Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Suggestions for aluminum foil alternatives when using the oven?

I hate using aluminum foil because of the possible aluminum toxicity dangers. But I can't seem to get away from it especially now since I'm doing the hcg diet and can't use butter and oils.

I use the nonstick kind and I will put my chicken, fish, veggies, etc. on it in the oven. And sometimes I like to seal the food in a foil packet.

Any good suggestions for alternatives?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Maybe parchment paper or a silicone mat that you can put on your baking sheets/pans?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I was going to say parchment paper... In the past I made fish in parchment - closed up like you would wrap it in foil.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Maybe parchment paper or a silicone mat that you can put on your baking sheets/pans?
I have toyed with the idea of the silicone mats for a long time but there really is no good info on the safety of those at least not that I've been able to find.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I was going to say parchment paper... In the past I made fish in parchment - closed up like you would wrap it in foil.
Yes, I do use parchment paper sometimes. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can burn is the temp is too high. But I definitely do use it.

I didn't know you could wrap the fish up in parchment like that as you do with the foil. Will be trying that out for sure!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

I guess besides the parchment and silicone, there really are no other options to the foil.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
I would have to say parchment paper as well.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Um, not to be a nanny goat ( or is a nag?) , but you aren't cooking anything acidic nor would the fish be in contact with the foil for very long, are you? I don't think you risk aluminum poisoning on such a limited contact.
I thought the issue was aluminum pots and pans that are exposed to acidic foods, and high temperature prolonged or repeated exposure cooking.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont' use foil liners for my muffins anymore but I still use foil for baking or roasting short times.

Yes you can pouch parchment, don't use it over 400 degrees. It will steam inside the pouch. You can put your vegetable inside as well. I don't care for oven steamed fish so I've only done it once. Came out okay, but I decided parchment was too expensive for everyday cooking like that and went back to foil.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
Oh there is an alternative! What about steaming your food in a bamboo steamer? Granted it is not cooked in the oven but it would give you a healthier way to cook foods.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 06-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Administrator

Another option is to use a glass baking dish with a lid (or use foil to cover). Just add a little water to the bottom to help prevent sticking. Pyrex is usually pretty good about not sticking, in my experience.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #11

Oh , Dottie, You beat me to the pyrex Option. My BF was just saying how much he loves his pyrex and then I realized they are oven save as well as stove top safe. It's harder for me to find them these days, the small glass dishes.

But you can also get small ceramic single serve style dishes and just put the foil on top as a cover.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiannaLynn
The Pampered Chef stoneware (think there are several knockoffs!)is another option.
DiannaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
I do use parchment paper when possible, but also use a lot of non-stick aluminum foil- it works like a dream!
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
This is what I do.

I wrap the food in unbleached parchment paper so the only thing touching the food is the parchment. THEN, I wrap that in foil. The parchment doesn't seal as well as foil, but I don't like foil to touch my food (for any amount of time), so the 2 layer (parchment then foil) works really, really well for me.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Um, not to be a nanny goat ( or is a nag?) , but you aren't cooking anything acidic nor would the fish be in contact with the foil for very long, are you? I don't think you risk aluminum poisoning on such a limited contact.
I thought the issue was aluminum pots and pans that are exposed to acidic foods, and high temperature prolonged or repeated exposure cooking.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont' use foil liners for my muffins anymore but I still use foil for baking or roasting short times.

Yes you can pouch parchment, don't use it over 400 degrees. It will steam inside the pouch. You can put your vegetable inside as well. I don't care for oven steamed fish so I've only done it once. Came out okay, but I decided parchment was too expensive for everyday cooking like that and went back to foil.
I don't know metqa. But from what I've heard it's best to avoid aluminum foil so that's what I'm trying to do.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Another option is to use a glass baking dish with a lid (or use foil to cover). Just add a little water to the bottom to help prevent sticking. Pyrex is usually pretty good about not sticking, in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
This is what I do.

I wrap the food in unbleached parchment paper so the only thing touching the food is the parchment. THEN, I wrap that in foil. The parchment doesn't seal as well as foil, but I don't like foil to touch my food (for any amount of time), so the 2 layer (parchment then foil) works really, really well for me.
Dottie - I thought about glass but I have only used it when greasing the glass the butter. I'm not using butter now since I'm on the hcg diet. I will have to try using the water in the bottom.

RFL - Great idea. Didn't think of that. I tried wrapping my fish in just the parchment and it did not work out for me well at all. Will try putting the foil over the parchment. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Oh , Dottie, You beat me to the pyrex Option. My BF was just saying how much he loves his pyrex and then I realized they are oven save as well as stove top safe. It's harder for me to find them these days, the small glass dishes.

But you can also get small ceramic single serve style dishes and just put the foil on top as a cover.
I like those!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Carby Cat

Gallery: Tazcat
You can do a lot with parchment
Tazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lydia
Does anyone know what parchment paper is composed of? Is it coated with a layer of petroleum-derived wax?
Lydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #20
Administrator

Parchment paper (baking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #21

So, Dreamchaser,

What have you decided to do? Parchment? Ceramic Dish? Inquiring minds wanna Know.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lewis Werner
WOE: Generic Low Carb
Start Date: February 2010
I've found the glass baking dishes seem to work pretty well. When they're new (and not scratched at all) they are very smooth and almost non-stick it seems. I just let them soak overnight in hot soapy water and it doesn't seem to take too much scrubbing to clean them up nicely. I wanted to get away from the foil too.
Lewis Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #23

Quote:
So, Dreamchaser,

What have you decided to do? Parchment? Ceramic Dish? Inquiring minds wanna Know.
Hey metqa - I've tried 2 ways and I liked both of them.

The parchment inside of the aluminum foil (more expensive but easy cleanup).

A pyrex glass baking dish with water in the bottom. It works very well too!

And I wouldn't mind getting some of those single serve pyrex dishes if I happen to find some nice ones.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
All of the above-gave up foil & plastics a long time ago-health much better-always searching for glassware with glass lids for cooking-have a few pieces of the old Vision cookware & have given up the stainless pots-my health improved.

Good luck on your HCG diet! My son & his wife went on it through a weight loss clinic & it cost them a lot.. Did well but they gained back & more.. Now they decided to cou out a lot of carbs & junk food and they are doing well... Everyone has to find what works for them...I PRAY THIS IS SUCCESSFUL FOR YOU!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #25

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
i love parchment paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
All of the above-gave up foil & plastics a long time ago-health much better-always searching for glassware with glass lids for cooking-have a few pieces of the old Vision cookware & have given up the stainless pots-my health improved.

Good luck on your HCG diet! My son & his wife went on it through a weight loss clinic & it cost them a lot.. Did well but they gained back & more.. Now they decided to cou out a lot of carbs & junk food and they are doing well... Everyone has to find what works for them...I PRAY THIS IS SUCCESSFUL FOR YOU!
if the protocol is followed by correcting after EVERY time you gain 2 pounds it works wonderfully if you let it go longer or go back to eating the same way as before of course you are going to gain weight HCG has been a miracle for me and my family
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
i love parchment paper!

if the protocol is followed by correcting after EVERY time you gain 2 pounds it works wonderfully if you let it go longer or go back to eating the same way as before of course you are going to gain weight HCG has been a miracle for me and my family
I am thrilled for you!

Dukan has been terific for me.. I have modified it cause of my age but I will never go back to thw whole grains etc again! My son just didn't have the follow through- wifey said they didn't go back cause he gained a few pounds and didn't want to face the dr when he went back... Guess he is on the right track now.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote