Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member
 
moonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plains, KS
Posts: 382
Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
I used to make kombucha until last summer when I started eating low carb and I quit using sugar.
Are you folks making your booch with sugar?
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonius View Post
I used to make kombucha until last summer when I started eating low carb and I quit using sugar.
Are you folks making your booch with sugar?
Dude!!!! Welcome the the Boocha thead! You're gonna [COLOR="Red"]Love it [/COLOR]Here!!!!

Okily Dokily, the first thing you have to realize is the the sugar is for the Scoby, not for you. So yes you MUST USE SUGAR, the more refined the better!

What sugar is left after fermenting is a bit of fructose, like leftover bones you throw to the dogs (RAW NOT COOKED, NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES TO PUPPY!) AHEM, . . . where was I :blush:, Oh yeah. after fermentation, there will be between 4g to 8g of sugar per serving, I think depending on how strong you brew it. So it's not very high in sugar at all compared to even some reduces sugar fruit beverages. Like Old Orchard, which I think is 8g per 8oz.

Anyway, many of us are in maintenance (atkins) and so the small amount of sugar in the Kombucha is not a big swing factor for us. YMMV. of course.

Welcome and keep posting!
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member
 
moonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Plains, KS
Posts: 382
Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
I've got a long way to go before I reach maintenance.
I guess I'll wait before I get back to brewin' the booch.
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #124
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Depends, I never bothered about how much I drank cause it was such a small amount. But then again, "normal dose" is supposed to be only 4oz a day . . . .

I never claimed to be normal,

At first I'd have only a shot glass worth after dinner and noticed it helped my digestion lots. So you may still be able to enjoy it in the prescribe quantities.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
My friend just gave me some SCOBY pieces, and so I want to get this going.
(she also gave me some kefir grains)

This looks interesting, hope it works!
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #126
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
My friend just gave me some SCOBY pieces, and so I want to get this going.
(she also gave me some kefir grains)

This looks interesting, hope it works!
Welcome Misbaggypants!
Keep us updated.

my after Christmas batch was dissappointing. I didn't realize how dissappointing until I taste tested my newest batch

I'm seriously for the first time thinking of pouring out some kombucha to bottle the better batch that finished in a record 7 days time. Maybe my house is too warm, my electric bill was sure higher.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jem51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: south central OR
Posts: 3,645
Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i am really sensitive to yeast which is why i stopped making kefir....love my buttermilk though (thanks vesna).
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
My SCOBY is in the tea now, but it's not floating. I have cheesecloth on the lid, and it smells ferment-y, so I'm hoping it's still alive. I think I might have had the tea too hot when I did the transfer. I had it on my counter, but the jar was pretty cool to the touch, so moved it on to my propane stove. What temp is the best? I can cook yogurt pretty good on my stove if it's covered, so I'm guessing the stove is about 80? The counter will be closer to 65ish. I have a good thermometer, so I can check later.

Also, my recipe page says nothing about how long until I change the tea. And, how big do I let my SCOBY get? When I get to the next stage, I would love step by steps on the second ferment.

Anyway, I have made "friends" with my SCOBY. No one else in my house has, though. My ds11 and hubby about gag looking at it, but they are intrigued. They are logical science guys at heart, so it won't be long. I'm looking forward to drinking this. I have added kefir and yogurt and hope to improve my digestive system. I just found through trial and error that I'm allergic to wheat and probably have done some damage to my colon and hope this will help put balance back. Hopefully help with the weight loss, too!

Another question--
Some of you have flavored tea from a store. How do you do that at home??? I would love to try that, too!

THANKS!!
Angela
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #129
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
My SCOBY is in the tea now, but it's not floating. I have cheesecloth on the lid, and it smells ferment-y, so I'm hoping it's still alive. I think I might have had the tea too hot when I did the transfer. I had it on my counter, but the jar was pretty cool to the touch, so moved it on to my propane stove. What temp is the best? I can cook yogurt pretty good on my stove if it's covered, so I'm guessing the stove is about 80? The counter will be closer to 65ish. I have a good thermometer, so I can check later.

Also, my recipe page says nothing about how long until I change the tea. And, how big do I let my SCOBY get? When I get to the next stage, I would love step by steps on the second ferment.

Another question--
Some of you have flavored tea from a store. How do you do that at home??? I would love to try that, too!

THANKS!!
Angela
You're OFF!
the scoby does not have to float, but the new scoby will form on the surface of the liquid since it needs oxygen and air. the scoby may start out thin but will continue to thicken the longer it is allowed to grow. My scobys have for the most part floated and if I didn't remove them completely or submerge them, just got thicker. I make a point of poking or jiggling the jar to keep it from getting dry on top.So I end up with a cake of multiple thin scobys.

Temperature between 65 and 80, or comfortable room temperature( for humans). I decided to not try adjusting the temperature just check for doneness after about a week. But you can put the thermometer in just to be curious and see where the liquid is in comparison to the room temp.

It can take anywhere from 7-14 days for the brew to be to your liking, and that's the key, when it tastes good to YOU. depending on temperature and how strong the starter is and also whether you continuous or new batch each time.

Each ferment is basically the same. When the brew is tasty, pour off all but the starter amount and add new sweet tea to this amount and the scoby and let it sit till next time.

I think Laurie did a flavored tea so we'll wait for her to answer that one. I have added cranberry extract to finished Kombucha as I bottled it. It was a sweeter brew and It was a hit at New Years. Ooops. I went to the store and forgot to get sugar! It is SO not on my normal grocery list!

Good luck and keep in touch, eh?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member
 
LaurieRobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 783
Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Metqa!!!!

Angela,

I have flavored mine dozens of ways and have only had one that was and had to throw out. It was some organic carrot juice blend (pineapple, apple and not sure what else). but something made it taste raunchy

I have used:

ginger
cran-grape
cran-rasp
POM - juices - pom/blueberry, pom/orange
apple Cider
craisins
raisins
pineapple juice
green food juice (odwalla - I think)
organic mango lemonade (a favorite)
all natural strawberry preserves
strawberries
blueberries
pineapple
pear slices (however now I just use juices) fruits get funky after a while kind of over fermented tasting... ie: rotten fruit... If you use it after a week, it's fine, but I mix it up and sometimes its several weeks before I get to it.
Ginger with any combo above - very good for fizz plus I love ginger!

I just use my imagination and have been very successful... I browse the refrigerator section and natural foods section for ideas and I have only had one batch that wasn't good.

I have also used flavored teas for part of the brew (with an extra scoby of course) Celestial Seasonings, Blueberry, Raspberry and Strawberry work very well... No need to add anything to the 2nd ferment - a drop of nu-naturals stevia and YUMMMMM!
__________________
Laurie

Happily Maintaining - 45 Fit and Fantastic!



http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/lbrobo77/


I XanGo Juice!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
My kombucha is still pretty sweet, and I have moved it to the counter, so probably about 60-65 and might take longer.

The ginger sounds really good, do you put a chunk in the bottle when you pour it off?

Might try blackberry tea next go around...

Thanks for the info!
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #132
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
My Kombucha is very ripe now. I've been gone for three days and it was "ready" before I left. But I had indigestion from too much travel food and that overripe kombucha tasted like the Water of the Gods to me! It didn't matter that it was vinegary or made the nose wrinkle, my body wanted it just like that! that's proof to me that Kombucha is an awesome tonic.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Someone in another thread asked what the health benefits of Kombucha are. So I'm posting some thoughts for her to read. I'll put links to sources afterward.

The culture contains a symbiosis of Acetobacter (acetic acid bacteria) and yeast.

The Chinese called it the "Immortal Health Elixir," because they believed Kombucha balanced the Middle Qi (Spleen and Stomach) and aided in digestion, allowing the body to focus on healing.

Kombucha contains many different cultures along with several organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, and polyphenols.[3]For the home brewer, there is no way to know the amounts of the components unless a sample is sent to a laboratory.

The US Food and Drug Administration has no findings on the effects of kombucha.[4] Final kombucha may contain some of the following components depending on the source of the culture: Acetic acid, which provides much anti-microbial activity; butyric acid, gluconic acid, glucuronic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, oxalic acid, usnic acid, as well as some B-vitamins.[5]

Due to the alkaline fermentation process used in its brewing, Kombucha contains ethyl alcohol in amounts that vary from 0.5% to 1.5%

A review of the published literature on the safety of kombucha suggests no specific oral toxicity in rats

Other health claims may be due to the simple acidity of the drink, possibly influencing the production of stomach acids or modifying the communities of microorganisms in the GI tract. For example, anecdotal reports suggest better experience with foods that 'stick' going down such as rice or pasta. This is mostly due to relief of stomach gas responsible for preventing proper digestion.

the active component in kombucha is most likely glucaric acid.
glucaric acid probably makes the liver more efficient. Interestingly, glucaric acid is commonly found in fruits and vegetables, and is being explored independently as a cancer preventive agent.[14] It has also been discovered that the bacterial beta-glucuronidase enzyme can interfere with proper disposal of a chemotherapeutic agent, and that antibiotics against the gut microbiota can prevent toxicity of some chemotherapy drugs
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member
 
LaurieRobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 783
Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
My kombucha is still pretty sweet, and I have moved it to the counter, so probably about 60-65 and might take longer.

The ginger sounds really good, do you put a chunk in the bottle when you pour it off?

Might try blackberry tea next go around...

Thanks for the info!
I'm finding mine is taking about 2 weeks now in my continuous brewer. I drink from it for another week or so before I add more sweet tea.

I have plenty of KT bottled from this fall.

I have sliced, chopped and grated the ginger. They all seem to react the same way. It is easier to just throw it in the food processor and add it to your bottles. Ginger makes a good FIZZZZZZ! Yummy!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member
 
LaurieRobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 783
Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
My Kombucha is very ripe now. I've been gone for three days and it was "ready" before I left. But I had indigestion from too much travel food and that overripe kombucha tasted like the Water of the Gods to me! It didn't matter that it was vinegary or made the nose wrinkle, my body wanted it just like that! that's proof to me that Kombucha is an awesome tonic.
I've let it go a bit too long and have had to add a couple drops of Nu-naturals to get it drinkable (at least in the size glass I like)!!!

Yes - I do find that I crave it and my body loves it, proof enough for me to keep drinking!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
I tried some last night, about 1/2c. or maybe less. It was still somewhat sweet, but it tasted more like apples than the last time, so I'm probably getting close. Hard to tell what's sweet anymore, even the green beans last night tasted sweet to me.

I will definately try the ginger once this gets going. LUV ginger...
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!
 
michelemomof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,096
Gallery: michelemomof2
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 18, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Someone in another thread asked what the health benefits of Kombucha are. So I'm posting some thoughts for her to read. I'll put links to sources afterward.

The culture contains a symbiosis of Acetobacter (acetic acid bacteria) and yeast.

The Chinese called it the "Immortal Health Elixir," because they believed Kombucha balanced the Middle Qi (Spleen and Stomach) and aided in digestion, allowing the body to focus on healing.

Kombucha contains many different cultures along with several organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, and polyphenols.[3]For the home brewer, there is no way to know the amounts of the components unless a sample is sent to a laboratory.

The US Food and Drug Administration has no findings on the effects of kombucha.[4] Final kombucha may contain some of the following components depending on the source of the culture: Acetic acid, which provides much anti-microbial activity; butyric acid, gluconic acid, glucuronic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, oxalic acid, usnic acid, as well as some B-vitamins.[5]

Due to the alkaline fermentation process used in its brewing, Kombucha contains ethyl alcohol in amounts that vary from 0.5% to 1.5%

A review of the published literature on the safety of kombucha suggests no specific oral toxicity in rats

Other health claims may be due to the simple acidity of the drink, possibly influencing the production of stomach acids or modifying the communities of microorganisms in the GI tract. For example, anecdotal reports suggest better experience with foods that 'stick' going down such as rice or pasta. This is mostly due to relief of stomach gas responsible for preventing proper digestion.

the active component in kombucha is most likely glucaric acid.
glucaric acid probably makes the liver more efficient. Interestingly, glucaric acid is commonly found in fruits and vegetables, and is being explored independently as a cancer preventive agent.[14] It has also been discovered that the bacterial beta-glucuronidase enzyme can interfere with proper disposal of a chemotherapeutic agent, and that antibiotics against the gut microbiota can prevent toxicity of some chemotherapy drugs
Thanks, Metqa!
michelemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #138
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Your welcome. I'm sorry I fell asleep and didn't finish. but all that came just from wikipedia. other "benefits" are mostly anecdotal, but they are pretty awesome.

Laurie, I'm still drinking that sour boocha from this week. It keeps getting stronger I'm gonna make a new batch soon and pull some sweet brew for my friends next week. I like it strong!!!!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member
 
LaurieRobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 783
Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Your welcome. I'm sorry I fell asleep and didn't finish. but all that came just from wikipedia. other "benefits" are mostly anecdotal, but they are pretty awesome.

Laurie, I'm still drinking that sour boocha from this week. It keeps getting stronger I'm gonna make a new batch soon and pull some sweet brew for my friends next week. I like it strong!!!!!
I have been drinking from my brewer and it was about 1/2 empty and the last glass brought tears to even my eyes...

I topped it off w/ fresh brew - I'll give it about 5 days and taste it...
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #140
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
How's That for A Fat Scoby!!! I'm sure if the DEA were listening they'd be at my door right now! That sounds so naughty!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoby_0001.jpg (27.4 KB, 28 views)
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
Wow-I'm jealous. Mine is still pretty thin, only 2 weeks old, probably 1/4 inch.

I made my 3rd batch last night, with green tea. The finished bucha was much more sour than my first, but sooo good. I've had kombucha for about 4 days, and had a real whoosh yesterday. I hope it's helping my digestion.

My family thinks I'm wayyy out there! DH said last night "now what kind of bacteria are you drinking???" haha!
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #142
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbaggypants View Post
"now what kind of bacteria are you drinking???" haha!


Whew, that's funny.

I grew that scoby in a jar of finished bucha tea. I first had the extra scobys in sweet tea in the fridge, but an online friend said that it can stunt their restart, and that he just kept them in the finished brew at room temp. It produced for him a humongously thick scoby just from being in the finished brew. Since I don't really want to create more drinkable bucha with the extras, I took his advice and left the babys in the jar on the shelf. But I still had a jar of sweet tea half unfinished So I combined the liquids split it tween the babys and the empty jar (not enough room for one jar) and left the empty jar of tea on the shelf also. What you see is what happened. the baby jar also grew a new tops scoby but not as thick as the one in the pic.

I bet someone would be so pleased to have such a thick scoby. of course thickness isn't everything. That scoby grew from nothing, so the tea itself was very active and healthy.

anyboo, I'm hungry so I'm gonna have some bucha and some lunch. Ciao!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
Yeah gotta bless that man. Sometimes he really wonders if I'm sane or not!! LOLOL
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #144
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ft Worth
Posts: 1,100
Gallery: Jayelgee
Stats: 187/184/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7/3/2007
I have my starter tea going on the pantry....

I'm highly intimidated. I took a peek early today and I saw the scoby and I shut the door. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. lol
Jayelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member
 
msbaggypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 468
Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
hahahaha!

My kids almost gagged when I showed them my baby SCOBY my friend sent. The liquid was pretty much vinegar, so it smelled pretty strong.

Do as my friend told me to do..."make friends with the SCOBY"...
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #146
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Laurie, I know you've done ginger flavor before.
I saw a webpage where this guy made his own "ginger ale" basically he just boiled ginger with sugar water and added seltzer to it. But I wondered if I could use his ginger syrup idea and add tea to it and ferment that into ginger kombucha. Do you think it would work with the ginger in before hand? Or might the ginger attack and kill the scoby and yeast?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Gallery: mommiematters
Stats: 283/???/115
WOE: Atkins
I have been brewing Kombucha for a few months. My kids and husband LOVE it!!! I really would like to brew some flavored Kombucha preferably using fruit or fruit juice rather than flavored teas. Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do this?

Also where do you get the bottles with caps?
mommiematters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member
 
LaurieRobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 783
Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Hey Laurie, I know you've done ginger flavor before.
I saw a webpage where this guy made his own "ginger ale" basically he just boiled ginger with sugar water and added seltzer to it. But I wondered if I could use his ginger syrup idea and add tea to it and ferment that into ginger kombucha. Do you think it would work with the ginger in before hand? Or might the ginger attack and kill the scoby and yeast?
I'm not sure, but it is worth a try in a small batch w/ a spare scoby!!!

My only concern is that ginger is pretty powerful stuff and my kill the scoby.

Let me know if you try it and how you make out.
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #149
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,739
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I like to hear from another person. I'd hate to kill off even one of my babies. I think I'll try adding it afterward. But It makes me wonder what other types of Non-antimicrobial syrups I could make boocha with?

I've been eating poorly this past week. . . this morning I had one of those nightmares where you think you got up with the alarm but you didn't and you keep waking up over and over into a new dream. One of those false awakenings, I got up, went directly to my brewer, and drank two shots of Kombucha straight! Oh yeah, my body is trying to tell me something. Ive also been taking shots with Magnesium before bed despite the caffeine content, I've been sleeping a bit less fitfully. Kinda like my homemade Ritalin, eh?

I want to make the green version of it homemade. I guess I'll have to buy some green foods powder or something like that.

Anybody having troubles with their starter brew? Too vinegary? Not enough Fizz? (you know who I'm talking to ) Check out this Yahoocities trouble shooting site. I like its format and thoroughness.
http://www.geocities.com/kombucha_balance/
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #150
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 17,974
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRobo View Post
I'm not sure, but it is worth a try in a small batch w/ a spare scoby!!!

My only concern is that ginger is pretty powerful stuff and my kill the scoby.

Let me know if you try it and how you make out.

Synergy makes a ginger flavor kombucha so there must be a way.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.