Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #1501
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
I 'found' some old scobies I had dehydrated months ago [still in the dehydrator!] and thought AHA and slapped one into some sugared tea ... the scoby sank to the bottom and has been sitting there for weeks.

Now it looks gray and DEAD. So much for great ideas! DRAT.

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Got a doggie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
I 'found' some old scobies I had dehydrated months ago [still in the dehydrator!] and thought AHA and slapped one into some sugared tea ... the scoby sank to the bottom and has been sitting there for weeks.

Now it looks gray and DEAD. So much for great ideas! DRAT.

Make good "Scoby Snacks"!

DO YOU NEED A NEW ONE? I can send a small one that makes 2qt first brew.

Let me know tonight if you can... Cause I am going to post office Friday. PM me.. With an address if you want me to gift to you...
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #1503
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Make good "Scoby Snacks"!

DO YOU NEED A NEW ONE? I can send a small one that makes 2qt first brew.

Let me know tonight if you can... Cause I am going to post office Friday. PM me.. With an address if you want me to gift to you...
Sure!!! I don't have PM here, but my email is belovedgal@gmail.com. Email me and I'll give you my address.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #1504
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
some companies send people dried scobies. it might just take longer to rehydrate and cultrt the teA. Just make sure it has some vinger and give it some more time.

Faitful ,i've never done that idea, but it sounds good. i agree, not having extra things in the swing bottles would make cleaning easier. Be our guinea pig.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #1505
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sure!!! I don't have PM here, but my email is..... Email me and I'll give you my address.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Since we've connected now via email, I'm editing out my email so it's not out there for anyone to grab!

ARGH, I can't edit the original post now! Anyone know how to delete it?

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-17-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #1506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
some companies send people dried scobies. it might just take longer to rehydrate and cultrt the teA. Just make sure it has some vinger and give it some more time.

Faitful ,i've never done that idea, but it sounds good. i agree, not having extra things in the swing bottles would make cleaning easier. Be our guinea pig.
OINK! Oink!

Will advise... Need to wait a while to try cause I want my white batch plain... & you know what I did to the big batch!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #1507
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Since we've connected now via email, I'm editing out my email so it's not out there for anyone to grab!

ARGH, I can't edit the original post now! Anyone know how to delete it?
No, maybe if you get with the admin & give them the # of the post they can edit ir take down.. Might ask them why you don't have PM cause if you did we would not have the dilemma. When I started here I was having a problem & they responded.. Tok a few days!

& if not you proly won't get plagued...not many ppl read past pages unless they are avid brewers....i think

I saw some email addresses but never replied...

let us know if they can help...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #1508

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
My dog is the biggest piggie I know and she turns her nose right up at the dried scoby. Just like my kids with the kombucha, lol. Oh well, I tried.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #1509
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
My dog is the biggest piggie I know and she turns her nose right up at the dried scoby. Just like my kids with the kombucha, lol. Oh well, I tried.
I remember you telling me that! Glad to see you back posting again!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #1510
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Oh my! I go away camping for a few days and you ladies go crazy with new concoctions and doggie scoby treats. I'll never catch up now!! My family may think I'm off my rocker some times, but I know I'm in good company here!!

I haven't started my white grape juice brew yet. I either need to start a new scoby (after Faithful's WARNING about not adding the juice to my continuous brew) or see if cb scoby is willing to divide a bit. How can you tell? It's about 1/4 in. thick right now.

Yes, I guess I have been thinking about the white grape juice KT for a while. I kinda gave up the brewing for a while, but I'd like to go back to the thread in 09 and see what I was thinking then.

Metqa-I may have you mixed up with someone else...did you do the hcg plan? If you did, did you incorporate the KT into the the plan?
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #1511

Well, I'm too lazy to keep my brew going so I've only had it for a few days on HCG before I forgot to feed it and it went sour. So technically No.

I'd LOVE to be on top of brewing and have it during a round because I think it's a great digestive, energizer and appetite suppressor/enhancer-if you aren't hungry it keeps you that way, and if you are hungry it pings you to make you want to eat. It would be a great morning beverage, and I think help to digest the little bit of food you are allowed on Protocal. Okay, Now you've done IT! I'm going to feed my scoby RIGHT NOW!!!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #1512

Well, I've got about 7-8 inches of scobys of various thicknesses. the 2 inch scoby,not included in that measure, is back in my brewer.

Does anybody need scobys. I'm up to my gills in them.

Anybody know where to get another 2 1/2 gallon glass with spigot container?
Happy Herbalist is plumb out of them and has been for a while.

Will trade scobys for kefir!

just kidding, I'd love to get some milk kefir grains, but these scobys need a home or they are gonna have to become shoe leather.

Has anyone on this board had any luck dehydrating a scoby and then bringing it back to make a good batch? I've heard of one company that sells people dried scobys that you have to rehydrate in order to use, so I guess since they still sell them people haven't complained them to death. maybe I'll dry them all and vacuum seal them for backup for the apocalypse.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1513
Major LCF Poster!

drying SCOBIES

Metqa:

A lady that sends dehydrated SCOBIES overseas said she dehydrates them at her dehydrators lowest setting then mails them. She didn't say how to rehydrate them or what to use as starter as I only inquired as to how to dry them

I got a nice glass one from JC Penny home store in June. Didn't see then there today....Some find them @ Costo & stores like that. I am in KY & was fortunate to find anything like that here.

If I mail you postage I would love too have one of your little girls. I have plenty but would like to add your growth into my continuous brewer.

Would do 2 things -
Add additional strains of bacteria to my cont brew
Be something personal from you, someone I whose
entries dated several years inspired me.

If I have MK would send- mine have just reached 2tsp & are finally getting productive. Perhaps Sandy can mail you a TBSP if she has extras...

PM me with info: Thanks!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-18-2011 at 06:50 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #1514
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I've got about 7-8 inches of scobys of various thicknesses. the 2 inch scoby,not included in that measure, is back in my brewer.

Does anybody need scobys. I'm up to my gills in them.

Anybody know where to get another 2 1/2 gallon glass with spigot container?
Happy Herbalist is plumb out of them and has been for a while.

Will trade scobys for kefir!

just kidding, I'd love to get some milk kefir grains, but these scobys need a home or they are gonna have to become shoe leather.

Has anyone on this board had any luck dehydrating a scoby and then bringing it back to make a good batch? I've heard of one company that sells people dried scobys that you have to rehydrate in order to use, so I guess since they still sell them people haven't complained them to death. maybe I'll dry them all and vacuum seal them for backup for the apocalypse.
Walmart and Kroger's both sell glass gallon jug 'suntea' jars with the spigot. I got two I'm not even using. If you hurry you can get them before the summer's over!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #1515

Oh, okay. I've got a couple of those, but was hoping to find another large one. Doesn't hurt to get more. Thanks for the heads up. I always get annoyed when they take the spigot jars off the shelves. As if people don't need to decant beverages once summer is over.

ETA: with all these extra scobies, I could start a huge batch of experiments!!!!

Last edited by metqa; 08-18-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #1516
Major LCF Poster!

I don't use my spigot any more! There is one on the 2.7 gal beverage I got from JC Penny Home store & it keeps forming small SCOBY strings in it & get clogged. So I only use it to sample & when it gets to where it just drips out, I just have to rebuild the jar so I can use it. (have to do a rebuild after the grape mess AGAIN)

The sun tea spigots kept leaking on the counter... Messy. I got my sun tea jars @ Rual King... Don't know if they have 1 in your area.

I decant using a clear piece of tubing 3/8", I can drain from mid tank & leave the bottom (even in gallon jars) as one would in cont brew. Works great! I miss handling the scoby a tad but it is so easy! No extra bowl & mess. I just need a gal jar to siphon into- most times the ferment is so clean I don't need to strain & can siphon again into bottles that I have set inside the sink.

When I go to the coop to pick up my order of swing bottles, I am going to price & maybe get one of the siphoning devices brewers use for wine. Will let you know how it works!

Will also advise how "Batch Flavoring" goes. The Kombucha Momma saids to just batch flavor according to quantity/fruit for 3-4 days, strain & bottle. I may add 1/8 tsp sugar @ bottling just to be sure the fizz fator is there. Will let you know!

Wonder what happened to all the other brewers on this thread of yester-year..... Hummmmmmmm...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-18-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #1517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh, okay. I've got a couple of those, but was hoping to find another large one. Doesn't hurt to get more. Thanks for the heads up. I always get annoyed when they take the spigot jars off the shelves. As if people don't need to decant beverages once summer is over.

ETA: with all these extra scobies, I could start a huge batch of experiments!!!!
Why not trying to Google 2.5 gal beverage servers & see what pops up. That is how I found mine at the local JCP store! Hope this helps!

Experiment #1 - white grape for J4Christ ~ BF might like too... My "Abomination" & Mess still brewing - tasting good but no new SCOBY on the "Abomination" ?

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-18-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #1518

I'm all googled out.

the only place that carries that size WITH a spigot ( and doesn't have hammered glass , octagonal shape or a uselessly placed spigot) was Happy Herbalist and they've been out for over a year. Plus the one they feature is a squat hammered glass version. I don't want that. The only one close to the design I want is the ceramic one, but you can't see into it. I like being able to see the scoby and the brew. That's too much out of sight out of mind for me.

My spigot doesn't get clogged often, but then I clean it out with a skewer and jiggle it every once in a while to keep threads out. I keep a gauzy drawstring bag over it to keep anything from trying to crawl into it. Don't want any surprises when I sample.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #1519
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I'm too lazy to keep my brew going so I've only had it for a few days on HCG before I forgot to feed it and it went sour. So technically No.

I'd LOVE to be on top of brewing and have it during a round because I think it's a great digestive, energizer and appetite suppressor/enhancer-if you aren't hungry it keeps you that way, and if you are hungry it pings you to make you want to eat. It would be a great morning beverage, and I think help to digest the little bit of food you are allowed on Protocal. Okay, Now you've done IT! I'm going to feed my scoby RIGHT NOW!!!
That's encouraging. I started a new round today (after gaining back all of last year's round's losses) so I will just add the cals into my daily allotment instead of the fruit cals.

Quote:
Why not trying to Google 2.5 gal beverage servers & see what pops up. That is how I found mine at the local JCP store! Hope this helps!

Experiment #1 - white grape for J4Christ ~ BF might like too... My "Abomination" & Mess still brewing - tasting good but no new SCOBY on the "Abomination" ?
Will report in on the white grape juice brew as soon as I get going on it

Happy brewing everyone!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #1520
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Ladies! Today I am officially declaring the grape thingys (both) a disaster & throwing them down the drain.

The Mess turned into just that- grape juice was free & Brewer wasn't right so no loss but time- will dehydrate the SCOBY -she always tried to climb out anyway!

The grape Apbmination really fermented into wine and strong wine...just a sip or two has my head fuzzy not fizzy.

Ok for someone that drinks...maybe I will bottle that one for my son...Hmmmm.

Metqu- I never thougt of tying a sack on the inside of my spigot! Great thougt! I havesome tea/spice bags I bougt some time back for egg shells in water kefir. When I wash out brewer today & rebuild I will add that.

Thanks! Such a wonderful friend..

Happy we all have met here.

Still wonder where the others are that started us on this together journey & I worry about Cindy... Any one know how she is?

Happy brewing everyone!

Marci - SCOBY leaving here in 2 hours ...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #1521
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hello Ladies! Today I am officially declaring the grape thingys (both) a disaster & throwing them down the drain.

The Mess turned into just that- grape juice was free & Brewer wasn't right so no loss but time- will dehydrate the SCOBY -she always tried to climb out anyway!

The grape Apbmination really fermented into wine and strong wine...just a sip or two has my head fuzzy not fizzy.

Ok for someone that drinks...maybe I will bottle that one for my son...Hmmmm.

Metqu- I never thougt of tying a sack on the inside of my spigot! Great thougt! I havesome tea/spice bags I bougt some time back for egg shells in water kefir. When I wash out brewer today & rebuild I will add that.

Thanks! Such a wonderful friend..

Happy we all have met here.

Still wonder where the others are that started us on this together journey & I worry about Cindy... Any one know how she is?

Happy brewing everyone!

Marci - SCOBY leaving here in 2 hours ...
Got the tea ready and waiting!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #1522
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Got the tea ready and waiting!
Got 2 jars? I decided you needed 2. Getting ready to leave for PO right now.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #1523
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Got 2 jars? I decided you needed 2. Getting ready to leave for PO right now.
Got lots of jars! Great!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1524
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I bought a bottle of 'raw' kombucha at the health food store (said it also had chlorella and a couple other things but unsweetened). Wow, it is absolutely delicious. I was on the fence about getting into kombucha brewing but now I have to go for it!

Where to get the mushroom? I was thinking of ordering one from kombucha2000...

What's a good organic black tea to use? Most I'm seeing say 'English Breakfast'?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #1525
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I bought a bottle of 'raw' kombucha at the health food store (said it also had chlorella and a couple other things but unsweetened). Wow, it is absolutely delicious. I was on the fence about getting into kombucha brewing but now I have to go for it!

Where to get the mushroom? I was thinking of ordering one from kombucha2000...

What's a good organic black tea to use? Most I'm seeing say 'English Breakfast'?
Scroll back ... metqa said she has tons of scobies! Any tea is good as long as there are no oils, I think? I just use green or black or white tea...healthy ones.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #1526

Porcupine, I need to send a scoby to Faithful. I'll Pm you may email address so you can supply your mailing address if you'd like one as well.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #1527
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, so I finally added some tea to my continuous brew, trying to remember how I did it a few years ago (still haven't gone back on this thread to read up) and my beautiful, creamy scoby sunk to the bottom Is she okay? If I remember correctly a new scoby will form on the top and mama scoby is still on the bottom?

Faithful-Wine, really? Hmmmmmm.....I always wanted try to make wine, didn't know it could be this easy

Oh, my poor unsuspecting family
Old 08-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #1528
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Okay, so I finally added some tea to my continuous brew, trying to remember how I did it a few years ago (still haven't gone back on this thread to read up) and my beautiful, creamy scoby sunk to the bottom Is she okay? If I remember correctly a new scoby will form on the top and mama scoby is still on the bottom?

Faithful-Wine, really? Hmmmmmm.....I always wanted try to make wine, didn't know it could be this easy

Oh, my poor unsuspecting family
Yep! Scoby is fine- they sink- go perendicular-float in the middle & stick to the jar. If she is alive she is already expecting! Look for a baby.

This is not the conventional wine but
carbonated... My swing top ltr bottles won't be picked up tol Mon. I have it in plastic with a loose lid but it keeps bellowing out-huge! It is in bathtub in a bucket with a bag over thr top & shower curtain closed... I burp twice a day & there isn't a scoby in it!

I might try white grape with a piece of an old scoby 1/2 water & juice.

All odd scobies are now dry-taste sweet- even grandaughter chewed one. She is falling in love with the scoby family & posted a sign above the jars The Best Scobys In The World!

Got to go make breakfast-
Metqa email me- I might have a CB for you if you are interested...
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #1529

Doesn't matter if ti floats. It only floats to start because it is being created on the surface. Sinking won't hurt anything, it'll just make another scoby on top and keep growing.

When I regularly added fresh tea, I had beautiful thin translucent scobys that peeled like puff pastry!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #1530
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Doesn't matter if ti floats. It only floats to start because it is being created on the surface. Sinking won't hurt anything, it'll just make another scoby on top and keep growing.

When I regularly added fresh tea, I had beautiful thin translucent scobys that peeled like puff pastry!
The one I tried to hydrate in my sweet tea sank quickly to the bottom and still looks a deathly pale gray....no evidence of a baby on top either.

Glad Faithful is sending me a new mama!