Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Criosa, I agree with you - I don't think I could be totally vegan - I do like my dairy here and there. Also I could see my body ocassionally needing some animal or fish protein. It's hard to say how the body will change once embarked upon this path. However, as you've mentioned there are healthy alternatives - drinking kefir or eating raw cheese (which is practically the only cheese I like anymore, though I was surprised I liked the mozzarrella in my salad. Gives me another option.)

Did you say you have a dehydrator? That is our next big ticket item - I was wondering what brand you had (seems the Excalibur is the one I see mentioned a lot). Also, can you share if you have a recipe book that you just love? Geez, not that I don't have enough to read, but I'd love to know how to make raw bread like you mentioned or eat a good salad with sprouts, etc. (last question! do you have a sprouter and sprout at home?).

Islegirl I know what you mean about finding your niche... seems like I've been looking for that my whole life!! Listening to our bodies seems to be important - that and common sense! Good of you to notice how the fruit is affecting your blood sugar. I drink green smoothies and I think you get used to adding more and more green - having good recipes helps as well.
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Posting my food.....

Let's see if I can be in "Ketosis" while eating the following:

Early in a.m. - coffee c/honey, sucaryl

mid morning - green smoothie with:
1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 seeded cucumber
big handful of mixed greens (spring or field mix - not sure)
1/2 lemon
2T ea flax, sesame seeds
1T ea hemp seeds, coconut oil
1 pkg Stevia
1 T DaVinci raspberry syrup
1 cup water

This tastes okay - I've had better. Maybe it's just not cold
enough.

I walked this morning. I was pretty slow though. You see, I have been eating foolishly for several days. But I tried on a few skirts yesterday and they fit me - a size 12 and a 14 (it always depends on the make). This was a good idea - better than getting on the scale. I am going to try hard not to do that until the end of the month.

Kamalam -I'm finding out that there are so many of us who have been struggling with food all our life. These forums really do help, don't they. What does W.A.P. stand for in your profile? btw - I have the "excalibur" dehydrator. I bought the 5 tray one and it is just right for me. Must admit that I've many many raw food recipe books, as well as all of Atkins' books, lots of Dana Carpender etc. But they are kind of like my shoe collection - they just don't get used nearly enough. I am sure this is because my mind is too cluttered as I'm not nearly as healthy as I should or could be.

I am also wondering if most of you, who, although eating lots of raw food, are still doing a form of low carb? You'd think I hadn't read any of the above posts - I did read them, I just can't remember a lot of what I read.

It was just great to read the above posts from you others who would like to incorporate lots of healthy raw foods into your low carb diet. I am always amazed at how much I can still eat in the way of fruits, veggies and greens and yet still stay in Ketosis. So here I am - trying again. Hoping to stick with it this time.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-18-2009 at 07:51 AM..
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i'd be shocked if you stayed in ketosis. but we all know that you don't need to be in ketosis to lose.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesgirl View Post
Kamalam -I'm finding out that there are so many of us who have been struggling with food all our life. These forums really do help, don't they. What does W.A.P. stand for in your profile? btw - I have the "excalibur" dehydrator. I bought the 5 tray one and it is just right for me. Must admit that I've many many raw food recipe books, as well as all of Atkins' books, lots of Dana Carpender etc. But they are kind of like my shoe collection - they just don't get used nearly enough. I am sure this is because my mind is too cluttered as I'm not nearly as healthy as I should or could be.

I laughed when I read the comparison of your recipe books to your shoe collection. I can totally relate, though my shoe collection is nowhere near big enough, lol.

W.A.P. stands for Weston A. Price - it's a form of what is called "traditional foods" meaning foods that are fermented, grains that are soaked, drinking raw milk, etc. Basically, foods that have high nutritional and enzyme availability. However, as I am moving to more plant based foods, I find myself less in this camp and more in a middle ground. I very much appreciate the philosophy behind WAP, however. I think when my body has reached a maintenence level of health, I will add in more traditional foods, but for now I am more inclined to eat raw. Still, having to learn all new ways of preparing food is WORK! Well, I'll get there, little by little.

I recently bought a plant based, kind of vegan book, called the Engine 2 diet, and the recipes are supposed to be amazing. Can't wait to try this out. As I'm realizing slowly, there's yummy plant based foods, and tree bark type foods, lol. I guess it takes some experimenting...

And I agree with jem51, I think eating raw and "ketosis" are kind of two different animals. It seems as if you need to choose one way of eating or the other... not sure, but since raw foods are primarily carbs, I don't see how ketosis can be reached. On the other hand, by eating yummy plant based recipes, you will burn your calories more efficiently - people have said they lose a lot of weight doing this, so ketosis doesn't seem to be necessary...

Last edited by Kamalam; 05-18-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Kamalam - I'd love to hear how you like the recipes in the book as you try them, okay? I'm always on the lookout for more books - especially easy, tasty recipe books.

I'll keep posting what I'm eating and we'll see how this works. I should be in Ketosis by tomorrow night or by Wednesday night. I'll let you know.

Just snacked on 3 pieces of summer sausage wrapped around a piece of cheddar. If anyone here knows how to "draft" our daily posts, would you please be kind enough to let me know how? Thanks.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-18-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

I signed up on ****** today and entered my food. They came up with 109 carbs. It will be so interesting to see if I am in Ketosis on Wednesday. I know it sounds odd, but I have actually managed to eat plenty of fruit and veggies/greens/seeds and yet maintained Ketosis. I'll keep posting.

Tonight's supper: Greek salad (feta, olives, romaine, cuke, onion, tomatoes and homemade Greek Dressing with Hellmann's etc. Yum.

Snack:
6 each: walnuts, brazil nuts and about 2T pumpkin seeds
Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Islegirl,

You inspire me to get more serious with my diet... I tried ******, but I know I don't have the discipline to enter my info everyday. Instead, I'm diving in that book I told you about, "The Engine 2 diet" and my other raw food book, "Thrive" and I'm a-going shopping tomorrow! Thanks for posting your meals! Maybe in the next day or two I will do the same.

Btw... awesome that you are managing to stay in ketosis!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Did you say you have a dehydrator? That is our next big ticket item - I was wondering what brand you had (seems the Excalibur is the one I see mentioned a lot). Also, can you share if you have a recipe book that you just love? Geez, not that I don't have enough to read, but I'd love to know how to make raw bread like you mentioned or eat a good salad with sprouts, etc. (last question! do you have a sprouter and sprout at home?).
I have a round dehydrator with a hole in the middle. The Excalibur is the one that I really want, because they come in trays. I'll get one eventually. I've only made one raw bread recipe, and froze what what was left. It was okay, but I think there's other recipes that would be better. As for sprouts, I just sprout in jars with mesh lids. I'm not sure about books yet. It's overwhelming! I've checked several out at the library to look at before I buy. So far I like Carol Alt's second book (she has two that I know of) "The Raw 50." I did buy "Everyday Raw" by Matthew Kenney. My reasons was purely visual. I liked the pictures. I hope I like the recipes!

For those who do green drinks, I tried one today. I made it with kefir, spinach, about a third of a pear, 1/4 c. blueberries, and stevia. I had terrible hunger and cravings all day, even though it was huge. It started my day off really bad! What did I do wrong? Do I need more protein like egg, hemp or chia seeds? Should I add coconut oil? I don't want to make that mistake again.

Criosa
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Croisa, thank you for starting this thread. I was so excited when I read its title. I have been back and forth between eating mostly raw food and at other times low carb - trying to feel well and lose weight at the same time. Perhaps this will be the place where I can "settle" - somewhere between the two ways of eating. This is what I have learned about my body. I definitely lose a dress size in 2 weeks when doing low carb and stay in "Ketosis". But I don't feel as well or as energetic as I do when eating only raw food and so I switch diets. On the other hand I don't lose weight quickly while eating raw food and it takes a lot of fruit to make a green smoothie taste good. My blood pressure did go down while I was sticking to Atkins a few years ago. Now it is very high since I have been eating a lot of fruit. I have to add though that I haven't helped myself at all because I do go on binges with junk food and then try to get back to raw food only or Atkins, so I am still yo-yoing. So I notice that I seem to pack on the pounds quicker than ever now. Perhaps I have really harmed my metabolism too as one of you girls also mentioned above. For a while I journaled here about managing to stay in "Ketosis" while still getting in quite a few fruits into my Green Smoothies (islesgirl's journal). I think I should stay with this thread - it "feels" right. I see that "greenandchic" noticed the effect of fruit on her blood sugar too. I can also identify with a few who are coffee lovers and who might like to quit (like me). I have also noticed that my tastes change the more I eat raw - I've even thought the coffee tasted different and saw myself actually being able to quit drinking it down the road as I'm sure it isn't helping my blood pressure. So I think I'll check in here every day to see what else you all have to add. It would be great if I could finally find my "niche" and a way of eating that enables me to achieve better health, lose all the weight I want and find some peace. (no more yo-yoing!) I really think that I might be able to succeed somewhere between the two ways of eating - raw, and low carb. I also want to post in a place where I don't feel "pressure" to be 100% this or that! This shouldn't be some kind of competition but rather a place to come for an interchange of ideas, experience and encouragement. Sue.
Yes, I agree, I hate pressure to do anyting 100%, and I also like having an exchanging of ideas, experience and encouragement!

I think my goal really is to just eat "mostly" raw - more than 50%.

It's odd though that you mention coffee is losing its appeal to you. I've been finding that I haven't been finishing my morning cup. I don't know why really. I'm not having any ill effects from it - that I know of. I often get myself a cup because DH does. Could I be losing my taste for it?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Islegirl,

You inspire me to get more serious with my diet... I tried ******, but I know I don't have the discipline to enter my info everyday. Instead, I'm diving in that book I told you about, "The Engine 2 diet" and my other raw food book, "Thrive" and I'm a-going shopping tomorrow! Thanks for posting your meals! Maybe in the next day or two I will do the same.

Btw... awesome that you are managing to stay in ketosis!
Hi Kamalam. Am jotting down the names of your books. Will be checking them out. btw - I'm not in Ketosis yet - as I've just re-started eating "on-track" again after a small binge. I will be by Wednesday night. jem51 will be amazed - so will I, especially after adding up the carbs today to 109 grams. But I'll let you know.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-18-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Kamalam. Am jotting down the names of your books. Will be checking them out. btw - I'm not in Ketosis yet - as I've just re-started eating "on-track" again after a small binge. I will be by Wednesday night. jem51 will be amazed - so will I, especially after adding up the carbs today to 109 grams. But I'll let you know.
Oops, sorry - just consider it early congratulations, lol.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa View Post
For those who do green drinks, I tried one today. I made it with kefir, spinach, about a third of a pear, 1/4 c. blueberries, and stevia. I had terrible hunger and cravings all day, even though it was huge. It started my day off really bad! What did I do wrong? Do I need more protein like egg, hemp or chia seeds? Should I add coconut oil? I don't want to make that mistake again.

Criosa
Your smoothie sounds a bit like Fawn's shake. How long did you wait before eating again? I put quite a bit more in my green smoothies than you did. Did you notice how much I put in mine today? (I posted it earlier) From what many people who eat mostly raw say, our tastes will definitely change and I've noticed this with both meat and coffee, although I am still dreaming about my cup of java tomorrow morning (sigh), so my taste hasn't changed all that much yet.

I've already tried to get to sleep and couldn't so here I am at the computer again. I just finished watching several videos at goveg.com Vegetarian and Vegan Information and I'm not sure if you'll ever see me back here on LCF. These videos are not for the fainthearted. In fact, I wonder what kind of people can do these jobs. I may never eat dairy, meat, fish or eggs or chicken, or turkey again. The raw food life always seems to pull me back, and these images have pretty well cinched my decision to stick with raw food and raw foodists.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-18-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ma Bailey
WOE: Atkins and Organic
"For those who do green drinks, I tried one today. I made it with kefir, spinach, about a third of a pear, 1/4 c. blueberries, and stevia. I had terrible hunger and cravings all day, even though it was huge. It started my day off really bad! What did I do wrong? Do I need more protein like egg, hemp or chia seeds? Should I add coconut oil? I don't want to make that mistake again."

Criosa[/QUOTE]

I have a "green smoothie" every day. I don't use kefir as a base, but want to try it. I make about a 1 quart drink around 11am and sip most of the day through a straw...it is finished around 3pm. Mine consists of 3 cups of water, 2 large handfuls of greens (kale, spinach, chard or romaine lettuce etc..or a combination) blueberries, tomatoes, celery, lettuce, 1/2 apple, cucumber, 1/2 carrot, a little cilantro or parsley and sometimes if I have a beet around I will put a slice or 2 in it. I used to put more fruit in it, but found I would react to the sugar (hunger or a bit jittery) so I backed off of the sugary fruits. I know beets aren't lowcarb, but they add some great fiber and BEAUTIFUL color. I sometimes add a little stevia to it. I usually have raw cheese around to eat during the day as a snack to go with it. I've never tried putting an egg in it...I am going to try that today. I did try putting coconut oil in it and it didn't really "smooth-up" like I would've liked it too...so now I just have my evco before or after my drink. I also munch on almonds or walnuts during the day. This holds me until dinner time. It is my breakfast and lunch combined. It is also a very thick smoothie. I have experimented with ready-made juices as a base instead of water and my hunger starts in earlier when I use a juice...I guess that is how I react to the sugar. I do like using organic V-8, but I hate the fact that most of it is pastuerized so I don't use it often. I think, at least for me, that if I have the cheese and nuts around to nibble on with the smoothie, I am OK. Oh, and after the drink is done I fill the glass up with water and drink it down so not to waste the bits on the side of the glass...every little bit helps >^.,.^<

