Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
Clean Eating

Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone else is living the clean eating lifestyle popularized by Tosca Reno? I just started and would love to bounce some thoughts, questions and ideas off of some of you wonderful ladies and gents of this board. :-)
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
good luck! I buy oxygen magazine regularly and since she is the owners wife she gets ALOT of publicity in there.. She was also on the ny best seller list.. im sure there must be a bunch of people on the net who have read her book.. I would read it.. but by her articles she doesn't eat low carb at all, so it would be a waste of my money..
good luck!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I'd never heard of the plan before so I'm checking out the site. Not much real info on it so far but the meal plans suggest it is a low fat plan. Lots of FF dairy there. It's 6 meals per day?

I realize it is not a calorie counting plan but the calories are most likely pretty low judging by the food. It sounds like it would work for a lot of people but it looks to be too low in protein & fat for me. I do better limiting/avoiding grains.

Good luck with this & let us know how you do. Hopefully others doing the plan will post.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'd never heard of the plan before so I'm checking out the site. Not much real info on it so far but the meal plans suggest it is a low fat plan. Lots of FF dairy there. It's 6 meals per day?

I realize it is not a calorie counting plan but the calories are most likely pretty low judging by the food. It sounds like it would work for a lot of people but it looks to be too low in protein & fat for me. I do better limiting/avoiding grains.

Good luck with this & let us know how you do. Hopefully others doing the plan will post.
I've just started but I think the concept of eating clean is just the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. A person's calorie intake can be as they choose based on their goals and physical makeup as I don't understand there to be any strict guidelines (I may be wrong). Protein and healthy fats are EXTREMELY stressed though. I find that many professional bodybuilders and fitness athletes tend to choose this way of eating.

I just started so we'll see how it works for me. I'm at goal so I reintroduced grains back into my diet awhile ago. Time will tell, with eating clean. Hopefully, I don't screw anything up! LOL

1st Goal - 150lbs
2nd Goal - 145lbs
3rd Goal -139lbs
4th Goal - 135lbs
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove View Post
good luck! I buy oxygen magazine regularly and since she is the owners wife she gets ALOT of publicity in there.. She was also on the ny best seller list.. im sure there must be a bunch of people on the net who have read her book.. I would read it.. but by her articles she doesn't eat low carb at all, so it would be a waste of my money..
good luck!
Wow! I love Oxygen magazine and I didn't know her connection. Interesting! Yeah, there are a few adjustments I've had to make switching from low carb to clean eating but not too many as I am mainly in maintenance and I already eat grains. We'll see what happens. I always love an adventure!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
I bought her cookbooks and subscribe to both clean eating and oxygen. I love the workouts and always twist the recipes toward lc.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsuzy
Stats: 165/141/125
WOE: Atkins
MS Mamba,

I like the clean eating principles that Tosca Reno has written about. I also agree that the clean eating can be applied to LC. I read the clean eating magazine for Feb. I think there is a lot to be gleaned from it, i.e. whole foods, healthy fats, and and no processed junk! I take from her books and mags what works for me (which is lc & no junk) and apply it my life. It is working b/c I am getting skinny.
Best of luck to you!

bsuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitandhappy
Stats: 148/141/135 5'7 med frame
WOE: CKD, Atkins
Start Date: 1/25/11
I LOVE Tosca Reno! I eat clean, but in a low carb version of it.
fitandhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsuzy
Stats: 165/141/125
WOE: Atkins
Another thing I was thinking of that I really enjoyed learning from Tosca is her idea to carry a "cooler" (mini lunch box/bag) of healthy snacks/food. I know that when I am out running errands or taking my DD to activities, I am very prone to eat junk if I don't pack snacks & water ahead of time.
bsuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuzy View Post
Another thing I was thinking of that I really enjoyed learning from Tosca is her idea to carry a "cooler" (mini lunch box/bag) of healthy snacks/food. I know that when I am out running errands or taking my DD to activities, I am very prone to eat junk if I don't pack snacks & water ahead of time.
The cooler idea is great. It helps me stay on my woe better than anything else. I also pack a big water bottle in mine.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitandhappy
Stats: 148/141/135 5'7 med frame
WOE: CKD, Atkins
Start Date: 1/25/11
I have my cooler packed with me when I go to work everyday! A very good habit I acquired when I was doing BFL last year. Sometimes the cafeteria doesn't serve such healthy options. I'll spend a day prepping out all my foods, put them in containers.. Make life so much easier!
fitandhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlove View Post
Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone else is living the clean eating lifestyle popularized by Tosca Reno? I just started and would love to bounce some thoughts, questions and ideas off of some of you wonderful ladies and gents of this board. :-)
You can do LC and clean eating. Clean eating for me just means shopping on the outside perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh produce, fresh meats, fresh dairy. If you think about it all the bad stuff is throughout the aisles of the store, processed foods loaded with preservatives, chemicals, and virtually no nutrition.

Example, right now I'm eating peeled and sliced cucumbers (sliced like carrot sticks) sprinkled with fresh lime juice. Sometimes I add a bit of salt, sometimes a bit of tajin, sometimes garlic powder.

A medium size cucumber is 62 calories, 4gms carbs, 1gm fiber (3 net carbs), and 1gm protein.

If you want to splurge just a little bit and not be totally clean eating mix a little bit of hot sauce in some ranch dressing, not enough to make it hot - just enough to call it Buffalo ranch. Or.... if you do like hot (unlike me) add a lot of hot sauce.

Or....

Celery. A medium stalk of celery is 1gm carbs, 1gm fiber (zero net carbs) and 6 calories. Add a bit of Laura Scudders peanut butter, not a lot but just a little. Any brand that is just peanuts and not preservatives, etc.

Eating clean is really all about keeping it simple. If you can't pronounce any of the ingredients in the product, it's not eating clean.
WASaBubbleButtInMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chyara
Stats: 275/243/130.3
WOE: Low Carb
i've been thinking of this myself. I want to make Clean Eating and Low Carb my lifestyle. my type 2 diabetes is in remission, and i have pcos.
I don't like the idea of adding chemicals to my food.
chyara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
now that im eating paleo I guess im eating clean too! lol
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
CLEAN EATING

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlove View Post
Hello,

I like the idea very much & I tried it for a while. I was so focoused on food all day every day it wasn't good for me. I had trouble eating all my foods while working because she says to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day. I have all of her books & cook books too! Low carb is best for me because it takes away the hunger monster & I'm not totally food focoused 24/7 I guess eating fewer processed foods is still clean eating, whole, fresh foods.

Good luck with the plan, we are all diferent!!

Last edited by Savannah; 05-15-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
I have been eating clean long before I heard of her.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
I read her book a while back and I liked the concepts, though the book itself was presented in what I felt was too "glossy" a way (sort of like a magazine), so that turned me off a bit. But I do frequent her message boards and right now I am definitely following a "clean eating" way but using the South Beach Diet as my guide rather than her plan. So far I'm enjoying it very much.

I have to revisit her "cooler" idea, though. With some luck, I'll be starting grad school in July and I'll be at the university all day, so I'll need a "cooler" of healthy snacks :-).

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote