Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #1771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought some Synergy brand organic raw kombucha with raw chia seeds, and the texture was amazing because of the chia seeds....nice and crunchy. Tasted really good and has only 4 net carbs per serving. Has anyone tried it before and what do you think?
I don't buy KT any more since I brew my own. Have you started brewing yet? If not we can help you get started then you can experiment with your own flavors.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #1772
Major LCF Poster!

Drinking a bottle of my plain KT I put up mid Sept. It is so fizzy & mellow! Had trouble filling the glass the fiz was way too much! Delishous! Yummmmmmmm!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #1773
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I have not tried it with chia seeds, but it sounds interesting! I might give it a try by adding some for a second ferment.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #1774
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
I don't buy KT any more since I brew my own. Have you started brewing yet? If not we can help you get started then you can experiment with your own flavors.
Thanks! I am not very handy in the kitchen, so I've been kind of afraid to try. Maybe it's not as scary to make kombucha as I think.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I have not tried it with chia seeds, but it sounds interesting! I might give it a try by adding some for a second ferment.
Porcupine, the texture was super. There was a bit of organic cherry juice in the mix, not too sweet, made it really flavorful.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #1776

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Thanks! I am not very handy in the kitchen, so I've been kind of afraid to try. Maybe it's not as scary to make kombucha as I think.
If you can make sweet tea, you can make Kombucha. the scoby is just an extra ingredient. Make Tea, Cool it to room temp, Add Scoby and starter Tea, Cover with cloth, Wait...Enjoy.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Yep! If I can Kombucha at my age, anyone canj just wait til it tastes right to you then drink or bottle with a tight lid (u can use your old GT bottles so don't throw them out just incase we can convince you) with some fruit or flavors- wait again & wnjoy for about 30˘ a bottle. DID THAT Get your interest?

GT was way to costly 4 me so I watched U-Tube videos- I thought if those "stange" people can do this I can. So I bought a big jar of pickles-gave them to grand kids...and the rest is history. Often we have SCOBYs & starter tea we can "gift" to you for poatage so you don't have to buy them.

Have I peaked your interest? Saves me (@ Evansville Indiana prices) including tax $5.01/16oz bottle.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Porcupine, the texture was super. There was a bit of organic cherry juice in the mix, not too sweet, made it really flavorful.
PS: WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART!!! KT will teach you Patience if you haven't learned it well by now! & the health benefits that come along with it are INCREDIBLE!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
If you can make sweet tea, you can make Kombucha. the scoby is just an extra ingredient. Make Tea, Cool it to room temp, Add Scoby and starter Tea, Cover with cloth, Wait...Enjoy.
Quote:
Yep! If I can Kombucha at my age, anyone canj just wait til it tastes right to you then drink or bottle with a tight lid (u can use your old GT bottles so don't throw them out just incase we can convince you) with some fruit or flavors- wait again & wnjoy for about 30˘ a bottle. DID THAT Get your interest?

GT was way to costly 4 me so I watched U-Tube videos- I thought if those "stange" people can do this I can. So I bought a big jar of pickles-gave them to grand kids...and the rest is history. Often we have SCOBYs & starter tea we can "gift" to you for poatage so you don't have to buy them.

Have I peaked your interest? Saves me (@ Evansville Indiana prices) including tax $5.01/16oz bottle.
Quote:
PS: WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART!!! KT will teach you Patience if you haven't learned it well by now! & the health benefits that come along with it are INCREDIBLE!!!
Wow, thank you, ladies, you are so sweet! Definitely looking forward to the health benefits, especially the immunity-boosting part. I am an elementary-school teacher and get bombarded with all kinds of bugs during flu season with all the coughing and sneezing going on all around me.

My bottle of organic kombucha only cost me a dollar because I found an outlet of Whole Foods and Central Market in my town. When something is within 10 days of sell-by date, they send it there, at huge savings. Just yesterday I got a quart of organic cream for $1 and fermented probiotic coconut milk, also $1 for a quart.

With that said, I do want to learn to make my own KT, I bet it is a lot of fun. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 10-30-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #1780
Major LCF Poster!

WOW wish I could find an outlet like that- I would settle for a farmer ( you would have to look back to understand ) Save your GT bottles you will need them!

I just put my experiment into action! I took 1 Tsp of WKG & 1 Tsp of MKG (rinsed) & put them into sweet tea (same ratio as I use for KT & separate jars). I DID NOT add anything else. The two jars are covered & in my brewing area with my hotels, fruit fly trap (yes they are still around) & brewers. I will not move them for a month or so - I have learned to be patient - & will let you know what happens! OBJECT IS : see if a SCOBY FORMS & KT is produced! I only have about 10oz of sweet tea per jar. Thanks for thought to try this Porcupine. You have so mic experimentation going on I thougt I could try this one. DID You EVER GET THIS EXPERIMENT GOING???
Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #1781

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I guess WKG are pretty vigorous fermenters or I'd be worried that there is no PH balancer in you tea ( starter) You are bold. I'm looking forward to the outcome of this.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #1782
Major LCF Poster!

I have WKG in one & MKG in the other. We will see what happens! Wonder what would happen if we put SCOBY in milk ? Hmmmmmm!

Just got 1/2 gal choc milk & put a little more than a teaspoon & a half of my SSMKG mixed with my USTMKG in it. Going to put it directly in fridge for a couple weeks til the carton feels tight... Then I will peek & taste. It is Deans milk so the carton is brown. Get at Dolla General Store down the street from me; cost a few cents more but I don't mind as it is great milk.. I switched to that milk as it sems to kefir better. They bottle in either white or brown containers to keep ligt out. Donno but it does a good job on kefir.

Got a big glass of my KY bottled mid Sept & headed down for a whole afternoon or trim painting! FUN!!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 10-30-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #1783
Major LCF Poster!

You got the experiment going that's great! It will be interesting to see what happens! I didn't get around to starting it. Hm....putting a scoby in milk that would be an interesting experiment!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #1784
Major LCF Poster!

I have kefir grains in 1/2 gal chocolate milk right now. I put it in fridge & will leave there til I feel it build pressure. I am thinking it should be good!

Maybe tomorrow I will take a small piece of SCOBY & put it in about 10oz of milk. Will let you know what happens.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #1785
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob ross
Quote:
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought some Synergy brand organic raw kombucha with raw chia seeds, and the texture was amazing because of the chia seeds....nice and crunchy. Tasted really good and has only 4 net carbs per serving. Has anyone tried it before and what do you think?
Thanks ELiza!..

I make my own KT.. now that i finally learned NOT to make a scoby from the altered Syngery 'enlightened'... as it wont really work well..

I had never heard of Chia seeds.. ( reminds me of the Chia pet! )... bought some from amazon.. Wow.. looks like they pack a good punch in a little seed there.... got a 2 lb bag.. will see long they last ..

- ty - jb.
bob ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #1786
Major LCF Poster!

I really screwed up my kombucha by using sucanat in it. It got so bitter it's not drinkable. So I just emptied them all way down and will be semi-restarting.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #1787
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I really screwed up my kombucha by using sucanat in it. It got so bitter it's not drinkable. So I just emptied them all way down and will be semi-restarting.
I feel so bad! Are you sure it was the succant? You have your mats on the bottom of your CBs & I just read where Hannah said it will eventually mess up the brewers and the taste will be bad. Maybe you have yeast overgrowth. When you rebuild them, run the warmer between & around your brewers. I have my Hannah warmer woven among 3 gallon jars & put a heat pas (old one that doesn't turn off) anchored to the side of my CB - it has a temp guide on the brewer so I can monitor the temp.

Hannah said the yeast overgrowth will not haopen right away when the heat comes from the bottom but it eventually will spoil the taste. Have you already rebuilt?

I would take some from the top & dump everything else from the brewer. Put SCOBY & tea + starter you saved on the top then go from there. But please move your mat to the sife.

I am enjoying some 45+ 2F banana KT! Want a bottle? Come on over! Loke you can do that!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-01-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #1788
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bob ross
Quote:
I think i did something like that when i was doing Keifer..... I didnt for the life of me.. like putting Horrible for you.. Death from above.. White sugar in there.. so i think i used Torbinado (sp?).. and yes was Horrible.. i was on the phone w/ my sister.. think i almost spit it back out..rofls..

Yep.. it took a bit for me.. to fully take in .. that it Truley wasnt for me.. the white sugar.. but the little pals in the fermented drinks that do it all for us! .

GL restarting... i should have some babies soon from a brand new scoby dircetly from Hannah.. if you need one.. just hollar.. all i would ask for is shipping ( im unemployed atm )..
bob ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #1789
Major LCF Poster!

I think it was the sucanat that messed up the taste, because I rotate 4 doz 20 oz swing tops, and I could notice the taste get progressively worse in them. It is swinging the other way now.

I have noticed the 2 brewers I have on top of the refrig in the kitchen stay at about 82F without even needing the heat running, it's just the way the heat rises to that corner of the room I guess. So I may empty those two out completely and restart with my extra Hannah scoby clones and pull the heat mat out from underneath as well. The other 2 brewers are getting back on track now that I emptied them way down and refilled using just the normal sugar I was using before.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #1790
Major LCF Poster!

Porcupine I have seen where people use brown sugar. I am kind of a purest- I use the same kind of sugar ratio of black/green/white tea etc. The only place I change is what I 2F in flavors. Have a batch of raspberry/pineapple going.

Glad you will move your mat! I think it would be a good change.

When my gallons are finished I will do one with cinnamon
stick & fresh apple & one with cranberry fresh orange & cinnamon stick. Will be interesting. Will prolly let them go for 10 days on 2F.

I really like my 30+ day ferments & have so many empty bottles have to batch brew to fill em up!

My WGJKT is on 2F til Thanksgiving! The banana was much better the longer it fermented on 2F.

My Kefir/KT experiment is interesting. WKG seem to be doing nothing yet but the MKG are producing little dots on top like a new baby SCOBY looks after a few days. Nothing I can photo with my phone yet. but I will put on FB when I can get food ones. Hannah clone is finally getting there... will prolly just let it grow for a while- not in a hurry to harvest it.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-02-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ross View Post
Thanks ELiza!..

I make my own KT.. now that i finally learned NOT to make a scoby from the altered Syngery 'enlightened'... as it wont really work well..

I had never heard of Chia seeds.. ( reminds me of the Chia pet! )... bought some from amazon.. Wow.. looks like they pack a good punch in a little seed there.... got a 2 lb bag.. will see long they last ..

- ty - jb.
Sorry you guys, don't mean to threadjack ....just a quick mention.

Let us know how you like them. I think the suggestion is 1oz per day, so they should last a while. I've started placing them in anything liquidy I have. And, last night, they killed my heartburn ...woohoo!

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 11-02-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #1792
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sorry you guys, don't mean to threadjack ....just a quick mention.

Let us know how you like them. I think the suggestion is 1oz per day, so they should last a while. I've started placing them in anything liquidy I have. And, last night, they killed my heartburn ...woohoo!
Eliza I don't know what threadjack is. We are so ankious for more people to jump in and join us. We welcome new ideas! Glad you are here. Where di I get chia seeds...I am not so yoing & need the help of you youngsters to find things- don't have internet either-just my little phone.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #1793

Quote:
Eliza I don't know what threadjack is. We are so ankious for more people to jump in and join us. We welcome new ideas! Glad you are here. Where di I get chia seeds...I am not so yoing & need the help of you youngsters to find things- don't have internet either-just my little phone.
Hi faithful, thank you for the warm welcome! Thread jacking is like highjacking the thread and steering it in a different direction. Which was not my intent but I posted too much about chia seeds on the Kombucha thread.

I got my chia seeds from an online book retailer that nowadays sells everything. I have heard from many people that they have purchased their chia from a health food store or a natural store like Whole Foods. Ljguitar, a poster here, mentioned that he buys his bulk for about $5/

On another note regarding the lack of a computer, have you considered your public library if it is convenient? Tons of computers there and easy to do research....I also sometimes use my phone for posting, but it takes sooooooo long and frustrates me.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 11-02-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #1794
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the tip! We get off trsck here all the time-kinda like we get to know one another as we are on kefir, broth & other threads as well so sometimes we overlap. Chia goes well with KT & fits in! I am going to order some from somewhere today.

Andthe pudding idea! Wow! OK everyone jump to the Chia thread & see what I am talking about!

I live 10 miles out in the country & so even the Library is out. My son & his family are moving in next year & I will have wireless internet & more computers & laptops than this house has ever seen! However, I still have trouble with computers & the net finding stuff. Just the time I get a windows version down my son upgrades & I am lost! (He is my IT guy!)

Thanks for your help! I am on FB faithful to jesus find me !
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #1795
Major LCF Poster!

The chia seeds do sound interesting! Thanks for the update on the MKG/WKG/scoby experiment, it will be interesting to see how it ends up!

My kombucha seems to be back on track. I got the heat mat out from underneath and threaded it between the brewers, so I feel much better about that now. The taste is getting good again now that the sucanat is getting flushed out.

Did you get a laptop faithful? On some phones, you can use the wifi or USB cable to give internet access to your laptop.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #1796

Nice to be here I do broth and kefir, too.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #1797
Major LCF Poster!

No laptop or internet out here-son (IT guy)is working on that for when he moves in. Then I will be "spoiled" & will have to keep it when he moves out. Thanks for asking...my laptop died after 11 years. I miss having a printer to do letters-yes I still use snail mail.

Eliza, what kind of kefir do you do? Jump to our kefir thread & tell us of your adventures & recipies!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #1798
Major LCF Poster!

TODAY'S EXPERIMENT

I put the segments of a small orange, sliced up a Gala apple (same size as orange) dded about 25 cranberries & chopped them on the Ninja. Divided the mixture into 4 parts, froze 3 & added the remainder to 10c of KT with a Ph od 3.1. Then for good measure I tossed in a innamon stick.

This will be a batch ferment for about 7 days til I think about it next weekend. Then I will strain & should net 6 bottles of holiday flavor.

My next will be pumpkin puree & cinnamon stick with fresh ground nutmeg. I will prolly add a touch of brown sugar or pure maple syrup when I bottle.

will let you know in December how they 2F but when I bottle will let you know the taste.

I prolly should put in more fruit mix but since it is finely chopped thougt better a little than a lot. I can always throw more in and 3F for more flavor.

Yummm! Can't waiit but I have learned to!

Finishing stairwell today & moving sauna in place under the stairs! Yeah!j almost finished with trim in Family room-looking good than on to grandson's bedroom-same KY Wildcat colors but much easier painting-should go faster!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #1799
Major LCF Poster!

TODAY'S EXPERIMENT

I put the segments of a small orange, sliced up a Gala apple (same size as orange) dded about 25 cranberries & chopped them on the Ninja. Divided the mixture into 4 parts, froze 3 & added the remainder to 10c of KT with a Ph od 3.1. Then for good measure I tossed in a innamon stick.

This will be a batch ferment for about 7 days til I think about it next weekend. Then I will strain & should net 6 bottles of holiday flavor.

My next will be pumpkin puree & cinnamon stick with fresh ground nutmeg. I will prolly add a touch of brown sugar or pure maple syrup when I bottle.

will let you know in December how they 2F but when I bottle will let you know the taste.

I prolly should put in more fruit mix but since it is finely chopped thougt better a little than a lot. I can always throw more in and 3F for more flavor.

Yummm! Can't waiit but I have learned to!

Finishing stairwell today & moving sauna in place under the stairs! Yeah!! almost finished with trim in Family room-looking good than on to grandson's bedroom-same KY Wildcat colors but much easier painting-should go faster!

Now if I could just get my tractor to start - yes, being obstinate AGAIN! UGH! Leaves all over the place & no way to chop them! Will try after I finish the "art work" this morning!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #1800
Major LCF Poster!

Jun Ferment

OK ~ IBKKF-898, lets see if anyone can help me find something about JUN!

I actually have a culture & starter coming but literally nothing is known about this "magical elixir" except:

Is posed to be only 1000 yrs old
Posed to come from the area around Tibet
Made similar to KT
Made with Hunny (Pooh style)
Made with green tea
Ferments @ cooler temps like kefir
Believed to be bacterial because of colder ferment temp
Is sold mainly on the West Coast
Will produce a SCOBY-like shrom
No one really has a recipe
It is not widly fermented in homes
Does NOT make people sick but has claims greater than KT
Will lend itself to being brewed with herbal teas.

If any of you internet wizzards can find any real information on this- please start a thread. If you are interested (& I know a few of you that will) if I can produce a safe ferment with baby shrooms I will be happy to "gift".

BTW- my stair case is finally finished & the sauna moved into place. Part 1 complete! Yeah!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 11-08-2011 at 06:38 AM..