Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #1951
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Perhaps it could be better asked ... what do you not do with kombucha!

It is interesting. It is a good cleaner too. It works well applied to cuts and scratches on the skin. I've even tried applying it to the underarms as an experiment.

It would seem like it is beneficial to plants as well. There is a whole host of bacteria and other organisms that are normally present on the roots of plants. Many people are completely germ-o-phobic, when in reality, we would die without bacteria and many other organisms.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #1952
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful

Porcupine, you put it so well!!!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #1953
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Maid of Erin
Stats: Ginormous/Ridunkulous/Awesomesauce
WOE: Whole Food Atkins
Start Date: April 2006
I need to read this whole thread but how do you store your old scobys? Just in a jar with some of the KT? Closed jar or loosely covered?

I think I need to learn more about your ginger KT Faithful. I love ginger and it's so good for you.
Maid of Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #1954
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid of Erin View Post
I need to read this whole thread but how do you store your old scobys? Just in a jar with some of the KT? Closed jar or loosely covered?

I think I need to learn more about your ginger KT Faithful. I love ginger and it's so good for you.
Put them in a jar (I use a gallon or the next size smaller with a good wide mouth) with some of the KT & a cover like what you use to brew your KT as it still needs to breathe. Be sure there is enough to cover the SCOBY & give some float room. Your hotel left undisturbed will grow you a BABY that willl be thick & healthy. After all isnt that what a "hotel is for"???

To add ginger to your KT just add some slivers to your 2F when you bottle or you can do a batch brew in a jar with a cloth cover for several days til the taste of your choice, strain & bottle... may want to add a tad of sugar when you bottle to ensure a good fizz... but try it 1st without & you may be surprised.

I also make a ginger bug & ferment ginger. It is a marvelous drink. I ferment mine until all the sugar is out... Is that the ginger you were interested in?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #1955

Ginger KT sounds good. What is a ginger bug?

So much to learn!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #1956
Major LCF Poster!

I just use a vegetable peeler and peel the skin off the ginger, then just peel a little slice for each bottle for the second ferment.

There is a very curious combination of herbs I read about that I want to try in the second ferment - wild/marsh rosemary, yarrow and bog myrtle/sweet gale. I've read sassafras is supposed to be interesting too but would have to research that more since some sources caution it has safrole a liver toxin it says.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #1957
Major LCF Poster!

duplicate post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1958
Major LCF Poster!

Porcupine, that is really a terrific combo...never heard of any of them... however, sasafras root has been around since the cowboys & indiana.... Yahoo! It makes a delicious tea when brewed & would be terrific for a 2F.... I would put some slivers of the root directly into the 2F.

BTW the easiest way to peel ginger is to cup a teaspoon in your hand & scrape the cover off the ginger... leaves the ginger & takes the peal!

A ginger bug is simply 2T chopped ginger 2T sugar 2 cups water, cover & let set...every day add more ginger & sugar in = amounts until it is well fermented and bubbly. You can then use this very sweet liquid to make ginger beer. Add most of the liquid to 2.5 quarts of water some more chopped ginger, a little cream of tarter & lemon slices... cover & let ferment until it is to your liking. Bottle in plastic bottles until they become tight! Chill & drink... use the remnant of your ginger bug to start another one... wont take as long. You can Google Ginger Bug and get some exact recipies... I never measure mine is different every time... I like to ferment it til all the sugar is gone but it is too potent for kids to drink... Burp!!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-04-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #1959
Major LCF Poster!

The ginger but sounds great, I am definitely going to try that! I was reading about it in Sandor's new book The Art of Fermentation. He says ginger root is naturally covered with the organisms to do the fermentation. He said he has had reports that some people haven't been able to get it to work, and he suspects it is because the ginger they got had been irradiated.

Thanks for the ginger peeling tips, I will have to try that. I haven't cut myself with the peeler yet but I know eventually I will. I haven't tried to source those herbs yet. I know yarrow I can get, not sure about the others. Supposedly those herbs were traditionally used in beer brewing, well before hops and barely became popular in commercialized versions. I figure they would work fine in a kombucha 2F too.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #1960
Major LCF Poster!

HUGE HUGS!

Never had a problem with mine fermenting but have heard about radiation thingy...
For the gingerbug... since you are not eating the ginger just wash it good to remove the dirt & chop...
After I have used & added to my ginger bug a lot I just use it all in a 2F or two and then on the final ferment I juice the remains to get all the fermented juice out.... but I DON'T THROW AWAY THE CASTINGS...

Save some to put into your next ginger bug (it can be frozen) to make your next fermentation faster or put some of your fermented ginger from a bottle into the start of your ginger bug... either work...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-04-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1961
Major LCF Poster!

Oh good idea on saving some of the castings. I might have missed it, do you peel your ginger before using it for the ginger fermentation? I was just wondering because I tried not peeling the ginger and using it in the KT second ferment and it came out ok but with a very, um, 'earthy' shall we say taste.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #1962
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Oh good idea on saving some of the castings. I might have missed it, do you peel your ginger before using it for the ginger fermentation? I was just wondering because I tried not peeling the ginger and using it in the KT second ferment and it came out ok but with a very, um, 'earthy' shall we say taste.
Yes, I always use the spoon to peal it but sometimes when I am making my hot ginger tea & just putting in a slice or two I dont... didnt think about the difference in taste... thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #1963

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
My neighbor just gave me a jar of Kombucha( tea and starter) as a parting gift, since we are both moving away. I remember talking to him about Kombucha, but didn't know he had started a culture.

I told him I'd share a jar of my culture and scoby so that we'd both have something from each other.

He didn't know about the scoby and started his first on in a jar with a small opening, we just laughed about it. He'll have to hook it to get it out! LOL
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #1964
Major LCF Poster!

Sad to know a good neighbor is moving away. And you are also moving??? This is big! Will you be able to get settled before school starts?

& I have about a half gallon of really active WKG if you know anyone that can use some.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

Hm I had a nice result from some KT aged for a few weeks in 2F. I had put in some pine needles, some kind of leaf, I think it was catnip but might have been raspberry, and some nettle. Wow I forgotten I had mixed that bottle into my normal batch and I was surprised when I tasted it. It was delicious. So I put up another 14 bottles just like that last night plus adding a juniper berry to each.

I hope your move is going well Metqa.

Funny faithful you should mention about WKG. I had an, um little, well OK BIG accident with mine last night. I think they probably would have been no good anyway from having sitting in the fridge for what probably 8 months. They were in a 1/2 gallon jar. So I took it out to inspect it, and the thing slipped out of my hand, and wouldn't you know if the jar didn't pretty much explode when it hit the floor. I think there was pressure built up in the jar, because I've dropped those jars before on the floor (the floor is a little bit spongy thankfully so it absorbs the impact normally).

So...here's the picture...glass chards on the floor for a good 10 foot radius from the drop ... sticky sugar water fizzing all over the floor ... grains mixed in all over the place. Man that was one of the worst messes I had to clean up.

I tried with a towel but no go because of the glass chards. I thought of a broom but then it would be a sticky mess. So I had to go out to the garage and get the big wet dry vac. Never used it for anything wet before, but that was great, sucked glass chards, grains, sticky water, etc all right up into it, and pretty much left the floor dry after passing over it.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1966

I have decided that Water kefir is too much trouble and I prefer Kombucha. Good stuff!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Maid of Erin, Good choice! If I had to choose a healthier one it would be KT. I really like your new pict!

Porcupine! What a mess! I am sure after 8 mos of not being fed there was any sugar left at all.... & Yes, you could have picked up a handful, rinsed & started over. Those are tough buggers! I was reading on one site where a fella just throws his into the freezer for a while when he is not fermenting, then puts them right back into sugar water & they restart. Havent tried that yet but might so we know.... However, I would probably put in fresh sweet water then freeze in a baggie to insulate them from freezer burn. Hmmmmm! I have 1/2gal of WKG that are very active.... want some?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-30-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #1968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I started the GAPS diet and I noticed some improvement in just a week; after I started using kefir. Since I want to knock out all my allergies, I'm hitting the diet with everything I can find which includes homemade bone broth with ACV, kefir, yogurt and kombucha. Plus some Perfect Food Raw which also includes some probiotics.

I had a friend give me a grape juice kombucha a couple of years ago, and it was too sweet, so I threw it out.

Now I have the GAPS diet book and Nourishing Traditions and today I made my first black tea (earl gray) kombucha with a scoby. I had seen a recipe for it in the NT cookbook. The author said that using white sugar would make it more effective, I don't know.

I'll have to back and read this thread since I don't have a clue about some of the abbreviations you all are using.

In the meantime, I'm using store bought kombucha that doesn't have a scoby in it.

Those scobies are nasty looking; they look like organs. I bet some of them starred in science fiction movies.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1969
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah! It is like being a mad scientist at tmes. I ope your SCOBY was a fresh live one not from a dehydrated source...they don't do well. Whte sugar is the right knd but Earl Greyy tea has iolls in it & your KT (Kombucha) may not do well.

Let us know what abbreviations & we would be happu to answer you.

XX = multiplying
2F = 2nd ferment
3F = 3rd ferment etc
KT = Kombucha Tea

These are some we use a lot....
Hope it helps!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #1970
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Yeah! It is like being a mad scientist at tmes. I ope your SCOBY was a fresh live one not from a dehydrated source...they don't do well. Whte sugar is the right knd but Earl Greyy tea has iolls in it & your KT (Kombucha) may not do well.

XX = multiplying
2F = 2nd ferment
3F = 3rd ferment etc
KT = Kombucha Tea

Hope it helps!
Thanks. It's a great start. And I guess the "G" is grains. The ginger bug and beer sound really awesome. Yeah, the Earl Grey has bergamot in it. I wondered why it smelled so perfumey. I used a fresh, healthy scoby.

I started a kefir using goat's milk.

So much to learn.
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #1971
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gal_amy
WOE: Diabetic Diet
Quote:
I also make a ginger bug & ferment ginger. It is a marvelous drink. I ferment mine until all the sugar is out... Is that the ginger you were interested in?
How do you keep the sugar count low when you are low carbing? I'm diabetic. I have several container's, but have been sceptical about drinking it.
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #1972
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, it's been 7 days and, even though it's slow, the scoby is forming on the top although it's not solid yet. I want to keep the scoby in and ferment it more because I don't want it sweet. I want to flavor it with maybe cherry juice or lime.

Will the acid in the lime kill the fermentation taking place?

When can I add flavorings?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1973
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
How do you keep the sugar count low when you are low carbing? I'm diabetic. I have several container's, but have been sceptical about drinking it.

I think you have to test it for sugar. I know you have to ferment it longer. But, since I'm not the expert, I'll wait with you to hear.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1974
Major LCF Poster!

I am not an expert but will glady pass along what I know....

The acid in the lime will be OK... I have used lemon & ginger & also orange juice... no problem

Add your flavorings AFTER you have reached the point of fermentation (taste) you like & have removed the SCOBY & starter tea.

The sugar count is lowered by the lack of sweetness. The longer the ferment the more sugar is consumed by the fermentation process. When I start KT or GB it is very sweet, like sweet tea & lemonaide... however, the KT will progressively get less sweet as the SCOBY eats the sugar & eventually it will reach an acidic level of 3.0 prox. At that time it is literally out of sugar...you can add a touch to the 2F & it will help to add carbonation if the lid is on very secure.

GB starts out like lemonaide ad as it ferments you can literally smell the change... it will be almost like an alocholic drink (very dry & will have a very low level of alochol) & will at that point be virtually sugarfree because of the fermentation process... it will not be sweet at all & you can put in a plastic pop bottle with a very tight lid. The fermentation process will continue until it is "tight" then refrigerate before opening or you will have a mess on your hands. Of course you can let it ferment til it is less dry...

EVERYTHING IS DONE TO TASTE.... SWEET=MORE SUGAR IN THE FINAL PRODUCT

Hope this helps....

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-08-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1975
Major LCF Poster!

TTFN

TTFN
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #1976
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
Hi everyone, my name is Vickii and I'm trying my little heart out to grow my scoby from a bottle of gt original raw. So its been brewing for 3 weeks now, first week on the counter, now shes in the oven with the light on as a make shift incubator, the nights are getting cold around here. So I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the jar here, but here's a pic

And here is a direct link, that should be a much bigger pic
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1633/imag0327oa.jpg
Now it started really bubbly and a scummy clear film grew over the surface. Now I know that white spot is in fact a tiny scoby. That grew from what I like to call a bottle loogie. Now last week that clear film stuff was thick and jelly like, and moist looking. This week its looking like its drying out. It shrunk a bit cuz I had to move her out of the oven and well my roommates cat felt the need to trip me lol, so she got a little jolt now because I'm really.wanting to brew my own, I feel the need to make a second attempt at.this while baby #1 keeps going. I only have a 1 qt jar and 3 bottles of loogie laced kombucha. So my questions are:
Is baby #1 ok?
How much tea and sugar do I use for a one qt jar, keeping in mind that I want to pour just the top 1/4 of my 3 bottles. (I want to get those loogies into the starter tea)
And can I flavor the remaining unflavored kombucha that's left over in my bottles with say juice, mango fruit or dried ginger? If so for how long and should I pop them into the fridge since they are fully fizzy. Any advice or ideas would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vjsibley; 09-17-2012 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: pic was way to big!
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #1977
Junior LCF Member

Oh and the type of tea I originally used was a cheap $ store brand of Orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea and regular white cane sugar. I uses tap water that I boiled for 30 mins to evaporate the chlorine out of. I have since bought red rose brand tea which is straight black tea and evaporated cane juice sugar. Buying bottled water is not going to happen as I don't have a car and I walk back and forth to the grocery store that's 2 miles away, and I'm afraid my upper body strength is lacking,lol. Thanks again!

Last edited by vjsibley; 09-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: stupid smart phone auto correcting my words with incorrect words lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #1978
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

XX = multiplying
2F = 2nd ferment
3F = 3rd ferment etc
KT = Kombucha Tea

Hope it helps!
Yippie, I was wondering about all these abbreviations too! Thanks!
Another question, I thought we weren't suppose to use earl gray tea or chi tea because they have something in them that could hurt the scoby. Could someone clarify the science behind that for me? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #1979
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Perhaps it could be better asked ... what do you not do with kombucha!

It is interesting. It is a good cleaner too. It works well applied to cuts and scratches on the skin. I've even tried applying it to the underarms as an experiment.

It would seem like it is beneficial to plants as well. There is a whole host of bacteria and other organisms that are normally present on the roots of plants. Many people are completely germ-o-phobic, when in reality, we would die without bacteria and many other organisms.
Oh, I'm so intrigued, how does one clean with kombucha?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #1980

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Use Plain Black, Green or White Tea. Flavored teas have essential oils added to provide flavor, those oils tend to be antibacterial in nature. So you don't want to use Earl Gray, Rose Flavored, Orange Flavored, smoked, herbal, Etcetera. You want PLAIN Unflavored Black, Green or White tea.

Now it's okay to have something like a special breed of tea or varieties of black/green/white, but ifyou want to use a flavored tea, it's be safer to get your brewer going and sacrifice a young scoby to a seperate brew to test it out.

The Cheap Store brand tea you've chosen is probably a great choice if it contains no other ingredients than tea leaves.
Your scoby looks like it's embedded with bubbles, but if it's not green, black or white spots it's probablyokay, nd only looks weird because it is not thick enough to not get distorted with bubbles.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote