Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
What's your take on pasteurized milk products?

Do you consume them? Or only products made from raw milk? I've seen articles saying the heat portion of the pasteurization process damages the milk.

I like things like butter, cream and yogurt, but getting them unpasteurized in NY is a little tricky but not impossible. Unpasteurized cheese is no issue; it can be sold here provided it is aged at least 60 days.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Hi Porcupine! I'm over in MA in the Berkshires. I drink raw milk now since January. I eat raw cheese too, which has ruined me for "regular" cheese. That stuff tastes so dull and dead to me now. I get heavy cream that is pasturized but not from a giant confinement dairy, rather a small local dairy where I can see the cows out grazing in the field. My butter and ghee are from pastured cows as well. I'm still eating regular commercial sour cream and cream cheese.

I can't wait til Spring when the cows can be out eating fresh grass again. I'm wondering if I'll be able to taste the difference in the milk & cream. I know it will have more Vitamin K2 so it will be even healthier.
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gilmore
I personally stopped drinking milk about two years ago. Everyonce in awhile, I'll drink raw goat milk, but even that's rare. I love cheese though. So, I can't say that I don't consume dairy products. Instead, I've switched to drinking hemp milk and almond milk. Not quite the same, I know, but they're delicious and nutritious for you.
Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshine272
Stats: 212/187/145
WOE: Low carb/Whole Foods/No grains
Start Date: 6/29/2009
Everything I've read says the same thing, so I treat it like I do organic foods. I buy the best I can afford and as I can find it. My farmer has raw milk sometimes, but it is hard to get a steady supply. Anytime I find raw milk products in the store I buy them to vote with my dollars, and I NEVER buy anything ultra-pasturized like "organic" milk from Horizon that needs no chill. Only if I'm in an emergency situation...But, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by sunshine272; 03-16-2011 at 06:04 PM..
sunshine272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info. I haven't found a reliable local source for raw cow's milk, though I did find raw goat milk nearby. I'm more looking for raw cheeses now. I was buying Organic Valley unpasteurized cheeses, but then I read at WAP that they actually are still heated above 150F, so I'm not sure about those. It is kind of irritating to find that out.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Wow, I buy Organic Valley cheese too, it says raw cheese and it's not? Thanks for the info, very irritating. Just when I think I have it figured out, I don't... What is WAP?

Last edited by sunshine272; 03-16-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

WAP is the Weston A. Price site. Yes it does say raw on the package I think. I'm guessing that 150F is low enough to still be able to say it isn't pasteurized. I can find the link if you'd like. I stumbled across it when reading about the Organic Valley coop passing some rule that any farm selling milk through the co-op was not allowed to sell raw milk on the side.

edit: Here's the link: http://www.westonaprice.org/in-the-n...aw-milk-policy
If you scroll down about six paragrpahs it says
Quote:
Instead of producing what consumers were asking for dairy products as natural
as possible, such as low-temperature, non-homogenized milk. CROPP chose to market
ultra-high temperature (UHT), homogenized industrial-style milk and cream. (UHT
processing takes milk to 230 degrees F, way above the boiling point, thereby killing
every enzyme and immune-supporting factor in the milk.) When they branched out into
eggs, they chose the industrial organic confinement model, instead of pastured
poultry, something their grass-based farmers were perfectly positioned to do. Their
raw cheese is actually heated to above 150 degrees.
They also sell an Organic
Valley brand of soy milk.

Last edited by porcupine73; 03-16-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I thought maybe it was Weston Price the A through me :0 Don't need the link but thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Actually looking at the product page for the Organic Valley 'raw cheese' there are a number of comments posted to the page of people who seem pretty upset about the temperature the cheese is heated to. They don't seem to actually state the temperature on their site, but they do say:
Quote:
The difference in our "raw milk" cheeses is in the way our pasture-raised cow's milk is processed before the cheese making even begins. Referred to as "sub-pasteurization," our organic milk is "heat treated" to the threshold of pasteurization without actually being pasteurized. The benefit of using a heat-treated, as opposed to pasteurized, milk is that some of the natural enzymes (lipase, phosphatase, etc.) will not be denatured. This helps to impart a unique flavor profile to the cheese.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Can't find raw milk here in Ohio unless you actually know a dairy farmer and they will let you have some. It is illegal to sell it here.

A few years ago I started looking because I wanted to make my own dairy products but that idea was quickly shot down.
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

tcalhoun, if you're still interested in raw milk then check out the info at this link: Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk? . You could found a cow-share arrangement nearby.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/2011
I actually found several stores in PA (about 45-60min) that sell raw milk and raw milk products. I'm going to make a trip up there next week.

Take care,

Tami
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

That's cool, Tami. Let us know how that works out.

I'm going to try raw goat's milk in the spring. There is a very small goat dairy a couple of towns over from my mom. They also sell duck eggs and I'm excited to try those too.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
Hope I don't get in trouble for posting a link, but you might find this interesting:

The 15 Things that Pasteurization Kills in Milk | Health Impact News

I love raw milk and am blessed to have a source 5 minutes from my house. I found it quite by accident. I was buying eggs from the same little farm and one day asked about milk. I pay $3 a gallon, because my elderly farm lady doesn't realize the value of what she's selling. I'd recommend looking for local farms and asking about eggs, milk, or both.

I would do without than ever drink pasteurized milk again. As Mark says in the article above: "Pasteurization does not create clean milk, it just kills filthy milk."
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I would like to add, I always attributed my husband's healing of lifelong, severe allergies to his raw milk consumption. After reading Mark's article (even though I know pasteurized milk blocks calcium absorption), I've started wondering if that was the biggest change in my diet that led to my arthritis disappearing. (My arthritis was doctor documented and "treated")
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info Lifer. The article is interesting. I was also reading that the biggest impact on safer milk for consumption was refrigeration, not pasteurization, although the pasteurization crowd likes to take the credit. I don't think you'll get in trouble for the link since I don't see anything for sale there and not even any ads.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

It is a lengthy article, but it does have a lot of good info. I know that a lot of people have been told to cut out dairy or have been diagnosed (self or by a doctor) as lactose intolerant. I think it's in the article I posted that it is said, people aren't allergic to milk, they are allergic to pasteurization. The pasteurization and homogenization process alters milk to the point that the difference between it and raw milk are like night and day. In all of my studying and in my personal experience, raw milk promotes health and pasteurized is actually detrimental to it.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a raw milk advocate!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, I'm a raw milk advocate!
Me too! I'm a food renegade. Thanks for the link. I've got it saved to favorites to read tomorrow. Gotta go to bed now.

Milk used to give me a stomach ache. Raw milk gives me no problems at all. I love the stuff. I've been drinking it for a couple of months now and I'm feeling great. I'm getting strong and muscular without working out. And I can breathe through both my nostrils for the first time in maybe forever (although this could be due to lack of inflammation from avoiding grains). I drink 2 or 3 cups a day.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Ahh...a fellow renegade!!