Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Disposing of plastic containers and non-stick pans

What's your favorite container materials for cooking and storing food? Glass, ceramic, wood, etc?

After reading some articles about the various things that leech out of plastic into foods and the possible risks of non-stick cookware I am getting rid of those items. I was using plastic bottles to store drinking water but am replacing those with gallon clear glass wine jugs.

I was using a lot of aluminum foil too, I was cooking every meal on it and storing food in it because it was convenient and I didn't have to use plastic storage containers that way. But there seems to be some concern over whether that is getting too much aluminum into the food.

So I'm trying to use glass baking dishes for most things now. They seem to be working pretty good and are actually pretty much non-stick if you let them soak in hot soapy water overnight.

I have some stainless pans but those are a lot harder to clean after use it seems. I guess those can leech some iron, nickel and chromium into the food but supposedly it is not excessive.

I got rid of some old coffee mugs too and switched to glass mugs after reading that some of the older mugs especially had fair amounts of lead in the glaze. It's not supposed to leech too much out, but I guess it depends on if it was fired properly.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
I use stainless steel pans and this is the best way to clean them. After you remove your food from the pan pour hot water in them and deglaze them. Then use either powder or liquid Bar Keepers Friend cleanser to wash them. They come out perfectly clean.

Take care,

Tami
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the information. I'll have to check out the bar keeper's friend. I just got some Norpro stainless pans from Amazon. They have a really smooth almost mirror finish. I made bacon and eggs in it and they cleaned out easily with just a soap and sponge. A larger stainless pan I got at Wegmans has a rougher finish inside, that's the one that is almost impossible to clean. Maybe the bar keeper's friend can make short work of it!

I just got a bunch of other junk out of the house too. Scented candles, various chemicals and cleaners, and so on. I noticed spray cans are especially suspect for leaking.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
The best thing I ever did was invest in a heavy duty old fashioned cast iron pan. It cooks like nothing else and I will NEVER use any other type of frying pan! (ok, ok, except a wok, I love my wok and it is teflon coated :blush

As far as baking I use glass for everything.
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info. Yes there's a rummage sale coming up at church and I'm hoping to score some cast iron items there, since it will be about 10% the cost of buying it new. I remember my parents had cast iron pans and those always seemed to cook things very nicely and evenly.

I'm liking the glass pans for baking so far. I was a little worried about all those stories you hear about the pans 'exploding' on people. But generally I think that is from misuse, such as not preheating the oven, sitting it on a counter after taking out of the oven, going directly from freezer to oven, etc. One tip I saw was if you see any scratches in the glass to get rid of the pan, that liquids can ease down into the cracks and might make it fracture.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
I use cast iron, stainless steel and glass. My wok is aluminum, and I want to look into finding one that isn't.

I have broken 2 pie pans by taking them from a 400 degree oven and putting them on a cold counter. I don't recommend doing that.
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

The glass, cast iron, and stainless seem to be the most popular 'safe' choices out there. Maybe there's a cast iron wok available? That would probably weigh like 40 lbs though.

Hm point noted, I will not be sitting the glass pans on a counter since I don't want it to explode. I guess consumer reports was able to duplicate that many times, but they were filling them with sand and heating to 500F then sitting them on a counter. The other time I think they can explode is if you put something in them that could leak cold juices. Like putting a frozen turkey in it, then if the pan gets to say 375F at the edges, and suddenly this just thawed liquid starts running over the area, I think that can make it stress fracture too.

I like to put ground meat into a pan, bake it for about 15 minutes, then add eggs to it and bake for another 10 minutes. So I use the stainless 8x8 cake pan for that. I think doing that in the glass pan would be asking for trouble, with the cold eggs hitting the hot glass pan.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
I broke a 9x13 casserole dish by sticking it in the sink when it was still hot. I intended to run water into it before the gunk cooled and really stuck on there so it would be easier to clean. I didn't let the water heat up first and the cold water cracked it into 4 or 5 good chunks the instant it hit
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you weren't hurt by the glass pan breaking! Some of those stories about the glass breaking are pretty horrifying. There was one story about some woman who was taking the glass pan out of the oven, I think it had chicken in it, and some liquid ran to side of the pan and then it shattered. The article said the glass kind of exploded and shards went through tendons in both of her ankles or something like that.

My gallon glass jugs arrived the other day so I can start using those for drinking water instead of the plastic water bottles I was using before.

Last edited by porcupine73; 03-22-2011 at 07:06 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: granolamom
Stats: HW:241 SW:236/212.6/145
WOE: Atkins <20g net carb/clean eating
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I LOVE my cast iron skillets, I also use stainless steel.

I store food in glass. The exception lately is I've been making a lot of bone broths so I have them completely cooled then I put them in plastic bags for the freezer. I need to get some more glass containers and then I'll store them that way.
granolamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Yes glass seems good for storage. The cast iron seems very popular and I'll be looking to pick some of that up at the rummage sale. I saw on Amazon a nice 8x8 cast iron cake pan that would fit my little oven perfectly. I like the cast iron dutch ovens too but I don't think it would fit in my little oven, though maybe they can be used on a cooktop?

Ah freezing the bone broth, that is a great idea. I made my first batch, about four gallons a couple weeks ago and there's no way I could drink even a gallon in a week. I didn't think of freezing it for some reason. I notice some of the smaller Ball jars are listed as freezer safe but the bigger ones aren't. I started a small, less than half gallon of bone broth from a beef arm roast last night so I'll see if I can use that up.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: granolamom
Stats: HW:241 SW:236/212.6/145
WOE: Atkins <20g net carb/clean eating
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I have an enamaled cast iron dutch oven and it goes on the stove top or in the oven. I love it.

I have a cast iron muffin pan that I got a couple months ago but I have not used it yet.

I still have a non-stick muffin pan and griddle neither one is used often but I do plan to move away from them. The cast iron one is pretty small I'd like to get a stoneware muffin pan.
granolamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Pyrex for leftovers, cooking casserole dishes, etc.

Stoneware pan (Pampered Chef) for LC muffins

Cast iron skillets. I have a giant "fish pan" that is like a huge (heavy!) cast iron roaster that fits two chickens side by side. Great on a weekend when I want to cook extra chicken for other recipes.

I freeze soup in the ball freezer jars. One works well for my two older kids for lunch and it is a great convenience food for us to have around. It isn't much more difficult than opening a can of storebought soup. I thaw in advance if I remember, and if not I set the can in a pan of warm water in the sink til it thaws a tiny bit (15 mins?) and then I can usually dump out the contents into a pot (and then break up the still frozen part as it cooks).
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 230/188/150
WOE: low carb / sustainable foods
Start Date: March 2011
There was something on the evening news tonight (ABC) about BPA's in plastic containers. A test was run in which family members' blood levels were tested, and found positive for BPA, and then after just three days of using glass containers instead of plastic, and avoiding all canned food or anything that had touched plastic, the levels dropped by 60%. Within a few days of reverting back to their usual habits, their blood levels went back up again.

The food industry, oh surprise of surprises, says it's perfectly safe.

Other than convincing my husband that it's worth the time it takes to wrap his lunch sandwich in waxed paper, I've made a lot of changes here in the house. But we run a CSA and pack baskets each week for 50 members. I'm at a loss for what to do with the greens, we might have as many as three kinds a week, that's 150 bags. If they're unwrapped, the quality deteriorates quickly. But oh, the prices of the biodegradable bags......you wouldn't believe. $200 for a roll that wouldn't last us more than a few weeks. It's going to add up fast. Wish I could think of an alternative.
katie in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie in progress View Post
There was something on the evening news tonight (ABC) about BPA's in plastic containers. A test was run in which family members' blood levels were tested, and found positive for BPA, and then after just three days of using glass containers instead of plastic, and avoiding all canned food or anything that had touched plastic, the levels dropped by 60%. Within a few days of reverting back to their usual habits, their blood levels went back up again.
That's interesting info, thanks for sharing. That stuff does seem to be pretty nasty, mimicing estrogen and other odd things. It took some time and effort but I've been able to get away from using any plastic for food or drink preparation or storage. Now many foods I purchase do come in plastic and sometimes there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Quote:
Of course, they always say that type of thing. Let's face it, plastic is lightweight, cheap, durable, and many people aren't going to be willing to pay a premium for glass or other containers. I was trying to find apple juice in glass containers and they had none the other day. I remember as a kid almost all the juices were in glass containers.