Life's a dance we learn as we go. Sometimes we lead, sometimes we follow.
Ma Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I've had a major "ah ha" kind of moment this morning. I was reading "Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life" and after an hour, my thought was, "I've been waiting for this my whole life."

He discusses not only why a plant based diet has higher net nutrition but how to incorporate this into an exercise regimen for maximum endurance and recovery. And to add to Mary's post, he absolutely puts in ground flax and hemp protein among other things into his green smoothie. Like the poster who commented on feeling hungry after making her green smootie, I too struggled with this. Victoria Boutenko's book on Green Smoothies never discussed the incredibly important element of good fats in the diet.

And no other book has so clearly spelled out what I should be eating before a workout, during (if it's long like a run), and after. His recipes look doable to me... the post recovery drink has lemon and lime, other goodness... he gives recipes for snacks, like making your own raw energy bars, as well as a basic 12 week diet plan! I am in heaven.

The main thing he stresses is that this is a philosophy more than a "diet" which I think a lot of us on this thread can relate to. Islegirl - hope you stick around LCF! There is great support here - and I'd love to read more insights from you as well as from the others on this thread.

Last edited by Kamalam; 05-19-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Well I am still here - thanks Kamalam! Your book really sounds interesting. So, I gather that we can post here even if we're not doing Atkins or eating with lots of emphasis on low carbs?

As for using lots of seeds. I do add plenty of them to my smoothies. And it is too much trouble to do the ****** thing - I just haven't that much time on my hands.

Yummy smoothie: 1/2 pineapple, 1 banana, 2T unhulled sesame seeds, 1 heap T cacao, 1 pkg stevia, 2 caps maca and 2 caps fo-ti and 5 ice cubes. Loved it and it is almost 1 p.m. and I am still not feeling much hunger yet. I am going to try to stop worrying about the Ketosis although I will check it from time to time. I want the increased energy, mental clarity and great skin and vibrancy that comes from raw living food.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa View Post
I have a round dehydrator with a hole in the middle. The Excalibur is the one that I really want, because they come in trays. I'll get one eventually. I've only made one raw bread recipe, and froze what what was left. It was okay, but I think there's other recipes that would be better. As for sprouts, I just sprout in jars with mesh lids. I'm not sure about books yet. It's overwhelming! I've checked several out at the library to look at before I buy. So far I like Carol Alt's second book (she has two that I know of) "The Raw 50." I did buy "Everyday Raw" by Matthew Kenney. My reasons was purely visual. I liked the pictures. I hope I like the recipes!

Criosa
I drink a green drink every morning. I use coconut milk frequently. It helps sustain longer. chia is a nice add as well as the coconut oil.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

We make almond milk here - such a wonderful, organic process. It's always fresh and available (as long as I don't forget to buy almonds - thankfully Costco has big bags). I've added that to my green smoothies and felt that helped ease hunger later. But I'd love to try coconut milk too... we use coconut oil in just about everything. And I've only recently discovered chia seeds. They're great!

But best of all was adding some protein powder mixed with almond milk to my green smoothies. So far I haven't tried the hemp protein yet (argh. i've been delaying due the cost of switching over - so far my Amazon cart is at $300, eep!) but I've used the Kashi brand pp from Trader Joes and that actually tastes really good in the green smoothies. That saved me in the mornings... Criosa, have you had any better success with your green smoothies and the hunger issue?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
We make almond milk here - such a wonderful, organic process. It's always fresh and available (as long as I don't forget to buy almonds - thankfully Costco has big bags).
I'd highly suggest you check out ebay for almonds straight from the farm. Not only are you getting large quantity at a good price but the main reason is they are not irradiated. Commercially sold almonds are now required to be pasteurized. I get mine every year from seller gaspare5491 - 20# shipped for $2.85# is $57 total

April 6, 2007 - Small-scale farmers, retailers, and consumers are outraged over a new federal regulation that will require all almonds grown in California to be sterilized with various “pasteurization” techniques. The rule, which the USDA quietly developed in response to outbreaks of Salmonella in 2001 and 2004, traced to raw almonds, mandates that all almonds undergo a sterilization process that includes chemical and/or high-temperature treatments.

the rule goes into effect this September.

The only exemption to these new regulations will be ... small-scale growers who can sell truly raw almonds but only direct to the public

(p.s. - I am not stalking you lol)
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ma Bailey
WOE: Atkins and Organic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
I'd highly suggest you check out ebay for almonds straight from the farm. Not only are you getting large quantity at a good price but the main reason is they are not irradiated. Commercially sold almonds are now required to be pasteurized. I get mine every year from seller gaspare5491 - 20# shipped for $2.85# is $57 total

April 6, 2007 - Small-scale farmers, retailers, and consumers are outraged over a new federal regulation that will require all almonds grown in California to be sterilized with various “pasteurization” techniques. The rule, which the USDA quietly developed in response to outbreaks of Salmonella in 2001 and 2004, traced to raw almonds, mandates that all almonds undergo a sterilization process that includes chemical and/or high-temperature treatments.

The only exemption to these new regulations will be ... small-scale growers who can sell truly raw almonds but only direct to the public

Hey Cindy....Thanks for the info about the almonds. I was getting mine through a small health food store but they quit carrying them. Now I can order direct...Thanks again, Mary >^.,.^<
Ma Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

You are a fun stalker so come find me anytime, lol.

I'm so bummed about my Costco almonds! I knew it was too good to be true. But SO happy that you've given me another option!! I'm going to look up that seller on Ebay and see if I can order some honest-to-goodness almonds sans sterilization.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm so bummed about my Costco almonds! I knew it was too good to be true. But SO happy that you've given me another option!! I'm going to look up that seller on Ebay and see if I can order some honest-to-goodness almonds sans sterilization.
That seller gaspare5491 grows Carmel Almonds which are cheaper. I don't notice a huge difference (especially in the 2008 crop). Other growers sell the more popular nonpareil almonds also on ebay but they are over a $1# higher.

And while we seem to be on the same food path exploration, I'll tell you the best price I've found for bulk chia seeds. The seller is getchia and I buy 24# (packed in 3# packs) for $6# Total of $144. They also offer chia for $5# but you have to buy 55# packed in 1 bulk bag for Total of $275. They have a long shelf life, so don't have to worry about them going rancid.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That seller gaspare5491 grows Carmel Almonds which are cheaper. I don't notice a huge difference (especially in the 2008 crop). Other growers sell the more popular nonpareil almonds also on ebay but they are over a $1# higher.

And while we seem to be on the same food path exploration, I'll tell you the best price I've found for bulk chia seeds. The seller is getchia and I buy 24# (packed in 3# packs) for $6# Total of $144. They also offer chia for $5# but you have to buy 55# packed in 1 bulk bag for Total of $275. They have a long shelf life, so don't have to worry about them going rancid.
Thanks for another great tip! I didn't realize how expensive chia seeds were till I went into my local health food store. Yikes!

It's great that we do seem to be on the same path of exploration... so any other ideas or tips, please send them my way! I'll do the same, though I think I'm a bit behind you. When I finally can afford to get all the stuff I need for my Thrive diet, I'll let you know if anything cool jumps out at me. The energy bars sound awesome, as well as the green smoothies...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I didn't realize how expensive chia seeds were till I went into my local health food store. Yikes!
Chia seeds will soak up 9-14X water weight. So 1# chia will create at least 10# food when fully rehydrated. In my mind, that's only $.60# for high quality live nutritious food.

I way overdid my Chia consumption when I first started using it by adding it to lemonade and drinking it. I have been thinking of adding it to my Kombucha drink

I make an awesome faux tapioca pudding. I add 4 scoops of whey protein to 2 cups of water. Add chia seeds (.75 cup?) let them start rehydrating then add in 2 cans of coconut milk and sweetener. Sometimes I will add cream cheese creamed into a can of pumpkin and added to the other, for a more nutritious pumpkin pie type pudding. I usually always have one version or the other on hand.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Is it best to always rehydrate the chia seeds or can you sprinkle them dry (like on cereal)? In one of my green smoothie recipes it calls for soaked chia seeds, one tablespoon in a cup of water for an hour. I usually don't wait that long - seems they're fairly gelatinous in half hour but I hope I'm not rushing things (?).

