Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #331
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I got over that fear with Yogurt, but I couldn't eat yogurt till I was an adult, cause while I was a science geek, I didn't know much about nutrition and the Germ Phobia they instill in kids was enough to freak me out about yogurt. Now I love Yogurt and make my own.

Actually I'm a bit weird about regular milk. and while I often buy milk near expiration to get good deals, I can't drink it once I smell that it's starting to go off. Which is why I'm amazed at Kefir cause it has none of that smell at all.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
I am a kefir purest- any 2F is done in the fridge! & I buy all my milk from Dollar General close to my house. A bit more pricy but they carry Dean's milk & my grains love it! I tried the WM milk as an experiment & was glad when it was gone! Funny, I always thought one milk was the same as another but the grains know the diffeence. I barely touch my home cultured yogurt any more-I have 2 quarts I made in August that keep staring @ me when I open the fridge. Maybe someday I will put it to use & make some cream cheese before it grows some penicillin...

I am happy the grains are working for both of you. Metqa you have grains I was gifted by Sandy LCF & Lilli yours are a combination of Sandy's grains & Tibetan MKG I got from Porcupine (I combined them by mistake but they make great kefir).

I tried something today I saw somewhere on the net... I took a Chi tea bag & put it into kefir that had the grains removed. Will do a 24 hour 2F but in the fridge. I love Chi & so this will be interesting! Will let you know!

EVERYONE HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Actually I'm a bit weird about regular milk. and while I often buy milk near expiration to get good deals, I can't drink it once I smell that it's starting to go off. Which is why I'm amazed at Kefir cause it has none of that smell at all.
I thought the kefir would taste a bit like spoiled milk, too, but thankfully it doesn't! It tasted a lot like the kefir I've bought in the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I am happy the grains are working for both of you. Metqa you have grains I was gifted by Sandy LCF & Lilli yours are a combination of Sandy's grains & Tibetan MKG I got from Porcupine (I combined them by mistake but they make great kefir).

EVERYONE HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!
It's cool to imagine where my grain's 'ancestors' have come from : )

You guys will get tired of my daily updates: I didn't put my 2nd batch in the living room at all --just kept it in the drafty kitchen and this morning, after 24 hours, it still looked like milk. I left it on the counter for another day. Hope it's thickened by the time I get home tonight. Tomorrow I'll use less milk.

It could be my imagination but after drinking about 16 oz. of my first batch of kefir yesterday I felt really good... had more energy than I've had in a long time and I stayed up until 10:30. I'm usually dozing off by 8:00 pm. Could the magic kefir properties really be working already?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Ok- it is official. Tomorrow I will make a pumpkin kefir shake. Got the pumpkin chilling in the fridge, just made a new jar of MK to ferment, so we're all set. DS decided it was his day to cook (roast chicken) so I get the holiday OFF!

Happy T-Day to all the kefir-ers!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
The pumpkin kefir sounds interesting! I might give it a try while letting it second ferment for a couple days with it in there.

The thickening of the kefir happens fairly quickly. I've had some sitting there that was just like regular milk, then an hour later when I would check it, it was very thick. Supposedly kefir likes it around 70F.

Kefir doesn't taste like spoiled milk, because pasteurized milk doesn't actually sour when it goes bad, it actually starts to rot or putrefy, because it is dead and does not have any beneficial organisms in it to preserve it. But when made into kefir, it is living and full of beneficial yeasts, bacteria and other organisms, so the 'bad' organisms that would make it rot cannot compete.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

My Chi kefir was very good! But not as good as plain.

Lilli post away! It does my Spirit good when I see posts where someone is a little healthier from ferments! It brings tears to my eyes knowing maybe the world is a tiny bit better because of a gift.

Tha MKG I send out were gifted to me. They are a GIFT from out Creator, Jesus. He cultivated them for our health-how can we not be amazed when we feel better almost instantly as with you, Lilli. I don't remember if you got WKG & KT starter as well. Do you Kombuca?

I recently sent grains & SCOBY to Canada. They took 2 weeks + to get there but they arrived safely. Hearty little fellas. I sent cultures to a senior friend in AK & I was shocked when she said her husband was drinking KT & it was changing his "gut", he is drinking MK too & she is doing WK with lemon every day. I sent the KT starter for her to use as a Rx hotel & he wanted her to brew it for him!

KT & Kefir is not for everyone but for those daring enough to give it a chance it is and a real life savor. We can eventually eat less because our gut can absorbe more nutrients as it no longer has to fight bad bacteria.

Everyone have a Blessed day! I am thankful for each of you!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

Well- the pumpkin kefir shake was good. Not too sure about the spices - I was guessing on the amounts, but it does taste like pumpkin pie I only refridgerare it to chill it. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Kefir is new to me. My first batch I let ferment a full 24 hours- way tart!, but palatable. This one I did for about 20- 21 hours before removing the grains (which by the way are fat and growing) and chilling. Still have kefir and pumpkin left over for tomorrow!
Told DS I might get a half gallon of milk and make the whole thing so I can have it whenever I want.
WOW- what a trip!

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #338

Well, I took some grains home to DMom, she said it tasted like buttermilk, but I had just strained my kefir that morning before the car trip so it had none of the effervesence. So I was disappointed in the comparison to Butter milk, since I don't actually like buttermilk. but this ferment happened mostly in the fridge so it didn't have the tart and picqancy I usually get from my counter fermented kefir. But I took about 2 Tablespoons and it started getting ripe at less than 12 hours, so I took back most of the grains and left her two very large grains. Also because they don't drink much milk to begin with ( SDad is Lactose Int, and Mom doesn't drink much milk as beverage) I figured giving them fewer grains to make less kefir, over a longer time for a greater margin of error. I could see how she already thought it would be a bother to keep up with so I don't mind if I lose too large grains. And if they like it, then the grains will grown and reward them.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

We now have our grains in Canada! Also SCOBYs!

Researching best way to send to UK... There are several that need them there & if I can get Metqa SCOBYs & UST-MKG along with WKG there when people need them we can have a contact there to send them out locally.

Funny how we can reach the world with good ferments & never leave our kitchens!

Happy fermenting everyone & keep spreading the health!

BTW Pepperette, your MKG originated as a gift from the Kansas City area. Guessing they made it full circle! I can't send anything out for probably a month - my WKG are struggling since they lost most of their friends to other states & Canada. Poor babies!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-26-2011 at 04:04 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

What NOT to do to make a 1/2 gallon....

.... do NOT put the grains in the jug of milk unless you have a very wide-mouthed something to pour it into when extracting said grains!
I sloshed a good swallow or two on the cupboard while trying to strain it. Not good. I was trying to pour the milk into an instant tea jar I had and when some grains hit the front of the milk jug- SPLAT- out went some milk- all over.

Live and Learn! (Glad I didn't do it with chocolate kefir! I would have been P.O'd! )
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
.... do NOT put the grains in the jug of milk unless you have a very wide-mouthed something to pour it into when extracting said grains!
I sloshed a good swallow or two on the cupboard while trying to strain it. Not good. I was trying to pour the milk into an instant tea jar I had and when some grains hit the front of the milk jug- SPLAT- out went some milk- all over.

Live and Learn! (Glad I didn't do it with chocolate kefir! I would have been P.O'd! )
I pour out into wide mouth mason jars so never though about it. Hope yo didn't lose too much!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

My kefir update: My little grains (thank you again, Faithful) are getting very active, even in my cold kitchen. Every morning the whey is starting to separate at the bottom. I take that as my sign that it's 'done'. I put it in the blender with raspberries and blueberries and drink half for breakfast and half when I get home from work. I had so much left yesterday that I couldn't drink it all. I used a little less milk this morning so I think I'll have a 'tangier' kefir tonight.

I do have a question... When I strain my grains it doesn't really look like cauliflower...more like chunky cottage cheese. I shake the jar before I strain it. I don't rinse the grains so I can't really see what they look like... but it really resembles about 1/8 cup of cottage cheese. Is it okay that I just dump what remains in the strainer into my new jar each morning? Should I be rinsing with milk or something--to make sure I'm getting only the grains? Seems to be working okay so I should probably just keep doing what I'm doing : )
Old 11-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #343

They look more like cauliflower if they've been rinsed clean of milk, but you don't need to rinse them. with the milk curd clinging it does look a lot like lumpy cottage cheese. That's just fine. Keep doing what you are doing.

I only rinsed with milk a couple of times, when I first got them, and after I had stored them for a while, I let them eat on just a quarter cup of milk to warm up then I rinsed with milk and let them go.

I recently rinsed my grains with filtered water cause I let it go to cheese and didn't want any leftover cheesy curds stuck between, but I generally never rinse and my grains grew fast and large!!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

I still do mine a qt at a time. I am a purest! @ a qt a day I still don't get it all drunk in a dat-have 3 qt backload but this gives it a long 2F in the fridge. Good any way we drink it!

Enjoying our 1st snowfall this morning!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
That's just fine. Keep doing what you are doing.
Thanks, Metqa... I think I'm getting the hang of this...

Faithful, enjoy your snow!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #346

Enjoy your Virgin Snow. Thanks for that mention of your long 2nd ferment in the fridge. My Mom has grains now but she thought she'd just keep the grains in the fridge till she wanted to make kefir. I told her she wants to keep the grains at room temp most of the time or they might hibernate to death. I told her to only add as much milk as she expects to drink each day and she could store the finished Kefir in the fridge but leave the grains out on the counter.

She doesn't drink much milk and DSDad doesn't like plain kefir at all but in smoothies, and so the thought of continuously making kefir everyday is enough to scare them off.

I told her she only wanted to chill the grains when she is not able to change the milk, like on vacation or something.

I know I have kefired in the fridge, but that was because my house was so hot I couldn't let it go a full day , but Also had too much kefir making, so I'd let it kefir till almost finished and let it finish in the fridge a few hours till I could return from work and drain it, but they spent most of their time warm and cozy in tepid milk on the counter.

