Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Organic and Natural Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/)
-   -   Is heavy cream with carrageenan safe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/organic-natural-eating/659887-heavy-cream-carrageenan-safe.html)

Doxiemom 02-03-2010 03:36 PM

Is heavy cream with carrageenan safe?

I buy my heavy cream from Trader Joe's and thought it was safe to use. What are your thoughts on carrageenan?

Darkginger 02-12-2010 11:50 AM

It's a natural product, comes from the seaweed carragheen (chrondrus crispus), which has gelling agents. I'm happy to eat it, and indeed make puddings with carragheen, which grows on the beach near here :)

BikerAng 02-12-2010 12:42 PM

I'm fine with carragheen too, but not with ultra pasteurization (usually the organic valley HWC at TJ's with carragheen is ultra pasteurized :().

Ultra-Pasteurized Milk

DelhiBelli 02-14-2010 09:40 PM

Carrageenan is high in polysaccharides which are problematic for people that have problems with digestion.

Two researchers, Watson and Marcus, upon investigating a pharmaceutical made out of hydrolyzed carrageenan, found that the tiniest miniscule of it in the drinking water of numerous laboratory animals caused ulcerative colitis.

MagicalHome 02-15-2010 11:10 PM

It tastes good, and its a natural product. So i guess its perfect

DelhiBelli 02-16-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

It tastes good, and its a natural product. So i guess its perfect
So is sugar but it's still destroying my health! How I wish that were not the case.

Linny 03-20-2013 09:36 AM

Great article. Lately there has been a lot of concern with carrageenan added to cream. Even Organic Valley (in the small containers) contains it. Growing up I never had an issue with milk or other milk products, like ice cream but now that this has been added to those products, I do have issues with it.

I have been all over the area here in search of carrageenan-free cream and finally found a brand from the Buffalo, NY area called Upstate Farms.

PaminKY 03-21-2013 09:47 AM

I've been reading more and more negative things about it and I just recently finished reading the book Excitotoxins The Taste that Kills by Dr. Russell Blaylock and in the back of the book where there is a list of possible sources of MSG under the section titles "Additives that may contain MSG or excitotoxins" there is Carrageenan, Enzymes, Soy Protein Concentrate, Soy Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate.

sungoddess 03-21-2013 11:07 AM

It can cause issues for those with digestive disorders for people like me.
Trader Joe's does have a whipping cream without it. The bottle with the pink cover has it, but the carton of Organic Heavy Whipping Cream has just organic grade A pasteurized heavy cream. So unless they are not fulfilling labeling laws, I would trust that it has no carrageenan. Even within the same brand, some cream has it and some doesn't.
I have this list:

Cream without Carrageenan

Butterworks Farm
Cedar Summit Farm
Clover Stornetta
Kalona Supernatural
Natural By Nature (heavy cream)
Organic Valley (Pasteurized)- note different than the ultra pasteurized)
Strauss Family Creamery
Trickling Springs Cream

Linny 03-21-2013 03:18 PM

Here is another good article regarding carrageenan ~ I think I will just try my absolute best to stay far away from it: Blog | The Charis Holistic Center: READ YOUR LABELS: Carrageenan: A very common, but Dangerous Additive

DiamondDeb 03-21-2013 06:57 PM

I was not familiar with carrageenan. Thanks for the link, Linny.

I don't eat much processed food or dairy so I probably don't get much. I'll watch for it but, from what the blog said, it is not always listed.

sykospark 04-14-2013 09:10 PM

It's getting really difficult to find cream without carrageenan :( I'm almost considering ordering raw cream from my local CSA provider.

Doxiemom 04-15-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sykospark (Post 16373372)
It's getting really difficult to find cream without carrageenan :( I'm almost considering ordering raw cream from my local CSA provider.

Trader Joes has some without it.

Jessica1129 04-18-2013 02:04 AM

Trader Joes near me only has heavy cream with the carrageenan in it. the only place i can find any without it is Whole Foods.

bmay 05-10-2013 10:31 PM

My Trader Joe's only has heavy cream with carrageenan as well. I've been searching for one without and finally found the Organic Valley one at a health food store for $4.59 a pint!! YIKES! Then 2 days later at the regular grocery store I found Dean's brand (not the ultra-pasturized one) that doesn't have carrageenan. And at $1.39 a pint. FINALLY!!!

http://media.shopwell.com/gladson/00...20415_full.jpg

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp
Servings Per Container 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories 50 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g 8%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g 17%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20 mg 7%
Sodium 5 mg 1%
Potassium 15 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
Copper —
Folic Acid —
Iodine —
Magnesium —
Niacin —
Phosphorus —
Riboflavin —
Thiamin —
Vitamin B12 —
Vitamin B6 —
Vitamin D —
Vitamin E —
Zinc —
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.