Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRobo View Post
Jo -

That is too funny - I only have boys and they are grossed out. They are grossed out by anything that is remotely good for them except broccoli!

Kefir, raw milk, plain yogurt, boocha - all homemade they are grossed out, my teens call them all my science experiments!
[COLOR="DimGray"]Well, my son is 16 & he's trying to be a bit more healthy in his eating so this appeals to him and the fact that it tastes remotely alcoholic [/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Hey folks I need some crazy Ideas to make stuff with a leather dry scoby. I don't care how silly or crazy it may seem, so long as its plausibly useful."

[COLOR="Teal"]A wallet to hold all the money that you save from having to buy commercially made kombucha & a purse to put that wallet in[/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Wow, I'm only on page 4 of this thread but I'm so excited to start making my own kombucha! I do have a quick question for you master brewers, I read a post that said you can grow your own scoby from the commercial raw kombucha. Sorry if this has already been asked or answered, but are there exact directions for doing so? TIA!!! I love kombucha, it's just too expensive to keep up the habit buying it commercially.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
So, I have not tried plain kombucha - I REALLY like the flavored ones. When do you add the fruit flavoring - and is it real fruit or fruit juices?
I really like the flavored ones instead of plain, too. I haven't bought one store bought so I'm not sure if this will be close or not...

This is how I've flavored a couple of the second-brew jugs...

I've sliced 2-3 slices of ginger, and put in a little honey. Brew about a week to get really fizzy.

Also, I've put in about 1/2 T of my homemade grape jelly in a 12 oz bottle to flavor. Again about a week or so and it's fizzy. DH says this one tastes like wine. My grape jelly is really strong, so I don't know what you might use for store bought jelly. When I juice my grapes this year, I think I will freeze some in cubes to flavor with kombucha without all the extra sugar/pectin.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
I really like the flavored ones instead of plain, too. I haven't bought one store bought so I'm not sure if this will be close or not...

This is how I've flavored a couple of the second-brew jugs...

I've sliced 2-3 slices of ginger, and put in a little honey. Brew about a week to get really fizzy.

Also, I've put in about 1/2 T of my homemade grape jelly in a 12 oz bottle to flavor. Again about a week or so and it's fizzy. DH says this one tastes like wine. My grape jelly is really strong, so I don't know what you might use for store bought jelly. When I juice my grapes this year, I think I will freeze some in cubes to flavor with kombucha without all the extra sugar/pectin.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
Wow, Angela, thanks! I don't make my own jelly, but I am wondering how scoby would do with store bought - surely, they have HFCS. We touched on this perviously, but no one has had experience with feeding HFCS to a scoby although we know what it does to kids
[/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Wow, I'm only on page 4 of this thread but I'm so excited to start making my own kombucha! I do have a quick question for you master brewers, I read a post that said you can grow your own scoby from the commercial raw kombucha. Sorry if this has already been asked or answered, but are there exact directions for doing so? TIA!!! I love kombucha, it's just too expensive to keep up the habit buying it commercially.

[COLOR="Orange"]I don't know for sure if the scoby develops, but you can brew a bottle in a few ounces of leftover kombucha.

I will leave the growing scoby question to the scoby mommies. I think most have "adopted" their scobies.
[/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks JoSkids! I have the book Nourishing Traditions with directions on how to make Kombacha, but the directions say to add the scobe to the tea brew (along with starter from a previous batch). I can buy commercial kombacha for the starter, but getting the scobe is the hard part! If I could just make a scobe from the commercial stuff that would be awesome!

ETA: I did some searching and found a link to making your own scobe's from commercial Kombacha! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and try it! I'll post the results when/if I get a scobe!

Last edited by BikerAng; 03-30-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks JoSkids! I have the book Nourishing Traditions with directions on how to make Kombacha, but the directions say to add the scobe to the tea brew (along with starter from a previous batch). I can buy commercial kombacha for the starter, but getting the scobe is the hard part! If I could just make a scobe from the commercial stuff that would be awesome!

ETA: I did some searching and found a link to making your own scobe's from commercial Kombacha! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and try it! I'll post the results when/if I get a scobe!
[COLOR="Teal"]Although we have a wealth of information here, would you mind posting that link. [/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Sure! Here is one link (it's a HUGE post, but the directions are the first post).

Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - MotheringDotCommunity Forums

And here is another one I found with videos.

How to Ferment Kombucha Tea | Expert Village Videos
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sure! Here is one link (it's a HUGE post, but the directions are the first post).

Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - MotheringDotCommunity Forums

And here is another one I found with videos.

How to Ferment Kombucha Tea | Expert Village Videos

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Appreciate it![/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:

YUP - done it - well it was an experiment just to see if it could be done. Use a plain bottle of GT's pour 1/2 the bottle in to a qt jar w/ tea and sugar - cover and wait... oh yea drink the other 1/2 bottle. It was a bit slower, but once it got going the scobys were just as healthy as my other ones.

Successful experiments!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #222
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
"Hey folks I need some crazy Ideas to make stuff with a leather dry scoby. I don't care how silly or crazy it may seem, so long as its plausibly useful."

[COLOR="Teal"]A wallet to hold all the money that you save from having to buy commercially made kombucha & a purse to put that wallet in[/COLOR]
OOOh I like that!!! I could cut some scoby as strings and punch holes in the material and stitch it together summer camp style. (I've never been to kids summer camp but I can pretend )

Quote:
the directions are the same as if you didn't have a scoby, you just need some live kombucha tea to start with. un pasteurized kombucha will still have all the yeast and bacteria in it that do the work, the scoby is just the cellulose pad that is made to house them. Kombucha can ripen without it if it is strong and live enough, but transfering scoby is like transplanting a whole apartment building of workers to a new work site with a free buffet!

Any one of us could send you a scoby if your trial doesn't work, or if you just want a head start with a friendly slippery rubbery new friend.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Ooooo, I'd love a scoby if you have a spare and are willing to share!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Olive"]From what I am reading in this link Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - MotheringDotCommunity Forums - thank you BikerAng, I sucked down a perfectly good baby scoby last night Oh well, there will be others and I can't start brewing yet since I will be leaving next week... I am really anxious to get started though. This is so cool!!![/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="Olive"] I sucked down a perfectly good baby scoby last night [/COLOR]

Definately keep some of the kombucha when you start a brew, otherwise your tea might not be acidic enough to keep out germs. I would even keep the entire bottle of kombucha to start. It might take 2 weeks to get things going enough the first time or two. I started with about a cup of vinegar and a couple of scoby pieces from my friend, and it took about a month before I had something really good and fizzy. Now I have a scoby about 1 inch thick in my quart jar, and can do a batch of 1st brew in 5 days or so, and it's strong enough to do a second ferment in about a week.
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ooooo, I'd love a scoby if you have a spare and are willing to share!
I have plenty if someone doesn't hook you up, however, I won't be back home where they live, until Sunday!

Just let me know if you don't get one before then and I can mail it out monday.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Definately keep some of the kombucha when you start a brew, otherwise your tea might not be acidic enough to keep out germs. I would even keep the entire bottle of kombucha to start. It might take 2 weeks to get things going enough the first time or two. I started with about a cup of vinegar and a couple of scoby pieces from my friend, and it took about a month before I had something really good and fizzy. Now I have a scoby about 1 inch thick in my quart jar, and can do a batch of 1st brew in 5 days or so, and it's strong enough to do a second ferment in about a week.
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]He was in my bottle of synergy. I drink whatever is in there. Just kind of looked like backwash, but now I know better. I'm still drinking it if it's there, but if I am brewing, I am definitely keeping that bottle as a starter. I am not brewing yet. I am going to start in a couple of weeks when I get back from my vacation. DH can't be trusted to "babysit".[/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 03-30-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

I know, I need to just make "friends" with the scoby...
If I see some slimy floaties, I just pour off the top then start drinking. I'm sure the scoby would be good form me, maybe I'll get there.

I'd be tempted to just open the top of your bottle and hide it in a cupboard somewhere, then you would have it ready for some fresh tea when you get back. Or pour it into a mason jar so it would have more surface area.
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'd be tempted to just open the top of your bottle and hide it in a cupboard somewhere, then you would have it ready for some fresh tea when you get back. Or pour it into a mason jar so it would have more surface area.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Angela, thanks for this advice. I thought about doing that but cause I am a newbie at this, I kind of wanted to be around while it grew, but really, if I have to wait a week for the scoby to develop, might as well do it while I am not there and all anxious for it to grow - checking on it every minute, every hour, every day

Do you think there will be enough liquid from a 16oz bottle to keep it going for a week or should I add some sweet tea?
[/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 03-31-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Angela, thanks for this advice. I thought about doing that but cause I am a newbie at this, I kind of wanted to be around while it grew, but really, if I have to wait a week for the scoby to develop, might as well do it while I am not there and all anxious for it to grow - checking on it every minute, every hour, every day

Do you think there will be enough liquid from a 16oz bottle to keep it going for a week or should I add some sweet tea?
[/COLOR]
I would add some fresh sweet tea - I second the thought of starting it now cause while it does grow from GT's it is slow and frustrating not to see any changes... start it now and hide it away and when you get back you should have a new scoby.

When you look for a bottle of GT's look for one with a LOT of junk in the bottom -

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Just as a quick reference - cause I am feeling lazy today - what is the ratio of sugar to tea? I know I will find the answer later today as I read through some more of the links that were posted yesterday, but it would be nice to have a reference on the boards that I check most (although it has probably already been posted and I have read it and forgotten - mind like a sieve, yah know.[/COLOR]
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

I got your PM Metqa, thank you!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Just as a quick reference - cause I am feeling lazy today - what is the ratio of sugar to tea? I know I will find the answer later today as I read through some more of the links that were posted yesterday, but it would be nice to have a reference on the boards that I check most (although it has probably already been posted and I have read it and forgotten - mind like a sieve, yah know.[/COLOR]
I use 1 1/4 cup to a gallon - w/ 12 tea bags - usually 4 black, 4 white, and 4 green...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I got your PM Metqa, thank you!!!!
Thanks Metqa!!!! Hey she is passing on my grandchildren after all LOL!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I use 1 1/4 cup to a gallon - w/ 12 tea bags - usually 4 black, 4 white, and 4 green...
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Great, thanks Laurie![/COLOR]
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #236

:blush:

Quote:
Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #238

[COLOR="Magenta"]My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]What will Today's Kombucha Be?[/COLOR]
My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]Will you make a Brand New Drink for Me?[/COLOR]
Will You Grow Stronger, if You Brew Longer?
[COLOR="Purple"]Fizzy and Bubbly Inside![/COLOR]
My Little Scoby! My Little Scoby!
[COLOR="Purple"]We Love Your Beverage Worldwide.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"]I'm a My Little Scoby Mommy
And I'm as Happy As Can Be!
Cause I've Got All My Little Scobys
In My Family!
[/COLOR]

Last edited by metqa; 04-01-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Little?![/COLOR]
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!