Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #421
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Nya-ha-hahahahahahahaaaaaa!! Aaaaaahh.... I need to get some more milk.... I NEED to reduce my grains. I have over half a cup now. I guess I could sacrifice some to test out the drying theory.

I'd have to rinse the grains in fresh water to remove milk solids then pat them to remove moisture, then, let them air dry, then powder them with dry milk, then freeze them..? I'd better go check my sources.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoelattegurl
Stats: 255/209/175
WOE: 17 Day Diet
Start Date: 10/30/2011
This may be a little off topic from this thread, but I thought you guys would be the best resource. I dont make my own Kefir, but I buy it from the grocery store and drink it everyday! Love the stuff! Does anyone have a link for smoothie recipes made with Kefir?
shoelattegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #423

i subscribed to Your Kefir source, and they occasionally send me neat recipes. ( they do sell kefir grains so no link, you'll have to search for the site yourself, just leave out the spaces.

the most recent recipe I got by email is this:

Quote:
Ingredients:
• 1 Kiwi fruit, peeled
• 5 strawberries,
• 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
and pulp
• 1 tbsp. honey
• 1 cup kefir
• 1 cup ice
Directions:
1. Add all ingredients to
blender
2. Blend until ice is totally
crushed.
3. Pour into two glasses
and serve.
4. Enjoy.
Unfortunately it is not Kiwi season here in GA so I have to drool about this recipe till summer!

Quote:
PB&B Kefir Smoothie
(You can never go wrong with peanut butter and banana)

¼ c skimmed milk
5 tbsp instant oatmeal
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 pc medium banana
¼ c kefir
1 tbsp flax seed (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional for flavoring)

Soak the oatmeal in milk for a few minutes, or until the oatmeal softens.
Mix it together with the other ingredients in a blender.
Blend in 5-8 iced cubes depending on how you like your smoothie.

This makes 2 serving. You can actually substitute your meals with this smoothie. It’s already complete with fiber and protein.
Personally, most of the time I make a nice thick smoothie just by blending frozen berries in with plain kefir with some splenda and a dash of lemon juice or True Lemon/Orange/Lime powder. the frozen berries make it thick sweet and cold with no ice cube pieces.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 01-19-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
i subscribed to Your Kefir source, and they occasionally send me neat recipes. ( they do sell kefir grains so no link, you'll have to search for the site yourself, just leave out the spaces.

the most recent recipe I got by email is this:

Unfortunately it is not Kiwi season here in GA so I have to drool about this recipe till summer!

Personally, most of the time I make a nice thick smoothie just by blending frozen berries in with plain kefir with some splenda and a dash of lemon juice or True Lemon/Orange/Lime powder. the frozen berries make it thick sweet and cold with no ice cube pieces.
Thank you! I make my smoothie's now with frozen fruit and agave nectar, sometimes I throw in some raw baby spinach to help with my veggie intake too. Ive also added dry old fashioned oats to it to make it more "filling". That PB&B recipe you posted sounds amazing! Im definitely going to try that one!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelattegurl View Post
This may be a little off topic from this thread, but I thought you guys would be the best resource. I dont make my own Kefir, but I buy it from the grocery store and drink it everyday! Love the stuff! Does anyone have a link for smoothie recipes made with Kefir?
Beth, I never use recipies but just dump in what I would like to have that day. Actually I am kinda a purest and after several months of teying several things I found like my kefir cold or room temp and PLAIN. So not much help there!

But I would ask why you spend so much on kefir that may have things in it you may not really want to injest? The only kefir I have seeen retail is Lifeway and it is ful of "stuff". Kefir is so simple to ferment and most of us would be happy to send you grains for the reimbursement of mailing cost.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Beth, I never use recipies but just dump in what I would like to have that day. Actually I am kinda a purest and after several months of teying several things I found like my kefir cold or room temp and PLAIN. So not much help there!

But I would ask why you spend so much on kefir that may have things in it you may not really want to injest? The only kefir I have seeen retail is Lifeway and it is ful of "stuff". Kefir is so simple to ferment and most of us would be happy to send you grains for the reimbursement of mailing cost.
Yes I buy Lifeway, Plain, lowfat. I love the idea of making my own Kefir. But Im a little hesitant to do it because 1. I had never heard of Kefir until about 3 months ago, so Im so new to it all! 2. I briefly read over about 4 pages of this thread on how to make the Kefir and it all kind of sounds like German to me, lol. Without having to read through this whole thread, can you tell me what the basic instructions are to ferment?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Making milk kefir is super easy. Basically it involves just taking your desired quantity of milk in a jar, adding the kefir grains, then transferring the kefir grains to another jar with the same amount of milk after 24 hours. If it ferments too fast, remove some of the grains. If it takes longer than 24 hours, that's fine, just give it longer until the grains multiply to be able to do it in 24 hours.

Store bought kefirs can be convenient, but they are quit a bit different from kefir made with kefir grains. The storebought they usually use a commercial starter that has maybe 8 organisms in it, whereas true kefir has 30 or more. Storebought is non propogable (able to be used to make more kefir) beyond a few generations; kefir made with kefir grains can be propagated for indefinite generations.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.

Last edited by porcupine73; 01-20-2012 at 01:00 PM..
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Oh wow, thats interesting. Im sure the more organisms in the Kefir the more health benefits right? Thats definitely an incentive to make my own! I thinkIll check out some youtube demo's on how to do this and see if I can do it! Thanks for the info.

Faithful, thank you for offering to send me some grains if I end up making my own kefir. I will let you know if I decide to take you up on that offer!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #429

Making kefir is TOO DARN EASY! if you aren't careful you'll be up to your ears in grains and begging people to take them away from you...

Um , Hi Faithful!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

HI BACK!

Yep! Put grains in milk (any kind but skim doesn't work too well) Maybe stir a couple times. Strain after about 24hours. Put grains back in jar fill with milk & start all over again. Not rocket science or even science. So simple even a cave man can do it!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
So simple even a cave man can do it!
Haha, and quite possibly did!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

So true, my friend! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
Hi Kefir lovers!

I too am a major kefir lover and could drink it all day long. I do prefer the taste of plain store bought kefir (lifeway, Nancy's), but the nutritional benefits of homemade are astounding. Also, it's WAY cheaper!

Which brings me to my first question for you all. Where can one buy grains locally? I moved cross-country last summer and didn't bring my grains. They weren't hard to find in the pacific northwest, but I have no clue where to look in Augusta, GA!

Secondly, does anyone know how to get a "store bought" taste or is this pretty much impossible? I love mine creamy and fizzy.

tia!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

We have grains that we would be happy to share for postage. We all like ours thick, creamy &fizzy so you will be right at home with us. Most of us have grains that came from one source so they are primarily all the same except mine are combined with some from Tibet. If you will PM any of us we whoul be happy to give you information so we can get grains to you.

And welcome to the thread. We appreciate yoir input.

I don't know what the store bought brands taste like - never spent the big bucks for it. However once your grains settle into their new home you will be able to experiment away & come up with what makes your taste buds & tummy happy Personaly I don't think store bought coukd ever compare to home cuktured- why would you try.

Metqa might be closer to you in GA. Don't know if she has the time to send some out. Maybe she will respond...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 01-23-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #435

My grains are resting in the fridge, I need to change them out, but I haven't been into my kefir much lately, But I've got a tonne of grains if you want some of them. I've got like Half a cup or something mad like that, Haha! I'm more than willingto give some of these Mad Grains away, they grow so fast!

You can PM me for contact details if you like. Ciao!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, friend! I know you are closer in proxcimity! Good to see you pop in!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thanks you two! I would like to start fementing again.
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #438

Something I think I figured out. When I let my kefir go to long on first ferments, it gets separated a lot, then I usually strain it out, and bottle it for second ferment where it seems to separate even more.

At the start of the year, I pretty much stopped making and drinking kefir because my schedule was wack, I had just put some 2% with the grains and I forgot about them till the next day and they had gone further than I usually let them, Since I had a back log of kefir to drink I put them in the fridge to strain the next day... the next day became the next week plus a few days. When Seldom mentioned needing grains, I got a wave of guilt and decided I needed to bring them out of the fridge and feed them.

I have 3 jars in the fridge: two with separated whey and solid and one that was homogenous. Since I had put in a jar that had started to separate, I reached for the jar that was separated, but that was the wrong jar; I reached for the other jar... No grains? What in the world. So I reached for the third jar. There were my grains, but what was THIS?? What I ended up with was a homogenous liquid that is MUCH thicker than whole milk, almost as thick as cream, super tart and fizzy, and not grainy. I think the grains being in the finished kefir that whole time, instead of resting in fresh milk, made them make more gelatinous GOO that ended up making the kefir thicker rather than separating even more. The other jars I had strained the grains out and they continued to separate and settle but not the jar with the grains.

I think I know what I shall do with my abundance of extra grains. I will try second ferment WITH some grains in the fridge to see if I can get them to make more goo. and to give them a break I'll swap them out with the room temp ferment so they will have a break from the chill. I wonder if it's the chill or the fact that they stayed in finished kefir so long that made them make more goo. All I know is that i have thick tart yummy super tart fizzy Yumm Yumm that no one but me probably thinks is drinkable!

I'm still experimenting to get it just like I like it for different applications. I've yet to try any cooking or recipe applications.

ETA: Seldom, if you want some grains, send me a PM with your Home address and I'll send some out to you.

Last edited by metqa; 01-25-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Hm that is interesting! I have noticed my most gelatinous batches are those where one or two small grains sneak into the second ferment.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #440

OOoooo! Good to Know! Good to Know!!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

OK so I think I will leave a few tiny grains in my 2F Kefir in the fridge. When I rest mine (usually a week or so) they go in fresh milk & it is delictibly wonderful by weeks end! I ferment for four days using almost a gallon (qt mason jars) strain & put in fridge with newest to the back. When I have 4 the balance of the gallon goes into the fridge with the grains. (funny a qt mason jar is only 3.5 cups - like wood isn't a 2x4 but 1.75x2.75).

I notice after a few days my kefir separates and the whey is on the TOP. This is ok for me as I don't stir it - I quickly drink the whey (not too bad once you get accustomed to it) & what remains is so thick, fizzy & so tart! I have thought about mixing it with something but since it is just me here & I am drinking from my mason jars...by the time I finish "tasting" the fresh kefir the jar is so close to empty I just finish it. Other food never gets a chance!

My son & family will be moving in come May/June and Becky (mom) has IBS. I hope once she gets here we can split a quart a day and her IBS will clear up. Poor things takes so many Rx for things her weight went out of control (so did sons from stress eating). He is keepinf me busy brewing KT for him to put in green juice so atleast they are both getting somesmallbenefit from the KT. I hope I can get the whole family hooked on Kefir & KT. Kefir icecream is good if it is frozen after the 24 hour ferment so it is not so tart & fizzy.

I recently switched to whole milk (still wish I could get raw) & the texture is so much thicker than 2%. Both are good!

Was recently blessed to send grains to Oregon &more to California & Indiana so I am not overgrown now. Tomorrow I take some to a lady who works at KMart. She has IBS...Kefir to the rescue! Golly sharing is great fun.

BTW...good safe inexpensive way to ship MKG is to put them in a piece of cheesecloth, dunk it in fresh milk, let drain some then bag 3X. Put in a small bubble wrap mailer (about 60¢ @ WM) & mail for around $2 depending on how many you send. Mark on the outside LIVE GRAINS PACKED IN MILK Just incase of leakage. They arrive a little flat but get there safe & plump up after a good soaking in milk. Usually I tell people to do 1 or 2 ferments in a pint of milk to give them a chance to settle in. This way they don't feel like they are wasteing milk-I tell them to drink it of it smells OK because it is good just may have a slightly "off" taste. Susan soesnt know her grains have traveled to Canada and all points NEWS in the USA. Might be sending some to England soon... Such fun helping others get healthy!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 01-26-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #442

Thanks Faithful for the bubble wrap tip. I typically used flat rate small boxes, but you send me both the milk kefir and the water kefir in bubble wrap successfully, I think I shall try that.

What is the cheesecloth for? I had just put 2T of grains and enough milk to cover in a snack sized bag, then that into two larger zipclose bags, and either into the small box or into a stiff bubble protected envelope. Def gonna get a bubble mailer, I think they are more expensive at P.O. though.... I'll check. Thanks again for the mailing tips.

Yeah, the mason jars being only 3.5 cups is annoying. And also my older kefir separates with white on the bottom and whey on the top. I stirred it back up , but I might decant some of the whey to try to make some pickles people mention.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Wally World has small bags for 54¢ here in the stationery dept. The cheese cloth You can get cheap @ Wally World . I put the grains in the cheese cloth & wrap/fold them inside. Then I dunk in fresh milk & let it drain a little toll the dripping slows. The cheese cloth in milk keeps them moist without having to have a lot of liquid. They have safely traveled two weeks to Canada & did fine! A little flat but none the less healthy.

WKG don't need ant kiquid. Just take some from fresh sugar water (not after it has fermented) and place them in a baggie. Double bag. They travel fine without liquid for 2 weeks as well - again Canada same time as MKG & SCOBY/ starter. We now have a supplier in Canada! I think that is neet! Have to msg her to see how the fermenting is going! When I ordered my WKG from FL (fresh ones of which you have some) she shipped them this way. Figured I could learn from experts!

Same for the MKG. The Tibet ones Porcupine got were in cheesecloth in a jello box. I figured bubble wrap would do. Costs me about $1.71-$2.20 to send some depending on how many I pull out to send & how long I drain them. I ask people to send me $3 and usually they will return that much or more. Sadly there are still a lot I don't see even a thank you from. Oh well!

The one that upset me was the guy that was sending me a Jun culture. I sent him MKG & WKG & $6 to send culture. Never saw it but he had the nerve to say he accidentally ate his MKG & could I send him more. I told him if he returns my $6 + $3 to mail him more I would be happy to... Never heard from him again...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #444

Seldom, your grains are on their way. Post master said they should arrive Monday. They are in an envelope, with butterfly stickers.

This is how much I sent you in case you want to start with more than just a couple of cups. Or you could split the amount to have two jars going at the same time in different conditions to see which conditions make the better kefir without having to wait for one then another.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

Gollie gee wilikers! Those look so healthy! Seldom will be swimming in grains befre long! I have 6 wuarts in fridge aging & need to open one to drink today. Lets see should I drink it Plain, PLAIN, pLaIn, or plain? Awe I think I will just drink it STRAIGHT OUT OF THE JAR! That is way too much to decide before noon!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #446

hahaha, I took a break from my kefir, and because of Seldom, I broke into my fridge stash, and Yumm Yumm. I'm back on track, I 've drunk a pint each past two days.

I used 2% milk because it was on sale, but I just got some more whole milk, and the difference is phenomenal. the 2% milk was okay but kept separating so easily. the whole milk is just getting thicker and thicker.

I'm actually shaking my jar more often than just the "once after 8 hours" it seems that it doesn't separate as much and seems thicker. I think I'm bringing the milk into contact more evenly, and keeping pockets of acidity from forcing separation before all of the milk has a chance to be in contact with and be transformed with the culture.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

I switched to whole (Deans) & will prolly not go back to 2%. I prolly stir (push grains back in to milk) a couple times. I have close to 3/4 cup of grains in there & by the time I shale them real well I no longer havea full jar but you are right! Doesn't seem to separate so easily & keeps getting thicker.

Most of my grains are smaller than your pict cause I mail my big ones out. It doesn't take them long to get hugein whole milk so look out!

My WKG are doing well but since winter they haven't XXed like they were. I think they know it is winter! haha
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #448

I guess they do like Whole milk alright, cause my best kefirs were with whole. I tried with skim and 2 percent and it was always sorta funny runny grainy lumpy ...

I think the fat helps smooth it out a lot, and keep it from separating so quickly. I had to realize that many people drink 2% as "normal" milk, so my results with whole milk are probably different than theirs when they complain about separation problems and stuff. I have to let it get really strong before the separation becomes a real problem and that was like 24 hours in the summer time too long and the curds got chewy. It does that in 2% much faster and skim.
Thanks for the comment on my grains, I didn't know you could tell just by looking how big and crazy active they are, but they are huge and I put at least 2 big pieces in there.

I haven't been making my fruity shakes since my cup started leaking but I got a new set. Stupid cause the replacement cups cost so much money , just to replace the two that broke, it was cheaper to buy a whole new set, motor and all. I think I still have to other cups I could have used but I put them away and now can't find them. Duh. If I can find them in the next few days I'll probably return the blender and use the rest of the set, till they break too...Hmm, Nah, I'll keep the blender, i got it for 20% off the discount price as well and won't get that deal again, it was only $18 instead of $34 retail, yaY FOr BigLots!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Metqa, I received these today! They are BEAUTIFUL! They are now in half a mason jar of milk.

Edited to add that yeah, I just saw what you said about them. When I strain tom. evening I will divide the grains and use 2 jars.

Last edited by UpErMei; 01-30-2012 at 04:28 PM..
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Seldom welcome to the fine art of kefiring!