Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmaegbert
Stats: 203/169/165
WOE: whole food, ovo-lacto vegetarian, low carb
Start Date: January 2010
other vegetarians who are low carb and eat natural foods?

Hi I'm new here (though I've poked around this site before). Are there other vegetarians? We are ovo-lacto and eat whole/natural foods based diet. I am also trying to eat as low carb as I can manage (no grains, no sweets, very, very limited fruits, legumes in moderation).

Ugh! Its hard sometimes to figure out what to eat. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, veggies, nuts and seeds galore, a little tiny bit of fruit, nut milk (homemade), hummos, peanut butter, trying to bake with coconut flour, using liquid stevia and tiny amounts of agave as a sweetener. Trying not to let it get monotonous.

I am nursing my 8mo baby and have a 5yo son, so I really want to stay away from artificial sweeteners (which I don't like anyway) to be on the safe side. We do eat some processed soy (like, fake meatballs and such) but I am trying to keep highly processed foods out of our diet.

Is there somewhere else on here that people like me hang out? Or any of you out there?
emmaegbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I'm not vegetarian, but I eat that way more often than not. I would advise staying away from the processed soy. There's much more bad than good about it. How about nut based fake meatballs, maybe with some legumes added - especially the sprouted kind? Soy scares me.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

well, soy doesn't scare me, I think the anti-soy stuff has been greatly exaggerated. At least not in its traditional preparations (tofu, tempeh, miso) but I am trying to find ways to phase the small amounts of processed soy mostly out of our diet. We don't drink soy milk, eat any other processed soy stuff, or eat the "fake meat" stuff very often (maybe 2x per week tops). I have to look for a nut-based meatball recipe, that would be SO DELISH!! I was making these amazing nutburgers, unfortunately based on brown rice, so out for me again. I am thinking of trying to reformulate using some quinoa and/or lentils (maybe try sprouting them?) instead, and maybe upping the grated veggies and adding some coconut flour to bind it.

Heading out for a kids birthday party. I decided to try eating before I go and I'll bring something for a little snack to help me resist all the the yummies. Hopefully there will be veggies sticks or SOMETHING there I can eat.

thanks for the reply!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1
Stats: 256/244/140
Hiya, I'm veggie too, but pretty new to LC. I probably eat more processed stuff than you tho, soya and quorn based stuff 3 or 4 times a week. I try to avoid most sweeteners, we can't get stevia in ireland, so i use a bit of Splenda, which I believe isn't too bad.

I have one of those sprung hamburger presses for making nut burgers,.Because they apply alot of even pressure you can make burgers that would fall apart otherwise. I tend to use the same as for a nut roast: ground nuts, onions, chopped mushrooms, thyme and egg.
tina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lurchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina1 View Post
I tend to use the same as for a nut roast: ground nuts, onions, chopped mushrooms, thyme and egg.
Do you have a more specific recipe? Sounds yummy!
Lurchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

yes yum, that sounds great- nut roast w/ onions and mushrooms... do share!

I made burgers tonight with the following: ground together 1 c seeds (sunflower and pumpkin mixed) w/ 3/4 c walnuts, mixed w/ 1 c cooked quinoa, 1 grated carrot, 2 tbl salsa, minced garlic, some spices. Fried on rather low heat in olive oil. Made 4. They were pretty good but kind of dry compared to when I made the same with rice. I think I have to fool around with them more. The boys liked them though (son and husband). Baby not so much, but, she's a baby and only eats little bites of things anyway. I ate mine with sharp cheddar cheese, mashed avocado, and salsa, just piled on top. The boys had them on sprouted wheat bread (they are not eating low carb)

You can't get stevia in Ireland? Thats funny. If you can get the dried leaf (like, in a natural food store or place that sells herbs) you can make your own. I've never done that but this woman explains how in her blog (you have to read down a ways to get to it) Stevia: Traditional Medicinal or Modern Pseudo-Food?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1
Stats: 256/244/140
like most of my recipes it changes everytime depending on what I've got in, but is usually something like this:

Fry an onion and 2 cloves or garlic in butter. Add 8 oz finely chopped mushrooms, a grated courgette and a grated carrot and fry til soft, then put veg into a mixing bowl.

Use about a pound of nuts, I like peanuts, hazlenuts or cashews, dry fry for a few minutes to toast then whizz them in food processor to finely chop. (I used to put them in a folded tea-towel and bash them with a rolling pin, great fun). Add to bowl.

Add 2 or 3 eggs to the bowl, you want the mixture to stick together well but not be too soggy. Season very well, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Sometimes i add a veggie stock cube and some marmite or soya sauce. Mix well. I might add a handful of parmesan or strong cheddar as well.

Transfer to a greased/lined loaf tin and bake for about 50 mnutes until firm.
tina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lurchy
Thanks! I appreciate your recipe. I'll be giving this a try!
Lurchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Hi Tina, Your recipe looks really delicious!! I want to try making it!!

May I ask, how many servings (roughly) does your recipe yield? or how many people does it feed?

I'm going to probably cut it back a bit, because I will be making it for only myself.

I had seen this recipe on Food Network by Guy Fieri for veggie burgers, but they seemed a little bit high carb for me..... its mostly beans and good carbs aside from 2 tbsp of bread crumbs..... but I couldn't quite figure out how to adjust it to make it lower carb
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Last edited by Strawberry; 01-10-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

oh, this sounds yummy! I am going to try something inspired by this soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I know what you mean. When I started low carb, I was eating lots of eggs, dairy, and meats to keep carbs so low. What I discovered was that those foods simply "stop me up!" To the point of discomfort, as a matter of fact. I knew I was in trouble.

I had been vegetarian for several years, and it was the healthiest I had ever been. And I was not stopped up! I wondered if/how I could be low carb vegetarian.

It's really tough. I have been playing with my food a lot trying to find foods and combos that are low carb, work for me, and that I can stick with long term. What I am finding as I experiment is that I have to eat salad every day with bread for dinner and stir-fry veggies several times a week for supper. Occasionally, I can have an omelet with salsa and sour cream. A couple times a week I have some meat I have made for the family with a big serving of green beans. I tweaked Jennifer Eloff's Good Bread recipe a little to cope with the vital wheat gluten taste/texture to make a very good bun which I have almost daily with flavored cream cheese. That is my little daily treat.

All in all, I would say that I am at a moderate carb intake which is waaaaayyyy less than I had been doing before trying low carb.

I have found few resources on the web for lc vegetarian. I would say take your favorite vegetarian recipes and low carb them.For instance, I don't use soy milk anymore; I use almond or coconut milk. Coconut milk is good in coffee, and I make a really great pudding with it! I was making a cereal with ground flax seed, no sugar apple butter, and almond milk.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straightscoop
Stats: 135/115/105 5'4"
WOE: Protein Power/Mostly Vegetarian/Volumetrics
VLC is hard as a vegetarian (maybe impossible) but a low-carb plan like Protein Power is do-able. I eat wild-caught salmon but don't eat meat or poultry. I eat a lot of eggs and Greek yogurt for protein, but I also eat processed meatless products for variety. I don't believe all processed foods are necessarily horrible--you have to do the best you can sometimes. Unbreaded Quorn and the Morningstar meatless strips are good, Boca burgers, and soyrizo (like chorizo sausage) and some of the Gardein products are pretty low-carb too.

Shirataki noodles are a big staple for me too, zero carbs and zero calories..and filling! Low-carb breads and tortillas are also very high in protein and convenient.

I also do a lot of baking as well, this site has some really great recipes and many of the entrees can be made vegetarian by substituting soy or Quorn crumbles or the like.
straightscoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: toomuchbooty
I'm doing a 21 day Vegan Wellness challenge...if I like how I feel at the end of it...I might stick with it. I'm not doing strict low-carb though. I can't have refined sugars, wheat, meat, coffee or alcohol.

I'm trying not to overload on soy, in fact I haven't had any since I started.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

good point on thinking of being a vegetarian "moderately" low-carber.

I've been doing pretty well eating lots of veggies, lots of nuts, lots of eggs and cheese, very small amounts of fruit, some legumes, and a couple servings of soy a week. Its been helping to just make a rough plan for dinners each week.

Coconut flour baking is saving me too. I want to try almond flour too... have been reading Elanas Pantry, she does low-carb, whole foods based baking.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ltown
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
I'm doing a 21 day Vegan Wellness challenge...if I like how I feel at the end of it...I might stick with it. I'm not doing strict low-carb though. I can't have refined sugars, wheat, meat, coffee or alcohol.

I'm trying not to overload on soy, in fact I haven't had any since I started.
Is the 21 day vegan wellness your own special challenge, can you share?
ltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltown View Post
Is the 21 day vegan wellness your own special challenge, can you share?
I got it from a book called The Quantum Wellness Cleanse. I was inspired by a couple of dear friends who converted to veganism and just look and feel fabulous!

I'm following the cleanse guidelines plus keeping my soy and gluten intakes low. I'm on day 7 and I feel really great.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
I got it from a book called The Quantum Wellness Cleanse. I was inspired by a couple of dear friends who converted to veganism and just look and feel fabulous!

I'm following the cleanse guidelines plus keeping my soy and gluten intakes low. I'm on day 7 and I feel really great.
Wow, I just looked this up and it seems pretty cool. I'm not crazy about consuming animal products (but I do it to make this WOE easier), sugar, caffeine or gluten (but I DO love Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka!). Please keep us posted on how this works out! I can imagine the positive effects.
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #18

The hardest part of this whole thing is getting over my fear of carbs...much like when I started low carbing and had to get over my fear of fat.

My menu lately has been something like this:

Breakfast:
Shot of greens + mixed in a small amount of juice to kill the swampy taste.

Almond milk smoothie with banana, almond butter and dates

Lunch:

Veggie chili and corn chips

Dinner:

Rice pasta with veggies in a "creamy" tomato sauce...I make the sauce with pureed cashews.

Snacks are fruit or vegetables or chips and guacamole. A little bit of cocoa is allowed on the diet, so I've made some raw cocoa/ date snack bars.

Overall, I'm feeling really satisfied!

Back from Zambia! Pictures on my blog.