Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
It's so overwhelming

Since I joined this board, I have learned so much. But at the same time, I have become utterly overwhelmed. It seems that just about everything in my everyday life is potentially toxic. From artificial sweeteners, to dairy, to soy, to different kinds of oils... grass-fed, free-range, wild-caught... GMOs, plastics, food colors/dyes... supplements... and even the fluoride in the water I drink! My.head.is.spinning
I don't know where to even start. It's so overwhelming, I just want to dig a hole and live in it.

What say you?
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
I say avoid carbs and eat and drink what you like. Period. I have no intention of living forever. Nor do I intend to worry about every health scare that comes along. But that's just me.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cammie
Stats: 262 / 245 / ?
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
I say avoid carbs and eat and drink what you like. Period. I have no intention of living forever. Nor do I intend to worry about every health scare that comes along. But that's just me.
This, basically. I do avoid most artificial sugars, but only because I tend to crave sweet things when I use them rather than being afraid that they're toxic. Over the years I've no doubt had plenty of exposure to bad things so worrying about it now is a bit late for me!
cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I used to worry about everything--absolutely everything. I made my family and myself upset for nothing really. Pesticides, yes are dangerous. But so many other things are just out on the table--I don't trust many studies anymore and I always want to see a source. It's ironic that in whatever direction the study goes, it's usually in favor of the company or source sponsoring. So, it means nothing to me. Everything can be manipulated to look good or bad.

Just to give you an idea, my family owns a cattle/wheat farm. The cattle are range-fed. And, they're injected with over 300 'things.' Can you actually tell me that eating them because they happen to eat 'grass' is any healthier? I don't believe the crap anymore about what's organic or range-fed or anything else. People were saying sugar-fed bees produced dangerous honey. A doctor friend of ours said it's absolutely bull and has been studying them for years. Organic is another thing--governmental regulations really mean nothing because it's a percentage that is used--not a total number. Does eating a 'little' bit of poison damage less over the long-term than a large amount? Maybe--but who can say what, how and to what extent?

In the end, I realized that my worry and stress was more damaging than what I was worried about. In general, I try to eat healthy. I had given up everything I loved--including coffee and chocolate only to find out later they can be of some benefit. I use artifical sweetners and other things maybe that aren't so good. But if they keep me on plan, that's okay. Being overweight, having IR, having PCOS (insulin-related) and having the predisposition for diabetes, in my opinion, is far worse than any food item could be.

I'm watching my father go downhill--insulin-dependent diabetic for over 20 years, congestive heart failure and 33% working kidneys. He knew LC was the best for him--and if you ask him now, I'm sure he would say a few sweetners or soy or whatever would have been a nice risk to take to save him from what he's going through now.

Enjoy the ride and don't worry so much. If you find something that really bothers you--then adjust or stop using it. But concentrate on the good side of LC and enjoy the benefits. Dr. Atkins used artifical things--so do the Eades doctors. I'm sure they're not idiots and won't use something that will end up destroying them later on.

Sorry for the rambling--just my humble opinion.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StoneAgeQueen
Stats: 168/144/120 - Height 5'5
WOE: Original Atkins and The Primal Blueprint
I only eat grass fed organic meat and dairy, I never eat grains and I wouldn't go anywhere near soy.. basically I'm paleo and I believe in evolutionary science which is just common sense to me, I believe that nature knows best. That said, I do on occasion have coffee with some sugar free syrup in it I believe that if you eat healthily 80% of the time then you can have a few cheats and it won't matter unless you have serious health issues. Worrying and stress are big contributors to health problems, so just do the best you can do and don't worry about being perfect.

By the way, if you want to read a book that discusses many of these issues I can recommend 'The primal Blueprint' by Mark Sisson.

“No one has ever explained to me how you can ask someone to lower their blood sugar level and yet recommend a diet based on sugar.” Dr Charles Clark, Diabetes expert.

Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 06-14-2011 at 05:00 AM..
StoneAgeQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Ugh, and after having my son my anxiety is 1,000X worse! Vaccines or no vaccines, checking for red and blue and yellow dyes in his snacks, BPA in plastics, HFCS, now all of this info is coming out about fluoride...seriously I worry so much about what I give him, it's nuts!!!! I guess that's why so many people say just stick to REAL, WHOLE foods...but even things grown in nature are covered with who knows what pesticides and toxins!!!!!!

OK, deep breath...I think the key is to find the woe that works for you, and if there are certain items that are bothersome, eliminate them. You can't worry about everything.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CGSF
Quote:
Exactly.

Don't waste your money on marketing gimmicks. ("cage free" eggs for example).

Will the soy in mayonnaise kill you? Maybe if you are consuming a gallon a week, but for most people it probably is not a problem.

This board can be insane sometimes. This will cause stalls, that will kill you, you can lose more if you drink 43 eight ounce glasses of water while you stand on your head in the corner.

IMO the best way to go is to keep it simple and take everything you read with a grain of salt.

BTW, I only drink cage free, organic diet sodas...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
don't forget my favorite...."make your own"....dressing, mayo, yogurt, cottage cheese, ghee, etc....its sooooo easy....not for me....im still pretty strict and worrisome, but a lot less than before. there is only so much you can do...just try your best.
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
[QUOTE=alligatorpie;14737635]don't forget my favorite...."make your own"....dressing, mayo, yogurt, cottage cheese, ghee, etc....its sooooo easy....not for meQUOTE]

I'm with you on this one!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StoneAgeQueen
Stats: 168/144/120 - Height 5'5
WOE: Original Atkins and The Primal Blueprint
I think the key is to do your best but not obsess over it and find out what works for you. Soy gives me cellulite and I'm very concerned with animal welfare so in my opinion buying free range meat and eggs is definitely not a waste of money, however other people may not care about this. Definitely some people take it too far, but eating every low carb frankenfood available isn't healthy either.
StoneAgeQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
In the past I have sometimes been totally derailed by trying to eliminate so many different things from my way of eating. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein because I am a diabetic. This time I've heeded his advice about eliminating the handy pink, yellow, and blue packets of sweetener - but not because I have problems with them - because of the maltodextrin used. I've switched to Truvia - don't like it as much as the others - but it will do.

You really have to try and sort out what really pertains to you. I'm going to take a crack at making olive oil mayo because I decided months ago that I should do more to balance omega 6 and 3. If that doesn't work out or it is terrible then I will go back to regular mayo.

Recently something was posted about leptin - almost made my head explode. Doesn't seem to be much you can do about leptin deficiency, overabundance, or resistance. I'm not worrying about it anymore!

Try to keep it as simple as possible. If something sounds like it applies to you maybe adjust your woe for a couple of weeks and give it a try. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't work, then eat it again.

I am trying not to worry so much. All the stress really doesn't help anything.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
It can be overwelming. Everything out there has a study stating it is bad. The sun, the water, fruit/veggies...sugar free stuff, all bad according to some study or such! I think the key is moderation!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shellyshebby
Stats: 260/202/180 5'9"
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/18/13
I guess maybe with age comes a little bit of - not so much wisdom - but lack of energy to worry about each and every little thing that I can.
My inner drama queen is a lot more chill than it used to be!
shellyshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
It can be overwhelming! ITA.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree that it can be overwhelming. There is an explosion of nutrition information in every conceivable direction. I think you have to pick and choose your 'battles'. For me, I am concerned about the quality of food I eat but I am limited by a tight budget so I make compromises and feel good that I try.

What I choose to eat, not eat, buy or make is entirely personal and there is no 'right or wrong' but only to make the best decision for you. That is true of what information to pay attention to. If it is not helpful or overwhelming, then push the 'ignore' button.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
THIS JUST IN!!
A recent study showed that recent studies causes cancer in laboratory animals!!!
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/148/150s
Start Date: July 2008
I feel ya, Speck. It sucks!
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
THIS JUST IN!!
A recent study showed that recent studies causes cancer in laboratory animals!!!
Thanks! And thanks to all of you feelin' my pain.

I'm just trying to get this weight off, I'll worry about balancing my Omega 3s and 6s and whether splenda is gonna make my liver explode later.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it is overwhelming sometimes, I agree.

on the other hand, knowledge is power. we only do the best we can. we can never be "perfect" even if the information we had on what "perfect" is was final and reliable.

we all just do the best we can! for some people, that's trying to ignore the whole thing. for others, it's trying to keep up with the news on these things and trying to use and not use things to maximize health.

I am convinced that hearing what you do here, you will make at least a few wiser decisions without even thinking about it. so it's all good.

please don't stress about it. *hug*
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Mostly I really pay attention to labels on everything...and avoid corn syrup, corn starch, etc. as much as I possibly can just cuz I know what they will do to me.

I do my best at avoiding chemicals of any kind, but it is truly impossible to get all our food 100% chemical free, regardless if it says certified organic or what. There are plenty of unseen chemicals just floating around the air.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SPECK
I completely understand what you say about being overwelmed. I too, use to drive myself nuts by saying, Dr. Oz says this, the cancer society says to much beef, and so on.

I made a decision to eat as organic as I could, no sugar, no frankenfoods and accept that I was making the best choices possible as I know them.

What happens from then....is not for me to clutter my mind with.

Any improvement is a step in a positive direction.
SPECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Speck333, . I say one step at a time, steps to live with for the long haul.

I have always had the hunch that you have a wisdom in you about peoples, ancestries, evolutionary eating, etc. Your posts in the Pastoral eating thread helped me a great deal. I found out more about the ancient peoples in northern Europe, and tailored my food plan to my ancestry.

To me, eating an ancestral/pastoral diet that fits our genetic make-up and our health parameters is key. You already have expertise in so much of that picture.

The science, the knowledge about nutrition and metabolism is vital, and the other part is love. Love for what we most deeply care about and for being ever so kind to ourselves. Staying out of things that cause us harm.

When I first came to this forum, the posts of two people stood out to me quite strongly: Looweewoo and Fawn. I used the search function and read hundreds of their posts. They got results by avoiding the things which caused problems, and by making sure to eat the most nutrient-dense food.

I also read the Maintainers Forum, over and over.

As you know, I eat VLC and according to Dr. Kurt Harris' Archevore plan. His recommendations for what to avoid and how to get the most nutrients was a huge, huge help. Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations refined that for me, with constant amounts of PRO and CHO. With those two plans, I found freedom and ever improving health.

It takes deliberate effort not to eat too much cream, but other than that my WOE is easy peasy, delightful, and simple.

Am sending you lots of good thoughts. I wish you much joy in walking the way that suits you the best.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I look for the ingredient label. If it doesn't have one, great- in the basket

If it does have a label, I read it and see if I can pronouce and identify each thing.

If I see "HFCS," "partially hydrogenated" anything or MSG, back it goes.

If soy, canola, a corn product (other than HFCS) or sugar is too high on the list, back it goes. Way down on the list of something that isn't a main food (like a spice or dressing), I'll consider it.

I buy organic off the dirty dozen list and organic dairy about 85% of he time. Meat is about 50-50.

I have tried to strike a balance between health and cost. I heed the warnings that make sense to me, and ignore an awful lot.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: satina
I live the best I can with the knowledge I have. Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the death rate is 100% no matter what.
satina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I can't avoid everything but the less processed foods I eat the better.

I still want to know the difference between organic bananas and regular bananas. No one at Whole Foods could ever explain that to me.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Sweetie, If you try to do & absorbe everything @ once it will be difficult & confusing. Learn 1 or 2 things master them then move to the next...Slow and steady gets the job done... That is what gets the job done ~ REMEMBER THE TORTISE & the hare...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 06-27-2011 at 08:08 PM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
I can't avoid everything but the less processed foods I eat the better.

I still want to know the difference between organic bananas and regular bananas. No one at Whole Foods could ever explain that to me.
It depends on the certifiability that the trantulas are only eating chemical-free insects off the bunches.

Daylight come and me wanna go home.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Your Ad Here
WOE: IF
I have felt the same way in the past. The key for me is to make one change at a time, and do the best I can. There are some things that nearly everyone advises: Eat more vegetables, and fewer processed foods. That is a great place to start. Then try to avoid the dirty dozen conventional foods by purchasing those items organic. Later you may decide to institute other changes. Just decide what is most important to you and begin!
Your Ad Here is offline   Reply With Quote