Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   coconut milk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/705552-coconut-milk.html)

wanttobethinagain 01-11-2011 04:42 PM

coconut milk

anyone tried coconut milk I saw it in one of my magazine that Jillian Michaels was advertising and I was just wondering about it thanks

pepperette 01-11-2011 04:48 PM

Love it!:heart::heart::heart: Use it all the time. Have a gallon of coconut flakes due just for the purpose of making my own.:kicking:

ga_kimmie 01-14-2011 06:41 PM

I have used both the stuff in cartons (sold in refridgerated section) and the stuff in a can (made coconut curry chicken with cauliflower rice with it tonight).

MamaSage 01-14-2011 10:29 PM

It's awesome stuff. Get the full fat, not "lite". Tastes like wonderful, coconutty goodness. Nom nom.

MagicalHome 01-15-2011 12:33 AM

I use it in cooking vegetables, especially squash. In curry dishes, too. It can also be used to make your hair shiny. It has a lot of uses. :clap:

Key Tones 01-15-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga_kimmie (Post 14273106)
I have used both the stuff in cartons (sold in refridgerated section) and the stuff in a can (made coconut curry chicken with cauliflower rice with it tonight).

Please, how did you make this? It sounds wonderful!

Timeless1 01-28-2011 08:47 PM

I am sure I have in the past, but dont remem. So I just ordered some yesterday to try. I tried coconut water this summer and did not like it ,but will try other brands. Who knows there may be one I like. Supposed to be sooo good for you.

MamaSage 01-28-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless1 (Post 14323848)
I am sure I have in the past, but dont remem. So I just ordered some yesterday to try. I tried coconut water this summer and did not like it ,but will try other brands. Who knows there may be one I like. Supposed to be sooo good for you.

I need to point out here that coconut milk and coconut water are two different things. The water is a source of electrolytes, but if you're not careful, it's also a whopping source of sugar. Coconut milk is a different animal. It's thick, white, and tastes like coconut. The taste is pleasant though, and I don't find it overpowering.

Synergi 02-02-2011 08:39 PM

I use it in my coffee.

Emerald 02-03-2011 12:48 AM

I only use coconut cream as it contains less carbs. Plus it it so creamy and tasty. I use it in curries, protein shakes, ice cream and coffee.

WildflowerMama 02-03-2011 05:24 PM

Are there any kinds that don't have sodium metabisulfite in it? Mine all have it and they say it's at .003% Is this a concern?

graciejean 02-04-2011 11:45 AM

I use it in my coffee also,oh so goooood

CARLINI 02-04-2011 03:19 PM

I didn't like it in my coffee but I could just drink the stuff straight. Love it. :heart:

marianne78 02-06-2011 03:46 AM

At home, we use coconut milk for cooking vegetables and curries, and sometimes for homemade jellies. It's very tasty.

Strawberry 02-12-2011 09:10 PM

two products:

The canned coconut milk is thick and can be used as you would cream. This stuff is great for making curries or soups or even in smoothies.

There is also a coconut "milk beverage" that is now being sold. Its essentially like milk, but has a mild coconut taste to it. You can use it as you would milk. Its good, but I prefer almond milk.

PS:
Little known fact: the "lite" coconut milk (in the can) is just regular canned coconut milk with more water added. Buy the regular and add water to make your own "lite" if you want!

Cats for Texas 03-05-2011 05:13 PM

Love, love coconut milk and NSA coconut cream. I use them for soups and sauces for fish, chicken, vegetables. Look for Thai and Indian recipes: they often use coconut milk. On canned milk, you will often get an inch or so of "cream" on top, so don't shake the can if you want that. You can use the less creamy milk separately.

b_lou_who 03-07-2011 12:13 PM

I love the unsweetened refrigerated coconut milk with a few drops of stevia added. Sometimes I heat it with a teaspoon of coconut oil and drink. YUM.
Lactose and I are not friends. It wants to like my fat cells too much.

pegbord 03-16-2011 09:21 PM

asian markets very often sell the young thai coconuts. They are delicious!! You break it open, drink the water and scoop out the meat ---- i just eat it raw and without adding anything --- ohhhhh so good!!

LunaAshling 03-21-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 14344145)
Are there any kinds that don't have sodium metabisulfite in it? Mine all have it and they say it's at .003% Is this a concern?

I buy the "Thai Kitchen" brand canned Coconut Milk (full fat not lite... in red can). It says first pressing, coconut milk/water/guar gum.

I use that brand as it was reccomended in the "Nourishing Traditions" book as not having all the added junk to it. ;)

katie in progress 03-27-2011 02:45 PM

Coconut milk heated in the microwave, add a little splenda, a pat of butter, and a bit of rum. Just what I needed after working outside today - it's raw here - and I wouldn't have even though about coconut milk as a low carb option if I hadn't read it on this forum!

brittone2 03-30-2011 01:46 PM

I like Native Forest when I can find it as their cans are BPA free the last time I looked into it :) :cool:

ontopofmygame 04-24-2011 03:35 PM

Are coconuts now on the radiation list of nuclear fallout? I hope you stock up on the cans that have been on the shelf prior to March 11th. In the Binkin Atol, they were rated pretty high as absorbing nuclear fallout... sorry for the news.

porcupine73 09-30-2011 11:18 AM

Have you tried making your own coconut milk? Supposedly taking unsweetened dried coconut flake such as Bob's Red Mill and mixing it with some coconut oil and blending the heck out of it will make a coconut milk.

iamfaithful 09-30-2011 12:00 PM

Porcupine, I probaably gave it to you wrong- it makes Coconut Butter. The coconut milk is made by adding raw frozen coconut to hot water & expressing the milk; I think I will use my Omega (screw type) juicer to press out all the milk. But Ahiua was right, buying it is less costly. I am going to find that site & get the directions! Will post as soon as I find it.

Thank you for reviving a thread... I will have to look through it & see what is there. I am so inlove with coconut right now - just like KT & Kefir when I was craving it!

Will look for post this afternoon. I bought raw frozen coconut & coconut milk. Now I know how it should taste. I have the CM kefiring right now... 2 big grains in a pint. :) Will send you some next week when I get to AM again with more time. Huggs!

iamfaithful 09-30-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperette (Post 14260463)
Love it!:heart::heart::heart: Use it all the time. Have a gallon of coconut flakes due just for the purpose of making my own.:kicking:

Pepperette, wondered where you were hanging out! I know your post was from Jan. But do you have the recipe for the coconut milk? BTW- do you still Kombucha?

porcupine73 09-30-2011 12:25 PM

I misunderstood! I'm not very fluent in coconut. Coconut butter...that does sound interesting. I've seen coconut ghee for sale.

porcupine73 09-30-2011 06:32 PM

Ah here's the thread where people talk about making coconut butter: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tter-home.html

iamfaithful 10-01-2011 01:30 PM

Experiment 1 Coconut milk

I had a partial bag,3 cups, sweetened coconut.

Added them to blender & put in warm water to the 1quart line. Processes on liquify for 5 minutes then let soak for 20 mins.

Processed again for 10 minutes then put it through my Omega Juicer (screw type). Strained the milk through a fine strainer to remove more meat.

The caastings were DRY & I mixed the hand squeezed with them.. They were flavorless! But not to waste, I put them in the toaster to dry them & forgot to turn the temp down! Found out my smoke detector should be in the kitchen not the hallway!

Anyway, I got a quart of very delicious milk. Although I will try it with raw frozen coconut next, this was a winner-just don't like added sugar. (Recipe for the raw frozen says to add agave or truvia or honey.)

I let it set for a few hours & it had separated-cream on top, thinner sweet milk on bottom. I tasted it through a straw & had to force myself to QUIT TASTING!

The frozen coconut milk was thick like the top milk & did not separate. I like what I made better...both just as sweet.

I will leave this in fridge overnight & it is my guess the top will harden & can be lifted off-like butter or cream. I will let you know.

COCONUT ROCKS!

iamfaithful 10-07-2011 12:50 PM

My Coconut Milk/Butter/Cream Experiment

:stars: is what my head was like after 3 days of experimenting!

Here goes.. First I tried the raw coconut milk from the Phillippines. It comes frozen and I get it at the Asian Market. It did NOT whip but was really useful for cooking. Had a "different" taste ~ not like fresh coconut.

I had some sweet coconut from the grocery... the kind we put on cakes etc.
I put what I had (about 2 1/2 cups) in a blender and added warm water to make a quart. Then I let it soak about 30 minutes. I put it on liquify & ran for 20 minutes (I have an old Oster). Since I didn't want to put it in a yogurt or nut milk bag and squeeze all day, I put in my Omega screw type juicer & processed twice! Strained the milk through a cloth & squeezed all the remaining milk from the bits. I let it set in the refrigerator for several hours and it separated, overnight and there were three layers ~ cream, thick milk, & thin milk. Each layer had its own textures. I never got around to whipping the cream, it was too good. I drank the thin milk with a straw leaving the thick milk for coffee. It was sweet and OH so Good!

Next I had some raw frozen shredded coconut from the Philippines. I did the same process as above. The cream on the top was thicker and fairly solid. It was delicious but lacked some of the sweet fresh coconut taste that I like from coconut when I open it from the shell. I dont think I will try this one again.

I have some Bob's Red Mill Coconut flakes that a friend "gifted" to me so I will try that. I think a good ratio for milk would be one cup of coconut for a total quart to blend. I will let you know when I get this tried. I have a lot of coconut to drink first as I dont think the refrigerator life is very long.

When I find some muscles I will get some fresh whole coconuts & let you know how it works out.

The fresh milk seems like it is souring faster than the one that I made from sweet coconut. Can't wait to try the Bob's ! Will let you know!

iamfaithful 10-09-2011 06:56 AM

shelf life

I came back today to find my milk & cream had started to turn - I should have kefired it before I left.

Anyway, I will plan to consume any coconut milk/cream I make within 2 days or kefir it.