It's like the microwave safe plastic containers. Safe for the microwave perhaps, in that they don't completely melt. But safe for the person to eat the food microwaved in it? Maybe not so much.

Last edited by porcupine73; 03-31-2011 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: microwave
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I had a friend recently treated at one of the big cancer hospitals in Wash. D'C.and they were most insistent that no plastic ever be used in the microwave. I've since used glass containers. I never heard that it was dangerous to store in plastic. I'd like to hear more research about that.
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Study: Reduce BPA Exposure by Cutting Consumption of Packaged Foods - ABC News

that's the link to what was on last night's news.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

A recent study came out stating that it isn't just bpa that releases estrogen mimickers, but most plastics. 70% of the food packaged in plastics was found to leach, and when the plastic was heated (similar to use of dishwasher, foods kept in a hot truck, etc.) 95% leeched.

This was covered by npr. The author does have a stake in a "safer" plastics co.

Study: Most Plastics Leach Hormone-Like Chemicals : NPR

The environmental working group has a large compilation of research on BPA and plastics (and some of the politics/lobbying that has gone into the decision making with respect to "safety") BPA | Environmental Working Group . This site has kept a nice compilation of research for years: Our Stolen Future: Home

Many store receipts have BPA and it is in a form that can be absorbed by the skin:
EWG Tests Find High BPA Loads on Receipts | Environmental Working Group

eta: there have been a lot of studies showing bpa to be safe but these were almost all industry-funded studies, so read carefully. Industry studies in the past have gone to great lengths to hide the effects of BPA by doing research on a specific breed of rats (Sprague Dawley) that aren't sensitive to the effects of BPA. Great way to "mask" any effect BPA has and make it appear safer than it is. Lovely trick.

Last edited by brittone2; 04-01-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PIKNIK
Stats: 169/142/138 5'10
WOE: VLC w/egg fasting. Maintaining 20-60g
Start Date: 3/11
Throw away those non stick and plastic! Toss ( or donate) your microwave. I have found many good deals at Home Goods and T.J Max on high end Stainless steel and Porcelain covered cast iron.
Stainless Steel popsicle molds for the kids - I will have those molds forever. And stainless luchboxes. easy to clean and no sandwich bags!!
A little baking soda and a cut lemon to help stubburn food on stainless. Or just boil water in them before cleaning
PIKNIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Good suggestions Piknik. I'll have to check out TJMaxx, I've heard they have a lot of good deals there. I know this guy Michael who buys his suits there too.

I'm completely off the microwave, that wasn't too hard of an adjustment to make. I'm using mostly Pyrex for food storage and cooking, and some stainless. I found these small glass pyrex with glass lids that fit perfectly in a medium crock pot for rewarming.

The stainless I've been letting soak with soap overnight then it seems to wash out pretty easily. They were from Amazon.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rana
Stats: Originally 168/162/135 (5'3)
WOE: Trying to eat healty
Start Date: January 2013
Here in Turkey, lots of people keep their greens fresh by wraping them in simply newspaper maybe that might be an alternative I don't know .
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie in progress View Post

Other than convincing my husband that it's worth the time it takes to wrap his lunch sandwich in waxed paper, I've made a lot of changes here in the house. But we run a CSA and pack baskets each week for 50 members. I'm at a loss for what to do with the greens, we might have as many as three kinds a week, that's 150 bags. If they're unwrapped, the quality deteriorates quickly. But oh, the prices of the biodegradable bags......you wouldn't believe. $200 for a roll that wouldn't last us more than a few weeks. It's going to add up fast. Wish I could think of an alternative.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I have replaced my non stick pans w/ the new ceramic coating non stick ones. I found these at the discount store Ross's. They are made in Italy & they are white on the inside. Very easy to clean, I bought them in all sizes.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I use stainless steel and cast iron for stove-top and glass for baking.

Tip: the original Pyrex company used superior glass and tempered it to very high-temps. That's why our moms and grandma's never complained of them breaking. The new Pyrex use lower-quality glass and don't temper it as well. That's why the new ones break sometimes. I have my mom's Pyrex glass 9x13 dish that I use for anything that goes in the oven. I recommend looking into used older pyrex.

Also for stainless steel pans, if you want to stay away from chemicals (barkeepers friend) you can soak them, and then use plain steel wool. It takes all the food and stains off and shines them up nicely.

For cast iron, scrub it out with coarse salt. The salt is abrasive and will help remove gunk.

For glass, I soak overnight and use a scrub brush. I will use steel wool on the tougher parts.

Good for everyone for giving up plastic, aluminum and teflon!!! Also, I do use aluminum to cover my glass containers as long as it's not touching the food. I use wide-mouthed mason jars for storage. Also, I I ask my friends and neighbors for their Salsa and Pickle jars. They also have wide mouths.

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Rana, that would make perfect sense, but it would freak out our food inspectors, who have a whole list of regulations about how food can be sold at our markets.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fluffiness
Stats: SW: 154 CW:148 GW: 116
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Apri 2011
Hi, I just read your interesting discussion. Never thought about the plastic leeching into my food...

Concering the pans: I just got a green pan 2 weeks ago (they were on sale at my grocery store) and I really love them. Do you think they are ok?
Home - Green Pan

Thanks,
Fluffi
fluffiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I cook with old ironware, old Pyrex, and old stainless. New Pyrex is made differently. I think the change was around 2000. There is a wide variety in stainless steel content. Take a magnet, and make sure it sticks to the sides and the bottom of the pan, when buying. The ironware should have a tight grain and a smooth surface.

Food storage: glass jars. Takes some effort not to use ziplock bags.

I used the old plastic containers from sour cream and such, for growing seeds, or taking plants to plant swaps.

I also use loose tea rather than tea bags. Tea bags have bleach and who-knows-what in the paper.

There are also good water purifiers that take out chlorine, fluoride, and other nasty stuff. I use a stainless steel Berkey.

It's nice to read of others taking care of their health in this area. Thanks for the thread!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

If anyone is curious about BPA/plastics leeching, I just posted a bunch of links in the cool whip bowl cake thread as a counterpoint on plastics safety.

BPA has been linked to insulin resistance, which is something as low carbers I assume most people would have some concern about.

It is unlikely the actual cool whip bowl contains BPA, but probably contains many other estrogen mimickers.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
AuntieEm, Just wondering how you can tell old pyrex from new. All I have is the new stuff, still decent price & made in USA, not China.

Last edited by Heidinem; 05-01-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Heidi, I don't know how one tells by looking. Perhaps there is a website which shows the difference in glass markings or the painted lines and numbers, or shapes.

I have heard of the new stuff, which is, AFAIK, after ca. 2000, shattering, cracking, exploding in microwaves, etc.

Folks at one of these sites might know.

Welcome to Pyrex Love

Corelle Corner - Corelle Pyrex Patterns Dates Information

That's the best I can do.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I have heard about problems with newer pyrex, but I use it for almost all of my food storage and oven cooking, and haven't had a problem. I've been using our Pyrex for about 7 years. That said, I try not to "shock" it excessively.

I probably just jinxed myself!