Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
I just love this!!!! There ain't nothing little about those critters you're growing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

[COLOR="Magenta"]My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]What will Today's Kombucha Be?[/COLOR]
My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]Will you make a Brand New Drink for Me?[/COLOR]
Will You Grow Stronger, if You Brew Longer?
[COLOR="Purple"]Fizzy and Bubbly Inside![/COLOR]
My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]We Love Your Beverage Worldwide.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"]I'm a My Little Scoby Mommy
And I'm as Happy As Can Be!
Cause I've Got All My Little Scobys
In My Family!
[/COLOR]
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Of course, doesn't matter how old our kids get or how big - they are still our little babies - all grown up! Guess that goes for scobies too[/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #243
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Yeah in hindsight, they are quite HUGE!! I'm gonna look up how to stretch drum skins.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #244

Hmm. Found this a Happy Herbalist.
Quote:
As Robert Barefoot recommends Kombucha Tea and Calcium leads to health by balancing the body's pH. see Acid / Alkaline (TCM Yin/Yang) explanation

Additionally KOMBUCHAL (see patent) research in Germany predicated the same !

Here's a simple easy recipe for those that eat eggs and drink K-T

Save the EGG SHELLS form your eggs. We of course recommend using only organic eggs. BTW we also recommend poaching the eggs but cook the eggs any way you choose. Thoroughly rinse the egg shells and allow to dry out. Crush the shells and add to aged Kombucha Tea. The more sour the more better. Add enough K-T to completely cover the egg shells plus 2-3 inches over the top, leaving 2-3 inches of air space. Cap the container and allow to sit for a few days shaking occasionally. The egg shell will dissolve and your K-T will now be fortified with calcium. The health of this drink is theorized in the 1931 German Patent.

An advantage of this is that the sourness of the aged K-T will be neutralized by the calcium.

A further development, if you choose, would be to evaporate the K-T Calcium mixture. The simplest efficient method would be use a stove top double boiler.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #245

I got two quarts of 100% grape juice and put it into one of my spare scoby jars. There wasn't enough room for all two quarts, plus the cup of starter, Plus the scoby, so I have a bunch of grape juice still in the plastic jug. Since I contaminated it by pouring into the scoby's glass jar and back out again, I just poked a few spare scoby through the neck into the grape juice jug itself, till I can find another jar to put it in. I also pulled one of those mini scoby out of the tea jar and put it into a single serve glass jar with 16 oz of the grape juice to see if I can make a personal size jar of grape boocha.

I found that since I jostle my jars every few days, what appears to be a solid scoby is made of very fine layers all tightly packed together. I was able to peel thin layers of scoby off the top and they were so thin, glistening and beautiful.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 04-04-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
I took some finished kombucha and when I bottled it for the 2nd ferment, I put in about 1-2 T of cherry/apple juice concentrate with 12 oz. of tea. It turned out REALLY good, very fizzy, and a just enough fruit taste to help it along. I'm going to try pineapple with the green tea batch I have going now and see what it's like.
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
I took some finished kombucha and when I bottled it for the 2nd ferment, I put in about 1-2 T of cherry/apple juice concentrate with 12 oz. of tea. It turned out REALLY good, very fizzy, and a just enough fruit taste to help it along. I'm going to try pineapple with the green tea batch I have going now and see what it's like.
I pineapple boocha!!!!! Be very careful - it gets extra fizzy!

I also found the colder they are the less likely they are to explode and waste all the tasty goodness - LOL from experience losing almost a whole bottle of pineapple boocha!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, the ones I made with the apple/cherry juice were extra fizzy! I lost about 1/3 of a bottle of one cause I was talking while opening...went EVERYWHERE!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yeah, the ones I made with the apple/cherry juice were extra fizzy! I lost about 1/3 of a bottle of one cause I was talking while opening...went EVERYWHERE!
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]So do these fruit juices have HFCS in them? Or are they natural 100% juice?[/COLOR]
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]So do these fruit juices have HFCS in them? Or are they natural 100% juice?[/COLOR]
I only use 100% juice and mostly organic.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRobo View Post
I only use 100% juice and mostly organic.

[COLOR="Olive"]K, thanks. Looks like I won't be starting my starter till I get back from vacation. I just don't feel good about leaving a helpless little baby scoby to fend for himself all alone (and worse yet, with my dh )[/COLOR]
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="Olive"]K, thanks. Looks like I won't be starting my starter till I get back from vacation. I just don't feel good about leaving a helpless little baby scoby to fend for himself all alone (and worse yet, with my dh )[/COLOR]
I wouldn't worry about it... I had to go out of town unexpectedly (10 days) and this time of year the brew time is longer (cooler temp). I tasted this batch after 2 weeks and it is still too sweet for me... I did just clean out my 2.5 gallon brewer and remove all the gigantic scoby's and put two small new ones in with good ripe starter liquid and it is still not ready to drink.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRobo View Post
I wouldn't worry about it... I had to go out of town unexpectedly (10 days) and this time of year the brew time is longer (cooler temp). I tasted this batch after 2 weeks and it is still too sweet for me... I did just clean out my 2.5 gallon brewer and remove all the gigantic scoby's and put two small new ones in with good ripe starter liquid and it is still not ready to drink.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Just a little paranoid here cause it is my first time. I don't trust dh to not toss it cause it smells off. I'll hold off, I'll survive the extra week...

Everyone has been such a great source of information I really appreciate all the help!!
[/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 04-07-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I got my scoby in the mail yesterday (thank you metqa!!) and will start brewing up some kombucha today! I'm so excited to get started!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #255
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
OK, I am not ready to do it now but I'm making it a goal to start making my own this summer.

If the guy at the health food store can do it so can I!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just 100% juice from the frozen dept. I get the ones in plastic so I can take the top off, scoop out a spoon or 2 then put the top back on and set it back in the freezer. I tried pineapple, and DH LOVES it! He said to make him more of that, and I don't get any. I might have to start another jar! (kids still won't touch the stuff)

What have all of you been using to pour your finished tea in? I'm using gatorade bottles, and they are super handy, but I've read the plastic is not a good idea. Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

If you have an Ikea in your area I found the old style wire stopper type glass bottles for SUPER cheap. They are really thick glass and hold about 32 oz of liquid. The stopper part is plastic, but you could just not fill the bottle all the way to the top. I'm going to use these. I may also use large mason jars for brewing different flavors than transfer to the wire stopper bottles to store. I want to be able to get my scoby out of the containers!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just 100% juice from the frozen dept. I get the ones in plastic so I can take the top off, scoop out a spoon or 2 then put the top back on and set it back in the freezer. I tried pineapple, and DH LOVES it! He said to make him more of that, and I don't get any. I might have to start another jar! (kids still won't touch the stuff)

What have all of you been using to pour your finished tea in? I'm using gatorade bottles, and they are super handy, but I've read the plastic is not a good idea. Any suggestions?
I was using old GT bottles - but metal in the caps got gross (interaction between boocha and cap).

My kids were stoked - we had a run on Arizona Iced tea in my house at a 2 for price. Those seem to be holding up well. I use old ACV bottles any glass bottle in the 16 to 20 oz range. I have used plastic - but be careful they bow out under pressure and don't sit evenly. I've even used qt. mason jars in a pinch. Anything that seals - I'm not thrilled in using plastic, but did until my glass bottle collection grew. Ebay is a good cheap source too.

I just have to remind my DH to actually bring them home again and not toss em!

Happily Maintaining - 45 Fit and Fantastic!

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/lbrobo77/

I XanGo Juice!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

I haven't had luck getting my mason jars to seal enough to keep a scoby from forming. The gatorade bottles (12 oz and up) are tough enough plastic that they don't deform. I had 8 oz sunny delight bottles, those did not work at all. I was hoping to find something in the 8 oz size, but 12 oz is working out good now that I'm getting the flavors fine-tuned. I'll have to look for that tea, those sound perfect. And, I'll look on ebay. ( I spend WAYY to much $$ there haha)
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #260

Quote:
I haven't had luck getting my mason jars to seal enough to keep a scoby from forming. The gatorade bottles (12 oz and up) are tough enough plastic that they don't deform. I had 8 oz sunny delight bottles, those did not work at all. I was hoping to find something in the 8 oz size, but 12 oz is working out good now that I'm getting the flavors fine-tuned. I'll have to look for that tea, those sound perfect. And, I'll look on ebay. ( I spend WAYY to much $$ there haha)
I don't understand, you are trying Not to form scobys? Do you mean after the ferment? I've had a scoby form in a sealed jar from really ripe Kombucha, and even though I refused to open it, new ones kept forming as the older ones sank.

I found an old swing-top beer bottle at the thrift store. BF asks "is that useful?" the standard "ooh look what I found" retort! I told him it will hold his new grape boocha, and he paid for it!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Love thrift stores.

I was talking about the 2nd ferment. I tried putting my finished kombucha in 8 oz jars so they would be portable,and left them on the counter to 2nd ferment. I grabbed one, opened the lid and started drinking. About GAGGED on the thin layer of scoby on top!

I filled it nearly to the top and put on a lid pretty tight. It didn't work on any of them, I had about 4-5 jars. They didn't get real fizzy, either.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #262

Quote:
Love thrift stores.

I was talking about the 2nd ferment. I tried putting my finished kombucha in 8 oz jars so they would be portable,and left them on the counter to 2nd ferment. I grabbed one, opened the lid and started drinking. About GAGGED on the thin layer of scoby on top!
:blush: Sorry!

Quote:
I filled it nearly to the top and put on a lid pretty tight. It didn't work on any of them, I had about 4-5 jars. They didn't get real fizzy, either.
I think they are all going to keep making a thin scoby unless you pasteurize them. You also have to leave a little air in the bottle for it to get fizzy I think. . . .Laurie can you confirm or deny that for me? I think the yeast still needs some are to keep making carbon dioxide but if it cannot the bacteria take over and make alchohol instead or something to that effect, maybe that's temperature and not air. Oh darn I can't quite recall. but I don't feel like deleting the post so there!

Check out happy herbalist, they have more detailed about the fermenting process. I gotta go do some stuff before the tornado comes through town this evening.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

I've been reading a bunch of different kombacha making techniques (on the web) and a few webpages say if you bottle and let it ferment again a thin scoby will develop. I don't think you can avoid it.

Got my first batch going! Can't wait to try it when it's ready!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #264

Whoa, has it only been a week?

I walked past my shelf and decided to take a whiff of the grape juice experiment. I was knocked back! Whew! That's strong! It's almost like sniffing vinegar! I wonder if it has turned too strong already in just a short week!

My poor nose!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #265

oH gAwD! It's like Grape Vinegar!! I couldn't even sip an ounce. My nose is running! I didn't realize how strong my scobys have gotten. Jeesh, It was probably ready days ago. I thought they'd need a full week but I guess the scoby were hungry! The new one is a queer purple color!

The bigger batch is not so bad as the smaller one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-12prplscby_0001.jpg (39.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4-12prplscby_0002.jpg (36.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by metqa; 04-12-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! Wonder if I should taste mine? I am using a scoby you sent me! And the starter tea. I already have a new scoby forming on top!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Wow! Wonder if I should taste mine? I am using a scoby you sent me! And the starter tea. I already have a new scoby forming on top!
I'd go and test it for sure. Take a straw, if you have one, and poke it down along side the glass jar and beneath the scoby. then cap the straw with your finger and draw some liquid out, and dump it into a dixie cup or shot glass. A couple of times should get you enough liquid to taste without disturbing the scoby too much. if it still tastes like just sweet tea and vinegar, then it may not be done, but if it tastes like just vinegar, its too far which I doubt. It should taste , well , just right, not too sweet but not too tart. Only your tongue can tell you. BF likes it sweeter than I.

Last edited by metqa; 04-12-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Phew - this thread flies.

OK - I finally settled down enough to think again - work has been mind-numbing and then getting the yard ready (we poured a back patio), transplanting, yadda yadda.

I am really interested in starting this - but, my DH is a cross between a Doubting Thomas (about everything I do) and Charlie Brown (oh it won't work). I'm thinking - what if I start with a Sun Tea Jar, that has a spigot on bottom to drain without disturbing the top. How much do they smell - I forgot to mention DT + CB is a bit of a clean freak. I'm thinking might set it up on the top of the bookcase in my office. I'm very skeptical about getting "real estate" on the counter - we don't have a lot of space.

Off to go re-read the whole thread again - and add more questions. You guys are great!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Phew - this thread flies.

OK - I finally settled down enough to think again - work has been mind-numbing and then getting the yard ready (we poured a back patio), transplanting, yadda yadda.

I am really interested in starting this - but, my DH is a cross between a Doubting Thomas (about everything I do) and Charlie Brown (oh it won't work). I'm thinking - what if I start with a Sun Tea Jar, that has a spigot on bottom to drain without disturbing the top. How much do they smell - I forgot to mention DT + CB is a bit of a clean freak. I'm thinking might set it up on the top of the bookcase in my office. I'm very skeptical about getting "real estate" on the counter - we don't have a lot of space.

Off to go re-read the whole thread again - and add more questions. You guys are great!
Imagine if you left the top off the apple cider vinegar for a few hours. that's how it smells but 5 times stronger! it's not a gross smell just a sweet sharp smell, It makes your mouth water in anticipation.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #270
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
See, to me - completely fine. I'm almost wondering if I should get a ceramic crock so he can't see!

I loved my cranberry one from the food co-op, I can see how it can become very appealing.

Do you think an iced tea jar, the gallon type with a spigot would work? Or would that be too large? I can sort of envision tapping it off daily for a little bit and then refilling it - or am I totally off base?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote