Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #1441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I didn't get one at all! I saw 3 diff types at BB&B. I'll be sure to look at that spout location though before I buy. I have tea cooling and I went and bought some GT plain kombucha so I'm ready to roll! I'm still going to keep my first little jar of juice stuff going though, just to see what it turns in to.

Now I need kefir grains!! And maybe a lab, lol.
Sandy, I was going to suggest since your fruity scoby is growing & if it looks healthy- if you like coffee might try that one on Koffucha. You may not want to mix her with your pure scoby you are growing & this was a thought.. Good talking to you!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #1442
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I was thinking I wouldn't use that fruit scoby for anything else, especially if my big one turns out well. I'm still trying to think of a suitable name for my baby, lol. But I might try it on coffee. That sounds interesting.

I put my boochas upstairs in an unused bedroom. It was about 81 in that room when I first put them in but when I just went to tuck them in it was down to 78. I think that might be a good spot for them. And I'll get plenty of exercise running up and down to watch them. Lol.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #1443
Major LCF Poster!

New babies in the oven

I have 3 more babies going from straight GT's Original ~ ok one has a tad of sweet tea I had left over. They are growing BETTER than Scoby Doo who was started from sweet green tea & a bottle of GT's Original. I personally think this is the BEST way to grow a healthy SCOBY From scratch (or smell). After 1 week the 1 st 2 are getting thick cream colored and healthy! Haven't touched or juggled them. I'm thinking 2 more weeks & they will be ready to join forces to go continuous. They are growing in bowls with a large surface area & it is COMPLETELY sealed off!

The 3rd I just started in the 4th. She is in a mason jar with 4" of KT underneath ~ my bottles of GT has babies in them so they are joining forces to make a momma! Will let this one go til it gets real thick then ~ not sure.

Thought I would pull out a stored bottle of KT Scoby Doo made & let it grow to see what happens.

My family thinks I have turned into a mad scientist & are about tasting my Bouch. They will come round when I find a flavor they like...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-06-2011 at 04:34 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #1444
Major LCF Poster!

Hi there! Incase anyone wants to join us in our Kombucha Quest - we revived this old thread and then found a new one so I guess we jumped over there.

Don't forget about this one, though, cause I read every entry there is a LOT of information & FUN in this thread.

Come on over!

Kickn' with Kombucha started by pepperette

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #1445
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I've still got my brew and scoby but go through periods of not drinking.

I keep getting scared about it, about the fructose content. I wonder if its too much then I don't care and drink it anyway,... then I start worrying about my weight and whether it has too much sugar and stop drinking it.... I can't make up my mind, but I do love it so!
I go through the exact same things!! Too funny. LOL

Actually my continuous brew kombucha got mold and I had to throw it all out. Now I'm just doing a continuous brew water kefir which I love most of all, even more than the boocha.

Last edited by Selahgal; 07-08-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #1446

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Oh I'm sorry to hear that.
Remember when I freaked out because I thought my scoby had grown mold? Turned out it was only a dark thin spot. So far, I guess because I brew the stuff so strong, I've {knock on wood} never had a scoby mold problem, even though my house is a mold magnet!

I'm still holding out to do water and milk kefir. I think my mind can't handle too many fermenting things at once!

Do you flavor your water kefir?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #1447

I love making milk kefir. It's a no-brainer, which is good for me, lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #1448

I can imagine having of ferment of 2 days as opposed to several makes it much easier than Kombucha, ne?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #1449

I don't even ferment the milk kefir 2 days. Just usually 24 hours or so. So yes, much less patience needed.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #1450
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Oh I'm sorry to hear that.
Remember when I freaked out because I thought my scoby had grown mold? Turned out it was only a dark thin spot. So far, I guess because I brew the stuff so strong, I've {knock on wood} never had a scoby mold problem, even though my house is a mold magnet!

I'm still holding out to do water and milk kefir. I think my mind can't handle too many fermenting things at once!

Do you flavor your water kefir?
I flavor the 'second brew' which I put in plastic 16 oz tight capped soda bottles [plastic gives them room to expand a bit and they won't explode like glass will!]

I keep a pint mason jar in the frig with my milk kefir and it still ferments well but my cats drink it more than I do! haha
Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #1451

Oooh, that's good to know about the water kefir, using plastic bottles.
I'm laughing at imagining your cats drinking kefir. I'll bet their guts are really healthy!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #1452
Major LCF Poster!

Water Kefir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
I go through the exact same things!! Too funny. LOL

Actually my continuous brew kombucha got mold and I had to throw it all out. Now I'm just doing a continuous brew water kefir which I love most of all, even more than the boocha.
Can't get mine to fizz - ever ~ even on second ferment. Hooked on the Bouch so WK is taking 4th seat. I am gifting WK grains to Sandy this week.. Anything special I should tell her so she can get the the best bang for her efforts?

Funny thing I am concerned about carbs until it comes to my Dairy, KT, WK, MK & Ginger Beer! Yummm! Pastas, grains & sweet potatoes are my downfall for sure!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-08-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #1453
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Can't get mine to fizz - ever ~ even on second ferment. Hooked on the Bouch so WK is taking 4th seat. I am gifting WK grains to Sandy this week.. Anything special I should tell her so she can get the the best bang for her efforts?

Funny thing I am concerned about carbs until it comes to my Dairy, KT, WK, MK & Ginger Beer! Yummm! Pastas, grains & sweet potatoes are my downfall for sure!
My water kefir gets nice and fizzy! I add things in the second brew such as fresh ginger, fruit, raisins ... whatever I can think of. Other than that I just do continuous brew in a quart mason jar with a firm but not tight lid with some fresh lemon slices and sugar water!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #1454
Major LCF Poster!

So you put a lid on your 1st brew & add flavorings to second brew. Did I read correct that you put lemon slices in 1st batch? Does that in any way affect the grains? Do yours multiply?

How many grains/sugar do you put in a quart? I plan on making a batch tonight ! How long do you leave it on 1st ferment?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #1455
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So you put a lid on your 1st brew & add flavorings to second brew. Did I read correct that you put lemon slices in 1st batch? Does that in any way affect the grains? Do yours multiply?

How many grains/sugar do you put in a quart? I plan on making a batch tonight ! How long do you leave it on 1st ferment?
Well, in my quart mason jar I fill it with water almost to the top, add *about* 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar, usually just white sugar, sometimes raw sugar [brown with minerals still in the sugar ... unrefined] add a few fresh lemon slices and stir well. I put the mason jar lid on it but not tight and test it every couple of days. It sits on my kitchen counter. I *think* I have about a half cup of crystals but I haven't rinsed them off or separated them from the main brewing for a long time so I have no idea.

When it ready, I pour it into the plastic soda bottles [I use empty Fuze bottles], add whatever sounds yummy ... fresh ginger, pineapple, dried fruit or sometimes nothing! Then I put them into a cabinet and let them alone, lids on tight. I check about once a week on them and when I'm ready to drink one I take it out and put it on the kitchen counter next to the 'mother' brew, taking a small glass or swig all through the day. Sometimes it takes a week or so to drink it all. Sometimes adding a pinch of baking soda will 'kick start' a first brew that's stalled out or is just having trouble fermenting. The water crystals needs sugar and minerals to ferment.

The continuous brewing is so easy, no rinsing or cleaning. When the brew is rebottled for the second brew, I just add more water and sugar to the continuous brew jar and repeat the process.

Hope that helps!

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Last edited by Selahgal; 07-08-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #1456
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you! I went to bed early so I will start this tomorrow. I always use a little soda & salt but the instructions I got with my grains said to cover like KT & carbonation would come in time & with the 2nd ferment. Will separate my grains & see how this works with what I am keeping as I am gifting half (already gifted half once before cause they grow so fast).

Your advise really does help. Wanted to ask since I saw your post on the old thread.

OOPS! This is the old one! I only have my phone & it is hard to keep up ...

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-08-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #1457
Major LCF Poster!

@Selahgal - I tried your WK method & still no fizz! maybe it is my grains. Do you have extra to gift if I send you $ ?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #1458
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
@Selahgal - I tried your WK method & still no fizz! maybe it is my grains. Do you have extra to gift if I send you $ ?
It's not the grains. Are you saying you put the WK in a plastic bottles with the tight lid and added some fruit and left it for a week or so and it did not get fizzy at all?

Did you try adding some baking soda to the main brew to kick start it? Lemon slices? Is it out of direct sunlight? Are you sure the sugar is dissolved in the main brew? Are you adding enough sugar? I stir my main brew every few days when I take a sip to test it's 'doneness'.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #1459
Major LCF Poster!

Yep! All of the above! It sends off lots of bubbles & even the lids get tight! But when the fizz pops upon opening- flat.. Don't know if it is my water... Used spring water & then filtered tap.

My KT has enough for both the KT & WK. Haven't got a clue.

Think I will bottle some more & forget them for a week or more. Have a lot I can do this with & a lot of different frozen juice concentrates to play with (I take out a TBSP at a time).

Thanks for any input- all is helpful.. Need to find something for grandkids to drink that they will like ~ they don't get much pop & I am trying to find something healthy they can enjoy.

Stopped enough to put some cherry apple concenteate in a 20 oz bottle & put out with my WK on the table... Will let you know... Thanks for the help!

BTW I just figured out your "name" & I really like it!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-12-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #1460
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yep! All of the above! It sends off lots of bubbles & even the lids get tight! But when the fizz pops upon opening- flat.. Don't know if it is my water... Used spring water & then filtered tap.

My KT has enough for both the KT & WK. Haven't got a clue.

Think I will bottle some more & forget them for a week or more. Have a lot I can do this with & a lot of different frozen juice concentrates to play with (I take out a TBSP at a time).

Thanks for any input- all is helpful.. Need to find something for grandkids to drink that they will like ~ they don't get much pop & I am trying to find something healthy they can enjoy.

Stopped enough to put some cherry apple concenteate in a 20 oz bottle & put out with my WK on the table... Will let you know... Thanks for the help!

BTW I just figured out your "name" & I really like it!
I hope you're able to come up with a healthy beverage for those grandkids! Keep experimenting! Glad to help however I can.

As to my 'name' ... yeah, I know you 'get it'..

Bless you!
<><
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #1461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
I love this stuff... I don't have the time or patience to make my own... but I love how the fermenting process makes it "carbonated". I can only drink 1/2 a jar at a time, or it upsets my tummy a little...
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #1462
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden View Post
I love this stuff... I don't have the time or patience to make my own... but I love how the fermenting process makes it "carbonated". I can only drink 1/2 a jar at a time, or it upsets my tummy a little...
Hi SeaMaiden! I think you are referring to Kombucha... Correct? I am sorry it upsets your tummy- maybe someone can chime in to give suggestions.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #1463
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi SeaMaiden! I think you are referring to Kombucha... Correct? I am sorry it upsets your tummy- maybe someone can chime in to give suggestions.
I know when I first began taking boocha and water kefir I'd sometimes get a bit queasy. Even now, after taking them both for over a year, if I take too much, I get queasy. I think it's just so strong and detoxing ... that it causes it. Even now I just take 'swigs' now and then when I pass through the kitchen! lol
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #1464

The kombucha doesn't bother me or DH at all. We bought a 16 oz bottle at the local farmer's market Sat and just had them pour it into a "to go" cup as we didn't want to pay the deposit. So we shared it all within 15 minutes and felt great! DH asked if there could be any adverse side effects and I said I didn't think so, but I guess we were fixin' to find out, lol.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #1465
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The kombucha doesn't bother me or DH at all. We bought a 16 oz bottle at the local farmer's market Sat and just had them pour it into a "to go" cup as we didn't want to pay the deposit. So we shared it all within 15 minutes and felt great! DH asked if there could be any adverse side effects and I said I didn't think so, but I guess we were fixin' to find out, lol.
A to go cup & a deposit? Cute! don't have anything like that here. Is your brew about done? Can't wait to hear about it!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wonder if the homemade stuff has more of a kick to it perhaps?

I 'cut my teeth' on the bottled boocha and drank about 8 oz of the 16 oz bottle with no problems the first time tried.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #1467

I bottled up 2 GT bottles from my brew today and then refed what was left and split my scoby and started another batch. My first tiny batch I bottled a couple days ago and after I let it sit about a day and a half I stuck it in the fridge. It's not a very good batch. It's the one I first experimented with and had added some SF juice to part of a bottle of KT and later fed with a bit of tea/sugar mix. Lol. Very mixed up concoction, lol. It did grow a tiny scoby and I've put it in with a bit of KT and tea/sugar mix to see if it will grow bigger. I feel like I really need to start a notebook so I can keep all this straight in my mind.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1468
Major LCF Poster!

Sandy, great going! Scoby Doo is on her 3rd brew & I kinda do her continuous now by siphoning the brew into a container to bottle. I decided to do a mix of black & green tea as the green seemed a little harsh to me -not like the GT. Grows well just too sharp.

I have several bottles of Blackberry going/drank 3 & found 4 day ferment then at least 4 in the fridge made it better. I think I am going to like the B&G together more than G alone. This is what I went to in both Scoby Doo & Cont. Brew tank. Scobito & Valoby sank , then turned on end, rotated a few times (dancing), then 1 went up to the other down to sleep on bottom. 36 hours later they were hugging each other on the top. FUN to watch!

Decided on 4th day to add black tea to cont tank - the extra caffein must have woke Scobito up-that was when she decided to go topside... ! I scooped off the jelly scoby that was forming when I stirred to incorporate the black tea & put it in a container with gren KT to start a hotel. It will prolly grow & finish but it was so full of yeast strings & knotted up after mixing I thought this would save her.

I think I am becoming too experimental! The mad scientist in me is coming out!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-12-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1469

After I posted earlier I went back in my mind and tried to remember exactly what I've done and in what order and wrote it all down. It might not be perfect but it's a start. I'm keeping track of my batches by numbering them. Hopefully they'll all turn out so well I won't have to worry about keeping track in the future and can then just start naming my scobys. Since I moved my brews upstairs where it's warmer I only see them a couple times a day. Maybe I need a kombucha baby TV monitor, lol.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #1470
Major LCF Poster!

Yes! I know exactly what you mean! I wonder how we carried our kids without peaking inside - it was impossible. Guess that is why we are so busy peaking every day!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-12-2011 at 03:58 PM..