Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyWanders
Stats: 467/300/200 5'10"
WOE: generic low carb
Start Date: March 2010
Kefir

Does anyone indulge in kefir? Before I went low carb, I would buy kefir with fruit and sugar. Yesterday I spent a loooooong time in the grocery store, reading labels on EVERYTHING.

I was super excited when I found that plain kefir had a net carb count of 9 per cup! If it's true that cultured dairy products have an even lower carb content than listed because the good bacteria eat up the carbs, then this is a great find

I bought Lifeway Organic Lowfat Kefir Cultured Milk Probiotic with 10 active cultures. I feel soooooo much better when I regularly eat yogurt, buttermilk and kefir.
WendyWanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
That's terrific! I do think that theory about the milk sugar being eaten up was discredited though. It turned out the guy was only testing for lactose, and the bacteria was converting the sugar to a slightly different form, but still the same carbs. Too bad.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rightnow
Stats: 482/368/350
WOE: PāNu
Have you guys ever tried making yogurt entirely with heavy cream? Is there any reason not to?
rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Love kefir. I just started making my own back in February.
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
We make our own kefir, no ingredient *list*, just cultured milk. I've never had commercial kefir products.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
I like water kefir a bunch (make it now), but never figured out how to get homemade milk kefir beyond the super sour kinda yeasty flavor (only tolerable in a smoothie), so I gave up on it. The commercial ones can be really good, I think.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
i love kefir!!!! i just add a little davincis to the plain never had water kefir though
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyvey View Post
I like water kefir a bunch (make it now), but never figured out how to get homemade milk kefir beyond the super sour kinda yeasty flavor (only tolerable in a smoothie), so I gave up on it. The commercial ones can be really good, I think.
How long are you letting it go for? It is generally supposed to go for 24 hours, if it is getting too strong before that, then it either needs more milk, or reduce the amount of the kefir grains by a small bit. (It is the ratio of grains to milk that determines how fast it cultures and the faster it goes the narrower the "good" window is.)
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Quote:
Have you guys ever tried making yogurt entirely with heavy cream? Is there any reason not to?
I would like to but heavy cream without all the additives isn't available here. I've luckily found half and half and that makes a sinful yogurt/kefir.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nutzoaboutfood
Stats: 235/166/135 (5'10")...26/12/8
WOE: Organic-Avoiding GMOs like the plague
Start Date: HW-1992 No diet, just gradual lifestyle changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow View Post
I haven't tried, however, I have attempted to add some cream to my whole milk when making it, and it results in this nasty, chaulky film/layer across the top of the yogurt, that I have to scrape off. I am assuming that it is the cream that somehow seperated. Also, I tried making my yogurt with non-homogenized whole milk, and it did the same thing, only to a lesser degree. And I even tried putting the non-homogenized milk in the vitamix first to blend up all the cream (which did work), however, the cream still rose to the top of the yogurt somehow. I'm thinking that the homogenation process somehow suspends the cream into the milk and locks it there to make a more creamy, smooth, and even yogurt.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Bumping an old thread, but I was thinking about buying some kefir grains. How do you store them if you're not using them? Any recipes? I'm very interested in the pro-biotic action!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
kefir storage

Kefir grsins (not really grains like a Scoby is not a mushroom) are stored in the fridge in the same medium they are cultured. IE: milk kefir in milk & water kefir in sugar water. Hope this helps!

I am new here & really don't know what I am doing-only havemy intelligent (not SMART) phone... But in it's day it was SMART...
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Kefir grsins (not really grains like a Scoby is not a mushroom) are stored in the fridge in the same medium they are cultured. IE: milk kefir in milk & water kefir in sugar water. Hope this helps!

I am new here & really don't know what I am doing-only havemy intelligent (not SMART) phone... But in it's day it was SMART...
ty and lol I know what you mean. My phone may not be smart, but it gets the job done!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelhiBelli View Post
I would like to but heavy cream without all the additives isn't available here. I've luckily found half and half and that makes a sinful yogurt/kefir.
When I want to splurge on the fat content I will try that! Maybe I will have to drive to town & get some to kefir it tonight!

Got a gallon of FF yogurt going right now-yummm.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nowpresence
switching from water to milk kefir

I have water kefir... I think I left it too long and it got vinegary and yeasty tasting. I put it in the frig for a couple of weeks hoping that might help.
Does anyone know how to "refresh" your kefir if it has gotten vinegary and yeasty?
Also, can I switch the grains to almond milk? Would that be okay?
Thank you!
Joli
nowpresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

To refresk WK grains try draining themcompletely & put them in some sugar water with a pinch of pure sea salt, baking soda maybe a piece of an egg shell (membrane removed) let sit in refer a week then repeat - then try making a quart with just sugar water a pinch of baking soda & a pinch of salt. Hope this helps!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowpresence View Post
I have water kefir... I think I left it too long and it got vinegary and yeasty tasting. I put it in the frig for a couple of weeks hoping that might help.
Does anyone know how to "refresh" your kefir if it has gotten vinegary and yeasty?
Also, can I switch the grains to almond milk? Would that be okay?
Thank you!
Joli
forgot to answer this part...
WK & MK are totally different... They can not be switched... However I have been told you can make MK from WK by adding 1/4 cup +: (not grains) to milk and let set 24 hours + or -. Have tried this 1 time & it was OK... Try some with your other milk when you get your WK grains going again.

ps did you get your WK to fizz? Mine aren't old enough yet I am told...
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Kefir

My kefir didn't fizz. I had it about four months... but I would use ginger and sometimes some of the ginger would end up in the kefir... not just ginger juice...and I thought you could keep it 48 hours...however, I ended up not using it for about 72 hours. Anyway, I'll give your advice a try. I didn't realize that the fizz works for more mature grains... I never knew why it didn't work! Thank you :-D
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

@ nowpresence- that is what CFH told me. PS never put fruit or flavorings in with your grains it makes them sick. Let me know how they come out. Have been told they ar tough little fellers ...
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Not even drips of ginger juice? Awww. ok. Do you put in 2 tbps of raw sugar?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

1/4 cup sugar per quart with at least 2TB of WK grains. Cover & let ist up to 36 hours.. Longer less sweet... Then you can do a 2nd ferment with juice or flavors for a day or 2 but first you take out grains & put in sugar water in fridge or make another batch. Hope this answers your ????

Last edited by iamfaithful; 06-30-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!

Awesome :-D
Joli
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Can I make kefir with just heavy cream
And my grains?
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/274/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
I have been making my own kefir for a few weeks now....first in raw milk (prior to restarting my LC woe AGAIN)....than I used organic coconut milk....and this week, I have used heavy cream. The heavy cream kefir is thick...so I will use it in place of sour cream or yogurt in my smoothies and recipes. A great way to get those probiotics into you!
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I make MK for my husband, (I don't tolerate dairy well), kombucha for me and will soon be trying WK. I also do pickles and sauerkraut. Just trying to keep up with my husband who makes his living in fermenting grapes (he's a wine maker).

I take advantage of his lab and after my kombucha has gone through a lengthy secondary fermentation, all but 0.05% of the sugar is GONE. he tests for glucose and fructose.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
My naturopath has me making kefir out of coconut milk/cream and it is delicious. After it cultures, I put it in the fridge and it thickens up just like yogurt. HFLC and dairy free. Yum.
DlaneyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote