Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #1561
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
y'know those cotton cooking sacks, or those gauzy wedding bags with the ribbon string ought to work to hold the shells. and yeah, the calcium leaches from the eggs due to the acidity. So you 'll want some way to pull the soggy rubbery bits out!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #1562
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Thanks, Metqa! New we have a way to make a healthy drink healthier!

With WK the grains use the calcuim as they like the minerals; my understanding in WK it does nothing for the Kefir.

Sweet dreams all!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #1563
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Love your siggy too!

Pain relief? From drinking it or applying the scoby topically or both? I have heard the scobies are wonderful topical healing therapies for many things!

I did hhcg most of last year and lost about 50 lbs & 44 inches total. Tried it this year and it didn't work much. Go figure! Guess that last 50 lbs doesn't want to leave home!! Hoping you much success with it!
Wow! 50 lbs. is awesome. I thought I remembered you from somewhere. I did hcg last year, too (except I gained it all back) I'm having a tough time this year, I already blew it yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Ok, I just started one using a bottle of GT's organic raw kombucha in a 1/2 gallon ball jar! I can't wait to be a scoby dady! I ironed a white t-shirt front and back and used that to cover the jar.
I added my store bought bottle of KT to my sweetened brewed tea so that I'd already have a big batch of KT when Miss Scoby arrived. And it is yummo!

Thanks, Faithful, for all the info on the healing properties, calcium and how tos of KT!! You are a wealth of information.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #1564
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: To Be Determined
There's one u tube vid of a dude with a GIANT batch of boocha and the biggest scoby I've ever seen. [Reminds me of those giant jellyfish! LOL]

I haven't watched it since last year sometime, but it should still be there. It's a real kick to watch! It's in two parts.

UPDATE: Just checked and it's still there ... it's uploaded by instructablestv.

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-22-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #1565
Major LCF Poster!

j4Christ~ Thank you, just passing along what I learn.

I started my first scoby like you did, in tea... Then Val told me about straight KT &it worked. Made a ceamier, denser more viable scoby that produces better babies & smoother KT.

I have a few I started this way & can comapre them to the others that were started originally with tea. The KT only takes longer but I think results are worth it.

Selahgal-let me know when pkg arrives
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #1566

Porcupine, Faithful
the scobys are on their way. Should arrive on the 24th.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #1567
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Porcupine, Faithful
the scobys are on their way. Should arrive on the 24th.
Woohoo! Thanks so much for being willing to send them out! I guess I better pick up some black tea and sugar to be ready.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1568
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Woohoo! Thanks so much for being willing to send them out! I guess I better pick up some black tea and sugar to be ready.
Metqa, Thank you!

Sandy called this morning, MK coming my way..
After they rest a few I will get some out to you.

"Gifting" is so much fun!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #1569
Major LCF Poster!

Got the 2 BEAUTIFUL scobies in the mail today! They sprang a leak, but the post office sealed the entire container and I still had plenty of tea in each bag! They are now in their new home, my continuous brew jar! I even took a pix for yaz:

The kombucha is on the right [I lifted up the mesh cover so you could see the babies], my water kefir is behind that [both continuous brewing in 1/2 gallon mason jars] and the Fuze bottle contains my 'second brew swig-when-I-want-to' water kefir.

HAPPY CAMPER HERE!!!!

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-22-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #1570
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Got the 2 BEAUTIFUL scobies in the mail today! They sprang a leak, but the post office sealed the entire container and I still had plenty of tea in each bag! They are now in their new home, my continuous brew jar! I even took a pix for yaz:

[IMG]

The kombucha is on the right [I lifted up the mesh cover so you could see the babies], my water kefir is behind that [both continuous brewing in 1/2 gallon mason jars] and the Fuze bottle contains my 'second brew swig-when-I-want-to' water kefir.

[IMG]
HAPPY CAMPER HERE!!!!

COOL! A thanks for the pict! Happy Brewing!

I will triple bag when I send anything again!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-22-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #1571

I triple bag also. Usually two freezer strength bags and one regular zipper pouch bag for extra measure. I often add starter liquid so I have to be sure it all arrives so the new scoby parent doesnt' have to use vinegar to get started.

Faithful, i didn't add a much liquid to your scoby since you are just using it to diversify your batch. just enough to keep it wet during transport. about half a cup.

Porcupine, I added a full cup of strong Kombucha to your bag, so don't let it spill with you take it out. Pour that strong liquid into your sweet tea and float the scoby in it and that's all you'll need to start that batch.
How's the commercial started brew coming?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 08-22-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #1572
Major LCF Poster!

Star Anise

Tried something- would have been good it I had only used 1 or 2 petals.

Put a whole star into 16oz KT. Good but way too strong. Had to dump it

I never used it before except to make Spiced Chi.

BTW - ANYONE INTERESTED IN STARTING A THREAD JUST DEDICATED TO MILK & WATER KEFIR? Ya know, techniques of brewing & flavoring?
If so come up with a creative title & let us know so we can find it. Then we can keep this for KT & another for Kefir. What do you think?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-22-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #1573
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks metqa, I picked up some black tea today and have some sugar so I should be ready when it arrives! The commercial brew is in a 1/2 gallon ball jar. It looks like quite a bit of stuff settled to the bottom of the jar but I don't see a whole lot going on up top. I also tried making some beet kvass but I'm not sure if it is actually brewing.

Quote:
BTW - ANYONE INTERESTED IN STARTING A THREAD JUST DEDICATED TO MILK & WATER KEFIR?
Definitely interested! Thread started!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Metqa, Thank you!

Sandy called this morning, MK coming my way..
After they rest a few I will get some out to you.

"Gifting" is so much fun!
Well, how do you like this! A lady I emailed on a kefir exchange board has responded! I'm so surprised. But now that you've offered to send me some, should I tell her I no longer need it? She's the one I told you was like over an hours drive away.

I'm gonna thank her for responding and say I don't need them after all.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #1575
Major LCF Poster!

When it rains it pours!

Sandy's should be here Wed...I will put them in mikl when they get here & let them rest (or work) in fresh milk til Fri or Sat Then mail to you! I kinda need to see how long the scoby takes to get here. Which day of the week should I shoot for on delivery to your mail box? You can PM me.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #1576
Major LCF Poster!

I am so excitedGuess what I scored yesterday????? I found a 3 gal. glass container w/ a heavy duty metal spigot and it doesn't leak. I found it at an antique store (it's not an antique, though). It's really pretty. If I knew how to post pics I would. I got my white grape juice brew started in it. Will let you know how it goes!!

BTW-I thought I'd add what I use for my jar covering just in case your granny doesn't live near by...I use DH's handkerchiefs-UNUSED!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #1577
Major LCF Poster!

I am so excitedGuess what I scored yesterday????? I found a 3 gal. glass container w/ a heavy duty metal spigot and it doesn't leak. I found it at an antique store (it's not an antique, though). It's really pretty. If I knew how to post pics I would. I got my white grape juice brew started in it. Will let you know how it goes!!

BTW-I thought I'd add what I use for my jar covering just in case your granny doesn't live near by...I use DH's handkerchiefs-UNUSED!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #1578
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry! I was so excited I double posted!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #1579

Congrats on a great find!!! Handkerchiefs are a great cover!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #1580
Major LCF Poster!

Nice score! Those are good to use as cream separators too I was reading.

Do you guys iron your handkerchiefs or cover material before using? One book said something about doing that to make sure any mold spores or anything on the cloth is dead?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #1581
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Do you guys iron your handkerchiefs or cover material before using? One book said something about doing that to make sure any mold spores or anything on the cloth is dead?
I love the big hanky idea! I bought a package of two of those mesh strainer bags. I think they were in the canning section. Not real sure what they are used for tho, but they work great to cover the kombucha.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #1582
Major LCF Poster!

Terrific find! I guess When I go to Indiana I need to spend some time brousing in the "antique/junk" stores. I HATE shoping but this gives me purpose to look... Someone is always looking for a good brewer really inexpensive. This may become my new hobby!

I guess by now we are all washing our egg shells to hang in our brewers! I am!

I just read some books on calcuim & acid alkaline bodies. One recommends adding calcium like milk kefir & yogurt daily & the others said to DRINK KOMBUCHA AT EVERY MEAL to help balance the acidic foods we eat. So I guess that is what I will do, inaddition to my bottle in the morning!

And now that I am "drinking" my egg shells I may be good to go.
I have an interesting post on skin masques. Will do later.. Has some excellent info (wish I had a puter so I could do more ~ )

A I want to tell ya'll! I just realized the osteoarthritis in my back is not bothering me these days! Well, maybe a little but not like it was!

It is the KT & the HYALURONIC Acid as well as all the other goodies in it! Friends, we really are on to something terrific!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #1583
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I guess I am just real global! I use a clean one for each batch but never IRON them (or anything for that matter). If I take it off to check my brew I always make sure to put it back on the same way.

HMMM..sitting here with my 1st bottle of ALL WHITE THE KT... I was in a hurry & didn't get all the sweet out! I it wonderful plain - I just need to NOT be in a hurry casue I am not used to sweet...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #1584
Major LCF Poster!

Nice! The hyaluronic acid, are you taking a separate supplement, or does that get into the KT from the egg shells?

I'll have to look around, if I could find a good source of quality small taps, and a reliable way to drill glass, it might be an inexpensive way to convert 1/2 gallon and gallon glass jars into separators.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #1585

Porcupine, have you been spying on me?? I've been looking online for ways of drilling holes in glass jars to install my own spigots!!! That way I could have any size or style glass jar i want instead of relying on the summer sun tea jars!! Aren't we a smart bunch?

I have some diamond tip bits but none of the borer hole types.

Last edited by metqa; 08-23-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #1586
Major LCF Poster!

Ah interesting, I know glass is drillable but there were some special techniques required to make sure it doesn't chip or crack during drilling. Heating the area to be drilled with a mapp torch might help but I'm not sure. I think the glass will be a big factor, most of the ball jars are probably going to be sodium tempered, or the higher quality ones might be borosilicate, so I'm not sure how that affects drilling.

Hm.....gemcultures does not recommend using raw milk on kefir cultures, at least not their kefir cultures...so now I'm not sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcultures.com
We do not recommend the use of Raw Milks as they can carry a heavy bacterial load that can compete with these Dairy Cultures, alter the taste and can cause illness to the user.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #1587

Quote:
Ah interesting, I know glass is drillable but there were some special techniques required to make sure it doesn't chip or crack during drilling. Heating the area to be drilled with a mapp torch might help but I'm not sure. I think the glass will be a big factor, most of the ball jars are probably going to be sodium tempered, or the higher quality ones might be borosilicate, so I'm not sure how that affects drilling.

Hm.....gemcultures does not recommend using raw milk on kefir cultures, at least not their kefir cultures...so now I'm not sure...
Well, actually you want to keep the drilling surface cool and wet.

I didn't figure that about raw milk. Hmm, i know you must heat milk to culture yogurt because it's weak against other cultures and only strong in quantity. (ie, it overwhelms other bacteria by multiplication, and keeps them out by the acid by product) Iguess kefir cultures might not be able to compete with potentially pathogenic cultures that might grow faster than the kefir culture.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #1588
Major LCF Poster!

Keeping the surface cool and wet makes sense. I was at the Corning Museum of Glass a few weeks back and I was trying to pick up some tips there but they were using a torch mixing natural gas and oxygen to do their holes.

I've noticed in trying to make yogurt with raw milk, that it basically turns out the same as when I clabber the milk. I think the yogurt culture cannot compete with the natural bacteria in the raw milk. Making buttermilk with the raw milk seemed to work.

Last edited by porcupine73; 08-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: had it backwards
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #1589
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Keeping the surface cool and wet makes sense. I was at the Corning Museum of Glass a few weeks back and I was trying to pick up some tips there but they were using a torch mixing natural gas and oxygen to do their holes.

I've noticed in trying to make yogurt with raw milk, that it basically turns out the same as when I clabber the milk. I think the natural bacteria in the milk cannot compete with the yogurt culture. Making buttermilk with the raw milk seemed to work.
When I made yogurt with store milk I had to heat it to kill ALL the bacteria in it before adding the yogurt start and fermenting it. But store bought milk is basically dead already except for the pathogens in it!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #1590
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Since I started brewing some months back, I have 5 hours more energy a day (up from barely 1) & just today my body made me aware that the arthritic pain & stiffness in the low back has diminished significantly!
That is awesome!! I sure could use that kind of energy! How much KT do you drink a day? Do you drink it throughout the day?