Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #1531
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
how long has it been in the tea? the dry one?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #1532
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
how long has it been in the tea? the dry one?
About two weeks or so ...
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #1533
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Porcupine, I need to send a scoby to Faithful. I'll Pm you may email address so you can supply your mailing address if you'd like one as well.
Replied, thank you so much! I am excited to get some kombucha brewing. Most places want about $50 shipped for a kombucha scoby so your offer is very generous and appreciated!
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1534
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Highway robbery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Replied, thank you so much! I am excited to get some kombucha brewing. Most places want about $50 shipped for a kombucha scoby so your offer is very generous and appreciated!
I can't believe it! I have seen $20... Sometime try making your own s even after Metqa sends you one or start now!

1 Get a bottle of raw KT (plain preferred)
2 Pour it into a jar or deep dish
3 Cover with a tight weave cloth like T-shirt or the back of clean UW; yep UW=underwear like granny panties.
4 Put rubberband around neck of jar to secure
5 Put in a warm place for 10 days without moving it!
6 You should see a film on top DON't BOTHER IT but you can relocate jar at this point.
7 Let SCOBY grow til you can't stand it any longer & you have to pick your baby up cause you are the momma. She will be 1/4-1/2 inch thick, creamy & healthy enough to brew your 6allon container.

I keep little 1s growing to use for different things like Putting a small piece under a bandaid for a few days on bothersome questionable insect bites & weed blisters.

I have a Rx Hospital (hotel) for them. Depending on how I use them - like to spread KT on burns I may return them or cut pieces off. This way my healthy ones are not contaminated or bothered if I need a small piece. BTW Have 3 bandaids on now-drat those bugs! Think one was a spider cause it started to have lines coming from it. Better with SCOBY on it!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #1535
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info iamfaithful, I may give that a shot! Thanks to Metqa for offering to send me a scoby. I'll have to see if the store where I got the raw kombucha has any more in stock tomorrow. They had only the one bottle. I went to another location today while scouting out raw milk but they didn't appear to carry kombucha. Then I'll ask my grandma for a pair of her old drawers....errrr wait on second thought I'll figure something out haha.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #1536
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
The one I tried to hydrate in my sweet tea sank quickly to the bottom and still looks a deathly pale gray....no evidence of a baby on top either.

Glad Faithful is sending me a new mama!
Is your deathly pale sciby still in tea? Did you add some white vinegar to start it? Just a thougt- scobies in route!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1537
Major LCF Poster!

@porcupine73

I am sorry, didn't realize til just now :blush: you are male not female as most of us are... You would have to use the backs of old short......:ro fl:

We get a little crazy here... OK A LOT CRAZY!

But keep coming back... Like KT this thread is contageous & ADITCTIVE !!!!!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-20-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Is your deathly pale sciby still in tea? Did you add some white vinegar to start it? Just a thougt- scobies in route!
Still in the tea, still in the frig ... was concerned that if the scoby was not active, the tea on the counter would get moldy.

Didn't know I about the vinegar! OY!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #1539
Major LCF Poster!

Yep! Gota' have starter... No tea use vinegar but NOT the kind with a mother (eg Braggs)!

Don't know what size jar you have but I think it is same ratio as KT as starter. Give it a shot @ room temo. Let us know what you did & results.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #1540
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yep! Gota' have starter... No tea use vinegar but NOT the kind with a mother (eg Braggs)!

Don't know what size jar you have but I think it is same ratio as KT as starter. Give it a shot @ room temo. Let us know what you did & results.
You need a starter for the dehydrated scoby???? I thought the sweet tea would restart it???
Old 08-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #1541
Major LCF Poster!

I read something about using vinegar when you didn't have starter. I slept since then, but it makes sense if you need starter tea for a live scoby, one would need starter for dehydrared one. What do you have to loose? You will eventually have to throw that scoby & tea away anyway....
Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #1542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:

I keep little 1s growing to use for different things like Putting a small piece under a bandaid for a few days on bothersome questionable insect bites & weed blisters.

I have a Rx Hospital (hotel) for them. Depending on how I use them - like to spread KT on burns I may return them or cut pieces off. This way my healthy ones are not contaminated or bothered if I need a small piece. BTW Have 3 bandaids on now-drat those bugs! Think one was a spider cause it started to have lines coming from it. Better with SCOBY on it!
I still have so much to learn about these wonderful scobies. I didn't know about their pain relief qualities!

Selahgal-I love your siggy. It's one of my favorite verses!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #1543
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Doesn't matter if ti floats. It only floats to start because it is being created on the surface. Sinking won't hurt anything, it'll just make another scoby on top and keep growing.

When I regularly added fresh tea, I had beautiful thin translucent scobys that peeled like puff pastry!
Thanks, that's a relief. I looked closely at mama scoby and she's looking layered enough to peel a layer off. Time to start my white grape juice brew!!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #1544

Quote:
I read something about using vinegar when you didn't have starter. I slept since then, but it makes sense if you need starter tea for a live scoby, one would need starter for dehydrared one. What do you have to loose? You will eventually have to throw that scoby & tea away anyway....
Oh its been so long. I shouldn't assume. i forget to mention it.

Okay so yeah the sweet tea is yummy food for everybody. the Starter is needed for any new start of kombucha.

Sweet Tea(food) + Scoby ( microbes) + Starter/vinegar ( acid protection)

The starter or vinegar basically acidifies the liquid against weak pathogens that would otherwise start eating your sweet tea.

After the first batch has turned to Kombucha, some pour off most of it except a half cup or a cup and use that as the "starter" for the second brew, then then again for the third brew, and so on.

Kombucha kept as hotel liquid will get stronger and stronger and makes great starter.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 08-21-2011 at 06:31 AM..
Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #1545
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
I still have so much to learn about these wonderful scobies. I didn't know about their pain relief qualities!

Selahgal-I love your siggy. It's one of my favorite verses!
Love your siggy too!

Pain relief? From drinking it or applying the scoby topically or both? I have heard the scobies are wonderful topical healing therapies for many things!

I did hhcg most of last year and lost about 50 lbs & 44 inches total. Tried it this year and it didn't work much. Go figure! Guess that last 50 lbs doesn't want to leave home!! Hoping you much success with it!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #1546
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh its been so long. I shouldn't assume. i forget to mention it.

Okay so yeah the sweet tea is yummy food for everybody. the Starter is needed for any new start of kombucha.

Sweet Tea(food) + Scoby ( microbes) + Starter/vinegar ( acid protection)

The starter or vinegar basically acidifies the liquid against weak pathogens that would otherwise start eating your sweet tea.

After the first batch has turned to Kombucha, some pour off most of it except a half cup or a cup and use that as the "starter" for the second brew, then then again for the third brew, and so on.

Kombucha kept as hotel liquid will get stronger and stronger and makes great starter.
I made boocha for years and never added vinegar to 'start' it once I had a scoby in it. Even the instructions I got didn't say anything about that? I did add the lemon slices and ginger tho. Perhaps the lemon was enough to acidify the brew?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #1547

Oh yeah, lemon is acidic and ginger, well, that stuff can kill!

Really acidifying it is an extra precaution against mold and bacterial that might try to colonize your brew before the scoby microbes can take over.

ETA: Ah, Vinegar is only recomended for those who either have NO scoby and/or have no strong kombucha to start with. that should clarify it. Once you start brewing you don't need it since the kombucha is acidic on it's own. Even A bottle of store kombucha is also strong enough to "start" the brew.

Last edited by metqa; 08-21-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #1548

i wondered if my worms would eat it. I'd thought it be too acidic for them. I guess I'll put a piece of scoby in there and see if they go for it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #1549
Major LCF Poster!

BTW Phil 4:6-7 was the 1st Scripture I committed to heart...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #1550
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
BTW Phil 4:6-7 was the 1st Scripture I committed to heart...
NEAT!

My first memorized verse was Romans 8:28 ... For we know that in ALL THINGS God works to the good for those that love Him, for those that are called according to His purpose!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #1551
Major LCF Poster!

THIS IS WAY COOL!!!

I AM READING The Calcium Factor & on page 114 it reads:

"10. Drink the drink of princes & paupers, drink Kombucha. Royalty drinks Kombucha because it works to prevent disease and maintain health. The poor comoner drinks Kombucha because it maintains health, it only costs a penny, and it tastes so good. The nutritious organic nutrients are a powerful method of raising the alkalinity of the body's fluids, while dissolving toxins to which the Kombucha's gluceronic acid can attach itself and expel expel from the body. This, in itself, is a great help to your liver & kidneys"

We know that!
Happy to see it just tossed into a book!
Wonder what took me so long to learn about PH balance!
Now I know & will never go back!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-21-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #1552
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: redqueen
Stats: 261/238/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 10/1/11
What a surprise...

I haven't been around LCF for ages. What a surprise to see kombucha discussions!

I have adopted a "nourishing traditions" diet and am trying to keep it on the low carb side. So I thought I'd check my old faithful place for some low carb inspiration. So glad I did!

I've been brewing my own for a year or so. Love it plain, but recently tasted some that was ginger-flavored so that's next.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know you all are a very inspiring bunch!

Chris
redqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #1553
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I can't believe it! I have seen $20... Sometime try making your own s even after Metqa sends you one or start now!
Ok, I just started one using a bottle of GT's organic raw kombucha in a 1/2 gallon ball jar! I can't wait to be a scoby dady! I ironed a white t-shirt front and back and used that to cover the jar.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #1554

Have you heard about dissolving egg shells in kombucha to make a calcium rich drink??

ETA: YOSH! My brew has already started it's Newest Scoby!!! Dang, that was only two days, wasn't it?? Nope, three days. Wow!

Last edited by metqa; 08-21-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #1555
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, I just started one using a bottle of GT's organic raw kombucha in a 1/2 gallon ball jar! I can't wait to be a scoby dady! I ironed a white t-shirt front and back and used that to cover the jar.
I promise you that will work... It will be a loooooong wait- be sure it is in a warm spot & don't move it to allow the baby to form & seal on the jar. The longer you leave it the thicker & healthier the SCOBY! I talked to Metqa and she said she will be sending you a momma so you can get started fairly soon.

You only need a single layer of cloth so the jar can breathe! Much better than asking "granny" for her UW & a single layer when you put the new scoby & starter into sweet tea.

You have instructions on brewing I presume...

AND to the crazies of this thread!
We have so much fun!
Happy to have a fella present here!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #1556
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Have you heard about dissolving egg shells in kombucha to make a calcium rich drink??

ETA: YOSH! My brew has already started it's Newest Scoby!!! Dang, that was only two days, wasn't it?? Nope, three days. Wow!
No but I hang some in a spice bag in my WK grains cause it is good for them. Now I guess I need to save egg shells & lower them into my brewers in bags too. Good thing I have more bags... I need all the calcium I can get.

My white brewers were all started Fri @ 4PM. The scobies are all different thickness & density. They are all forming babies @ different rates but all have white speckles some more dense than others. This organic tea I got from the asian market rocks when it comes to brewing! Not to mention taste - so it is all white for me for right now!

Did you put a bandaid on your brewer's boo boo yet?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-21-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #1557
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I promise you that will work... It will be a loooooong wait- be sure it is in a warm spot & don't move it to allow the baby to form & seal on the jar. The longer you leave it the thicker & healthier the SCOBY! I talked to Metqa and she said she will be sending you a momma so you can get started fairly soon.

You only need a single layer of cloth so the jar can breathe! Much better than asking "granny" for her UW & a single layer when you put the new scoby & starter into sweet tea.

You have instructions on brewing I presume...

AND to the crazies of this thread!
We have so much fun!
Happy to have a fella present here!
Great thanks for the info! I put it on top of the fridge, this time of year it should be averaging 75-80F up there. That way I can see it without disturbing it. I doubled up the t-shirt, so I will change that to just one layer. And right on, I didn't even have to ask grandma for a pair of underwear!

I was going to use the brewing instructions in Eat Fat, Lose Fat, I think it basically says brew half a gallon of black tea, add a certain amount of sugar, let it cool, then add the scoby?

If the kombucha is acidic, maybe that softens the egg shells so the calcium can leach into the drink? Maybe I'll try adding some. I've been saving my egg shells to use in bone broth.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #1558
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great thanks for the info! I put it on top of the fridge, this time of year it should be averaging 75-80F up there. That way I can see it without disturbing it. I doubled up the t-shirt, so I will change that to just one layer. And right on, I didn't even have to ask grandma for a pair of underwear!

I was going to use the brewing instructions in Eat Fat, Lose Fat, I think it basically says brew half a gallon of black tea, add a certain amount of sugar, let it cool, then add the scoby?

If the kombucha is acidic, maybe that softens the egg shells so the calcium can leach into the drink? Maybe I'll try adding some. I've been
saving my egg shells to use in bone broth.
Yep, Son - I am old enough to me your mamma so I can use that term- the egg shells will dissolve cause they do in water kefir.

If you use brown eggs you may want to put them in cheese cloth or grannies nylon stockings & hang them -maybe better anyway- the brown color doesn't dissolve & will stay in the drink.
Bagging it you won't have to fish them out.

Most of us use this recipe:

7-8 bags of tea (any combo you like just not herbal or EARL GREY-it has oil & herbals don't have tannins)

1 cup or so of sugar (any kind white will do)

3 quarts of water

Brew tea, add sugar to warm/hot tea, add water to 3 quarts....

Be sure it is room temp B4 adding SCOBY

Pour 1-2 cups starter tea on top of SCOBY

Someome elas might give you different amounts & you will find what works for you as KT is personal & will create great patience in you if you don't already have that attribute.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #1559
Major LCF Poster!

Great thank you! I will be looking for the tea next. Thanks for the tip not to use Earl Grey, I was thinking about using that one. I've been saving the eggshells in a bag in the freezer after washing them out. Do they need any special washing to get any egg residue out or does that not really matter? They're farm raised brown eggs.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #1560
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great thank you! I will be looking for the tea next. Thanks for the tip not to use Earl Grey, I was thinking about using that one. I've been saving the eggshells in a bag in the freezer after washing them out. Do they need any special washing to get any egg residue out or does that not really matter? They're farm raised brown eggs.
You will want to put them in a bag (nylon stocking toe works great soask granny for 1). The brown is a coating on the shell-dont know how the chickens get it there- so a bag will keep it & the shells out of your tea & you can reuse & refill without having to get fresh each time.

Just wash them & you prolly did that already. I usually pull the membrane from the ones I use when I wash them. That's it!

Happy Parenting!