I dont want to kill half the cultures with cold so I told my mom to avoid refrigerating them. She got confused cause when I left I put the grains in the fridge in milk and told her to take it out when she was ready. She thought they should be stored in the fridge, but I just didn't want it to overculture while she was busy recovering from Thanksgiving cooking and cleaning and accidentally throw it out as "spoiled" milk.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

I have kept my grains in the fridge for weeks! I always store them in fresh milk then when I want to use them they have made me more kefir while resting tin the fridge...I drink that & add them to a fresh quart. When I have too many I just take out a few to use & put the balance back in fresh milk in the fridge. I combine them so they can be with theur family-makes them happy then get a few new ones out. I sent Lilly some & they must have loved that she got some because they have doubled again on me. Sometimes I feel like my cultures are controlling me! But they are such loving creatures- they give me so much health in return!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Remember Kefir likes cool temps but NEVER PUT A SCOBY IN THE FRIDGE!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Gee I like my avitar!
Looks just like how I feel most days!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I have kept my grains in the fridge for weeks! I always store them in fresh milk then when I want to use them they have made me more kefir while resting tin the fridge...I drink that & add them to a fresh quart. When I have too many I just take out a few to use & put the balance back in fresh milk in the fridge. I combine them so they can be with theur family-makes them happy then get a few new ones out. I sent Lilly some & they must have loved that she got some because they have doubled again on me. Sometimes I feel like my cultures are controlling me! But they are such loving creatures- they give me so much health in return!
So what you are talking about is when you have an excess of grains or kefir to drink and don't need to make any extra, so you are storing the excess grains in the fridge, right?

But if you were regularly making kefir, you wouldn't keep it in the fridge...
Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I think I'm going to make my kefir just plain. I was adding cinnamon and bee pollen, which is still good, but it seems to taste even better plain!

I also made perhaps the mistake of drinking some of the cream that floated to the top of the milk. Oh my.....it is one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

OK - If I make kefir every day & drink it all they don't get put in the fridge because they go in cold milk every day. But often I don't have time to drink it that fast so I do a 2F in the fridge. This continues til I have a backlog of 4 or 5 quarts.

At this point I have to quit making kefir for a while. I put the grains in a labeled quart so I know it has my grains. When I get down to one quart which is usually a week or more, I pull out the labeled Jar which by now has become kefir, I strain the grains & start again.

I have kept my grains refrigerated for maybe 10-14 days at a time. Sometimes when I haven't gifted any & they XX a lot I leave extras in a labeled jar of milk til they kefir. Seems like they are just as happy in the fridge as on the table just slower to kefir the milk.

Hope this helps... Guess what I am trying to say is "Dont be afraid to refrigerate either the MKG or WKG. They like cold too just NEVER REFRIGERATE A SCOBY!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I think I'm going to make my kefir just plain. I was adding cinnamon and bee pollen, which is still good, but it seems to taste even better plain!

I also made perhaps the mistake of drinking some of the cream that floated to the top of the milk. Oh my.....it is one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted.
I WISH I HAD A FARMER!!!!!!! & I have quit flavoring my KT except for what I send to my son. Time for us to go back to basics again. PUREST is BEST!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Just exactly how tart/sour is kefir supposed to taste? My first batch was WAY sour, this last one wasn't as I did not let it go so long. I actually made chocolate for breakfast this am and it was DELISH! Thinking about taking some grains just for chocolate milk (since I am a devout chocoholic! ). Got enough to make another glass in the am, then DS will need to go to the store! LOL!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

You will find what is the right taste for you!
& Yes! Keep some chocolate grains around!
Chocolate Rocks!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, chocolate rocks- in diet coke (past life), as ice cream, as itself....

Oh- if you find a farmer- ask if he has a twin, or a friend!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone,
I've been drinking about 12 oz of kefir twice a day. I started the kefir after reading the Body Ecology book about candida.

Could I be experiencing die-off symptoms?: Has anyone gotten a hive-like rash from starting kefir? I am so itchy...I'm scratching my neck and chest raw. I put coconut oil on it last night and that helped a little bit. My face has been really itchy, too. When I washed my face in the shower this morning (my regular soap) it burned.

I can't think of anything else that could be causing this... Should I slow down on the kefir or just keep on drinking it?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #358

Try slowing down. Do you second ferment? I've heard that 2F Kefir has a lot of B-vitamins, could be exciting you.

Try fasting from kefir for a day, then drink some on an empty stomach with no other ingredients. then check yourself every 15 min for symptoms for up to 2hours. That way you can gauge if it's the kefir and how much kefir might be too much. Not mixing it, and taking it on an empty stomach makes sure there are no other offending agents.

Does it happen only after you drink it or is it some general sensation you have all day since starting kefir? if it's a general sensation then you might want to fast ( from kefir) for 2 or 3 days and then reintroduce it.

Or if it is die off , and that's a good thing, you could try to push through the sensations if they are not that annoying, for another week to see if they resolve themselves, but if it's acute with kefir consumption I'd try the first short fast.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
Metqa, I got my kefir grains.
Thank you.
Now to get started.
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #360

Yay, I was about to PM you to ask! It was the first thing I though when I woke up , but decided to give the postman a chance to actually deliver it!

Yay, I'm So Happy!!!!!! ( Actually I'm Metqa, but I love SoHappy too!)