Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #2011
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
MMMMM I love kombucha! I brewed it for three years and was able to quit smoking with the help of kombucha (amazing detoxer!!) I always kept my jars on a shelf in my linen closet as the temp was pretty consistant at 75 degrees. Some will put a heat pad under the jars but I didn't. I also believe a dark place is best to grow spores.

If you want to clean with kombucha you just have to let it go completely acidic and sour. Let all the sugar absorb and you are good to go, closest thing to vinegar (Do not drink!!)

When you are trying to grow a good starter mushroom your best to just leave it be for a good month or two. You won't be able to drink the finished product but it will make a great starter. Also don't seperate the layers off of the mother to make more batches, atleast not yet. Let them get atleast 1/4' thick. The thicker it gets the better the brew. Only cover jars with a paper towel and make sure to fasten with an elastic band. I used to find the absolute best tea blend was 5 orange pekoe and 2 green tea. I love the flavour of the grean but the fizz from the orange pekoe! Of course follow your recipe for how many tea bags and do a 1:3 ratio of the two.
I used to do a kombucha facial when I had too many mothers! Just put the fresh Scoby on your clean face and relax, it will pull toxins out of your skin and it will feel very refreshed and clean. Careful not to let any liquid in your eyes.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #2012
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Uh-oh. I put it in my new batch. I just started the first ferment a couple of days ago. Is it ruined?
No it is not ruined... it is just a good idea to discard what is strained out... makes good yeast to add for a sourdough starter. If you keep adding it you may get a yeast overload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
MMMMM I love kombucha! I brewed it for three years and was able to quit smoking with the help of kombucha (amazing detoxer!!) I always kept my jars on a shelf in my linen closet as the temp was pretty consistant at 75 degrees.

Some will put a heat pad under the jars A HEAT PAD ON THE SIDE OF THE JAR IS OK BUT UNDERNEATH CAN CAUSE A YEAST OVERLOAD IN THE BREW.

but I didn't. I also believe a dark place is best to grow spores.

If you want to clean with kombucha you just have to let it go completely acidic and sour. Let all the sugar absorb and you are good to go, closest thing to vinegar (Do not drink!!)

When you are trying to grow a good starter mushroom your best to just leave it be for a good month or two. You won't be able to drink the finished product but it will make a great starter. Also don't seperate the layers off of the mother to make more batches, atleast not yet. Let them get atleast 1/4' thick. The thicker it gets the better the brew. Only cover jars with a paper towel and make sure to fasten with an elastic band. I used to find the absolute best tea blend was 5 orange pekoe and 2 green tea. I love the flavour of the grean but the fizz from the orange pekoe! Of course follow your recipe for how many tea bags and do a 1:3 ratio of the two.
I used to do a kombucha facial when I had too many mothers! Just put the fresh Scoby on your clean face and relax, it will pull toxins out of your skin and it will feel very refreshed and clean. Careful not to let any liquid in your eyes.
Are you still brewing Kombucha? Yes the dark helps the brew & a cabinet is a fine place to store it out of the way... Might help keep the fruit flys away too

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-26-2012 at 09:04 AM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #2013
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I was at the EarthFare store and was asking about spirullina to add to Kombucha and 2 store employees asked me how to start their own brew. One employee already brewed. I'm so glad that home brewing is spreading. A few years ago people gave me strange looks when Imentioned brewing Kombucha. I feel like a pioneer. I might invest in some spirulina and algae to add to my brew once I restart it. I like the green GT.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #2014
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
I got so busy this past year that I couldn't keep up! I had ALOT of kombucha brewing! I also found it really hard to get back into low carb and wondered if the kombucha was hindering it. I still have my mother scobies "sleeping" in the fridge so I hope to get back at it very soon. Was never a fan of adding different flavour, I always loved it supper fizzie and just plain old "kombucha" flavour.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2015

I love my kombucha therapeutically....in other words, too strong to drink for normal people! But I do like to add a few cranberries to a bottle just for a zing. The Green algae/spirulina one is not so much a flavor , I dunno, I just feel different when I drink it and it tastes sweeter even though there is no added sugars/fruits other than the algae. Also I got more fizz when I 2f with some fruit like cranberry or ginger. I guess the extra sugar from the fruit livened it up in the bottle.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #2016
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
I got so busy this past year that I couldn't keep up! I had ALOT of kombucha brewing! I also found it really hard to get back into low carb and wondered if the kombucha was hindering it. I still have my mother scobies "sleeping" in the fridge so I hope to get back at it very soon. Was never a fan of adding different flavour, I always loved it supper fizzie and just plain old "kombucha" flavour.
get those SCOBYs out of the fridge!
They can permanently go dormant! Throw a little fresh sweet tea on them & let them have time to revive. If they dont.... we have good ones to send to you!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #2017
Major LCF Poster!

JUN Culture - I never gave up!

I was looking for a JUN culture last year... sent a fella the $ to send it to me but all I got were excuses & a request for MORE MKG sent to him - I sent him some as a courtesy for his JUN culture...Anyway - I found a reliable source & will let you know when I get it how the culture goes... I still share with my friends!

BUT I dont know if ya'll remember my experiment last year with MKG & sweet tea actually brewing a SCOBY-like culture and then actually using that culture & liquid to make Kombuch. I tried the same experiment at the same time with WKG and absolutely NOTHING happened.

WELL I got to talking to my sister & thought I would try an experiment. I made 2 cups of sweet GREEN tea with the same ratio as for KT but added HONEY (locally made by local bees & the little ol' beekeeper) 2T for the correct ratio. I have it covered on top of my cabinets in the kitchen & will see what develops in a month. I will let you know...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #2018

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
Faith, I posted the mkg to your friend. Did she get them yet?
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2019
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid of Erin View Post
Faith, I posted the mkg to your friend. Did she get them yet?
Cindy, I will FB her & ask... Thanks so much! I will let you know... check FB inbox. Hugs!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2020
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I made 2 cups of sweet GREEN tea with the same ratio as for KT but added HONEY (locally made by local bees & the little ol' beekeeper) 2T for the correct ratio. I have it covered on top of my cabinets in the kitchen & will see what develops in a month. I will let you know...
I'm very interested to see how your experiment goes!

I'm still drinking the bottles from my first batch of KT, the one where I ran out of sugar so wound up using 3/4 c. sugar and 1/4 c. of local pasteurized honey. I 2F'ed them with ginger, and they taste great.

I have two gallon jugs of KT going at once-- one with the scoby I grew from the local "MTO Kombucha" brand KT, and the other with the scoby you gave to me, Faithful. I bottled the first batch of KT from your scoby last Thursday, and 2F'ed it with pears from my in-law's farm. I just put those bottles in the fridge last night. I can't wait to try it!

Last night, I bottled batch #3 (using my scoby again, the one I brewed with the little bit of honey the first time... this time I used all sugar). I'm using strawberries in the 2F this time.

So batches #4 and #5 are currently brewing. I have kept the scobys separate throughout. If the brews continue to do well, I'm converting to continuous brewing, and I'll use extra scobys from that to do experimental batch brewing on the side.

My continuous brewer and stand arrived late last week, and the brew band (an electric heat strip) should arrive today =)

And, Faithful, the MKG continue to be absolutely amazing! I love them! I did a couple more comparison tests and it's final-- I've decided to part ways with the dehydrated ones I purchased from Cultures for Health... maybe I'll blend the CFH ones up up in a smoothie. There really is no comparison!

I guess my only question right now would be KT related: how many scobys are TOO many scobys to brew with at a time?

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Last edited by Matrigna; 10-01-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #2021
Major LCF Poster!

The more SCOBYs in the tank the faster usually the brew... However, it is OK to stack them & remove the bottom (oldest & darkest) one to a hotel when you have maybe 1/2-1" or so... it takes up brewing room is the main reason. Another is that you will have a good hotel, which BTW will grow a new SCOBY - will get very dense & thick the longer it is left undisturbed... think you got one of mine... cant remember, incase you have a problem & need a back up. Sometime, throw Thing 1 & Thing 2 in a hotel together to produce a baby Thing 3... the cultures will have the best of both parents.

I was going to post my first observation on the MKG, tea/honey...2/29/12
Today without moving it, I lifted the wash cloth covering (still has cloth banded on it) & viewed it with a flashlight. I have little areas of a SCOBY like substance in speckles on the top... I think we may have a winner here! It is too light to post on my FB page but will when I can move it & get a good picture. When my JUN culture arrives this week I will get my fresh honey from the farm up the road & start the culture. By the time it is ready & I have had my first taste, maybe this experiment will be ready to get a good comparison... if not down the road we will see... I kinda think that BOTH JUN & Kombucha have come from the MKG... now if we can figure out where they and the WKG originated.... fun... Porcupine... are you up for the challenge to look????
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #2022
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I'm going to do a ginger bug for the next bootch batch. I had a few questions about the ginger bug; can you ferment it in a metal bowl?

Also, how to you make ginger ale from a ginger bug? I see recipes for ginger bug, but that's it.

Last edited by terez; 10-03-2012 at 11:15 AM..
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #2023
Major LCF Poster!

I use glass for ALL my ferments... Porcupine could better tell if Stainless Steel is ok for a ginger ferment.

Just use a glass jar for your ginger bug. Follow the directions... I actually just dump a bunch of chopped ginger into a mason jar with a cup of sugar & filtered water... stir til dissolved & fill to almost the top. Cover & leave it alone... may take a week or more depending on the temp & if you have it next to your bouch brewing. I did that once & a SCOBY-LIKE shroom formed on the top with the ginger... anyway leave it until it is well fermented... that is your Ginger Bug.

To make my ginger ale (ginger beer cause mine has a kick to it but not a big one) I take my ginger bug add about a cup more sugar, lemon slices & 1/4-1/2 cream of tarter... stir it up in a gallon jar & add filtered water... cover & let it ferment til I like the taste (me very dry meaning no sugar & a slight alochol wang). Then I strain & juice the remains. Add the juice I got from the remains back into the ferment I strained out, stir & bottle in plastic pop bottles (plastic is OK for this & a 2F on water kefir). When the bottles get 'tight' I refrigerate... be careful opening it! The sweeter you let it ferment (more sugar content) the more it is like ginger ale... it is all to your taste... no two batches come out for me as I use the PDS (pinch, dab, smidgen) method of doing EVERYTHING where ferments come in... Hugs!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #2024
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
OK! I give~ what is the cream of tarter for?
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #2025
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Faithful! I made my first ginger bug. I'll have to find a tester to see if there's alcohol in the finished "ale". I want something kids can drink.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #2026
Major LCF Poster!

Pepperette-----I believe it is a stabalizer... all the recipies for ginger beer or ginger ale have it in there

Terez... no need really for a tester... if it is sweet & carbonated you are OK... light ginger taste is what the kids like... the alochol does not come into play unless you let it ferment all the sugar out like I do... it has a distinct taste when that happens & the kids will not like it at all!!!! However, even if you let it go that far there is maybe .5% in it - not enough to do anything & less than what is in most cough suppressants. If it gets there, just add some more sugar & a little ginger let it set maybe a day & taste... Like kombucha it is all done to taste... Hugs!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #2027
Major LCF Poster!

JUN

I actually recieved a JUN culture today! It is beautiful! Smells/looks like a KT SCOBY/starter but with a difinite different taste & acidity. It is brewed with green tea & natural beekeeper honey (not storebought).

I will let you know how it goes & if it goes well (although more costly due to the honey) I will let you know if I have cultures available or can put you in touch with the lady that gave me mine.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #2028
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I took out the scoby out of my latest batch and put about a cup of ginger/water/sugar in. I had the ginger bug going for about 5 days. It was kind of fizzy, but cloudy and not clear.

I'm saving the rest of the bug for some serious ale. For the heck of it. It's not like it takes 3 months to mature. Although, I'm going to make some honey mead, too. Maybe for Christmas.

You realize I'm turning my kitchen into a brewery. All these fermented things! Plus for dinner, I had Stilton cheese and sauerkraut.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #2029
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
That sounds great. Faithful I'm glad to hear about your Jun culture, yes let us know how that works out! That culture is a bit rare to find. Terez I don't think you will be dissapointed by the ginger bug. I had some trouble getting mine started so I added some champagne yeast. Bottled in swing top bottles it comes out amazing, just wonderful. Mead is nice, it takes a long time to taste good, it can easily be enjoyed 'young' if you don't mind the stronger taste.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #2030
Major LCF Poster!

Porcupine you are 1st in line for a culture when Get a mature one if you want one. My experment with the MKG, hone & gerr tea is doing OK. I didn't think I had enough MKG in it so I added more. They are floating on top & it has bubbles on top. I had to disturb it & it is coolish in the house now (70) so it will take a while undisturbed on top of the cabinet to do anything...will let you know.

Terez-that is the way a healthy kitchen should look. You should see my counter! Not to mention the fruit fly traps! Good thing my ferment counter is 8 feet away from my food prep part!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-10-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #2031
Major LCF Poster!

JUN Culture

OK everyone! The JUN culture is well on its way to maturity!
I tasted it & it is similar to KT but has a much milder taste.. Not quite the fizz this time around but JUN SCOBY traveled a long way to get here. I think I will just bottle this plain to enjoy while the next batch brews. Seems like it goes much faster than the KT & there is NOT as many stringy yeasties hanging... the SCOBY is also a much whiter appearance.

I posted a pict of my 10 day old brew on my FB Page so you can see:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/faithfulto.jesus

It will be a while before I have babies to share so let me know if you want this one to add to your ferment tables!

:Hugs:
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #2032
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I made my first ginger ale. I was somewhat disappointed because it wasn't over the top fizzy like I wanted. I think it was because I started out using ginger that had been irradiated. I didn't know it at first. Then I went and got ginger that wasn't.

From now on, I guess I'll have to get ginger from a health food store. So, I added a pinch of bread yeast to it, just to get the fermentation going. Hey, it's a brew, I figured, it's not going to hurt anything.

Anyway, it had an odd, sort of hard taste to it. And I drank a glass of it. And I was just a teeny surprised at how 'festive' I felt, after it. I had had it brewing for about 2 weeks and all the sugar was gone. I'm looking into champagne yeast.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #2033

I wonder if "Spike Your Juice" would work. It's a yeast product that turns fruit juice alcoholic, but the juice has to be at least 28g of sugar and it takes 2-3 days to work, but I'm sure it's just a type of yeast.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #2034
Major LCF Poster!

Harvested my first JUN for the 2F just now...I saved some to drink right now! It was so mild compared to KT & had a distinct hunny flavor. I put about 1/8tsp of hunny into the 16oz bottle to see if I can get carbonation. Will let you know! It does ferment faster than KT & when the temp was right (finally) the momma SCOBY that was in the bottom kept rising, turing & falling in the jar. It was so much fun to watch.

I left about 16oz in the jar for a while with both SCOBYs to make a strong starter & grow another baby. It will be a few weeks before I can go get more hunny!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #2035
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Well, I made my first ginger ale. I was somewhat disappointed because it wasn't over the top fizzy like I wanted. I think it was because I started out using ginger that had been irradiated. I didn't know it at first. Then I went and got ginger that wasn't.

From now on, I guess I'll have to get ginger from a health food store. So, I added a pinch of bread yeast to it, just to get the fermentation going. Hey, it's a brew, I figured, it's not going to hurt anything.

Anyway, it had an odd, sort of hard taste to it. And I drank a glass of it. And I was just a teeny surprised at how 'festive' I felt, after it. I had had it brewing for about 2 weeks and all the sugar was gone. I'm looking into champagne yeast.
I never have a problem with natural carbonation in my ginger ferment. You may not have let your ginger bug get fully developed. Did you also add lemon & cream of tarter to the final ferment before bottling?

I do mine in 3 parts:
fermenting the ginger til it is really strong (taste)
second ferment with the ginger bug, lemon & C of T (again taste as I like mine dry with no sweetness to it)
bottling in plastic bottles (I juice the remnants of the ginger/lemon in the 2F and add it back in before bottling)

One thing I found really helps is to use some of your already bottled ginger ferment to put into your new ginger bug... gets the ferment going much faster.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-22-2012 at 06:44 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #2036
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't bottle it. I don't have enough bottles, but I had the brew way up to the top. I added a few lemon slices and about a half teaspoon of cream of tartar. I think it had to do with the ginger that was irradiated. I'll have to get organic ginger now.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #2037
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
WOW I'm up to page 33 and was ready to start a SCOBY from a bottle of GT's then for some reason jumped to page 67 and read that after 2010 the changes made to the formula won't be as beneficial. Sad face. So do peeps still have babies to share? I promise to give them a good home. And happy to pay any and all adoption fees. I have to go to CA next week for a few days but will be back around the 20th and would love to start KT brewing. I bought a bottle of GT's last week and became instantly hooked. You guys have been fun to read.
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #2038
Major LCF Poster!

tstarre You can find my FB link in my signature & I have pictures there you can see.... I can probably find someone close to you in AZ that has cultures I sent to them... HUGS!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #2039
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
I talked to my friend in CA to find out if she knew anyone that brewed KT. So she's going to check around for me. She said she knows peeps that buy it by the gallon at a local health food store. Not sure what brand. I have never seen that only the 16oz glass jars. I"ve been buying GT's. Has anyone seen KT sold by the gallon? I do live in a small AZ town so maybe I just have a sheltered life;0)
Back in the early 90's I had someone give me a scoby and I brewed it for awhile but I happen to get sick with interstitial cystitis at the time and I always connected it with the tea. The fact is I was going through a divorce at the time and this dis-ease is aggravated by stress so.....but you know how it is when you make up your mind about something. I may also look into water kefir as I have no past negative history with that. I have slowly been drinking 8oz of KT every other day to see how I feel. I started to read the kefir thread but alot of the post seem to be about milk kefir which I'm not sure I'm interested in but maybe who knows.
Anyway thanks for reading
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #2040
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

New flavor; cherry pie. Dark sweet cherry juice, cinnamon and cloves.