Also, waist conscious question here: is there a lot of fat in chia seeds? Well, I guess like flax, there's some... but I kind of don't want to overdo it just in case. I think that's what's been holding me back from using them a little.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Is it best to always rehydrate the chia seeds or can you sprinkle them dry (like on cereal)? In one of my green smoothie recipes it calls for soaked chia seeds, one tablespoon in a cup of water for an hour. I usually don't wait that long - seems they're fairly gelatinous in half hour but I hope I'm not rushing things (?).

Also, waist conscious question here: is there a lot of fat in chia seeds? Well, I guess like flax, there's some... but I kind of don't want to overdo it just in case. I think that's what's been holding me back from using them a little.
Fat is the biggest selling point of chia! HALF it's calories are from fat but it's good healthy omega 3 rich fat. Seriously though, look at a serving size of dried chia seeds and imagine only half of that is fat what are we talking about a couple of teaspoons? maybe a tablespoon?? I probably get more fat in my fish oil supplements. You want these fats though, you need to supplement omega 3's to counterbalance omega 6's in your diet. Their fat profile is a lot like flax but unlike flax their oil's are stable and don't go rancid. Which in my mind equals MUCH healthier. I still buy flax seed though.

Chia seems to absorb fluids quickly and I wouldn't be concerned eating them after 10 minutes of soaking. I think you get more benefits from a longer soak, but I wouldn't worry about only having a short soak. Many people keep a jar full in refrigerated, that way they are fully hydrated. I put some in the blender for a smoothie and I did not like it. It seemed gritty to me. I assume that without the gel packs surrounding the seeds, I really noticed them. If I make a smoothie again, I will fold the rehydrated chia into the blender contents.

I would be terribly concerned about eating more than a few dry, they absorb 9-14x fluid, you don't want that to be in your throat or stomach acids.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-25-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I've been away camping for 5 days. I brought three raw food cookbooks to read while I was gone, and a book called "Real Food". I made an onion flat bread in my trailer's oven on warm. It's pretty good, but not the recipe I'm searching for. Actually, I really don't mind making a "sandwich" with a romaine lettuce leaf. I always go back to that.

I did a quick read on the new posts. I have to get some chia seeds. I really like the idea of a healthy tapioca faux! I haven't had any in so long - it's a childhood favorite. I put some ground flax in my green drink - it helped, but makes it kind of grainy-like it seems, not bad though.

Criosa

Last edited by Criosa; 05-25-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lomense
WOE: low carb, raw
Hi I am trying to eat as many raw foods as possible too!!!

Hi =)

I'd like to eat raw grains and beans such as raw garbanzo beans

is that posible if I soaked them for many days?The carb content will be lower if I eat them raw

I have a hard time not gaining weight with rice and carbs ( even the healthy ones) and I need to have them back in my life

Thanks

Last edited by lomense; 05-28-2009 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: I wrote one similar
lomense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lomense
WOE: low carb, raw
Hi Everybody I'm new here and would like to say hi learn more about food

I am trying to eat as much as possible, raw and as much as possible low carb
I ahve a hard time with weight
I gain so so easily but my favorite food in the world is grains and veggies
With veggies I don't have a lot of problems because there are plenty out there and low in carbs, but grains....
Do you thinks that if we eat them raw and soaked, they will have less carb content? and beans?
Thanks for your opinions
Lomense
lomense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Hi lomense,
I've been thinking about your question on raw grains and beans. I'm no expert, but I have read some about it. I know that rice is hard to eat raw, even with a long soaking. I would rather make a faux rice with cauliflower or jicama. Oats soak well - with rolled being faster. You have to be careful not get rolled oats that are steamed. I've soaked and sprouted buckwheat and like that in granola recipes. Beans can be used in raw diets. I think it would be best to soak them overnight, then sprout them a few days before eating, although I have seen some recipes where they are just soaked a long time. They are lower in carbs when they are sprouted, as cooking turns them more into a carbohydrate. I've heard it's best to stay away from raw/sprouted kidney beans as they can be toxic. My favorite is lentils so far. I bought some garbonzos to try. I wouldn't want to overdo it on raw/soaked beans as it may cause some digestive discomfort. Mostly though I eat raw vegetables and sprouts, soaked and dehydrated nuts, cheese and milk, and the sprouted lentils I mentioned. I want to make some hummus next though, to use with the yummy crackers I just made.
Best wishes,
Criosa
Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Hey Criosa, do you think raw food tastes better, or do you think it's healthier to eat raw plant matter? Just curious.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote