Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #1321
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
A box elaine? What do you mean???
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
Hey. Haven't been around in a while. Started an out-side-the-house job about 3 months ago. I can't make Kombucha at my house due to temperature fluctuation, but I can make it here at work.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #1323

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Sashimi! Long Time No See!

I hope you can get started.

I need to either grow a new scoby or ask for a transfer myself. My batch went kaploowey a couple months ago, and I've been to lazy to start fresh.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #1324

ok, I can now send out at least 2 SCOBY'S. Metga......what is the most efficient way to send out a SCOBY? Maybe food saver? over night? Help me out and I'll get them out. However, if they need to go fed ex, I will need postage. I'm one broke soul right now!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
ok, I can now send out at least 2 SCOBY'S. Metga......what is the most efficient way to send out a SCOBY? Maybe food saver? over night? Help me out and I'll get them out. However, if they need to go fed ex, I will need postage. I'm one broke soul right now!
Dang Girl, We're Soul Sisters!

I've never actually tried the Foodsaver!
I just get some Glad or other name brand freezer bags with the double line of zippers. I put the scoby (depending on size) into the smallest bag that can hold it plus 1-2 cups of starter. Then I stuff that into a second bag. and maybe a third for puncture security.

Unites States Post Office has little shipper boxes that no matter what you put into it, if it fits it only costs $4.95 to ship in the USA, and it is Priority Mail so it goes fast. Overnight is not neccessary.

When I sent mine out, I charged the cost of this postage plus maybe an extra dollar to cover the bags and driving to the post office. They say they can pick them up from your house, but since I was shipping liquid, I turned it into the counter, but I think they said it was so minor it didn't matter, since it's not forbidden to ship.

if you go online to USPS.com they will deliver a set of shipper boxes to you for free. and you can print address labels online, and if you know the weight, you can pay the postage online with CC.

You can either have folks send you a check or use pay pal to cover shipping expenses.

HTH.

ETA: Can I have one?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 12-04-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #1326
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
My scoby storage house got contaminated with fruit flies. I didn't notice it for a day or two but the rubber band broke and fruit flies got in. I had to compost the whole thing.

I also used USPS when I sent a scoby out, I triple bagged it just to be on the safe side. USPS is quick (usually 1-3 days).
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #1327

Quote:
ok, I can now send out at least 2 SCOBY'S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

ETA: Can I have one?
Yeeheeheehee! Hey Fawn, I've got FILM!!!

I've been looking and watching, and it's been 72 degrees in the kitchen so I figured it would take a while.
Oh, I was ill last week and bought some boocha to drink, so I bought an extra bottle to add to the scoby you gave me. ( I worry about contamination with the mold fiasco of last summer, I added vinegar at first, but wish I had just done the boocha, cause now I gotta wait for the regular vinegar taste to go away.) So with your scoby and the boocha boost, It looks like it finally decided to film up.
Oh, and I chugged the other bottle. OMG, kombucha just makes me feel good! I can't wait to drink from my own batch.

Hey did you get anything in the mail yet!

Oh thanks you so much for helping me to restart my boocha factory. I've been so fatigued lately and I know a regular dose of boocha would do my body good!

I think I won't go as vinegary as I had been before, though I do like it strong, and not as sweet.

Anyone else notice that kombucha tastes different when you are sick? It didn't taste as good, but I still craved it as I drank it, like normal. It may have just been me. All my food and drink tasted off last week. Thank God for Spices!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Wow I am SO THRILLED to find this big thread about kombucha! I've been making it at home and enjoying it for several months now. I also make water kefir and milk kefir. I began low carb again on the 18th of Jan. and my kombucha and milk kefir got put in 'hold mode' [suspended animation?] because I wasn't sure if I could have them with a low carb lifestyle. I have continued to drink a bit of my beautiful water kefir tho.

I have skimmed over the first few pages of this big thread and will continue to read through them. But I just wanted to say HI and I will really enjoy being a part of this thread. From what I have read here, it seems I can fire up my kombucha making again even on low carb eh? No carbies in it right?

Marci

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #1329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
While not exactly "zero" carb, kombucha typically starts with less sugar than most commercial beverages, then a good portion of the sugar is consumed in the process. Unfortunately there is no easy way to determine the exact end carb count without a hydrometer and some math.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #1330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Glad this got bumped up, as I wanted to add that I brewed a batch of KT with Thai tea (the tea, not with the milk--it has chicory in it) and I'm drinking it now, and this stuff is FAN FLIPPING TASTIC. Soo. Good.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #1331

I got it Metga thank you!! It was so funny because the mailman looked at me funny and said "Fawn"? I told him that was my stage name....It was at my Real Estate office
My real name is Misty...

I have plenty of extra SCOBY's if anyone wants them. I want to send them all out in one day though. I can probably send out 10!!! Here's the gig, I want to send them all on the same day with the money collected for postage so let me know!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #1332
Major LCF Poster!

HI Misty! I get mail with my 'stage' name too but my mailman doesn't ever say anything. Too funny. I LOVE your avatar. Oh yeah. We finally found a local guy who raises pure beef AS A HOBBY and we bought half a cow!!! No hormones, no antibiotics, just grass, hay and corn. Corn & hay for the winter months here in north central Indiana! SO HAPPY we got a supplier!

Yeah, I'd say kombucha has low sugar, low carb and is ok to enjoy with a low carb lifestyle. It's not like I'm guzzling down gallons a day. I got a nice thick scoby that's ready to come out of hiding again and start cranking up the kombucha! You ever see that guy on youtube.com with the giant kombucha? He's got two vids and he makes it by the gallon, several gallons in fact. His scoby looks the size of a dinner plate and is about three inches high!

Marci

Oyvey, love your nick ... it's a favorite expression of mine!

Last edited by Selahgal; 01-27-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #1333

Yeah Marci! that's fabulous that you found some clean beef!!! All of my 5 SCOBY's are about 2 inches high.......I'm being a SCOBY hog and need to make more room for KT!

Forgot to add on the other post that the shipping is $5 within the states!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1334

no takers?? I'm giving them away locally if I don't hear today.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #1335

Spread the JOY! OUr local Co-op kept saying they would brew, but kept procrastinating. But too bad for them I got my own scoby and started brewing on my own. Lost business.
I think it's great that we can share this! It's like sour dough. or grandama's pickle pot!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #1336

No more for you M? I'll save them until Monday then I need to get rid of some of these fluffy pancakes!!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #1337

My scoby is bright and growing! So I think I'm Good to GO!

I should probably taste it and feed it again now that I can see that it is growing well. I flung my 3 inch old scobys into the woods. I wonder who will try to eat them?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #1338
Major LCF Poster!

I got out my 'old' scoby from it's resting place and fired up another batch. Meanwhile I had two bottles of kombucha from over a month ago and both were growing new scobies! I am wondering if it's better to 'retire' older scobies and move on with fresh new ones or does it matter? My 'old' one is about 10 layers and still works well and is really only about two or three months old.

Marci
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #1339
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmillerfl
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2009
Scoby and General Kombucha Questions

Hi everyone. Just registered. So - o - o glad I found your forum. I've been brewing Kombucha now for about 4 months or so.

I was first introduced to it by my sister, who bought me a few bottles of the GT. After the local Food Lion started carrying it, I couldn't (and still can't) stop buying it, between my brewing times. Fortunately, the bottles it comes in are GREAT for my home brew. (Though, trying to get the darn labels off the bottles is NOT easy!) I am so addicted, I drink up my 2 gallons of brew fairly quickly!

I grew my first scoby from a recipe I found somewhere on the the www using a bottle of the original GT. It was a bit thin. I brewed it for about a month hoping it would get thicker, like the pancake looking ones I see, but mine only got about 1/8 inch thick and very lumpy. After about a month, I tested it and it was perhaps a bit more vinegary than GT, but it was still good. It was a green tea brew. The scoby itself, while lumpy, had thicker parts in it with the light beige color with lots of stringy goo, which I know is good - though it looks disgusting. (My sons refuse to drink it because of it.)

The next brew I put the scoby into did grow another thin one, which I separated into two, also thin ones.

What is considered a normal thickness of the scoby?

I haven't separated any of them since the third brew. They are about 1/2 inch thick now, but I could probably pull off one or two layers from each, if 1/8 inch thickness is acceptable. Each new layer is also lumpy, will they ever change to the smooth pancake looking ones I see?

Another question I have, which you may have answered already but I want to clarify that I understand correctly is, Does the carbonation increase during the 5 day waiting time after you bottle it? What is the time range I should consider before refrigerating the brew.

I love the fizziness of GT. Some batches seem to produce more carbonation than others, but I have been bottling it and refrigerating it as soon as it's bottled. Is that why it seems sort of flat?

Also, in my third brew, I used 4 green tea bags, and 2 yerba matte bags.

Also, what is the general brewing time. I noticed on the GT bottle, they say theirs is brewed 30 days, but some of the recipes I've seen say a week to two weeks. Mine just doesn't seem to be ready in that time.

I live in Florida, and usually we have warm weather all year, with some cold snaps here and there. This year it has been unseasonably cold - we even had snow! - and a few freezes, so I couldn't leave it outside in the warmth as usual, and we keep the indoor temp around 72 to 74. This may be why the first brew was the best so far. I kept it on our enclosed lanai in the heat for almost the entire brewing time.

I also want to respond to the lady who is on the low carb diet. I too am a low carb fanatic. When I started drinking the kombucha I had been on a plateau for about 6 weeks . . . as soon as I added it to my diet, I lost another 10 pounds quickly . . . it really jump started my metabolism. I'd rather give up something else than give up the few carbs that's in the kombucha.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
jmillerfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #1340
Major LCF Poster!

"I love the fizziness of GT. Some batches seem to produce more carbonation than others, but I have been bottling it and refrigerating it as soon as it's bottled. Is that why it seems sort of flat?"

Yes that has been my experience too. Now I just bottle it and let it sit with a tight lid in a plastic bottle until the bottle has a solid 'thump' when you tap it. LOADS of fizz that way! I learned that from this guy:
SO GLAD to know I can enjoy my 'boocha' with my low carb lifestyle!!! CHEERS!!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #1341
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmillerfl
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks so much for the video Selahgal, I really want to see part 2!
jmillerfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillerfl View Post
Thanks so much for the video Selahgal, I really want to see part 2!
Part 2 is also on youtube.com and many other videos about making kombucha!!!

Have fun!!

Marci
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #1343

Hi Jm and welcome!

To answer a couple of your questions

1. My SCOBY'S are about 4 inches thick right now and that's why I need to get rid of some but you'll find that the growing babies take up valuable KT space so you should thin them out.

2. The increase in carbonation actually happens best between the time you bottle and the time you refrigerate but it also increases in acidity as well so that's a personal taste choice. I usually leave mine out for about 3 days and that suits me.

3. Brew time varies between black and green teas. Green generally about 14-21 days and blacks 7-10 days. I generally use black and go 10 days. When I go 10 or more on black it's too vinergar tasting. And, the colder the brew room, the longer the brew!

Thanks for the video Marci!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #1344
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

1. My SCOBY'S are about 4 inches thick right now and that's why I need to get rid of some but you'll find that the growing babies take up valuable KT space so you should thin them out.

2. The increase in carbonation actually happens best between the time you bottle and the time you refrigerate but it also increases in acidity as well so that's a personal taste choice. I usually leave mine out for about 3 days and that suits me.

3. Brew time varies between black and green teas. Green generally about 14-21 days and blacks 7-10 days. I generally use black and go 10 days. When I go 10 or more on black it's too vinergar tasting. And, the colder the brew room, the longer the brew!
FOUR INCHES THICK??????????? Holy cow, that's THICK!!! Guess these things can get as big as you allow them eh??? Mine is as wide as the quart mason jar it's in, but I'm wondering if I should peel off some layers. It looks like a gray slick flaky biscuit! HAHA.

14 to 21 days??? WOW. Mine takes about a week or so to be just right for me, not too sweet [barely sweet if at all] and not too tart. Mileage many vary I guess!!! Heh

I mostly use green teas, but has anyone here tried other teas with any success???

Marci
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #1345

I only use black and green Marci.....I've thought of trying a yerba mate since I have a huge bag of it (my neighbor owns Guayaki and gave it to me) and far too many scoby's.

I'm a freak about sugar so I let mine go a bit longer for a higher vinegar content.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #1346
Major LCF Poster!

I am trying different teas ... prefer herbals now that I've used up my batch of green tea bags with caffeine! Heh.

I also drink yerbamate [mostly I use the instant, but haven't since doing low carb as it's a bit carby!], and par d'arco tea too as well as Jiaogulan Gynostemma Tea.

We'll see how they do! This is such a great way to get more healthy teas AND probiotics as well. EXCELLENT!!!

Marci

Last edited by Selahgal; 02-02-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #1347

IF you do herbals, I'd try a blend of herbals and real tea leaves since herbals are not actual from the tea plant.

And be careful. The reason you can't use Earl Grey is because it is tea leaves with essential oil of Bergamot. Essensial plant oils can kill bacteria, so be careful of what herbs you choose that they don't antagonize your scoby culture.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
My scoby storage house got contaminated with fruit flies.
Mine too but for a different reason:

I'm making my official declaration of the unsuitability of cheese cloth as a protective barrier!

I love cheese cloth for all sorts of uses but it seems more often than not that it is not tightly woven enough to protect a scoby hotel.

I've got a few fruit flies here and there, but I attributed it to my poor pouring skills and the hidden sticky spots I fail to wipe up. They were never in my brewer so I wasn't concerned. My two brewing jars have flour sack cloth over them. Y'kow the really tightly woven stuff you can use to cover yeast bread during rises, or hold flour or used as kitchen rags. My hotel is covered with cheese cloth.

Well I just found out that my scoby hotel had become a fruit fly hotel, in that they figured out a way to navigate into and out of the tightly rubber-banded loosely woven cheesecloth cover. It seemed good enough but I guess given enough time, they can work their way tween the weave. The scoby will now bless the forest behind my building.I needed to start a new hotel anyway.

So DO NOT USE LOOSELY WOVEN CHEESE CLOTH AS A BARRIER. Duck cloth or even unbleached cotton muslin got from the remnant bin at Joanne's Fabric would be better. I like the kitchen cloths. they are the perfect size to cut and sew into fourths to cover my jars and very tightly woven with no lint or loose ends.

End of Public Service Announcement!

BTW Dawn, My Kombucha tastes great! Your Scoby is doing a great job!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #1349
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: staynfit
Hi, this thread came up in a google search. I am getting ready to order a Mother SCOBY after I decide on what kind of vessel to buy. Hmm, batch or continious? Walmart has 2 gallon wide mouths jars that would work for batch. I would like continuous but I cannot decide on a vessel. Maybe I should start with batch and see how that goes?

Which method do y'all prefer?

I am so happy I was lead back to this forum - love the organic forum!!
staynfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #1350
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

So DO NOT USE LOOSELY WOVEN CHEESE CLOTH AS A BARRIER. Duck cloth or even unbleached cotton muslin got from the remnant bin at Joanne's Fabric would be better. I like the kitchen cloths. they are the perfect size to cut and sew into fourths to cover my jars and very tightly woven with no lint or loose ends.
What we use was labeled as "potato sack towels" and works quite well.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote