5 golden jars of CREAM out of the tank when we emptied it. My Jersey girls are pumping out almost 20 gallons of milk a DAY!!! The piggies get the skim and we gorge on the cream!! YUMMY! I'm trying to kefir straight raw cream... I'm thinking that I will have to rotate between cream and milk with the grains so they don't starve since the cream won't have enough sugar to keep them happy. BUT I'll be VERY happy drinking kefired cream. Ooooooo while writing this I had to go check my cream that was kefiring... OH MY.... it was thick and lovely... so I strained out the grains and plopped them into fresh cream.

Bejewelme... I like my kefir cold too... so I popped that kefir cream into the fridge. Who needs cream in their coffee when they can have a cup of kefired cream for breakfast.... ME!!!!!! I'll probably have both tomorrow!

I also made strawberry ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate cream cheese clouds for the troops!! All sugar free and full of glorious fatty cream!!YUMMO!

I'm thinking there is also a batch of Greek yogurt around the corner.. I'll use 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 cream. Should be a winner! I haven't made GY for a while... been buying it and actually I have 4 quarts in the fridge right now, so maybe I'll wait on the GY and just make more butter.

I wonder what would happen if I made BUTTER out of the kefired cream... a spreadable creamy tart, probiotic loaded delight maybe??? What do you think... will it work??? I just might have to try!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Amber you can't posibly hurt those babies unless you don't feed them & if you use a reactive metal (stainless is non reactive) I use mason jars with canning lids. iunless you shake it the rarely come in contact and if it does no biggie because the grains are most likely in the jar. Kombucha you have to be careful to not use metal lids cause the Ph is 3 & it will eat right through most of them in time.

I thought I mentioned your grains taking time to settle in. Everyone that gets these from me never has a transition time and aparently they did fine for you. Find what milk works for you & stick with it...My coconut is doing well; however, I will prolly save doing it again to make ice cream with coconut MK.

Like I said we aways have extras & can send more if something happens. I am glad you are so into this-gives you something different to pour your thougts into instead of the ... & I have no doubt they are growing! Soon you will have enough to kefir several different kinds of milk if you want.

I am having a really "off" day & can't put a handle on the weirdness. Oh well, tomorrowwill be here soon enough & I have 4 windows being installed. Don't relish the mess but will be so glad when they are in. Only leaves 2 small ones upstairs that are old & I can't change them til I get my central heat & air (about 2-3 years out. Have to pay off this 17G first.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #506

You can make butter out of kefired cream, I've seen it done before though I haven't myself. With your great supply of cream you could go crazy!!! Seems all you do is kefir the cream and then process the cream as you normally would.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Metqa! You always have the right answere! How is school this year?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Let's see now~~ kefired cream- roll in jar till yellowy thickness appears, pour off kefired buttermilk ( ), and you have
.cultured butter?
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #509

LOL THat is exactly what Tony said that I need a lab!! LOL I love it!!
I am busy tonight house showing you think they will steal my kefir?? LOL
Iam posted a video thought I would share for you, I AM I am busy but let me know where else you want me to post for ya!!!

Thanks guys I will chat at ya after I declutter my house!!!

And gotta bottle my broth!

Health Benefits of Kefir - Fox News Video - Fox News
Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, you only need a lab when you get into making Kombucha or you want your Watwr Kefir to become carbonated like soda.

I don't think they would take your Kefir but if you had several Kombucha brewers going it might scare them out of the house. Check out some of Metqua's , Pepperette's & Porcupine73's picture posts. Looks like something from a science fiction movie. You can also check out my picts on FB
Thanks for posting the link here. I think everyone wl find it interesting.

Kefir butter= either kefir the cream for 48 hours & TRY to strain the grains out OR use about 1/2c thick kefir per cup of heavy cream & let sit @ room temp 2 days stirring or shaking occasionally.

Put in a processor, or mixer with a paddle on low til butter separates from milk. (1 guy on U-Tube used a blender for 20 seconds) Press the kefired buttermilk from the separated butter fat by pressing it and you have kefired butter. Good Luck! I may get some whipping cream & try it! Someday.

If any of you Kefirers try it, Let us know how it turned out & what you did.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-16-2012 at 04:16 PM..