Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Porcupine DID IT! He said he ate the grain when he finished drinking it cause he was at work. The Kefir grain had turned chocolaty!

I posted experiment with kefir grains on KT thread. Porcupine said he read where SCOBYs may have come from the results of kefir grains in tea.. So I am giving it a try today. Going to go get my choc milk right now! Bye!

Call me sometime!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
In mine, I just added cocoa powder to the milk and let it ferment. It came out pretty good. I didn't add any sugar to it or anything. The grains were chocolatey covered, and tasty!

The grains are tasty! They are super sour and tasty.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #303
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
My Breakfast today.

Fat Free milk, Blackberry Kefir Smoothie
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting! It looks good! Was that second fermented at all with the blackberries in it?

Every time someone catches me drinking my 4 day old 2F they do the same thing, they squint and say 'what the heck is that'? Family members, co-workers, all do it the same way. Then I explain what it is and they give a blank look, then look scared when they see me drink it. A few have cautioned me that I'm going to get sick drinking it (because it really does look like it has gone horribly wrong, it's chunk and liquidy, plus with the bee pollen and cinnamon it looks weird). But it is ohhh soo good!

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Interesting! It looks good! Was that second fermented at all with the blackberries in it?

Every time someone catches me drinking my 4 day old 2F they do the same thing, they squint and say 'what the heck is that'? Family members, co-workers, all do it the same way. Then I explain what it is and they give a blank look, then look scared when they see me drink it. A few have cautioned me that I'm going to get sick drinking it (because it really does look like it has gone horribly wrong, it's chunk and liquidy, plus with the bee pollen and cinnamon it looks weird). But it is ohhh soo good!
hahaha! ahhh, so much fun we have. it was a second ferment but not with the blackberries, they were added last minute frozen for chill. I used Fat Free milk for the first time and it got nice and thick but didn't curdle and cheese as much as the whole milk. Second Ferment got nice and fizzy as well.

It think I could get BF to drink this if made into smoothies like this one. But I'll try it with 2% first cause I think the fat is healthful. Anyone know how an Orange Julius is made? BF wants me to try one, but they are so expensive. I wonder if they use Yogurt and if Kefir could be used.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

6oz frozen OJ
1c milk
1c water
1/4c each powder & granulated sugar
1tsp vanilla
8-9 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients adding ice cubes one at a time.

GOOD LUCK! Lot of sugar! Save it for BF. Maybe you can work one with kefir and a different sweetner_ maybe some white chia seeds to thicken...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #307

REALLY, it's only milk? I would've thought it was yogurt, y'know because OJ being acidic woudl curdle it. Hmm, I could probably make it with Erythrito, Diabetisweet and Xylitol, and Splenda, I really don't like Icey drinks so I wonder if I could make a bunch of Kefir and make Kefir cubes instead? I'd probably have to use 2% or skim milk kefir, with all that ice and agitation, if I use whole milk kefir it might end up as Julius Butter!!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Let us know how your wxoeriment comes out!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Chocolate milk kefir

on Oct 30th I put about 1 tsp MKG in a half gallon of good quality store brand chocolate milk (not a milk drink). I placed the plastic jug back into the fridge without leaving it on the counter at all. Several times I have shaken the plastic bottle & burped it.

Today it was fat with pressure build up. So I burped it & shook it. Time to try it. I can say it was like a thick fizzy chocolate shake that had NO sweetness to it all! But not bitter or sour - just not sweet.

Would I do this again? Probably when I have extra grains but I keep mailing mine out. Someday I might see a letter with return postage but not expecting to see one any time in the future.

Have a Blessed day everyone & keep on Kefiring! So good for your health!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Hello all,
Can I join you?
Faithful has been very generously helping me with my kefir quest via PMs. I can't wait to get on board the kefir train : )

One question...Do people use whole milk? I know you mentioned 2%, Faithful, but would whole milk work? I know it can't be ultrapasteurized. I was just planning to buy the store brand whole milk...

I'm going to buy a bunch of one quart jars tonight in preparation...

Lillianna
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #311

I use whole milk and I like it. I tried Fat Free, and it worked but it was sorta dry, the whole milk was rich and creamy but had a stronger tendency to separate, the fat, that is, floated, but it is easy to recombine it, I shake the jar before straining and the strainer mesh sorta re-homogenizes it! Very filling and Yummy.

I think I'll try 2% if a half gallon ever goes on sale, but so far I've been using whole milk with IMO success.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

OK what is IMO?

& yes whole milk is wonderful!

I even used half n half too & made something thick like sour cream-real spoonable.

But if you want some awesome sour cream- yep use some whipping cream!

Lillianna, as soon as I put my phone down & wash my hands I am going to get your grains together & mail them. Put em in about 10 oz of milk for 24 hours/ strain & drink or you can chill 1st. If it separates, it is still good! Just shake strain & enjoy.

there are 3 main reasons for separation
1. Too many grains (take some out or use more milk)
2. Too warm a temperature
3. Too long of a 1F, may want to put in fridge after about 12 hours & finish in there.

Porcupine I think, just leaves his out & does long 4 day 2F (2F= second ferment) we abbreviate a lot!

I am so happy you are joining us! NICE TO HAVE A
NEW VOICE. IF You HAVE ANY ?????? Ask! Anyone here has been kefiring a while... We have all found what works best for us. Like Kombucha - kefiring is a personal choice of how, when, how much & taste preference. You will play with it and find what works for you!

Enjoy! Hmmm! Wonder if my pumpkin mixture I made for my KT would do a good 2F with my kefir. Maybe??? A new Thanksgiving offering for dinner??

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-17-2011 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I use whole milk and I like it. ...had a stronger tendency to separate, the fat, that is, floated, but it is easy to recombine it, I shake the jar before straining and the strainer mesh sorta re-homogenizes it! Very filling and Yummy.
Thanks! I'm learning already...I was surprised when you said to shake the jar because I was picturing the grains as being stringy and kind of diaphanous and fragile...like the 'mother' in my ACV. I guess they're much more sturdy than that...

My kitchen will be quite cold in the winter. I might have to put the kefir in the living room where all the heat is. I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
OK what is IMO? In my opinion..

Lillianna, as soon as I put my phone down & wash my hands I am going to get your grains together & mail them. Put em in about 10 oz of milk for 24 hours/ strain & drink or you can chill 1st. If it separates, it is still good! Just shake strain & enjoy.

Porcupine I think, just leaves his out & does long 4 day 2F (2F= second ferment) we abbreviate a lot!

I am so happy you are joining us! NICE TO HAVE A
NEW VOICE. IF You HAVE ANY ?????? Ask! Anyone here has been kefiring a while... We have all found what works best for us. Like Kombucha - kefiring is a personal choice of how, when, how much & taste preference. You will play with it and find what works for you!
Thanks! I can't wait! I actually gave you my mother's address since she's home all day and I have a PO box. She's 81 and I tried to explain kefir grains to her this morning LOL...she's very confused... I said 'just don't open the package'...you'll be even more confused : )

I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I get started....
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to kefiring! It is a delicious and nutritious living food!

The kefir grains aren't really stringy. They're more like slimy gelatinous blobs. They actually take a bit of pulling to get them to split apart.

I use whole un-homogenized raw milk. It doesn't separate too much during the initial 24 hour fermentation. But during the four to five day second fermentation I like to do, it separates into about 2/3 whey in the bottom and 1/3 what is like large curd cottage cheese on top. I usually shake it before I consume it. I do not refrigerate the kefir at all; the only mold problem I have had with it occurred when I refrigerated it.

IMO usually means 'in my opinion'.

Hm...pumpkin in the second ferment...it would be worth a try because it might be tasty! As you already know I had a major fail on many things in 2F on kefir. Mainly because a lot of things seem to get really bitter in the 2F after 3 days or so.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post

there are 3 main reasons for separation
1. Too many grains (take some out or use more milk)
2. Too warm a temperature
3. Too long of a 1F, may want to put in fridge after about 12 hours & finish in there.
Separation is not a "problem" per say, it's a natural effect of the acidification of the milk and the resulting curdling. Of course too much separation gets you a cheese like end product.

My Kefir has always separated some except when I kept the grains in milk in the fridge. Even Dom Kefir has a picture referring to the separation, And another showing a more pronounced separation if left to continue kefiring

You can see in the first picture that there is some separation and that's normal. My kefir usually looks like the first or somewhere between the first and second.

My point about the Skim and Whole was my whole milk looked like the first picture mostly, but my Skim milk didn't separate nearly as much, I supposed because there was less fat to float away from the whey. But even though it separated less, it was kinda dry and grainy tasting, I didn't like it as much.

Dom says to stir the curds and whey together to make straining easier. Because the fatty curds tend to stick to my grains, if I didn't stir or shake it up, then it would be difficult to pour through the mesh, it would clog because most of the curd would stay with the grains. So I give it a good shake, with a lid on, and when I tap the strainer, any curds left clinging are knocked off and broken up going through the mesh and therefore end up blending back into the thinner liquid much more easily.

Then when I second ferment it, it gets separated cause the carbonation keeps making the curds rise up, but I just shake it before I drink it and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianna View Post
Thanks! I'm learning already...I was surprised when you said to shake the jar because I was picturing the grains as being stringy and kind of diaphanous and fragile...like the 'mother' in my ACV. I guess they're much more sturdy than that...

My kitchen will be quite cold in the winter. I might have to put the kefir in the living room where all the heat is. I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve...

Thanks! I can't wait! I actually gave you my mother's address since she's home all day and I have a PO box. She's 81 and I tried to explain kefir grains to her this morning LOL...she's very confused... I said 'just don't open the package'...you'll be even more confused : )

I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I get started....
No they aren't fragile , they are very sturdy in fact. I tried to pull a large one apart and was surprised at how stretchy and resiliant it was. I like to jiggle the jar some hours after it has started to warm up and work, so that the floating curds get mixed with all the milk. I'll even stir it if I feel like bothering. It turns out smoother when I agitate it than if I just let it go from start to finish.

ETA:I like my kefir thick and I leave it on the counter to warm up for about 8 -12 hours then I put it in the fridge to finish, if I can't strain it right away. It comes out thick and creamy, except the time in the beginning , during the hot summer when it would turn to cheese within 8 hours. Looking more like the 48hr picture!

Last edited by metqa; 11-17-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
OH! Great Kefir Experts

How do I store my WKGs until I get more water made and jars ready? I do not want to lose these perfect gems to ignorance or mishandling.

TIA
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #317

Sorry Pepperette, I don't really know either, I'm just putting mine in sugar water with a touch of molasses and changing the water every couple of days.

The guys I thought would be interested turned out to be sorta lazy losers, I hate to say cause I love 'em. Guy 1 doesn't want to be bothered with as much effort as straining and Guy 2 is unsure if he wants to try.

It doesnt' help that my second ferments always come out unsweet cause the grains are so vigorous they eat up all the sugar by the time it becomes carbonated. So I'm now just trying to keep them alive while Guy 2 makes up his mind whether he wants to try or not. Still no way I'd give him all the grains cause he'd leave off and kill them and I'd feel bad for abandoning them. Unfortunately, I'm not as big a fan of Water Kefir as I am of Milk Kefir. If Those guys had made up their minds to not want them sooner, I could have gifted them to you guilt free! Haha! Some folks you just know will at least try, I'm not so sure about the guys.

OTOH, there is a new guy at game night who seems interested in Kefir, and was looking for my kefir bottle in the fridge. He might be a candidate for future gifting of MKG and WKG. I just have to make sure I have some Kefir for HIM next time I go to game night! OH, that reminds me, I'm supposed to take a scoby for the Roommates new GF also. Boy , I almost forgot!!!

Anyway, I came to share another simple smoothie with Milk Kefir. I know these are Duh recipes for everyone else, but this is pretty exciting for me. I've never been a fan of fruity milkshakes, but I'm changing my mind with Kefir as the base. So far I've had Blue berry and Black Berry, now this!

1 cup of fizzy whole milk kefir
48g or about 3, frozen strawberries, cored
1 packet of True Orange
A Cup Blender

I still haven't gotten around to trying an Orange Julius, but I am enjoying my strawberry orange Kefirius!!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Well too bad for the 2 "boys"- their loss! I now have my MKGs in the new milk DS brought home (thanks again), my scoby in fresh sweet tea, and the distiller is making new water for my WKGs as I type !
I tried one of the MKGs when I strained them- sour but good! This is going to be some trip!

Last edited by pepperette; 11-19-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

WKG Need to be stored in fridge in sweet water. Simple a that!

I saw where you istill your water & where WKG can't have chlorine they need minerals. So, put a healthy pinch of plain salt & baking soda in with the 1/4 cup sugar. Or you can add some molasses if you like that taste. I just add th soda & salt. You could even drop an washed egg shell in for minerals instead.

Hope this helps! Happy fermenting! You seem happier now! Good cultures & friends do that somehow!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

No they aren't fragile , they are very sturdy in fact. I tried to pull a large one apart and was surprised at how stretchy and resiliant it was. I like to jiggle the jar some hours after it has started to warm up and work, so that the floating curds get mixed with all the milk. I'll even stir it if I feel like bothering. It turns out smoother when I agitate it than if I just let it go from start to finish.

ETA:I like my kefir thick and I leave it on the counter to warm up for about 8 -12 hours then I put it in the fridge to finish, if I can't strain it right away. It comes out thick and creamy, except the time in the beginning , during the hot summer when it would turn to cheese within 8 hours. Looking more like the 48hr picture!
Thanks, M (my letter cue doesn't work --so irritating!)

Can I ask all of you some random ??s or cuestions? : )

I'm no good in the kitchen at all...I manage to ruin many recipes so I'm kind of worried about the kefir.

1. I left it in the unheated kitchen all night (put my new grains --thanks Faithful!--in last night) This morning it still looks just like milk so I moved it into the living room. Is it okay to change the temp like that?

2. I've got some frozen raspberries and strawberries to make smoothies with. Tonight, after 24 hours, can I strain the warm kefir and immediately put it in the blender with the berries? The blending won't change the nutritious properties will it? (probably a dumb ? but I want to make sure)

3. Can I strain it with a regular old plastic pasta strainer? It's the kind with a handle --think it's from Tupperware, and only has holes in the bottom. It's the only strainer I have.

4. What should I cover my uart jar with? Right now I've got a dish towel laying over the top.

5. Last uestion... My goal is to be able to have a big glass in the morning and one at night. How soon will my grains grow enough to have two uart jars going each day?

Thanks!!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #321

Wow, Lilli!
I'm not an expert by any means so I expect others to chime in also so you will have more than one perspective. These are just my opinions:

1. I don't think the change in temperature will Hurt anything, but it will change how fast they turn. If the kitchen weren't turning it fast enough for you then the LR might be just fine. Just keep an eye on them so they don't ferment TOO fast in a warmer room. And if can record how long it takes, over a few days, you will then be able to plan enough time to have the kefir ready when you want it. Also Smell it. I've seen videos of people pouring their first ferment and it looked just like milk to me.

2. The blending won't change anything, Enjoy your berry smoothies! I've had rasp and straw seperately but not together yet. I might have that tomorrow.

3.You can strain it with anything with holes small enough to catch the grains. I've fished grains out with a fork.

4. A dish towel is fine, but I'd find a rubber band to secure it, just in case some nosy flying gnat or fruit fly finds his way in. the carbon dioxide and other yummy smells of Kefir attract all sorts of flying pests who'd love to dive bomb your kefir!

5. The last answer depends on your growing conditions. If you find the right temp then the grains will grow quite rapidly, but I can't say how rapidly cause it's all very individual. Faithfuls grains doubled in a couple of weeks for me. I need to start weighing them to see how much there are cause I can't eyeball it very well. You don't sound like you are gonna do second ferments cause I have found that I could kefir a lot partway and let it second ferment on the counter to have it the way I like it later that day. But it took me a couple of weeks to find a good time pattern. It's an art.

Good Luck and Enjoy Yummy!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa got it all correct!

Straining??? If it is metal must be sure it is stainless. Otherwise you are good to go.

More butterfat thicker the kefir...

It may take a few days for the grains to adjust to the new environment & difference in milk.

Have fun!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-20-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #323

Quote:
More butterfat thicker the kefir...
Oh, that could be why it looked my milk to me in the video, I think they were using 2% and I use Whole.

I hope milk goes on sale this week. I wanna buy some half gallons. I enjoyed putting the grains in the whole container of milk and just letting it go. That way I can enjoy some fresh and have some leftover to second ferment.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Ladies-- got my first ferment of MKGs in the frig chillin' The grains I put in to store right now. Being diabetic, I want to see how affected the BGs are by the fermented milk. If it's not too bad. I can have a glass for dinner every night.

I may not be "cultured", but I am a culturer!

P.S. Wonder what fermented cream would be?

Last edited by pepperette; 11-20-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #325

Sour Cream!!!

ETA : Kefir Sour Cream!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

WOW! Oh, WOW! Thick- check. Tart- double check. Good- an acquired taste but-

OH YEAH!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the guidance, Metqa and Faithful!! I'm drinking my first glass of kefir right now--blended with frozen blueberries and raspberries. It's thick but not that tangy...still tastes a little yeasty. I think the grains are still adjusting--plus my apartment is unheated during the day while I'm at work and at night when I'm sleeping.

I think I can call my first batch a success, though. I started my 2nd batch before I tasted the first. I think I should use a little less milk tomorrow...until my grains get bigger and more active.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #329

Yay, Lilli! Y'know I didn't drink the first few batches of Kefir, I honestly was afraid of the taste, and I wanted to be sure it was fully up and running before I tasted it so I wouldn't bias myself. I love my Kefir!! Thanks Again and Again Faithful for helping me realize I was ready to give it a try!

Funny thing is I've pretty much stocked up on Non milk beverages, and now I am buying milk again. I don't think they compare at all to Kefir, but I don't have any interest in trying to kefir almond milk or coconut milk. So I'm gonna remain a kefir purist and stick with milk Kefir. especially since I do like it plain and that's wild to me and wonderful cause I don't always want to have a sweet shake.

Yay for Kefir!

Last edited by metqa; 11-22-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa, I don't think I'm ready to drink it plain LOL... A month ago the thought of a jar of milk on my counter, growing bacteria, would have freaked me out (still does a little bit)...baby steps...