Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #1651
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Good on gettng some crocks. I'd be happy with a porcelain crock if I hadn't get spoiled having a glass one! I like having a clear view of what's going on, even though nothing bad has happened yet, I feel peeking in is therapeutic for me.

I'm enjoying some ginger kombucha. Last week my brew was ripe so I put some in a GT bottle with a slice of ginger root from the freezer. I let it sit on the counter for a couple of days and then chilled it. It's been at least 3 more days ( lost count) and I just pulled a bottle out to have, while putting a new one in to chill ( cranberry). As I poured over the sink, a drop of Kombucha spilled and the spot started fizzing the way Peroxide fizzes when it is spilled on a germy surface. I marvelled for a moment then went to enjoy my Kombucha. the light yet distinct ginger flavor is very nice and It's much fizzier than my last plain bottle that set on the counter the same amount of time.

I think next time I'll chop the ginger for more surface area. I think I like my new ginger ale. I'm having trouble getting the caps off, maybe the carbonation is pushing against them. Maybe I should go clean out some of my swingtops.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #1652
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
The ginger kombucha sounds good. I just started a gallon doing a 'second ferment' by putting the lid on the gallon glass jar. It might not be the ideal way to do it but that's what I had on hand to work with for right now.

I wanted to get glass but I was having some trouble finding ones on Amazon that had good reviews (many said they leaked), and that had plastic spouts. Some of the higher end ones had brass spouts which I think would be bad in the acidic tea.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #1653

My 2.5 Glass Fermenting jar has a plastic spout. It's hard plastic, food grade, with a rubber gasket to keep it from leaking. I'd not worry about the spout.

I wouldn't want a brass spigot cause I had to polish brash stair rails in my youth and it tarnished me for life har har har Actually , I can't recall if brass is considered a reactive metal. Of the top of my head I'd say no, but I'm kinda goofy right now, so don't trust that guess...

I can't seem to find a glass crock that is smooth and the same shape as the ceramic crocks. Happy Herbalist sold them before but now their glass crock looks short , squat and just stupid IMO. I don't want hammered glass, or stippy decorations or frosted sided, I just want a glass crock where I can see inside and check on things. Ha, My BF won't even look twice at a sun tea jar if it has silly designs on it like fish or santa clause, yeah really I found one with a Santa on it. I guess for egg nog?:dunno

OTOH, some say an opaque brewer protects from light, but my apartment is so dark ( only two windows) , I have no fear!

Last edited by metqa; 09-14-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #1654
Major LCF Poster!

Your jar sounds nice. In the reviews many people said it seemed the curved surface on the glass jars was what didn't let the spout seal too well. I wanted to be able to see inside but I think it will be ok. I can inspect it from the top though that won't be as easy. They had a sun tea jar with watermelons on it, maybe that would work! I hadn't considered the possible tarnishing! I wasn't sure about the brass, but since the pH gets pretty low in the KT I didn't want to chance it.

Now that I realize I probably need a heat mat mat, I'm planning to sit the crocks right next to each other and use the hydrofarm thermostat. I hoped to keep them 4 feet apart since one was going to be for the GT's scoby and one for the large SCOBY you sent me. I'm using a 24 watt reptile tank heater.

Maybe your BF would like this sun tea jar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parrotsunteajar.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #1655
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Herbalist talks about filtering the KT. Does anyone bother with that? It seems like any settlings would be 'good stuff'?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #1656

I don't bother. Whatever comes out of the spigot goes into my bottle or cup. Sometimes a slip of slimy yeast gets in my mouth and I just swallow the tea and pick out the yeast off my tongue. eww, but hey. I'm easy.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #1657
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Filtering? I strsined mine when I did the barch flavoring just now, otherwise when I syphon the 6allon or CB what comes out goes into the bottle. Left long enough you will get "stuff" in it anyway! Just more good things.

Why would you keep them 4' apart? KT can marry next to T. It is DIFFERENT cultures that need to be kept apart for the over all health of the cultures.

My half n' half kefir is great! 18 hours prox. in room then about the same time in fridge. Strained grains cause I forgot how many I put in there put 4 back in then into the fridge til I remembered it. Thick-tart & spreadable.. In a few weeks it should be better.. But I guess I need to go to kefir thread.. BYE!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #1658
Major LCF Poster!

PS will pull some out of CB in 2 days & do ginger with lemon juice.

Metqa- if you run just the cap under hot water it helps to loosen it. Don't know why but it does. Engineer? Got a thought as to why?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #1659
Major LCF Poster!

Ah ok perfect, so I can keep my kombucha crocks next to each other. That's good because they can be more chummy that way. I will put some reflectix insulation underneath the heat pad, the crocks on top, tape the thermostat between the crocks, and wrap the whole thing in reflectix. That should pretty much winter proof it. I think the lid is easier to remove after hot water because it expands when heated. Especially metal lids.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #1660
Major LCF Poster!

GT lids are plastic now guess that applies to that too. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #1661
Major LCF Poster!

That's a great testimonial for kombucha faithful! I really love the stuff. Your various flavorings sound interesting!

My continuous brewer crocks, the second shipment arrived in excellent condition, so it is all set up. Two 2.5 gallon crocks, one using the SCOBY from metqa (thanks metqa!) and the other using the SCOBY I formed using metqa's instructions from GT kombucha.

Underneath the crocks is a 24 watt reptile heater. I'm using the hydrofarm thermostat set at 80F. The silver insulation is Reflectix brand from Home Depot. The grolsch flip top bottles are from Amazon. Thanks for all the help getting this set up!

The water kefir is from faithful. Thanks faithful! Wegmans had immature coconuts yesterday so I got two! They feel really full. But they were $4 each.

I was drinking some kombucha out of one of the gallon jars I had done a second ferment on. It got a thin scoby on top during the second ferment, but it settled to the bottom and I forgot about it. So I was getting near the bottom and that thing got into my mouth. Normally I have a strong stomach, but that one got to me, because it was this long stringy thing the consistency of cold mucous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg continuous-brewers-1.jpg (67.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg secondary-ferment.jpg (44.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg water-kefir.jpg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #1662

Sorry 'bout that Porcupine! Snort
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1663
Major LCF Poster!

Yes I remembered right away as soon as that slimy cold blob got into my mouth! I almost swallowed some of it. I really don't know what would have happened then, because it would have been way too long to swallow in one gulp.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #1664
Major LCF Poster!

I cant help it! But I can definitely relate!

I am reminded of the missionary who on his 1st tour found a bug in his food - he threw the food out. 2nd tour- he took the bug out. 3rd tour ATE THE BUG TOO!

Can't tell you how many times that has happened! I guess I am on my 3rd tour! I wonder if those little SCOBYs are growing in my tummy!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #1665
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry I am still in stitches!!!!

I remember the 1st time that happened to me with a bottle of GT. Thought I would but had read about it so I wasn't too grossed out!

@you have a nice warm setup, Porcupine! I can relate to all the goings on. If you keep a solid lid in your WKG they will nuzzle up with the KT OK - no cross contamination! If you let the WKG go just 24 then transfer to Flip lid bottles with a touch of juice or a couple berries, they should carbonate highly for you! Maybe 3s4 days - be sure to chill B4 opening! Sometimes I loose 1/4 of a bottle if I am not careful. But I really like concentrated herbal tea cooled then add WK to taste. Nice way to sweeten cold hermal teas & make them healthier.

Hi Metqa! Are you ready for WKG yet! I will be mailing some next week & can put your name on some!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-23-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #1666
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks faithful! I have them in their third quart of sugary water. I want to put some in the coconut water next. I tried some of the sugar water after 24 hours and it was good but still a bit sweet. For the secondary ferment then in the flip top bottles are you saying to go 3-4 days on that? I got some ginger to try adding, and some limes, and I have some berries I can try. Just started the 10 gallon broth pot going tonight as I ran out of bone broth!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #1667
Major LCF Poster!

You only need a small amt for a wuart so as they grow-u can make a half or whole gallon. I am ready to ship more out I am back uo to 2 cups & if I try a quart wouldn't have much kefir.

you can out some in fridge it you have too many-put them in sugar water but they will kefir like the MK do in the fridge so be sure to feed them occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Thanks faithful! I have them in their third quart of sugary water. I want to put some in the coconut water next. I tried some of the sugar water after 24 hours and it was good but still a bit sweet. For the secondary ferment then in the flip top bottles are you saying to go 3-4 days on that? I got some ginger to try adding, and some limes, and I have some berries I can try. Just started the 10 gallon broth pot going tonight as I ran out of bone broth!
Oh Man! I can't go through that much stuff, but then I am way older & not as active! I still think 33 but my body is 2X that! UGH!

A combo of ginger & lime would be terrific. You have to play with quantities so I would try 1 bottle @ a time til you figure it out. Berries In either KT or WK usually 4-5 big or 6-7 smaller ones work. Blueberries & peaches should be crushed pr pureed... Try some jams for those as the flavor is more concentrated.

just felt like putting in a funny face!

I find a 4-5 day ferment on most 2nd is enough to pull out the flavor & nutrients (I guess on them as the fruit is usually white in color). You can either chill & enjoy or shelf for a while.

Fruit can stay long term in KT but NOT in Kefir- & I am not sure how long kefir keeps wekk on the shelf...mine disappears really fast! Maybe Doms site has it & you can find it & post 4 us sometime so we will all know. I can email rhe lady I got these from & ask jer tomorrow.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-24-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #1668
Major LCF Poster!

SCOBY & 3rd tour of duty!

Didn't think a 6 day 2nd ferment with 4 blackberrys on a GT bottle would produce a blackberry baby but it slithered down before I realized it. I must have a happy tummy right now! Wonder what happens to it in the digestive juices... Hmmmmmmmm
Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #1669
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hello Just popping in to say my WGJ brew is scrumptious!!! Boy, oh boy!!! It is what I had hoped for, tastes similar to champagne. Nice and fizzy. I started it on Aug. 25, so it took a full month to ferment to perfection. I will bottle some up today and then add more juice. Now that I know it tastes good I can add juice in a more timely matter to continuous brew it!!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #1670
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Hello Just popping in to say my WGJ brew is scrumptious!!! Boy, oh boy!!! It is what I had hoped for, tastes similar to champagne. Nice and fizzy. I started it on Aug. 25, so it took a full month to ferment to perfection. I will bottle some up today and then add more juice. Now that I know it tastes good I can add juice in a more timely matter to continuous brew it!!

Happy it was a success!

But we what you did!

Please post recipe & exactly what you did so we can try it here...lid on/off how much WGJ/water etc. I am sure we would like to try because my purple was awful!

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #1671
Major LCF Poster!

Nice work on your brews everyone! Faithful maybe swallowing the scoby would be like those stories where a watermelon starts growing in a person's stomach!

I just had my first bottle of my secondary fermented KT in a flip top bottle. It was very good! Definitely going to continue this brewing process with the continuous brewers!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #1672

Okay, so i've been doing 2ndF in the GT bottles with plastic lids... and I can't get the darned lids off. this is the second time. maybe they are so pressurized but seriously! I want to get at that cranberry 2F it looks so good. it's So Red and the berries have turned white and sunk to the bottom.

I just bought a pound of ginger, I'm gonna have some fun. I can't wait for cranberry season to come again soon. I missed blue berry picking but I bought a pomegranate today. wonder if that'll make a good 2F?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #1673
Major LCF Poster!

Run just the top plastic top under hot water for a few seconds. Helps me get them off. I use channel locks to grab the tops to put on & off cause of my hands but it might help you too! Best luck!

Hmmmm! I have cranberries frozen from last season. Never thought of tossing some in. How many do you put in a GT bottle? How long 2nd ferment?

Left you a voice mail re this

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-25-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #1674

Hi, my phone is dead.

I don't know yet if 4 whole cranberries, cut up , was enough for 16 oz, but once I get it open I'll let you know. it was enough to visibly color the liquid noticicably pink
Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #1675
Major LCF Poster!

The fruity additions sound really tasty!

I accidentally left one of my continuous brewers uncovered for 24 hours. Should I be concerned? I don't want any mold or anything nasty to start growing in there.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #1676
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Happy it was a success!

But we what you did!

Please post recipe & exactly what you did so we can try it here...lid on/off how much WGJ/water etc. I am sure we would like to try because my purple was awful!

Thanks!
I used 2 cans white grape juice concentrate and 2 gals. water (approx. it was soooo sweet I kept adding more water. My container is 3 gal. and it was about 2/3 full). I used the scoby from my CB. I tried to separate a layer but she was a bit resistant to that so I just plopped the whole scoby in. Covered w/ handkerchief/rubberband. It's just sitting on my counter. 1 month later, perfection!! I plan to bottle about 1/2 and then add 1 new can WGJ/water. I hope it doesn't take as long to ferment! I may be drinking this up pretty quickly!!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #1677
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
The fruity additions sound really tasty!

I accidentally left one of my continuous brewers uncovered for 24 hours. Should I be concerned? I don't want any mold or anything nasty to start growing in there.
Don't worry unless you are invaided by fruit flies like I am!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #1678
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
I used 2 cans white grape juice concentrate and 2 gals. water (approx. it was soooo sweet I kept adding more water. My container is 3 gal. and it was about 2/3 full). I used the scoby from my CB. I tried to separate a layer but she was a bit resistant to that so I just plopped the whole scoby in. Covered w/ handkerchief/rubberband. It's just sitting on my counter. 1 month later, perfection!! I plan to bottle about 1/2 and then add 1 new can WGJ/water. I hope it doesn't take as long to ferment! I may be drinking this up pretty quickly!!
Will try this on a 1can/1gallon ratio in a gallon jar this week. Maybe by Nov it should be good! Thanks! Will let you know - suppose it was Welches or some other PURE WGJ? . Porcupine you up for the challenge?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-26-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #1679
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Will try this on a 1can/1gallon ratio in a gallon jar this week. Maybe by Nov it should be good! Thanks! Will let you know - suppose it was Welches or some other PURE WGJ? . Porcupine you up for the challenge?
I believe it was white grape juice cocktail. I couldn't find any 100% grape juice. So, yes, HFCS, but hopefully my gal ate it all up!! What do you think? Is it still a healthy brew?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #1680
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't worry unless you are invaided by fruit flies like I am!
Thanks faithful! I have seen a few around, but it was more when I was making sauerkraut. I haven't seen them near the KT.

Hm...a kombucha brewing challenge using fruit juices? Sounds interesting! I might give it a try. I think my next 'project' is going to be trying some of the advanced kefir techniques I have seen on Dom's site, specifically around second fermentation to reduce lactose. I'd also like to try making a batch of his 'kefirchi', (kimchi using kefir grains instead of whey).

I have seen some organic juices in glass bottles in the 'health' section of the supermarket that I have used in past for brewing small batches of wine. They work as long as they contain absolutely no preservatives. Usually they have been pasteurized.

Last edited by porcupine73; 09-26-2011 at 08:27 AM..