Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #1621
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Great thanks faithful! I just didn't want to let it go too long! I will wait more days and try it again. I have 3 other gallons brewing now so far! Do you label yours with what date you started it to keep track of them?

The Tibetan grains I think are doing OK. They XX'd a little bit. They're in the second pint of
milk to 'clean up'. Then I'll try them in a 1/2 gallon or so to see how it is.
I used to label bottles but now just start dates on frementers & what kind of tea if out of
ordinary. Used to label bottles but now I just put oldest up front & don't care what flavor or plain- just KT I'd good.

still pooped going to bed NIGHT ALL!!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #1622
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Ok thanks for the info! Good night!

Q about kombucha fizziness: does the homemade kombucha get fizzy at all (like soda)? The GT's I got at the store was very fizzy but I wasn't sure if that was natural or if they added the carbonation?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #1623
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info! Good night!

Q about kombucha fizziness: does the homemade kombucha get fizzy at all (like soda)? The GT's I got at the store was very fizzy but I wasn't sure if that was natural or if they added the carbonation?
KT is naturally carbonated like beer. If you remember the bubbles were tiny & you could feel them on your throat. It is that way after 1st ferment but it increases on the second whether it is flavored or not. There are a few tricks to increase carbonation on 2nd ferment & 1 is to add a tad of sugar for the bacteria & yeast to eat another is leave little head space. Will post something when I am @ computer or read through the original 27 pages and see all they did... Good dnight again, Grasshopper ~ OOPS! , Procupine
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #1624
Major LCF Poster!

Ok thanks for the info! I'll have to dig back through the original posts. I'll pass on the grasshoper, chocolate covered or otherwise, for now haha!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #1625
Major LCF Poster!

Today is the 6th, I think...

Porcupine, how is the KT going? Got your fizz factor yet?
J4Christ, WGJ... anything going on yet?

I put up 2 1ltr bottles of Coconut WK in my swing top bottles for a 2nd ferment.
Got up to find one of them had burst out the side. Cleaned up the mess from what was aparently very great carbonation and a defective bottle & refirgerated the other.
Today, after it was cold I opened it to taste.

VERDICT??? I didnt think it was worth losing a 1 ltr swing top bottle over. It is probably very healthy and I drink all my mistakes... so when it is finished I will not be doing that again. It is probably very good... just not what I wanted... didnt have much coconut flavor... Maybe I will go to WM & get some coconut flavoring to put in it... Hmmmmm.....
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #1626
Major LCF Poster!

The coconut WK sounds nice! I haven't noticed any fizz yet, but my first original gallon of KT with the huge scoby is doing well. I think it's just about done. It doesn't taste at all sweet anymore which is the way I wanted it. I have five more gallons of KT brewing with pieces of the 'second' SCOBY I took off. I peeled the whole second SCOBY and used it in 2 gallons, and within a couple days it had grown ANOTHER second scoby that was quite thick! It is very active stuff!

I spent quite a bit of time making saurkraut and kimchi over the weekend, will have to see how it turns out, it's my first time making it and I did a bit over 12 quarts. I used whey so it will be lactofermented.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #1627
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The coconut WK sounds nice! I haven't noticed any fizz yet, but my first original gallon of KT with the huge scoby is doing well. I think it's just about done. It doesn't taste at all sweet anymore which is the way I wanted it. I have five more gallons of KT brewing with pieces of the 'second' SCOBY I took off. I peeled the whole second SCOBY and used it in 2 gallons, and within a couple days it had grown ANOTHER second scoby that was quite thick! It is very active stuff!

I spent quite a bit of time making saurkraut and kimchi over the weekend, will have to see how it turns out, it's my first time making it and I did a bit over 12 quarts. I used whey so it will be lactofermented.
Hmmm... I love my kimchi... didnt lacto it, just followed the recipe I found on UTube.... it was way good. I made some with just the radish & think I will use that as a base next time so I can chop it fine & add spices, napa cabbage, onions, green onions & leave out the fish sauce so it wont be quite as salty.

I have too much stuff in the refer right now... I finally got the Kefir to fizz and have some with root beer flavor in it on 2nd brew... I want to get it right before I send it to kids...

Wasnt happy with the coconut as it did not have much flavor... just enough fizz to break a bottle ... $4 in the trash in a hurry.... OH WELL! We never know do we .... at least there was not a lot of sugar to clean up

I have MK hanging out in a cloth covered strainer right now... makes real nice what I call cream cheese.... and you can use the whey for so many things including a rinse for you hair and a skin softener... either.... apply leave on for a few minutes and rinse... never a drop of whey goes to waste... freeze it into cubes for smoothies etc...

Have a good day.... got to go check on grandma.... bye
Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #1628
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds nice! I hope grandma is doing alright. Hm the kefir cream cheese sounds very good! I am going to have to try that. Plus the whey will be better than what I am extracting from yogurt right now.

It looks like the Tibetan grains are working (I think). They do taste differently than the other grains. They seem to work a little more slowly and leave a slightly sweet taste (unless maybe it just didn't process all the lactose). So if you'd like some after they XX a bit more I can send some out!

I didn't actually use any fish sauce in my kimchi, and I didn't have any hot peppers either. But I did use red and green cabbage, carrots, radishes, those little onions, ginger and garlic. I chopped everything, added some whey, pounded it and let it sit 30 minutes and pounded it again, then packed it tight into quart jars. The book I was using then said to 'cover tightly'. Well fortunately some of the mason lids gave way before they exploded.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #1629
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've been forcibly offline for the past week. Faithful, thanks for answering Porcupine in my absence. I restarted my batch a day or two before I sent the scobys and only 3 days ago did my kombucha get less sweet and the next day it had a good fizz. Now I did cheat a bit and added a bit of store kombucha to it before the weekend. I had a couple ounces left in the bottle and just poured it in. Not siure if it made any difference but it did take a long time to restart with the hotel scobys. They've been dormant for some months. My Kombucha tasted less sweet that the bottle stuff and almost as fizzy from the tap. I put some into a 16 oz bottle and make 16 oz of tea to replenish. two days later it was just about right again, so I filled another 16 oz and refilled with 16 oz of fresh sweet tea.

That's the way I wanted to do my continuous but I was too lazy before!

Now that it's going, I like the level of sweetness and fizz so I'm more motivated to keep it going.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #1630
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah! Metqa got her puter up! We missed her!

I finally got my CB full! I have added 6 cups each week til I got it there. New baby is as thick as momma but KT is still sweet & mellow cause of the egg shells. Took them out... Only the brown outsided of the shells were left. I will drink my CA from Kefir don't need it in my KT

Metqa, you finally got the brewer going to your liking. I have 3 gallons & the CB going. Need to put some up for the cold months & may have to get a warmer for CB as my house struggles to stay70 in winter.

The fruit flies finally found me! Horrors! I have 2 traps for them & they are almost all collected. Guess I was fortunate they tok so long too fing my brew. Didn't happen til I took them to the kitchen. Moved them after the Coconut Kefir popped the bottle.

Does anyone know or can you google if they live during winter in cold climates (KY) or are they a summer thing. Appreciate the help of you computer grus!

Bed is calling. Nite all!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #1631
Major LCF Poster!

Glad your computer is working again metqa!

What is it about staying above 70F? Does KT not brew properly below that? I'll have that same problem in the winter, when it gets really cold out my 1850's uninsulated house struggles to stay in the 60's sometimes and that is with three gas space heaters running.

Fruit flies!!! oh no...I haven't seen any of those yet but I am sure they will be coming with all this brewing.

I looked around a little for fruit flies and winter. It seems the consensus is while the flies themselves (or fungus gnats, which look a lot like fruit flies) cannot live in freezing weather, their eggs seem to make it through freezing weather unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05502.html
Pomace or vinegar flies are among the smallest flies found in homes. They usually are light brown and may be marked with bright red eyes. These small "fruit flies" most often are found hovering around overly ripe fruit. Fermenting materials, such as leftover beer or soft drinks, also are a favorite food. Populations tend to be greatest in late summer and early fall as they infest fruits during the harvest season.
eta: Hey on Amazon I was looking for fruit fly traps, and someone posted they made a very effective one from a jar with some pencil size holes poked in the lid, and apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Said it works very well. Something about you could use a spice jar too, that has those little shaker holes in it.

Last edited by porcupine73; 09-09-2011 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: trap
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #1632
Major LCF Poster!

FRUIT FLY TRAPS

One of the best is a pop bottle- the kind with a long neck (worth buying one for the bottle)- cut it at the spot where it just starts to straighten. Invert the top into the bottom. The knec should extend well into the bottom. Tape the 2 pieces completely around the top where they fit together-leave no gaps for flys to escape. Pour KT into it almost up to the mouth of the inverted neck maybe 1/8". Set it out & watch them flock to it.

You could use a piece of fruit but the KT will last longer & smell better. The flies die & drip in - kinda gross!

The flat shaker things don't work too well cause they can crawl out! You can also make a paper funnel but be sure the opening is very small cause they crawl out of that too- I know from experience.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #1633
Major LCF Poster!

Great thanks for the tip! I should probably set one of these up as a preemptive measure. I know when I used to grow wheatgrass probably 10 years ago I did end up with quite a few little flies around.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #1634

I'm drinking GT's kombucha from a bottle I found in the back of my fridge with a sell by date sometime in 2010...

IT'S AWESOME!!!!! The flavor is barely sweet, the fizz is kickin, it's just the way I like it. I told y'all I was weird. I started drinking them from the store fridge at first but then found a case that had been left out of the fridge, lost, for a few months. My boss told me to pour them down the drain, but I took them home instead. I liked the flavor of the ripened Kombucha more than the fresh on the shelves one. It's almost like champagne, the color is lighter, its not so sweet, and the bubbles are killer! I'll probably have to second ferment in bottles to get that effect from my brewery.

I'm in heaven right now. I should just buy bottles of kombucha and stash them in a closet for a year for a treasure find later.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #1635
Major LCF Poster!

Nice! I didn't know it would last that long. Is it the 'green'? That's the one I have been getting at the grocery to tide me over until these batches are ready. It is really bubbly. You might have found a new market for aged kombucha! Wild Fermentation says many fermented products get better when they aged in a cool place for a long time, that it melds the flavors in unique and delicious ways.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #1636

No it's the regular plain one. But I love the Green the Best also!!! I wonder what I'd add to make my own green kombucha. I know it's spirulina, and some blue green algea. I wonder what I could add, would powdered work, or capsules, or does it have to be alive and growing?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #1637
Major LCF Poster!

Hm...good question. I think the green also has chlorella in it. I would think it would make the best flavor if it were fermented right along with the tea, so the flavors can all mix. Because things like chlorella don't really taste all that good naturally. The G.T.'s green is what I made my other scoby out of by pouring it in a jar like you said and waiting a week.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #1638

Quote:
Hm...good question. I think the green also has chlorella in it. I would think it would make the best flavor if it were fermented right along with the tea, so the flavors can all mix. Because things like chlorella don't really taste all that good naturally. The G.T.'s green is what I made my other scoby out of by pouring it in a jar like you said and waiting a week.
Oh, How interesting. I wonder if I put the green stuff in the bottle and then add Kombucha and let it do a second ferment.

I wonder if the chlorella has to be living? or if dried powder would still work...
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #1639
Major LCF Poster!

Oh ok now I understand. I wonder if chlorella could survive the acidic KT? I wonder if there is anyplace that sells live chlorella and algae.

Does the caffeine stay in the KT after it is brewed? I am guessing it does? I drank a good quart of the first batch right before bed a few days ago and then started to feel really lively a while later and thought..uh oh probably the caffeine!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #1640

I had heard that some of the caffeine is digested but some is left. but I had no data to back up that claim. Also some of the amino acids and other acids produced could cause a mind altered effect of feeling really good. BF looked that up. I used to use decaffienated tea but at one point I was gifted a box of family size bags and they were regular so I'm using them. I don't drink added caffienated beverages so any in the Kombucha would have a good strong effect on me.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the chlorella surviving the Kombucha! I guess it doesn't have to be alive since the dried stuff is supposed to still be healthy. Hmm. great questions Porcupine!
ETA:

Found this comment on a blog:
Quote:
Re: Chlorella, I actually use chlorella powder (not tablets), by "NOW", one pound for Can $58.-, should be cheaper in the U.S. I have seen another brand being advertised,for less money, they also sell larger quantities ( 1 kg), but I have not found it here in Canada.
I personally am more successful with the powder than with the tablets.Another person I know who used the tablets before, has had the same experience.
and this on a separate blog (I won't link cause they sell stuff)
Quote:
Spirulina & Chlorella Infused, Green As All Hell, Kombucha Tea
Tim just hooked up the Ultra Green Assault Kombucha. With approximately 2 tablespoons of both spirulina and chlorella this kombucha is a delicious, extra healthy blend. It’s really late and I’m really tired so I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.
the picture looks like they use Wide Mouth Quart Mason Jars, Don't know if they add the greens in the first or if they are second ferment.

Upon further inspection, I see they have a paper towel over the bottle so it may be the original ferment since most folks second ferment to gain fizz as well with a sealed bottle.

Last edited by metqa; 09-09-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #1641
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting.

Quote:
Also some of the amino acids and other acids produced could cause a mind altered effect of feeling really good
I thought I had noticed that when I drink a good amount of the KT, now I know it's not just in my head, well it is in my head, you know what I mean.

I might have to try adding the chlorella. I have a couple 1kg jugs of Jarrow chlorella. The stuff doesn't taste bad, but it can have a certain ocean/lake taste to it. I was reading somewhere the cell walls on the chlorella have to be broken such as by running through a mill for it to really be absorbable.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #1642

Quote:
Interesting.

I thought I had noticed that when I drink a good amount of the KT, now I know it's not just in my head, well it is in my head, you know what I mean.

I might have to try adding the chlorella. I have a couple 1kg jugs of Jarrow chlorella. The stuff doesn't taste bad, but it can have a certain ocean/lake taste to it. I was reading somewhere the cell walls on the chlorella have to be broken such as by running through a mill for it to really be absorbable.
Oh Yeah, I remember that now! So we couldn't grow our own chlorella! Oh well, I thought it had no taste the couple of times I tasted it, and it was like a green powdered crystal. really pretty. the other stuff was more like green powder. I need to see if I have any in my stash or else I'll have to make a HealthFood Store run. Or maybe I'll wait for the Porcupine Guinea Pig to report back...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #1643

Another blog post that clarifies a persons experience with spirulina in first and second ferment.
Quote:
chris karoshi
June 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM

It works fine in a second fermentation but it doesn’t bode well withour SCoBYs.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1644
Major LCF Poster!

I have plain in 1 ltr bottles waiting til I need them. Will keep doing that until all 11 are full then will do the 12 16oz swing tops I am going to get. Plan on doing the cobalt dozen too. A I always have my 14 GT bottles. My plan- get them all full for winter & drink out of CB daily.

I want to batch flavoe a gallon if black berry or raspberry then bottle. Maybe I will do this with one of the gallon brewers I have going now.

Have fun everyone- been a long day @ Menards getting paint, wall paper, sink tops etc... Thanking Jesus for the energy from the KT! Going to bed... Good nite all!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #1645
Major LCF Poster!

Batch Flavoring

I did batch flavoring this last go round.

Put in a guestimate amount of berries & juice based on what I had been using for 16oz. Add KT to the brom & put the real top on snuggly. 2 (?) days in & I am IMPRESSED! Berries are fermenting & floating on top-they are getting whiteish in color & the color/flavor is going into the KT. Tasted & it is yummy.

I prefer blackberry & raspberry (only way I like raspberry in KT & MK). The one with the combo frozen concentrate juice is bubbly on top.

I stir them daily. In about 5 days (& I say that cause I didn't remember the date I really did this) I will strain & bottle. I may put 1/2 tsp sugar /16oz to assure carbonation in final product. This is so easy I may never bottle flavor again unless I want to experiment but I have kinda settled into a comfort zone with flavors-plain, BBerry & RBerry are what makes my tummy happy.

Just pasing it along! My CB is doing well! Thanks, Metqa! I actually drew 3 bottles out & replaced a day or so ago. Nice to draw a glass a day & don't have to open a bottle. I must be getting too much going on my plate if I am too tired to open a bottle. Nice to be tired from doing things and not from fibro haunting my body.

I must start writing things down can't remember little things cause I have so muc going on... But my rememberer isn't broken any more...OK a little rusty still but better.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #1646
Major LCF Poster!

Yikes! I will double check mine, actually it should be just about done. I 'borrowed' the baby SCOBY off the top for a new batch and I didn't notice anything green on it. There was quite a bit of green settlings in the bottom of the original jar where I poured the GT's to make the first baby from it.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1647
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yikes! I will double check mine, actually it should be just about done. I 'borrowed' the baby SCOBY off the top for a new batch and I didn't notice anything green on it. There was quite a bit of green settlings in the bottom of the original jar where I poured the GT's to make the first baby from it.

I think hers is mold because of the tea & sugar.
I don't think you have to worry because she said it was fuzzy & that should have been a clue for me... Fuzz in KT is MOLD!

The green settling on the bottom indicates to me that it was prolly powder that was added then the KT leached the color etc from it.

got to go back to the puppy job... Bye!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-13-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #1648
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds good! I'm reading about the kombucha second fermentation with the air lock. I think I missed it.... do you leave the SCOBY in the tea during the second fermentation?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1649
Major LCF Poster!

Got it thanks! Yes I was reading it at Happy Herbalists. Now that I have learned about the continuous brewer, that is what I want to move to instead of all my separate one gallon jars. Thanks for the tip on the antibacterial soap. I do not use antibacterial soaps already because triclosan is a known toxin. The swing top bottles sound neat, I will have to look around!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #1650
Major LCF Poster!

I ordered a couple of 2.5 gallon lead free porcelain water crocks with plastic spigots for my continuous brewers. I will probably need to get the little 'seedling' heat mats too as soon it will be well under 75F in my house for about 6 months.