Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
Thanks Faithful! I can't wait to have my first glass. Back a year or so ago when I was doing it daily, my weight and health were better. I literally never got sick and weighed a good 10 lbs less! I'm a firm believer in the pro-health benefits of fermented foods.
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Yay!!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Metqa ,

I just wanted to let you know that the grains you sent made probably the best homemade kefir I've ever had! In the 6-9 months I was making kefir in Washington it never tasted this good!

I wonder if there is a real difference in the quality/health of different grain sources? I thought they all were supposed to be the same? Yours gave me noticably better results from day one. When I first aquired grains previously, I had to toss the first 2 weeks worth of batches!

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Your grains are offspring from grains that I had been sent live. They were here for a while before I sent some to Metqa. They are blessed! Everything that comes onto this property is dedicated to Jesus. Pass the Blessing on to others!

Now we need to get you hooked on Kombucha & water kefir & Virgin Coconut OIL!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

I knew these were some good grains! Yay Jesus!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I use and love VCO!

I am very intrigued by Kombucha...I've never tried it. What does it taste like?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

To me, a little bit of Heaven every day. Whole Foods & a some other places carry it. If you are going to taste for 1st time I would get plain unflavored if you can find it. This way when - see I said WHEN- you will have an idea of how it tastes when it is finished brewing. Metqa may have some of her AWESOME cultures available. Check out the link in my signature. The thread is long but so much fun. I can say pepperette & porcupine as well as myself all have brews spawned from Metqa SCOBYs!

Happy you are lovin the Kefir... Pass along the Blessing cause they will grow fast! You can always eat them... I just can't bring myself to do that cause they are so alive like the SCOBY - have trouble composting so I put in my house plants, keep a Rx hotel & will pit extras in the ground this spring when I plant vegies!

When my grains grow again in spring ( they slowed for the winter) you will have to play with water kefir!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-02-2012 at 02:01 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #458

Well, Duh, I could've sent her a scoby as well. Well I've got your vital info, Seldom, just let me know when you want a scoby, m'kay?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

I am laughing so hard! I try to get people hooked on everything.... You like MK don't you? OK so the WK didn't work so well but I try! Love you sweetie!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Is the Kombucha carby? I'm really trying to drop 30 lbs, so I may wait if it is.

I know I've said this, but the kefir from y'alls grains really is divine. So much better than what I was making in Wa state!

This may sound weird, but I almost prefer if right after straining (vs refridgeration)...is this weird?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #461

Well, I don't know how you define carby. It's got some natural sugar left over from fermentation, but the sweet tea recipe is less sugary than what I think people normally drink before the ferment. Alot of the sugar is eaten,...
The stats on the commercial stuff is for 8 oz it's 30 calories and 7 carbs.

I'm glad the grains are doing great for you. I've had them a while and am awed that I managed to keep them healthy and happy enough to grow enough to share. I was glad when you said you wanted some cause even though I'd given a bunch to my mother, they had regrown double since Christmas.

Sometimes it really is awesome right from the strainer! I need to find my missing blender cups so I can have smoothies again.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

I have 4 jars in the fidge! Really need to guzzle some down tonight cause my grains have been resting in fridge for a week. It is prolly kefired by now!

My Ph is 3.0 in my KT & virtually all the sugar is gone! If there is any it is negligible!

I eat so much protein that I forget vegies so Wed I started juicing & this morning I was in detox! Thought I drank enough KT & MK & WK to keep me detoxed! Oh well there is something they missed! Made juice for son today when he was over-he didn't complain! BUT get this he quit juicing because trying to juice every night was geting too stressful. I told him that was OK I would juice for the two of us when he moves in. He is going to keep dinking KT ghough! Yeah!!! He is hooked!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Nice to find some fellow kefir lovers. I have my own organic grass fed only Jersey herd. So my grains love the fresh raw whole milk I feed them. They double in quantity within just a few days. I feed the extra grains to my chickens and pigs along with excess kefir... when there is any. Our favorite way to drink it is with a little Vanilla Cream Stevia or Chocolate Stevia added. My children love the kefir in vanilla or strawberry smoothies to which I add our raw cream. There are 7 kefir drinkers in our family... my autistic son won't touch it. :-( Cheers!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #464

OKAY! So, hahaha, I've got my Whole milk, a half gallon, and I just put all the grains directly into the container. So done with that....

Next, I've got some heavy whipping cream, Yeah, it's ultrpasteurized but that's just what it is, the brand I buy. Anyway, problem is I really wish I used it up more quickly cause it really hurts to see UP cream go bad!!! Yeah, I could whip it up and eat it as mousse or whatever but that's not my thing.

Anyway, duh I figured why not use my cream for other cream applications that don't require whipping, like making soured cream, faux creme fraiche and maybe butter if there's any left.

All the online instructions say to put a couple of Tablespoons of Buttermilk or Kefir into the cream overnight, but I just tossed in a couple of huge grains and overnight, this UP cream actually got really thick. It doesn't even smell soured, it's just super super thick. When I fished out grains with the strainer it left little spaghetti strands of cream, it was that thick. They say it will thicken in the fridge so I am chilling it.

I've got the rest of the cream sitting out with some grains, cause I figure that even if its UP, that it can still go off from the bacteria in the air from when I pour some out. So I figure why not better the odds by putting in some bacteria to fight back, AND when I use the cream it will be probiotic, Yay! ( I really should just use it up faster)

I'm hoping to whip up yesterdays cream, I heard that creme fraiche whips up and stays stabilized better than plain. So that will be interesting experiment. Some people whip up their cream then pipe it out and then freeze the rest for use later,. Little frozen dollops of cream sound fun!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
metqa~ can you find Anderson Erikson cream in your area? Theirs is only single pasteurized, and it is really good (yes, I sometimes would drink it ). Until I find a raw source, I use their whole milk for kefir.

I think my WKGs are hibernating- I can only get them to the pear juice flavor stage even after switching from distilled to filtered water
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #466

There aren't many choices for Cream, I've seen, but thanks for the recommendation.
After I chilled the kefired cream, I took it out and it was really really thick, like the spoon could stand up in it. I think I'm gonna have fun with this. just the novelty of it.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Shirley!!!! Glad to see you join us! Wow none of us have families that big and you have all but one to join you! How terrific is that! Chime in any time! Poecupine uses raw milk. He ihas a farmer to get his raw milk. The rest of us wll have to be content being envious of BOTH of you now & will have to use our store bought milk.

Metqa, glad you are having fun with your cream. It would not stay in my house long-coffee drinker here! However, kefiring it with grains is the best way to not have it go bad. Kefir cream is terrific-better than sour cream, which doesn't last long here either!

Pepperette, my WKG don't XX at all right now but thet do kefir. It will be interesting to see them XX come spring cause they are usually like bunnys... I don't make my WK fizz or add anything but a little Hymalian rock salt & egg shells to the jar. If you add the shells be sure it is washed & the membrane removed. I just leave it with my grains til it is gone & add another one.

Happy Kefiring!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #468
Senior LCF Member

If you want a yummy treat, take that kefired cream and mix it with cream cheese, add a sweetener of your choice (I like stevia glycerite) and a tbsp of vanilla, put blobs onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, then into the freezer... little mini cheese cake "ice cream" blobs... yumo! :-) You can do this with un cultured cream and that are a little lighter. Beat 1 cup of cream until stiff, mix with 4 oz cream cheese that is creamed with sweetener added. fold in the whipped cream, and freeze in blobs. Once frozen the blobs can go into a freezer zip type bag for easy storage. :-)

Hubby and I have been enjoying or kefir with added raw cream... YUM! I use about 3/4 cup kefired whole milk to 1/4 cup raw cream with about 4-6 drops of vanilla cream stevia. YUMM!

I'll soon be back on the HCG/VLCD (Monday) and will miss my kefir... only 21-30 more days of the VLCD and I'll be VERY close to if not at my goal weight... then I'll be able to enjoy my kefir EVERY day! :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #469

Quote:
put blobs onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, then into the freezer... little mini cheese cake "ice cream" blobs... yumo! :-)
you must have been reading my mind cause that's just what I was planning to Do! That's where I got the idea to culture the cream cause I wanted to make freezer puffs but didn't know if they'd be stable enough! Haha! These are my Cream Cheese clouds I made with lemon and raspberry. I've also made them with caramel with a bark shell.
these are cream cheese and unsalted butter.

Psst, don't go tellin' nobody but I'm trying a High fat HCG round, Shhh! At least to start, if I don't get any progress I'll go back to Omaha style, but I'm trying to get this kefir cream worked out in order to keep my ratios EFGT. ( Got the idea from Fozzie, but he might just be a lucky dog with his good results...)

Your goal is my start, I'm really short and need to get below 120 to be in the right bMI catagory. So I'll be cheering you on, and I'll try not to talk so much about my Evil High Fat Rogue Evilness for the next couple of weeks. I really won't talk about it if it doesn't work, haha! Y'know, Some HCGers are doing Fat Fast a few days out of the week and losing. Crazy, huh?

I'm gonna try your freezer puffs soon, thanks!!! Probiotic Freezer Puffs!

Last edited by metqa; 02-04-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

HCG terrifies me, ladies! I know ya'll are on some form of it but everyoe I know that has been on it-even under doctor supervision has gained +some when they reached their goal & got off. Some cases it wasn't right away but othere in a yyear or more...

I haven't addressed this on this thread but I am concerned. DIETS DONT WORK! Ya'll are on one thing then try another and change again... You may be losing weight but I am concerned you will not be developing a healthy long range plan for the BALANCE OF YOUR LIFEJ

I want my here for a long time and to be healthy! I looked @ & tried so many over the years & some of them are OK. But I found some major "flaws" in 97% of them until I read & understood Dukan. He made sense & his approach to eating, changes your eating habits & wants for a lifetime if you work the plan. No measuring, no counting, NO CHEATING just choices. Susan started end of August '11 & is to her third phase this month. She will approach it carefully as she is to what Dukie says her TW (true weight) should be. Please Google it & read up on it! Ya'll are young still & you have a long way to go in this life WITHOUT having to be bound to "diets"

BTW there are monthly threads to Dukan under Other Plans should you link to read back posts. This is the program that I use & my weight has been stable for 7 months -having added another 6lb prox loss since January only because I gave up Breyers & Mike N Ike candy. I also recently did 4 days PP (pure protein) & started the 1lb/day loss again so I had to quickly stabalize again. My body responds differently from anyone else so don't go by me, but the others that are sticking with Dukie! He knows his stuff & YOU CAN KEEP YOUR KEFIR & KOMBUCHA!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-05-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #471

I'm sorry that HCG terrifies you but it is the plan I have chosen for reasons that are specific to me and my experiences with life.

I'm glad your Dukan plan works for you. I've looked into it as both a reduction and as a maintenance plan and decided it's not for me for various reasons.

The HCG has worked for me in the past, and I expect it will work now. I don't blame HCG for my weight gain, because my use of HCG did not cause my later weight gain. It's purpose,the way I use it, is to aid reduction, and it does that just fine.

I don't feel I'm bound to "diets" as I don't consider diet to automatically mean "reduction". I spend most of my time maintaining my weight through my regular "diet", and I use "reduction diets" as a tool to help me maintain a healthy weight, meaning that if I gain, I will reduce to get back to normal. That is what naturally skinny people do without visible effort...no one chastises them on their subconsciously eating less. It only becomes a "diet" when a person is actively trying to lose it. I wouldn't consider myself bound to a "reduction diet" if I were eating normally and yet were losing weight. It's the conscious effort that defines what we think of as the negative word "diet". I have tried to remove the stigma from the idea of reduction and think of it as just part of the dance of maintaining. That I have to actively think about it is just one of my burdens for not being naturally skinny anymore.

There are many types of maintenance plans and reduction plans out there and some are better for some people than others, there is no way to know before hand, so it's is up the the individual to choose to have that experience and make that judgment of whether to keep that plan or discard it.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

You said in much better words what I was trying to say! I am not welll versed in expressing my thougts. The HCG does scare me & I am so glad you have found what is working for you. Everyone of us has a different body (eg... Pure protein now revs my body into overdrive and it doesn't for most. I guess the ppl I know that have been on it had such a bad experience I tend to think "it all bad". Thanks for enlightening me!

BTW Your pufs look amazing! I will have to make some for the grankids! They lookbsimple! Is it really that easy?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-05-2012 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

My family has been eating organic whole foods, grass fed meats, organic raw grass fed only dairy, organic veggies.... get the picture... for 6 years, and yet I remained obese (235 pounds at 5'6"). I read KT's book and saw him put a real food spin on phase 3 & 4 of hcg and it hit me.... I have maintained my obesity beautifully eating GREAT... but I needed to lose the blubber. Hcg mobilized my blubber, burned it and now I'm at a normal BMI for the first time since I was in 8th grade(currently 148 soon to reach goal of 135). I KNOW that my families normal WOE will allow me to maintain for LIFE b/c it is real food, whole food... nutrient dense food. Now that the blubber is gone... I'm good to go! I expect to maintain the new me just like I maintained my obesity so well. ONE big change is that I have learned a new balance for ME! I've learned that I cannot handle all the "healthy" sprouted, fermented grains & starches or even the real sugars like honey & maple syrup that I used to consume, but need to limit or exclude them from my lifestyle for the most part. My hcg journey helped me to find this right balance. I am NOT saying HCG is for everyone... it is a tough protocol, but for me... it has been life changing... I'll check back years from now when I'm still maintaining and proving that real food eaten in the right balance allows for a healthy weight to be maintained. I BELIEVE that folks can maintain if they learn their food balance. Many return to the SAD diet which yields its expected results. Absolutely EVERY WOE out there has success and failure stories. I have yet to see one with 100% success stories because of the humans who have their own ideas of what they really want for a lifetime WOE. Each post hcger that I've met who has not maintained stopped eating according to their food balance, or had extenuating hormone/thyroid/adrenal/menopause/health... issues which caused an increase in weight.

I think every plan has its ups and downs and we each have to discover a way to reduce that works for us... then a lifestyle WOE that allows us to maintain those losses and optimum health. It is a complex journey....one filled with much education and complex choices. :-)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Agreed! I switched my eating years ago but until I gave up eting th whole grains & healthy sweets like honey except on a limited basis I could not reach a healthy weight. I realize everyone has to find what is right for them....like kefir & kombucha it is not a one size fits all. I am thankful HCG works for some...a lot of the people I talk to have tried every "new" diet trying to reach for a "magic bullet" & never find a balance in their lives where food is concerned.

I didn't mean to imply you ladies are/were doing something wrong...I was just expressing my concern for people that reach for a quick fix & don't have a clue as to a long range health plan. Ya'll do kefir! Of course you are taking care of your body.

I wish I had access to the healthy food you have available! Blessings!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #475
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree... most only think to the level of losing and not all the change that really needs to take place to maintain a healthy weight and over-all health. It is very sad.. b/c our main stream media and government don't help.. we have to find rogue ideas like raw milk, real meat, fermented foods, and non processed foods or we continue to head down the SAD road... :-(

As I've been involved in various hcg forums/groups I've tried to help to educate people on real food so that they CAN maintain their loss. I talk about grass fed meats, kefir, local veggies & fruits, etc.... and real healthy fats (coconut oil, butter, lard, cod liver oil, etc.).... too many I've met are not educated in anything but the SAD. :-( Just like we share our excitement over these silly little kefir grains and KT.... we can share our knowledge and excitement over our improved health when we start incorporating as much real whole foods as we are able to find and afford! :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #476

Okay this is weird, I typed this post like 6 hours ago, and I guess I forgot to hit submit before I went to bed, haha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post

BTW Your pufs look amazing! I will have to make some for the grankids! They lookbsimple! Is it really that easy?
Yes, the clouds really are THAT easy! It's I think a block of cream cheese 8 oz, and 4 oz unsalted butter, and 3/4 sugar or sweetener. I used flavored syrup and lemon juice. I split the batch and flavored one lemon and the other half raspberry then put the pink in a pastry bag and piped out all the pink in little blobs, then I put the lemon in the bag, push the tip down into each pink blob and pipe the white into the middle. then I just freeze them for a lemon raspberry treat. With the Caramel, I just use caramel syrup and pipe out blobs and freeze them, while I make a chocolate shell syrup with coconut oil. Then I can either pick up a solid blob and dip half of it into the syrup to make a magic shell, or I can pick up the blob, stick a toothpick in the bottom and tip the entire top of the blob upside down in the syrup to cover the whole thing. The chocolate shell with the caramel flavor is to Drool For!

Quote:
Each post hcger that I've met who has not maintained stopped eating according to their food balance, or had extenuating hormone/thyroid/adrenal/menopause/health... issues which caused an increase in weight.
Unfortunately that was me. Twice! I was SO mad,cause I had done two rounds and got to within 3 lb of my ultimate goal weight and I was maintaining Like A Boss! later, my weight started jumping for no reason, finally found Out I had black mold. During the clean up, I got really allergic Hives, lung stuff, bloating and gained back all of my lost progress, I was SO MAD!!! Second time it was having to take steroids. I ballooned up to 146+ lbs, on 5'1" inch tall body that's NOT good. I'm supposed to be between 95 and 125 max, so I shoot for 115 midway.
The HCG is a great tool for reduction but it's not a protection against life events or poor behavior for that matter. I'm glad you are so near goal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So Anyway, My Kefir Cream is so funny, it's so thick but it doesn't taste sour. I want to figure out how to make it sour like sour cream, I guess it's a different set of bacteria, or maybe I should let it culture longer. I just got some more cream to experiment with. I haven't tried whipping it yet, that will have to wait as I work like MAD Hours all next week again. Gotta get up at 3:30am most days this week, and also have afternoon class in addition to my evening classes all week, and my reports are overdue. OOPS, supposed to be doing them now. Ciao! and have a Wonder Week.

Oh, Kiwi strawberry Kefir smoothie!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

I've made "sour cream" by adding in 1 TBSP buttermilk to 1-2 cups of cream and let it sit at room temp for a couple days. It is more like a creme fresh... sorry I probably spelled that wrong. :-( My kids actually love it when I just let the sour cream... "spoil". We let it get natuarally soured by sticking it in the fridge and forgetting about it for a couple weeks. The top is particularly thick and they eat it on taco salad, chili, etc. WE just don't shake it and use all the top cream that is thick and soured. :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #478

haha, All my store bought sour cream is naturally "spoiled" that way, hahaha!
( maybe I shouldn't admit that! ) But you are right, it sorta separates and I pour off the liquid and it's really rich. I like to buy the "natural" one and it does this more often than the "regular" one. I think people don't like the natural labelled one because it does this cause I see them on sale all the time about to go out of date for lack of sales, then I buy up like 6 of em and let them go in the back of the fridge.

So, to make my own, I need to let it sit for more than a day, Okey Dokey!

Last edited by metqa; 02-06-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #479

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ok girls IAM was kind enough to send me kefir grains, I am going to try it for the first time tonight! I am hoping I love it, I have been reading up all day and find there to me many benefits to consuming it.

Shirley-I just read a few pages but love your outlook, after losing so much weight I am stalled,and finally said you know I just wan to eat all food groups and eat healthy whole foods, I will admit though I cant give up my liquid splenda, LOL I did get the stevia gylcerine stuff, ughghg I want to like it!!! But I think you are exactly right everyone has a balance of nutrient ratios that work for them, of fat, carbs and protein, it is a matter of finding that balance and eating the healthiest and best foods from those groups!

Really excited to try this tonight!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, glad to see you here! We have a lot of here. How was the kefir? Ask away! Someone will give you good tips! I am kinda a purest-everyone else experiments & comes up with new stuff! Shirley is a terrific addition to the thread Shirley!