Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Broth Making ?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have some beef bones with marrow, and just got some feet. Do I really need the meaty neck bones as in Nourishing Traditions, or can I make do with what I have? I don't need tons of broth to freeze, just want some for the days I'd like to have soup, or when I slow cook a roast (instead of using salty broth mix).[/COLOR]
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have some beef bones with marrow, and just got some feet. Do I really need the meaty neck bones as in Nourishing Traditions, or can I make do with what I have? I don't need tons of broth to freeze, just want some for the days I'd like to have soup, or when I slow cook a roast (instead of using salty broth mix).[/COLOR]
Broth is made with the meat, stock is made with the bones. Make sure you add vinegar to the bones to leach out minerals into your stock pot. I think it's best to do the 2 separate. I let my bones simmer for days, but you don't want the meat to go that long. Either add meat in the last couple of hours or do it separate. You could probably use stock in place of broth, it lacks the full flavor but it has all the minerals and the gelatin which is so important to transport vitamins to cells. Freeze your bones and add to next batch, you can use bones several times in stock making. (No, don't need meaty neck bones lol)

I like making huge batches & freezing. Good idea I've read is to freeze in ice cube trays and pop in plastic bag for freezer storage. Then you have a lil ready anytime you need it. In a perfect world I would have stock broth soup, then raw veg salad at least once every day.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-07-2009 at 04:54 PM..
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
any assortment of bones will make a nice stock.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i cook the bones for no less than 24 hrs and yes, a splash of vinegar.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CramerNH
During the course of the week of meal preparing - I save the scraps of onion, pepper, celery, garlic ends, carrot tops... I get my favorite roasting pan out... put all of the bones, the veggie scraps.. spray a light coating of olive oil, sprinkle on some fresh garlic and get them nice and roasted.

I take it out, and while the pan is hot, I pour in water - makes a nice sizzle! LOL That helps rehydrate some of the bits in the pan..

Get my trusty stock pot - load it up, fresh water, and I do a slow boil all day - by 5pm that same day, Im skimming, taking out the scraps/bones, and making a nice stock to use for soups, stews, and even sometimes the occasional cup of broth to warm up in the morning with.
CramerNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Wow! I had been making my stock with a 10-hour simmer. I had no idea I was such a lightweight!

I didn't know that about adding vinegar to get minerals out of the bones. Does that go for chicken bones as well as beef?
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, all bones. You can put your bones and water in a stock pot with the vinegar and let it sit in the fridge overnight (before cooking) to leach out more minerals.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Yes, all bones. You can put your bones and water in a stock pot with the vinegar and let it sit in the fridge overnight (before cooking) to leach out more minerals.
What a great idea, thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
yeah, what she said, lol There is something about the cold that does it even more than the heat, I don't understand, but that's what I've read. I'm thinking the heat fairly quickly kills the enzymes and deactivates the vinegar (end product doesn't taste vinegary) and letting it sit overnight in the fridge allows the vinegar to do it's thing in full force. Remember to stick your bones in the freezer and add it to the next stock pot also. I keep doing it till I have too many for the pot.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-14-2009 at 12:42 AM..
Old 06-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Calcios

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
adding vinegar to get minerals out of the bones. Does that go for chicken bones as well as beef?
Especially chicken bones (would be really great if they were organic) Once upon a time there was a dietary supplement recommended by Edgar Cayce called Calcios made from crushed chicken bones. It's no longer available in the same form. But I've tried to replicate it by snapping chicken bones and cooking them with vinegar til they just about melted and taking out the chunks and liquefying the rest in the blender. It kind of makes a sludge (make sure you get your fingers in the final product to make sure there's no dangerous slivers to catch in anyone's throat) but it could be a basis for a heavier cream soup, maybe cheese & broccoli. I don't have a lot of strength for cooking any more.

Calcios was the calcium supplement of choice in about 200 readings. In the 1930's and 40's, it was made from pulverized chicken bones, processed so that the calcium it contained could be easily assimilated and digested. Today, regulations require that Calcios be made directly from bone meal. Half a teaspoonful of this spreadable, pleasantly flavored paste supplies 328 mg of pre-digested calcium along with other trace minerals, including iodine.

And chicken feet are supposed to make the best stock full of gelatin! (Cayce was very adamant about the necessity of gelatin in the diet, not commercial gelatin made from hides but gelatin made from bones, with vinegar, long cooked)

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-14-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
... Once upon a time there was a dietary supplement recommended by Edgar Cayce called Calcios made from crushed chicken bones. It's no longer available in the same form.....
Wow! I never ever heard of this stuff. Thanks for the story.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Hello!

Do you know if I can make broth in a crock pot? I really have issues with leaving a pot on the stove for more than 24 hours, my cats would no doubt go swimming.
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I have with bones from a baked chicken (to make soup). I haven't tried it with raw chicken because I like to scrape off the scum that rises and you can't really do that with a crock pot. You could maybe start it off on the stove then finish it in a crock (that woud be a lot of work though). The scum will rise as you heat it up quickly to a simmer (don't boil or the scum will mix in with the broth).
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I guess i will just chance it! I bought the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook and I'm eager!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I love that book!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
Hello!

Do you know if I can make broth in a crock pot? I really have issues with leaving a pot on the stove for more than 24 hours, my cats would no doubt go swimming.
Your stove and oven, which are a major appliance installed in your house in a super sturdy way is actually much safer than a crockpot, which is a much less resiliant little appliance that's plugged to your electrical supply through a skinny little cord. The crockpot is made to certain safety standards, of course, but it's far more flimsy than the stove and oven. So if one of these should by some chance present a hazard, it would be the crockpot and not the stove.

It me a while to get my head around that, too, but my husband, whose father was fire chief for decades until his retirement and was constantly engaged in professional enrichment to stay abreast of the latest fire safety science and technology, finally convinced me.

2009 JUDDDD SUCCESS STORY
6/8-149; 6/11-147; 6/18-145; 6/20-144; 6/23-145; 6/25-146; 6/27-145; 6/29-146; 7/2-144; 7/4-143; 7/7-142; 7/9-141; 7/11-140; 7/14-141; 7/30-139; 8/1-138
VFT August 1 after 8 weeks of alternate-day dieting!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
Your stove and oven, which are a major appliance installed in your house in a super sturdy way is actually much safer than a crockpot, which is a much less resiliant little appliance that's plugged to your electrical supply through a skinny little cord. The crockpot is made to certain safety standards, of course, but it's far more flimsy than the stove and oven. So if one of these should by some chance present a hazard, it would be the crockpot and not the stove.

It me a while to get my head around that, too, but my husband, whose father was fire chief for decades until his retirement and was constantly engaged in professional enrichment to stay abreast of the latest fire safety science and technology, finally convinced me.
It's not the fire hazard that I'm worried about, it's my two very curious kitties that love to jump up on the counter when we aren't looking and search for goodies. I don't want them hurt.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I am thinking of trying it with a crock pot as well. My stove doesn't work, so it's either a crock pot, or a hot plate with a large stock pot. I can't see why it wouldn't work with a crock pot, provided you can get the temperature to regulate the way you want.

I'm going to try it with the added vinegar and refrigerating it overnight first. I'll have to see what bones I can get together. I realize this is an old thread, but it has good info about the bone broth so why not bring it back up. Plus the Calcios info is very interesting Cindy.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
I just made a stock with a collection of frozen chicken backs and wing tips that I had trimmed off of other stuff, as well as some celery I chucked in the freezer when it was to that point of being not inedible, but not something I really want to eat raw. I threw in an onion, I like onion.

I think that the best way to make stock and broth is whatever way gets you to make it the most frequently--so if that's the crockpot on the warm setting (low boils it too much), or brought to a simmer on the stove and then chucked in a 190-200 degree oven for a day or so (my preferred method), then I say: do it!

Also, to the original question--there is no 'have to' for stock/broth requirements. Meaty neckbones will give you more flavor and additional marrow/collagen, but really? Did our great grandmothers wait for some magical combination of stuff to simmer? Nah, they just cooked what they had so they could stretch it. I do the same.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds like good advice. How about bacon? It seems like dropping a few slices of bacon into the pot would really zazz it up!?

I've got my first batch started. I filled a large stainless stock pot with a couple gallons of water, added two good size beef soup bones, and added some random seasonings such as basil, oregano, thyme, black peppercorns (well lots of those because I love them), and a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. It's simmering away now. It smells really good.

Then I decided to drop in a chicken thigh for more bone and flavor. I think this is going to be 'stocky' since the soup bones had some meat on them too. I think I'll filter that out when I put it into the jars and just eat the meaty parts as a meal. I picked up a case of widemouth quart jars to put the final product into.

I have some cilantro too, should I add that in? I'm having a pork chop for dinner and I think I'll drop the bone in for good measure.

Last edited by porcupine73; 03-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: bacon
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
That sounds like good advice. How about bacon? It seems like dropping a few slices of bacon into the pot would really zazz it up!?
I have made bacon dashi, and I have loved it:

Bacon Dashi | Cooking Momofuku at home - Momofuku for two
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the bacon dashi link! That is a bigggg pack of bacon!

How long is the broth good for if kept in the refrigerator?

I made wayyyyyy too much. I think I ended up with over 5 gallons of it. For some reason after I drank a lot of it that first night I didn't feel well, and wasn't able to quite get myself to drink any more. So it's been in the jars in the fridge for over a week now. I think I will try again, but with a smaller batch and getting the meat off the bones first.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshine272
Stats: 212/187/145
WOE: Low carb/Whole Foods/No grains
Start Date: 6/29/2009
I make chicken stock in my crock pot all the time... I found an organic farmer, so I don't let any bones go to waste since reading Nourishing Traditions. I put the bones, organic celery, carrots whatever you like in the crock pot and cover with water, add organic raw apple cider vinegar and cook on low for 24 hours. The only concern I've had is if there is lead paint leeching in my chicken stock, but I guess that is a whole different question.
sunshine272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds good. I ordered Nourishing Traditions but it hasn't arrived yet.

What is the deal with the lead? I think I saw that some ceramics and crock pot coatings are lead based? Just wondering. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

My crock pot is a newer model and I'm afraid when I research it it will be made in china and have lead in the paint. I don't know much about it, I keep intending to research it. But, for now I'm going to try not to sweat the small stuff at least I am making my own organic chicken stock

I loved Nourishing Traditions!!! But it took me a couple times to read it all through...Some of the stuff about organ meats and raw meats were a little overwhelming to me!

Last edited by sunshine272; 03-16-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Ah lead in the paint from China, say it isn't so!!! I'll have to check my crock pots. I just got them at Walmart. I'm going to have to look at them to see if I can figure anything out....

The organ meat info is interesting. My sister found a cookbook from the 1940's I think it was at my parent's house. It was very interesting. It had a lot of info on organ meats and that they were often eaten raw right after the kill. It talked about eating cow and other animals brain as well. It called them 'sweetbreads' I think.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

I'm not trying to scare anyone from using there crock pots, I don't know anything for sure. Just kind of have a feeling I should look into it.

Yes, sweetbreads and all that...and I'm sure they are good for you...I'm just not ready to go there yet! Very interesting read though once I didn't let that scare me lol. It makes a lot of sense and many other countries still eat both regularly. Sounds like you will be able to read the whole book through just fine, it was all new to me
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Sweetbreads are the thymus gland or the pancreas depending on what type you are eating. (not brains)

I see the chef's on the Chef shows making them all the time. After I looked up what it was, I decided it just wasn't for me. lol

The name Sweetbreads makes them sound so good. lol

Oh btw, I'm glad I found this thread. It explains why my beef stock didn't taste very good. I only let it simmer for a couple of hours. I had no idea it could simmer that long.

Last edited by tcalhoun72; 03-16-2011 at 06:18 PM..
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I'm guessing the sweetbreads probably actually taste pretty good. The author of this cookbook said he had cooked up all sorts of things like that and served it to guests without telling them what it was and many commented on how delicious it was. And of course a few asked what it was too.

I looked at the box from one of my crock pots and it was made in China. I did a little googling and this page looks pretty informative, it seems to indicate it was used more on older or antique products: http://www.ceh.org/index.php?option=...435&Itemid=274

Hm...interesting, reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ilmc.org/Publications/ILMCFinalCombo8-02B.pdf
Generally, the tendency of lead to migrate from the glaze is greatest under acidic conditions

Last edited by porcupine73; 03-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: better link
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #30
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Broth making newbie here
I have been cutting the bones off raw steaks and roasts and have a bag full in the freezer.
Do I soak them in water with 1-2T vinegar overnight before I roast them? Or do I add 1-2T vinegar to the water when I start to simmer them?
Is it ok that they have some meat on them?
Is it a bad idea to add a bunch of parsley early on? The site I read (thanks Fawn) said to add parsley near the end of cooking time to preserve the minerals they it adds, but for flavor can you add some early as well?

Another question - one of the blogs mentioned washing eggshells in hot water, then freezing those (for storage until you're ready) and adding them? Any experience with that?

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote