Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie in progress View Post
Selenium shots. Awesome! I can do that, I've given them other shots. I'd rather have fall births anyway, to be honest - I have more time to make cheese in the winter.

Sorry to hear someone else has a goat in the Chastity Club, but you'll get a kick out of this story - another farmer friend and I met at a coffeeshop in the upscale town where we have our market. I was bemoaning the fact that Fiona's still not pregnant and we realized the nosy lady in the next booth thought we were taking about a teenager! She was getting more and more indignant and making louder and louder comments to her friend about irresponsible parents (me, apparently!) so I finally leaned back and said "um, Ma'am, we're talking about a goat."
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Katie, you may get less milk yield in the winter, but it will pick up around February or so. Just wanted to be sure and mention that as a drawback. However, I think that if it matches your cheesemaking time better, it will be worth it to time it that way. And just think of the nifty presents you can give people (those who are worthy, lol). You could make little brie wheels and tortas and stuff like that. Ooh, a nice Christmas torta would be layers of chevre with sun dried tomato for one layer (red) and pesto for the other layer (green). Even just a chevre ball or wheel rolled in basil on the side with dots of sundried tomatoes on the top would be great.

Okay, so I get a little carried away sometimes...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 230/188/150
WOE: low carb / sustainable foods
Start Date: March 2011
Mermaid, we should all be carried away by such awesome things. I've actually thought about the Christmas present options! But tortas with layers hadn't occurred to me, that would be amazing.......if I could bring myself to give them away. This past year, we gave each of the kids an inexpensive freezer, and filled it up with meat. Since most everything is on a rotating pasture system and we barter for the custom butchering, there wasn't a lot of expense. They got beef, pork, chicken, duck, goat, and turkey, including smoked sausages, bacon, and ham. "Beats hell out of getting socks!" one of them said.

We might not have much actual cash here, but we sure eat well!
katie in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Quote:
This past year, we gave each of the kids an inexpensive freezer, and filled it up with meat. Since most everything is on a rotating pasture system and we barter for the custom butchering, there wasn't a lot of expense. They got beef, pork, chicken, duck, goat, and turkey, including smoked sausages, bacon, and ham.
OMG, adopt me please!!!! That's the best gift evah!!!
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanberrycritter View Post
OMG, adopt me please!!!! That's the best gift evah!!!
Me too!

(Nannyberry--what the heck is PaNu?)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
We had goats when I was a kid. They have the best personalities-very similar to cats. That's what I've always thought anyway. Can you eat an animal that you've raised and grown attached to? Because believe me, you will get attached to them. I coldn't do it now as an adult. When we were kids it was hard knowing we were going to eat them. I'm surprised I am not a vegetarian becuase of it...
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
We had goats when I was a kid. They have the best personalities-very similar to cats. That's what I've always thought anyway. Can you eat an animal that you've raised and grown attached to? Because believe me, you will get attached to them. I coldn't do it now as an adult. When we were kids it was hard knowing we were going to eat them. I'm surprised I am not a vegetarian becuase of it...
We have never been able to eat any of our animals, but I have noticed that people who do raise animals for meat don't get so friendly with the ones they are going to eat. I WISH I could raise animals for butchering, but it just seems to be something I can't do. I was raised a city girl so maybe that's why. So, I just stick to raising them for excellent eggs and milk and companionship, and buy my meat from good sources.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 230/188/150
WOE: low carb / sustainable foods
Start Date: March 2011
Well, I got a surprise when I went into the barn today. It's eight days after the latest I should have expected a baby, and so I figured Maeve had once again stuck to her vows of chastity....and there certainly wasn't a baby bump or any of the usual pre-natal behavior. And yet, I have a new voice in the barn as of exactly ninety minutes ago (I got to watch), a lovely little boy with floppy Nubian ears like his Daddy. So I'll have some goat milk this summer after all. And I'll get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day today.
katie in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie in progress View Post
Well, I got a surprise when I went into the barn today. It's eight days after the latest I should have expected a baby, and so I figured Maeve had once again stuck to her vows of chastity....and there certainly wasn't a baby bump or any of the usual pre-natal behavior. And yet, I have a new voice in the barn as of exactly ninety minutes ago (I got to watch), a lovely little boy with floppy Nubian ears like his Daddy. So I'll have some goat milk this summer after all. And I'll get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day today.
Wow. Congratulations! I'll bet the little dude is cute as can be!