Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Raw Food Diet

I've been doing at least 90% raw food the past week and feel great. I've already lost 6 lbs without even thinking about not overeating. It's amazing! And I feel so good.

I can't find a lot of information on LCF, and was wondering if anyone here does a mostly or all raw diet. This is totally new for me - I feel there is so much to learn.

So far I've made raw bread and tortilla chips in my dehydrator, sprouted buckwheat (which I used some, and dehydrated the rest), sprouted sunflower seed (also dried some), and soaked/dehydrated nuts. I've been doing lots of salads, and low glycemic fruits. I still drink my raw kefir, and kombucha, and a little raw cheese. Today I had a wonderful sandwich on my raw bread with radish/clover sprouts, avocado, raw cheese, onion and tomato with a few strawberries and blackberries- all organic except the blackberries. It was really yummy!

So, any other raw foodies out there?

Criosa
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ma Bailey
WOE: Atkins and Organic
This sounds very interesting. I've "hit a wall" wiith low carbing and would really like to keep low carbing with a twist perhaps and maybe this could help. How do you make the bread? I've got most of the veggies and raw cheese and love the idea of eating a sandwich...would you share? Would also like to take a peek at your daily menu...Good Luck to you with this...I have heard nothing but good for this way of eating. Not one bad thing. TIA >^.,.^<
Ma Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Well, today I had several handfuls of sprouted sunflower seeds, strawberries, and coffee for breakfast - I know, coffee's not raw - that's why I said 90% raw. Lunch was the sandwich I mentioned, a couple of strawberries and blackberries, and about 8 sugar snap peas. Dinner will be a green salad with whatever veggies I find, broccoli sprouts, sunflower seed sprouts, olive oil and vinegar dressing. I'll probably have a small glass of kefir pureed with fruit too, since I haven't had any today. Yesterday I had raw granola (I forgot to mention I made some of that too), with raw milk and 1/4 banana slice - I know, not low carb! Lunch was a huge salad like I'm having tonight, frozen blueberries pureed in my Magic Bullet with stevia and raw cream. Dinner was just some raw cheese and a couple handfuls of sunflower sprouts, and handful of crispy almonds (soaked and dehydrated.)

I wasn't impressed with the raw bread by itself, but it's good as a sandwich. I want to try some other recipes when this batch is gone. I got the recipe from the Raw Chef web site by Russel James. It was a lot of work - soaking, and pureeing, spreading out, turning over, cutting into bread size pieces... Also, I have an American Harvest dehydrator, which has a hole in the middle. I'd love to have an Excaliber sheet type dehydrator. If I wasn't wheat intolerant, I think I'd just buy Manna bread, which from what I've heard, if pretty much raw on the inside.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all of the info. I will not give up my coffee either. I drink one cup of organic and don't think that should be a problem.
I am going to try to go 50% raw and organic and work to more like 75% in the near future. I have only heard good about "raw" eating. I have a dehydrater too with the hole in the middle, but it should be ok. I have a garden going this year and found out that Swiss chard is a good veggie to eat raw...I planted a TON of it. I already eat zucchini, broccoli, kale, radishes, tomatoes, bell peppers and a few others raw. I make a "green smoothie" just about every day and sip it for about 3 hours. I am getting real tired of meat and would like to change things up a bit...that is why I think the Raw Food DIet might help me out.
Again, Thank You for all of the info...I wish you continued success. Now I am off to look for that raw bread recipe...>^.,.^<

Life's a dance we learn as we go. Sometimes we lead, sometimes we follow.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kaitlynhcg
I'm glad you started this thread. I have been researching raw for over a year now and plan on slowly easing my way in. I tried to jump in head first in the beginning, but felt that my unhealthy relationship with cooked food was holding me back. I would eat fruits and vegetables during the day and then have minor slip-ups at night causing major binges. I realized I need to repair my relationship with COOKED foods before making the transition. I am now working on vegetarian and then plan on going vegan when I am comfortable. From there, I'll move to 100% raw.
kaitlynhcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Kaitlyn, I was going to start slowly, and I'm not really sure if I'll do 90 or 100% for ever. But I liked it so much, that I haven't wanted to eat any cooked food. We're having company over Sunday, and having salad and chicken. I'm not sure if I'll eat any chicken. My digestion has been really wacky lately, and meat has been hard on me. The only meat I seem to be able to eat comfortably is fish. It's not just the meat issue that got me interested in raw, but the food is just so yummy! I've wondered if raw meat would work for me, but the idea seems yucky to me. I'll look up the websites. There are so many websites on the subject, I didn't know which one to try.

Ma Bailey, I love Swiss Chard too, but have never had it raw! I just bought some kale. I've never had it before. I was going to make chips with it. We have a city plot, and not a lot of room for a garden. I usually grow tomatoes and peppers along the chain link fence. We have been tearing out more and more non producable plants, and plan to do more urban homesteading. This is our major project this year. Being in Wisconsin though
limits us on growing time for the plants.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
the years i was raw, i was definitely skinny and light on my feet. couldn't keep strong muscle, though. of course, there was a lot of fruit and not low glycemic.
i'm still suffering the consequences of my vegetarian high carb eating for about 20 years. so be careful. it may feel great now but there's a ton of eating disorders in the raw community (too much food labeled 'bad')....and dogma like you can't believe.
eating raw cheese and milk is a good way to go. and also, at least if your 90%, it leaves you the option of adding more protein foods.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I've been reading alot about raw meat. I googled "eating raw meat" and there were very few that said it was bad for you. Even a vegetarian said that if he had to eat meat...he would eat it raw. I believe there was only one (of all the articles I read) that said eating raw meat wasn't advised, but it was mainly to do with the temperature it is kept at and the bacteria that grow when it is kept at higher temps. Most of the posters that talked about their older relatives that ate raw meat said that they succumbed at ripe old ages past 100.

It is a very interesting subject. I'm going to google recipes next...but I'm still a little sqeamish about the raw meat. I guess it is something you have to work at.

I'm trying to connect with a lady that sells range free, organic meat in my area. She also sells raw milk (for your animals of course ) that is out of this world. It also lasts longer then I thought it would in the refrigerator. There is nothing like the taste. We have been poisoned by the food we are buying at the grocers and I am really trying to take control of what I eat by growing my own and purchasing from a farmer I trust in my area. I hope you all can do the same.

Criosa, what you are doing as far as your garden is real cool. You give hope to a lot of people living in the city. I bearly tasted the Swiss chard in my drink...just knew it was there. I also put kale in my "green smoothie". It is a little chewy, but so much easier than cooking it. The other name I have for my smoothy is "liquid salad", but the beauty being I don't have to figure out what salad dressing to put on it. >^.,.^<
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Jem51, I have also been eating raw eggs in my kefir drinks. I don't tolerate grains very well, so I don't feel tempted to eat a lot of them. Sprouting helps a lot - and I think it lowers the carbs.

Mary, I'm with you on the meat. Also, I'm worried my hubby will really think I've flipped if I eat raw meat. I'm sorting it out in my mind. I've had sushi, and wasn't crazy about it. I don't know what kind it was - but it had banana in it, which was weird to me. I know there's other kinds, maybe I'll brave it again someday. I think what's hard is the years and years of hearing how you need to be careful of raw meat, milk and eggs. I've been drinking raw milk now at least 5 years. It did take a lot of reading and studying before I took the initial plunge though.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I have to tell you all that this is the first year I have ever had a veggie garden. We live in an area that has lots of rabbits etc, so DH put a fence around our raised bed...just to be on the safe side. I have been in the garden pulling some of the seedlings because DH and I planted some stuff too thick. I started to just dump the stuff I was pulling but now I am planting it on the outer side of the fence...sort of sharing it with the bunnies and such. That way I will have back up crops too. Might even take them to the Farmer's Mkt. Just thought I would share...>^.,.^<
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Mary,
That's sweet you are sharing with the bunnies. My husband wants to kill them. We have two dogs now, and the rabbits pretty much avoid our backyard. Our city has lots of them. The kids think they're cute. DH thinks of them as a rodent. Now I have to deal with the dogs peeing on my basil. Yuck.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
I love eating raw foods! I've done it 100% (raw/vegan) two years ago but that was a little too depleting for me. I got thin, but I was was eating too many fruits so my blood sugar was high (I have insulin resistance) not enough B12 and so on.

I do best on an omni diet, but around 80% raw.
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenandchic View Post
I love eating raw foods! I've done it 100% (raw/vegan) two years ago but that was a little too depleting for me. I got thin, but I was was eating too many fruits so my blood sugar was high (I have insulin resistance) not enough B12 and so on.

I do best on an omni diet, but around 80% raw.
I don't think I've ever done anything 100%. That could be good or bad. I have noticed a lot of raw recipes have quite a bit of sweeteners, like dates and dried fruits. I'm not insulin resistant, but don't want to use a lot of them.

I was wondering what an omni diet is. I can't recall the term.

Criosa
Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa View Post
I don't think I've ever done anything 100%. That could be good or bad. I have noticed a lot of raw recipes have quite a bit of sweeteners, like dates and dried fruits. I'm not insulin resistant, but don't want to use a lot of them.

I was wondering what an omni diet is. I can't recall the term.

Criosa
I'm sorry! Omni is just my shorthand for omnivore!

Yes, raw recipes does call for a lot of agave, dates, bananas, etc.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stellamystar
Stats: 208/192.8
WOE: Portion Control! Plants! Yoga!
Start Date: Jan 2010
I have the book, Raw, by Juliano .
So beautiful to look at those raw pics! He really makes some neat stuff ..he has recipes for the flat bread, etc.
stellamystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #16

Gallery: FatLover33
Stats: Starting Pant Size: 14 Goal Pant Size: 8
WOE: High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carb
Start Date: May 6, 2009
I followed a semi-raw food diet a couple of years ago. I did lose about 10 pounds but unfortunately I couldn't sustain it and I think it ruined my metabolism and pushed me closer to Insulin Resistance.
FatLover33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLover33 View Post
I followed a semi-raw food diet a couple of years ago. I did lose about 10 pounds but unfortunately I couldn't sustain it and I think it ruined my metabolism and pushed me closer to Insulin Resistance.
Thats exactly what happened to me - except I already had IR, but it made it worse.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
I'm currently doing raw too! I do about 80%. Lots of green smoothies. Usually one for breakfast. Then one either as a snack or dinner. In between I would eat fruits. I will eat a vegan meal with the family. Feel so much better eating this way! I did get dizzy and light headed for a few days. Not sure if it's the detox or just not enough fat. Do eat avodaco just no nuts yet.
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I've been eating mostly raw for a little over a week now. Maybe not 90% all the time, but most of the time. I'm a little bummed, but my sweet DH bought me a can of roasted macadamias for Mother's Day - my very favorite, but unfortunatley an uncontrolable addiction for me. I ate the whole can in 2 days. I don't know why I do that. Also, I ate out last night and had stir fry with veggies, chicken and some kind of sauce I'd rather not know what was in it. I didn't feel like having a salad. Even still I've lost about 8 pounds, and I feel good - that's what is important. I want to keep on, but I have noticed the dogma jem51 mentioned on websites. I don't want it to become my religion, but just a tool, or guide line. Today's a new day, no secret sauces or macadamia nuts. I'd put a smile here, but I don't know how to do them with quick reply. I truly appreciate and advice and/or encouragement.

Crisoa
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Criosa, I think you are doing the right thing even without our advice. Just "get back on the wagon". I also advise to drink a little bit more water than you are used to. It helps get the TASTES out of your mouth Lime water helps tons too. I just heard recently that lime juice is better for low-carbers because it is alkaline. I guess we tend to get "acidy" doing low carb...but I am going to do more research on that.

I am restarting today. I am going to eat ONLY lowcarb and as much raw as I can fit in. The raw part will be any fruit and vegetables I consume. I tried some steak tartar over the weekend and it was not bad...just had a hard time with it because of the texture. I talked to a friend that has Kebbeh (I think that is how you spell it) all of the time and she said the secret is to let it sit overnight, or even a couple of days in the fridge to soak up the oil and herbs. I am looking for a nice piece of salmon to experiment with too. We have some fish markets in Knoxville that I might try. I only want "wild caught" which makes it a bit harder to find.
OK Peeps...I'm off and running...my best to you all...>^.,.^<
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mary, i think the tastiest raw fish is yellow tail tuna, hands down. and don't forget ceviche...easy to make your own.

there's a raw book written by a model or actress(?) named carol ats (i'm sure that spelling is wrong) but she points out that when you eat a seared rare steak, you are eating mostly raw.
also raw milk cheese, etc. if you are able to get raw milk, it is easy to culture into buttermilk because you won't have to heat it at all. i make my own (can't get raw milk) and i just pour it into the jar right out of the fridge and set it out...i started w a culture from new england cheese and after 1 1/2 yr am using the same buttermilk as culture. yogurt, as you probably know, loses its kick for culturing.

be careful of eating all the sugary fruits when eating raw. my blood sugar is high from too much and i was way more careful than some because i hated the rush.
i had to laugh when i once heard david wolf say he got high while eating melons out in the field. i wanted to say 'hey, check your blood sugar'!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tesaje
Stats: 160/160/130
WOE: Lo carb/organic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Bailey View Post
Lime water helps tons too. I just heard recently that lime juice is better for low-carbers because it is alkaline. I guess we tend to get "acidy" doing low carb...but I am going to do more research on that.
This is why I think the alkaline diet claims are bogus. Lime juice is very acidic. Just like lemon juice is. It will take out rust stains, for pete's sake, and rust chemical bonds are very strong.

Not to mention that our bodies are very good at keeping the right pH - or we die quickly.
Tesaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

tesaje. i agree w you that it's bogus and these claims are pushed by the vegetarian community but an acid food may leave an alkaline residue/ash.
cranberry juice for instance...and acid food that has the opposite effect on the urine.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This is why I think the alkaline diet claims are bogus. Lime juice is very acidic. Just like lemon juice is. It will take out rust stains, for pete's sake, and rust chemical bonds are very strong.

Not to mention that our bodies are very good at keeping the right pH - or we die quickly.

Thanks for the info...I stand corrected. I guess I will use the limes I have to remove the rust on an old shovel I have... >^.,.^<
Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
I've been ~95% raw for about two weeks now. Not vegan - I do still enjoy a small amount of raw milk, homemade kefir and yogurt (raw) - and a raw unpasteurized egg in my homemade mayo.

I feel great - I'm pretty much in maintenance mode - and over the past couple weeks, I've been down about pound a week... I was a bit above where I like to maintain - so I'm ok with it...

I've been lo-carb for so long that it is a switch - but one my body seems to be liking!

I'm glad this thread is here!

Happily Maintaining - 45 Fit and Fantastic!

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/lbrobo77/

I XanGo Juice!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
I forgot to add - ME the coffee addict - quit cold turkey two weeks ago yesterday!!!

Coffee just wasn't tasting as good or right to me, so I just stopped... I'm glad I did - I do have more afternoon energy and I am sleeping better.

I know that I probably haven't given it up for good and my enjoy a cup now and then but I don't want to get back to the 4 or 5 cups or more a day habit!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I'm on a buisness trip with my husband right now, and it's a little hard to keep on track. I brought a small ice chest for my raw milk and granola - there's no refrigerator in our room. I buy salads for lunch, but dinner is hard. I don't want salad again, so I've been buying stir fries. Last night's was kind of yucky though. DH thought it was great, so I kept quiet. Being away from home is hard for me. I also ate a handful of doritos! I don't even really like them, but I was really hungry, and the kids bought a bag on the road. I have 3 more days of this. I'm in Lansing Michigan, never been here before. I heard there was an outdoor market open most days within walking distance of us. I'm going to check it out this morning.

I've thought about quitting coffee. I usually have a two cup mug in the morning. I'm giving it some thought, but need a really good reason to do it.

Criosa
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm not there yet, but inching my way - I just bought "Thrive, the vegan guide to nutrition" and it looks amazing. I also have a book on green smoothies and raw foods in general. The green smoothies have been fantastic. We try and have at least one a day. Never thought I'd enjoy kale or spinach like that!

I have to finish a few projects at home first so that I can devote my energy to this new way of eating, but I'm really looking forward to the switch.

My partner is all for it, though my little boy (three years old) will not go down this path willingly. For right now there's no way I am going to push a vegan diet on him, but my plan is to try here and there to at least introduce some new foods. One thing he LOVES is our home kombucha brewing system. There's never enough kombucha in this household, lol.

What's so interesting is that I had a broccoli, tomato, and mozzarella salad at a restaurant the other day just to test the theory that I could not be satisfied on a raw food meal. Unbelievably I was totally satisfied for hours - I was honestly amazed. I usually get very hungry again within four hours - and of course, I was hungary again at the four hour mark, but not ravenous. I felt great the whole time, satiated, complete, not heavy like I usually feel after a meal (even a snack of oriental crackers and nuts can make me feel bloated and too full).

So, I am encouraged that this might actually work. And it's not like I'm just randomly trying the raw food diet... it's been creeping up on me for a while. My body has been telling me to eat raw and clean for a while. This time I'd like to honor the message...

Last edited by Kamalam; 05-16-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Kamalam, I'm not ready to jump into the vegan raw food diet, and don't think I'll ever be ready to really. I do have a very good friend who is. She says she feels great. She's been doing it about 4 weeks now.

I know what you mean about being suprised about a salad filling you up for hours. I've been making enhanced salads, with sprouted seeds or nuts, cheese, and plenty of veggies. Sometimes I have a hard time finishing them. The nice thing is that I'm losing weight. Heavy meat meals weigh me down, and give me a sluggish queasy feeling. I know not everyone is that way. DH isn't. He trives on the pure Atkins type diet of meat and veggies. I think you are so right on about eating right for your body. Everyone is different, and you have to find the type of diet that works best for you. It's hard sometimes listening to your body, and not your brain.

Last edited by Criosa; 05-17-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Croisa, thank you for starting this thread. I was so excited when I read its title. I have been back and forth between eating mostly raw food and at other times low carb - trying to feel well and lose weight at the same time. Perhaps this will be the place where I can "settle" - somewhere between the two ways of eating. This is what I have learned about my body. I definitely lose a dress size in 2 weeks when doing low carb and stay in "Ketosis". But I don't feel as well or as energetic as I do when eating only raw food and so I switch diets. On the other hand I don't lose weight quickly while eating raw food and it takes a lot of fruit to make a green smoothie taste good. My blood pressure did go down while I was sticking to Atkins a few years ago. Now it is very high since I have been eating a lot of fruit. I have to add though that I haven't helped myself at all because I do go on binges with junk food and then try to get back to raw food only or Atkins, so I am still yo-yoing. So I notice that I seem to pack on the pounds quicker than ever now. Perhaps I have really harmed my metabolism too as one of you girls also mentioned above. For a while I journaled here about managing to stay in "Ketosis" while still getting in quite a few fruits into my Green Smoothies (islesgirl's journal). I think I should stay with this thread - it "feels" right. I see that "greenandchic" noticed the effect of fruit on her blood sugar too. I can also identify with a few who are coffee lovers and who might like to quit (like me). I have also noticed that my tastes change the more I eat raw - I've even thought the coffee tasted different and saw myself actually being able to quit drinking it down the road as I'm sure it isn't helping my blood pressure. So I think I'll check in here every day to see what else you all have to add. It would be great if I could finally find my "niche" and a way of eating that enables me to achieve better health, lose all the weight I want and find some peace. (no more yo-yoing!) I really think that I might be able to succeed somewhere between the two ways of eating - raw, and low carb. I also want to post in a place where I don't feel "pressure" to be 100% this or that! This shouldn't be some kind of competition but rather a place to come for an interchange of ideas, experience and encouragement.

Sue.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-17-2009 at 06:35 AM..
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote