Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #1411
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NatureOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillerfl View Post
Hi Selahgal!

I also brew water kefir . . . I'm overloaded with crystals . . . Anybody need some?

How do you brew your tibicos (water kefir)? I just had to rinse and re-start some of mine . . . I was out of town and it turned to sour for me.

Do you use organic lemons in yours?

Judy

PS. About the fizz . . . somewhere . . . out there in web land . . . I read that the carbonation forms after you bottle and cap it.
Hi Judy,

Well, after finally googling water kefir at the suggestion of Seleghal, I would LOVE to try making some myself. Sounds wonderful!

If you still have crystals you are willing to share, would you kindly drop me an e-mail? willow2nite@gmail.com

Thanks!!!
Mary
NatureOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #1412
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Anyone got any Kefir grains to share?:blush:
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #1413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitterly
Stats: 131/128/123
WOE: Sugar free and wine moderate
Start Date: today
they pulled Kombucha by Synergy off the shelves of my store. said it was 5% alcohol! no wonder I loved that stuff. dang it all, all of the drinking and driving i've probably done!

does anyone know if Synergy is being sued?

p.s. just looked at the news and the dumb lady from the store said 5% alcohol-- it's 0.5% alcohol. people and their ability to do math.

Last edited by Fitterly; 07-12-2010 at 06:57 AM..
Fitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #1414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
The FDA is to decide whether to allow it to continue as previous, or put it under the purview of the BATF. If the latter happens, you will need to show ID to buy it, have licensing for alcohol to sell it, and if you make it yourself you may be limited to how much you can make.

The common alcohol level in beer is 4.5 - 5.5% (not counting microbrews). You would have to drink on order of 9 bottles of kombucha to equal the alcohol in one bottle of beer, trying to get drunk on kombucha would just about tether you to a restroom.

And they did not pull just Synergy off the shelves, they pulled all kombucha off the shelves, at least in some areas.

Last edited by Faia; 07-12-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #1415

Ha, well I don't believe it, I wanna see more information, cause I don't drink regularly and I don't get that kind of buzz from Kombucha, I feel good,but it's different from the way I feel when i drink Table wine which is about 5% much more that 0.5% and that's already common knowledge that it has some alcohol.

Maybe there was an unbalanced batch that got tested.. That stinks, I'm glad I got a bottle last week to use as my new starter before they yanked it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #1416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Maybe there was an unbalanced batch that got tested.. That stinks, I'm glad I got a bottle last week to use as my new starter before they yanked it.
I didn't think of that. If kombucha gets handed over to the BATF, it will probably mean that we won't be able to exchange scobys freely anymore. It would be considered as wine/beer making supplies.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #1417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faia View Post
I didn't think of that. If kombucha gets handed over to the BATF, it will probably mean that we won't be able to exchange scobys freely anymore. It would be considered as wine/beer making supplies.
Scoby's are easy to make for yourself. I got an entire scoby hotel going!

Next thing ya know, the feds will be breaking down your door, guns drawn, demanding you hand over your scobys! What a crazy world.
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Last post 7/14/2010 Did everyone quit posting because of the recallN what is everyone doing with their SCOBYS? Are ya'll still brewingN
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #1419

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I started a thread today asking if anybody was still making their own kombucha or kefir. I hope somebody sees one of these and revives this topic again.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #1420

I've still got my brew and scoby but go through periods of not drinking.

I keep getting scared about it, about the fructose content. I wonder if its too much then I don't care and drink it anyway,... then I start worrying about my weight and whether it has too much sugar and stop drinking it.... I can't make up my mind, but I do love it so!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #1421

Thanks for the response Metqa. Do you know a good source to get a scoby? Or kefir grains. I've seen the online sources, but am kind of scared to just get one from just anybody. I'm trying to grow one right now from some GT kombucha and some unsweetened cranberry jucie and a bit of sugar. I guess I'll see what happens in a few days. My DH really liked what we bought the other day, but I got a different flavor & brand yesterday and he didn't like it as well. So I don't know if I should even pursue this if he's going to be picky about the flavors he'll drink. I told him I thought it was something he'd acquire a taste for and end up liking most of it. Do you think that's right?

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #1422

Haha, Don't hold your breath. BF seemed to sorta like it, but then I let him taste a different flavor and now he claims that original kombucha doesn't taste good, and he wants me to make him his own separate batches. Considering I can't keep my own brew going consistently , he's been woefully out of luck in that arena.

Um, sources? That's a toughie cause I got my scobie from a regular person but, hold on I used to know a place where I WOULD buy if I couldn't get one. Oh but you can grow your own from the GTs bottle, just get the unflavored one, and feed it only table sugar, water and black tea at first. let it grow a scoby on top, then feed it again and let it grow a second scoby then you will have one to use and one for backup.

I'll have to get back to you on the scoby source. I lost my computer data and I'll have to look them up again since I lost all my bookmarks.

ETA: I'd love to find a personal source for Kefir grains, but no one seems to have any extra.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 06-29-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #1423

happy herbalist and getkombucha both sell scobies. I can't comment on their service or quality cause I got my from a personal trade.

There are websites that have lists of local people who have posted their contact information for trading scobies within an area. If you look for your city you might find someone nearby who is brewing and willing to give up a scoby for shipping costs or pickup if you are close enough.

This link is the world wide kombucha exchange. People usually aren't selling but just asking you to cover shipping.
Kombucha Exchange Worldwide
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #1424

Thanks Metqa, I found a local person on craigslist who sells the scoby and the kefir. Now I just have to find time to go check them out. If I don't like the looks of the place I can always change my mind right? Lol. I read some where, ( I think on this thread someplace) that you can use a little GT's and some pure juice? That's what I'm trying right now. It's only been about 24 hours but something is forming on top already? I have no idea how to tell if it's right but I'm still researching. Thanks for the resource list; nobody in my states. I live in the Kansas City area; you'd think there'd be somebody! But like I said , I'll try the c-list source. Have you had any bad experiences with any of your brews?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #1425

Well, I'll say this. While you might grow a scoby with pure juice, it will not be viable for future brews.

The ABOMINATION that I made for my BF was a kombucha scoby used to ferment red grape juice. It fermented, it formed a scoby, but the scoby that formed , while it seemed to ferment the second batch of juice, the second scoby would not ferment the third batch of juice. I had to keep supply a fresh REAL scoby to ferment juice.

It's best to use only sugar and tea to grow a scoby, but if you have extra , feel free to use them to ferment other beverages. BF loved his Grape juice ABOMINATION ( I refuse to call it grape juice kombucha) but it was too sweet for my taste, even when I used half juice half water.

My kombucha grows several daughters and each daughter can be a potential backup, or a mother for a different brew. Always keep one scoby pure, sugar tea only, so if anything happens that can be your back up.

So far the worst thing that has happened is I've (regularly) let the brew get too strong and undrinkable. once the yeast had grown too much so I started a new batch with the uppermost daughter and the strained kombucha to remove some but not all of the yeast. We want yeast. if you don't have much yeast to start, natural yeast from the air will incubate and help it along. you kombucha will eventually become your own climates creation.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #1426

Oh, ok, thanks for that clarification. Well, we might at least get one small batch with just this one. Then I guess I'll attempt to grow my own, lol. I'm pretty sure my DH would love that grape juice abomination too, lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Oh, ok, thanks for that clarification. Well, we might at least get one small batch with just this one. Then I guess I'll attempt to grow my own, lol. I'm pretty sure my DH would love that grape juice abomination too, lol.

Oh, you really should try it at least once. It's not quite like wine but close, BF said it tasted too much like beer when it over fermented.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #1428
Major LCF Poster!

HI! So glad to see activity on this again.. Need a little help here... Can someone tell me where I can subscribe to this thread so I get notifications? I only have my little phone but can go to a puter if I needto.

may I offer some help? I have started my own SCOBY (Scoby Doo) from just a bottle in a dish of GT's Original. Covered it and in a while with patience a scoby formed! DO NOT MOVE IT AT ALL FOR A WEEK OR MORE TIL IT FORMS WELL!

When I get extras would be glad to gift for the postage.

& what kind of Kefir grains? Water or milk... I do both but don't have extra milk grains yet as they don't grow as fast as water. I can recommend Cultures For Health as a site for either.. Or, Sandy, I would be glad to gift WK grains in a few weeks as soon as mine increase 1/4 cup more. I am in KY you are in mid America so we must be close enough to mail.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #1429

Do you want to get email notifications each time someone posts? to do that, well, if you've posted here you should automatically be subscribed with email postings, but if you are not, go to your control panel and find the title of this thread. if it doesn't show at first click "view all subscribed threads" in the bottom right side.

Once you see all your subscriptions, click on the box on the right, then scroll down to the bottom and where the blue bar says "Selected Threads" and a drop down menu, drop the menu till you see the choices: Under Update Subscription Type: Choose instant email notification. then press the GO Button and Voia!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #1430
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Do you want to get email notifications each time someone posts? to do that, well, if you've posted here you should automatically be subscribed with email postings, but if you are not, go to your control panel and find the title of this thread. if it doesn't show at first click "view all subscribed threads" in the bottom right side.

Once you see all your subscriptions, click on the box on the right, then scroll down to the bottom and where the blue bar says "Selected Threads" and a drop down menu, drop the menu till you see the choices: Under Update Subscription Type: Choose instant email notification. then press the GO Button and Voia!
Metqa- thanks I do this from my phone so navigation is a bit tricky. I started reading this thread a month ago and was heartbroken when it abruptly quir. Got to know a lot of you personally in your Kombucha quest including the ABOMINATION. I am brewing now myself as a result of reading every post on this thread.

Have you tried brewing in coffee not grape juice? When I get a SCOBY ahead I am going to give this a try. From what I read on several sites it is mellow and brews better. I can't wait to try this. I am hooked on Kombacha the one with coffee has a couple names Koffucha & a late Koffucha Latte also the name KomBuffe.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #1431

That coffee brew sounds interesting. Thanks for the offer of the WK. I'd love to take you up on that, so I'll stay posted to see how you're doing. I'm glad this thread got revived too.

I don't get email notifications but everytime I come to LCF's (which is A LOT) I always click on "control panel" first. Any thread that I've posted in or subscribed to that has new posts since my last reading show up there. Then if you click the little triangle type thingy in front of the name of the thread, it will take you to the first new post since you visitted last. I hope that makes sense, lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #1432

Koffucha!!???

KomBuffe!!??Pfffttt! I love this, who'dve thunk it! Coffee Kombucha! Wow!

Last edited by metqa; 06-29-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1433
Major LCF Poster!

Well, when I get a newbie to play with I have a Sun Tea jar waiting to do continuiius berw with coffee. 3qt cooled organic coffee with 1 cup dissolved sugar (like KT), add extra SCOBY & 1 or 2 cups KT on top (like KT). Brew the same.

Iced Koffuca Latte
8oz Koffuca in a blender
2oz milk Kefir
sweetner of choice to taste
Ice
Blend and I am told enjoy.

We will see!

@ Metqa - cindy was a major poster on this thread- do you know if she is well? I have been very concerned about her & since this site is new to me, I am clueless as to how to find out if she is OK. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #1434
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
That coffee brew sounds interesting. Thanks for the offer of the WK. I'd love to take you up on that, so I'll stay posted to see how you're doing. I'm glad this thread got revived too.

I don't get email notifications but everytime I come to LCF's (which is A LOT) I always click on "control panel" first. Any thread that I've posted in or subscribed to that has new posts since my last reading show up there. Then if you click the little triangle type thingy in front of the name of the thread, it will take you to the first new post since you visitted last. I hope that makes sense, lol.
Thanks will try that! excited about this thread being revived- old posts were so informative & FUN TO READ!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #1435

Grrr, i bought a bottle of plain kombucha today, but it's not GTs and it's pasteurized. So it won't grow a scoby, right? I'm slowly getting all my stuff together and think I'll just grow my own scoby. Eventually.

I found several suntea jars today, but they were all plastic!! And most had the push button spigot too. I might break down and buy a pretty one on a stand at BB&B with a coupon.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #1436
Major LCF Poster!

I couldn't find 1 @ BB&B but I found 1 @ JC Penny home store 4 $30 2 1/2 gal on a stand. Almost all have plastic spouts but that is ok.

Email me @ iamfaithfultojesus@gmail.com & we can better communicate
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #1437

plastic spouts are okay. I'm glad you didn't get the BB&B one, the spigot is too high on the wall. It would've been a pain to empty properly...

Neat you found one with a stand. I keep planning to buy a stand but putting it off.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #1438

I didn't get one at all! I saw 3 diff types at BB&B. I'll be sure to look at that spout location though before I buy. I have tea cooling and I went and bought some GT plain kombucha so I'm ready to roll! I'm still going to keep my first little jar of juice stuff going though, just to see what it turns in to.

Now I need kefir grains!! And maybe a lab, lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1439

I started with a glass cookie jar, so it can be done so long as you have the desire. The spigot just makes it easier to decant, but is NOT a requirement for the brew.

I hope your juicy idea is tasty.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #1440

Okey dokey, I have my new batch set to brewing. Now all I have to do is tap my foot and wait..........and I'm not very good at waiting, lol.

I am happy to say that we both really like the plain KT a lot. I wasn't sure if we would or not so whew!