Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Ok, I've tried making the water kefir and neither I nor DH likes it at all. I tried, I really tried. So sticking with kombucha and milk kefir around here.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Ok, I've tried making the water kefir and neither I nor DH likes it at all. I tried, I really tried. So sticking with kombucha and milk kefir around here.
WK, MK, & KT are so personal! They are not for everyone! I like WK flat some fizzy. I like MK plain with 2% milk & some of us use raw, whole, half n half, skim~it is smoothied, flavored, fermented for 5-6 days after removing the grains.

It doesn't matter what or how it is consumed as long as it IS! So good for the gut! When our gut is happy we absorb more nutruents from food & actually eat less. So many benefits!

Glad you gave it a try... Pass the grains along to someone willing to try or put them in your indoor plants to nourish the soil.

Sandy, I want you to know your MKG have made it from CA to NY ~ TX to Michigan! & the recipients are gifting to others! Thank you!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-19-2011 at 03:28 AM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #273

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I have to restart my Kefir. My milk started getting old and making cheese instead. I've got new milk so I've got to go fish out the grains from the cheese and start it anew.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Some people like water kefir better with some fruit or other items added and allowed second ferment for a few days. The second ferment will also get rid of much of the remaining sugar.

I'm loving the milk kefir with ceylon cinnamon and bee pollen added for the second ferment. It seems to peak at around 4 days after second ferment. I have had a mold problem on only one jar, and that was one that I refrigerated after the first ferment for 12 hours then let warm up again for the second ferment, so I will not be refrigerating it anymore.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #275

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about Water Kefir also. I like the taste and the fizz, but I can definitely taste the remaining sugar and it's syrupiness on my tongue and I find it not pleasant only because I don't drink many sugary drinks anymore. I'll keep working at it so I can gift it to the guy I'm thinking might like it. but I think WK will not be a beverage for me. Strong Kombucha and Fizzy Milk Kefir seem to be the bevs for me.

I might try a second ferment with some WK grains pulled out just for that, so I dont' kill them with over fermenting. the second ferment I did before had fizz but no sweet, like club soda, so If all the sugar becomes eaten I could sweeten it with liquid Splenda to my taste and not have to worry about extra sugar. It would basicially be my carbonation factory.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

I was able to get good results with eliminating the sweet taste after a few days of second ferment on the water kefir. For some reason the water kefir seems to give me a slight bit of digestional upset so I haven't been using it as much as the kombucha and milk kefir.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #277

Faithful, I'm about the Water Kefir Video. That's what My first bottle did as well, for about 4 mins!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #278

Okay, I know I'm not supposed to be on the Computer but I had to say something about this. I went to refresh my kefir today. I had run out of milk, and so I put the last of the milk into a jar with half of my kefir grains and set it into the fridge, the other jar had sat out on the counter and was already coagulating so I put it in the fridge as well.

Well many days later I have fresh milk. and go to collect my grains. The curdled kefir is completely separated like cheese but the one I had set in the fridge from the start looks strange. I go to stir it and it's not separated at all. In fact it's thick, very thick, almost like heavy cream. I strain the grains out and there is no curdling, no curds, no coagulation NO WHEY! Its SUPER THICK thicker than cream.

I tasted it and it's kefir, but it's not fizzy, (obviously cause it wasn't capped , but it's got the same tang as my 2F, but without any separation. It's as thick as the store brands that add inulin fiber to make it thicker.

I may be a Bad Kefir Mom, but I'm tempted to do longer ferments in the fridge rather than on the counter top. I like this texture and viscocity. Because it didn't separate, there was not a lot of fat clinging to the glass. I dunno. Even after I split my grains, it still would turn fast. Maybe the cooler weather will change things. I guess I should try one in the fridge and one out of the fridge in the cooler days, the cooler weather may give me a smoother kefir on it's own. I was just surprised that it changed in the fridge and had a better texture than my counter ferments.

Last edited by metqa; 10-21-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Supose you have just downed a 1/2 cup of kefir followed by a glass of tap water.
Would the chlorine in the tap water kill all those friendly bacteria that you just ate?
It sure would be a shame if all that extra water we have been drinking could be killing
some of the helpful bacteria we have worked so hard to raise.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Supose you have just downed a 1/2 cup of kefir followed by a glass of tap water.
Would the chlorine in the tap water kill all those friendly bacteria that you just ate?
It sure would be a shame if all that extra water we have been drinking could be killing
some of the helpful bacteria we have worked so hard to raise.
WHAT! You don't filter your water?????

I don't think it would kill the great stuff in the kefir. You don't want the chlorine to touch the grains.

Do you do WK, MK or both? Do you Kombucha? I don't remember....

BTW- I do a 12-24 hour 1F then leave mine in the fridge for literally days B 4 I drink it. Sometimes I forget it in the fridge with the grains & it does what yours did, Metqa.

Porcupine, I don't know how you leave yours out but raw milk acts so much different than store. BTW- Hannah Crum said hi- I ordered a PH tester from herr today so I can PH the KT, WK & MK. Fun! Wonder if I will get a better quality KT going by 3.0 or less to test for doneness.

& wrong thread but too tired to jump there... WGJKT is still brewing. Still too sweet!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-21-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Hm...interesting question. Well the chlorine certainly wouldn't benefit them; the main reason it is added to tap water is to keep stuff from growing in it. I don't think all the yeasts and bacteria survive the stomach acid and make it to the intestines. I think only certain ones are resistant enough to make it that far.

For milk kefir, I've been doing roughly a 24 hour first ferment, then I add bee pollen and cinnamon and leave it at room temp for 3-4 days (covered with a lid). That's when it gets tasty and fizzy.

Note to self: ceylon cinnamon is not a good choice for kefir second ferments. It gets really weird tasting after 3-4 days. Whatever cinnamon I had before worked well.

That sounds great on your pH tester! For now I have been tasting some of the KT before bottling to get an idea of how many bottles to do.

The different kefering in the fridge is probably due to it allowing certain organisms to dominate the ferment because some of them are not very active (if at all) at lower temps.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #282

Hmm, so maybe I just need to catch it sooner on the counter ferment.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Funny thing happened in the fridge

I was looking EVERYWHERE for my TMKG & couldn't find them anywhere!

Then I realized I must have dumped them into the USMKG I had on hold & thought it was just milk I forgt to put grains in.

I discovered this when I strained what I thought were my USMKG this morning. Funny thing though, when I accidentally combined them yesterday they got in the jar!

I have "gifted" so many grains I don't keep more than 2TB here at a time. These little fellas must have liked the union because I kept taking out grains & taking out more again & again.

There was a WHOLE CUP of them. The kefir was extremely thick & rich!

OK so now I have 8qts in the fridge. They went into a LABELED milk filled jar in the fridge. I have a lot of drinking to do & haven't even attacked toe SSMK I have not to mention the yogurt from over a month ago.

Think I will give them & me a break... When I make mistakes like this last one, my brain must be on overload!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-23-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #284

Hey That's Great!!!! A Happy Marriage of Kefir Grains.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #285

Faithful, Porcupine, I'm gonna Send some Grains to Red. How much should I send? Faithful, How much did you send to me? I didn't measure it when I got it.

You said you Keep 2T, is that a good amount to send to someone to start Kefiring?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

I've received anywhere from 1/2 tsp to 1/2 cup of grains from different people. They all worked eventually, though some took more batches to get active. I would say it depends on how much the person receiving the grains wants to brew each day. If they want to do just a couple cups or a quart, just a couple grains should do it once they get active. For say a gallon, they're going to need more grains.

Dom has some 'secret formula' nutrient solution he claims to ship live grains in. He spills what is in it on one of his more buried pages.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa are you sending MK or WK?

WK 2Tb is good... just put in a baggie and triple bag... no need for water if it is traveling a few days. I give them a good concentrated sugar water soak for a couple days before sending.)

MK 2 good size grains or more will get them started on a couple cups of milk. I put it in cheese cloth and soak the cloth in milk then tripple bag again. It takes a few batches for them to know what they are doing and this wasy there is no wasted milk.

All the grains I have sent out have arrived well and active. They did not need jars or extra milk/sugar water. And believe it or not no one has said they had a problem with them kefiring right off the bat (no bad odor) in less it was one of you.

I did send some to a friend in AK and her WKG did not kefir as of last conversation.... but the she FORGOT to put sugar in the water... I will call her tomorrow to see if it was successful. Those poor babies didnt have food for over a week.

They are tough buggers so I am expecting a good report!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-25-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Hey That's Great!!!! A Happy Marriage of Kefir Grains.
Actually I miss TMKG! I loved how smooth is was..... Maybe the new marriage will be better! I still have 6 quarts to drink before I make more.

I am just not hungry these days! Takes me a long time to drink & eat what I make... must be getting a lot of use of the nutrients I take in because I used to be hungry all the time.

Huggs!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #289

I've already sent them, but I sent 2 Tablespoons in a few ounces of cold milk, triple bagged and by Priority mail so it should have gotten there the next day. I chilled them overnight to slow them down so they didn't get too unhappy on the trip.

Dont know if they arrived yet, but I hope they do fine. I sent 2T cause DOM suggests using 2T of Grains to 2 cups of milk and figured that was plenty of grains to get started. with any normal quantity of milk. It was only a third of my kefir grains, I ahve about 100g and the 2T was only 36g.

So Yesterday I put only 2T of grains in my 2 cups of milk and it took all day, along with the cool weather, to turn cheesy on top. I'm about to go strain it now, almost 24 hours later, instead of 8 like before with extra grains and hot weather. I'll report later how it tastes.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry to hear the MKG's got mixed Faithful! I don't have any of the just TMKG either since I had mixed them all together.

When reducing the amount of grains in the milk, it might take them a few batches to adjust and kefir within 24 hours.

I've been continuing with 1/2 gallon daily batches, then second fermenting with cinnamon and bee pollen for 3-4 days. It gets really good around day 4. Whatever is in the bottom is extremely good, it gives a slight euphoria for a little while after drinking it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

I may have to get some bee pollen & try your experiment - maybe some euphoria would give me relief from my body - just joking! But not about the bee pollen.. Going to my HFS on the 10th of next month... Evansville did not make me happy yday BUT I did stop by asian market for more pears a she only had some older ones (uck.. She said she would have more todsy as she gets trucks tues & sat. So I bought ONE DRAGON FRUIT! Pricy but a fun experiment. Everyone tasts different I am told! This one was beautiful inside & was filled with tiny seeds like poppy seeds-it was sweet! Will have to send you one sometime!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know if it is the bee pollen that does it or not. I've had a few batches where the last bit left in the jar at around 4 days tastes exceptionally good.

The dragon fruit sounds interesting! I peeled and tried the pear a few days ago, it was nice and tasty! I made sure to peel it after you mentioned that thing about the thorns, that sounds bad!

I messed up my kombucha possibly by using sucanat (basically unrefined sugar cane, like brown sugar kind of) in it, then I noticed it has been getting progressively bitter, and read that people said that is what happens with sucanat, that it needs to be mixed at least half/half with regular sugar.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Sorry to hear the MKG's got mixed Faithful! I don't have any of the just TMKG either since I had mixed them all together.

When reducing the amount of grains in the milk, it might take them a few batches to adjust and kefir within 24 hours.

I've been continuing with 1/2 gallon daily batches, then second fermenting with cinnamon and bee pollen for 3-4 days. It gets really good around day 4. Whatever is in the bottom is extremely good, it gives a slight euphoria for a little while after drinking it.
yeah, I noticed this. It tasted barely kefired, but then at 24 hours it was curdled but not twangy at all. I'm back to experimenting again. I think I liked the quick ferment now that I've changed it. Quick and Fizzy! I've still got 66g of grains left after Rede got some of it, so I could always put them all back in or most of them and just keep a smaller group to experiment the slower ferment with. I think I'll do that. Have my Quick and Fizzy and work on the Slow and Normal!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

USTMKG

The union of my USMKG & TMKG is absolutely AWESOME!
I made the mistake & joined them!

They are XXing as fast as my WK & have more fizz, thickness & flavor. Maybe I will take a few out & join them with the SSMKG & see what happens. Not for a while though- I AMLOST HAVE THE family Room finished & want to see the end. Wound up actually painting all the way up to the Living Room upstaies because of the stair case railing. Now I can't wait to get ALL the dark wood out of the house! White is way nice!

I really like the SSMKG but these USTMKG are awesome! Porcupine - Metqa ~ want some?? I know ya'll are overloaded but if you want???

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-29-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #295

How much milk kefir do you guys drink per day????
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

I drink 1/2 to 3/4 gallon kefir per day normally. Glad you like the mixed MKG's faithful! I had mixed the US and T MKG's too before receiving the other strains for the SS, it was pretty good! Glad you have your painting and house almost done!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa, about a quart!

Tomorrow I am NOT getting in the car which means I should get the trim work finished. I have a plan to have my room back by Fri so we can empth the next one which should be easier & faster (smaller & not so muc trim)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #298

Wow, Okay, So by comparison, my 2 cups per day, if that, is like a drop in the kefir bucket!

I'm trying to reconcile myself with the idea of "eating" the grains
I know they won't hurt me or anything, but I'm weird about texture and I don't know if I wanna chew on 'em. My grains are growing and growing. i don' t make enough Kefir to have all of them active in fact I put some away in the fridge and realize I still have too many in my jar, even after gifting some.

I've been thinking of some other options for the grains besides the simple suggestion of "eat them" cause I don't make blended shakes or smoothies very often. and less now the weathers cooler.

I just found a package of ranch mix and realized I could substitute Kefir for the milk and sour cream, and maybe whiz up some of the extra grains. or make a blue cheese dressing with it.

I'm thinking I wanna start a thread that asks what people make with their kefir and their kefir grains. For unimaginative people like me who are hesitant to eat their grains cause we don't know what to do with them ( and feel guilty about it )

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/or...l#post15133482

Do you think I could add some grains to some commercial kefir to give it a bit more flavor, right now it just smells and tastes like cheddar. I'm thinking of just pouring it out cause I've let it get old since I'm drinking real kefir. but I wonder if I can salvage it somehow.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Sure, Metqa, salvage it with grains! What can you loose?

Have been to your new thread & dropped a suggestion you didn't mention. Couldn't go back & edit spelling- poor phone is getting tired of all this internet stuff and never being used to talk on.

I'm thinking you really don't want me to send you MORE grains! HAHA!

MKG can be put in chocolate milk- maybe BF would like chocolate kefir & he can eat the grains when he is finished with the quart - Porcupine ate his chocolate master"pieces"!

I migt go get some chocolate milk and kefir it for fun- $Store by my house has some & I have to go there later today.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #300

Someone Said that yesterday but I thought they were pulling my leg, about the chocolate milk. You must have sent them a mental suggestion, but I didn't follow it, even though chocolate milk was on sale for a dollar!