Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #1261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Would you all please indulge me in this question (I don't have time to search the thread although I know the answer is there somewhere!)...On the Synergy bottles of KT it says 8 carbs/serving (so 16 carbs/bottle). For those of you counting carbs, is this what you are counting? I can't remember what was said about the "carb exception" rule on KT. I am planning to go as VLC as I can and am not sure I can fit KT in at 8 carbs/serving TIA! Hope all is well in KT brewing land!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #1262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Would you all please indulge me in this question (I don't have time to search the thread although I know the answer is there somewhere!)...On the Synergy bottles of KT it says 8 carbs/serving (so 16 carbs/bottle). For those of you counting carbs, is this what you are counting? I can't remember what was said about the "carb exception" rule on KT. I am planning to go as VLC as I can and am not sure I can fit KT in at 8 carbs/serving TIA! Hope all is well in KT brewing land!
We have no clue and wonder about that ourselves. The doctor creator of the "GO diet" says he tested the carbs in yogurt and claim that 75% (I think) are eaten by the bacteria and transformed to lactic acid (i believe - doing this from faulty memory) someone else disputes this theory & claims that sugar is just converted to another form of sugar.

They say 95% of KT's sugar is converted to beneficial acids and that only 5% of fructose remains. I "think" they have to include the sugar carbs "pre conversion" but I can't get a clear understanding.

I have gained a lot of weight BUT I went off massive doses of thyroid meds and my stepsis plied me with sugar for 2 months, but I didn't start gaining weight while doing KT (I don't think)

Acetic acid is supposed to lower blood sugar - KT is 1% acetic acid.
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #1263
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info Cindy, I guess I will have to try one week with and one week without and see if there is any difference in weight loss. I'd hate to have to give it up, but I could make my own special KT rung on the carb ladder!!

Anybody else find they have lost/gained while consuming KT? I want to go VLC for a while and not sure how it will fit in??
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #1264
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tehrob
Hello all, ok, it's late I have spent way too long reading this thread and it is not even my first time here. I have been brewing Kombucha for about 2 months(2 1/2 cycles of KT) and you guys were one of my first big helps. I am using suntea jars, and started out with a scoby from craigslist.

I went a little crazy with the sugar the first batch, and used almost 3 cups for my 3 quarts of tea. It was very sweet, like southern sweet tea sweet, and I loved it, and so did my scoby evidently, cause it produced a wonderfully sweet yet very sour KT(I let it sit for about 15 days). I did it again the same way, and again got good results.

Now for my third batch. I decided to go a different route, I used apple juice. It is from a local ranch, is unpasturized, and on the lable it says "Nothing added but our name". I made 3 batches, one with just tea, one with just juice, and one with a mix of the 2 half and half. The apple juice has 31g of sugar in it per cup, which should be more than enough for the scoby, and since making cider vinegar seems to be much the same processes(or so i think i have read), minus the scoby and wait times measured in months rather than days. Does this sound completely unsafe to anyone else? I have read about metqa's grape juice experiment. It does not scare me. I am pretty cautious, and if anything looks at all hinkey I will flush this stuuf in a heartbeat, but I a tempted.

I have found it fun to experiment with things like this since I was a kid with a bucket of sand, mudand water and just letting it sit.. honestly cause I liked the smell it got after a few days. lol I find this giant seamonkey to be a fun little pet, and cheaper and more lifestyle compatible for me than a dog. I would like to do a few experiments since I will have many many extra scobys soon.

I think my next one will be with just water and sugar. I just want to see what it produces. Feel free to beat me to it though

Someday, I would love to see how a scoby grows in space. it might not be able to, cause I would imaging it would eventually surround the sphere of water and dry out on top. Would need a mister, and a straw to get at the kombuchaey goodness inside.

Thank you all for the inspiration, and I look forward to future conversations.

Last edited by tehrob; 08-31-2009 at 02:35 AM..
tehrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 AM   #1265
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehrob View Post
I used apple juice. The apple juice has 31g of sugar in it per cup, Does this sound completely unsafe to anyone else? I have read about metqa's grape juice experiment.

I think my next one will be with just water and sugar.
As I posted (1261) above, I worry about the bacteria living - mine died and you can't tell the difference from a live scoby and a dead one.

You need a healthy dominant bacteria & yeast balance to control the brew, otherwise you risk infestation of unhealthy bacteria & yeast.

Unlike mold, unhealthy bacterial growth would be undetectable.

Grapes are unique in their sugar structure being from glucose, UNLIKE MOST FRUITS with fructose. The bacteria requires sucrose or glucose.

Metqa's abomination has reproduced with subsequent batches, so it must be alive. Her bf is alive & well also.

My personal opinion is that I do not feel comfortable encouraging this form of experimentation though in the scoby brewing process.

My only concern is your health & well being.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 08-31-2009 at 03:48 AM..
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #1266
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
As I posted (1261) above, I worry about the bacteria living - mine died and you can't tell the difference from a live scoby and a dead one.

You need a healthy dominant bacteria & yeast balance to control the brew, otherwise you risk infestation of unhealthy bacteria & yeast.

Unlike mold, unhealthy bacterial growth would be undetectable.

Grapes are unique in their sugar structure being from glucose, UNLIKE MOST FRUITS with fructose. The bacteria requires sucrose or glucose.

Metqa's abomination has reproduced with subsequent batches, so it must be alive. Her bf is alive & well also.

My personal opinion is that I do not feel comfortable encouraging this form of experimentation though in the scoby brewing process.

I have been pondering this since you answered my question about the limeade I was experimenting with. Since you can't tell if a scoby is dead or alive and can't detect unhealthy bacterial growth, would the only way to know be a tummy after ingesting it? I don't want to find out that way!! My limeade scoby went from a slinky slip to a big fat happy (looking) scoby. I have tried a small straw full of a taste and I'm okay It tasted semi-sweet/getting sour. I know our health is of concern to all of us but does this sound like it's a live scoby without unhealthy bacterial growth? I'm not willing to experiment at my health's expense!!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #1267
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Believe me! Mine too! lol

That said, as I said before, I am doing this more for fun than for even health reasons. I hope that kombucha is good for me, but I know too that it is many other things in balance that are going to make my life better in the long run.

So I am looking at this from a more scientific/curiosity/experimentation point of view more than anything. I don't know that I will end up trying any of my concoctions, be they called kombucha or not. I have extra scoby that no one around me wants, and I don't really want to throw them out. they are my babies after all.

It is however good to have at least a partial definition of what would be considered successful presented to me. So the few things I think I will be looking for in order to call it successful, will be:

1. It is able to reproduce across multiple(say at least 2) generations in the same sugar substrate.

2. It maintains it's texture and density, and its color is consistent with the fluid it is living in.

3. That the liquid it is in starts turning from sweet to the familiar sour of kombucha.

4. ??? any other suggestions?

I do realize I may be messing about with tradition, but I promise you and advise you too to not play around with your health, because you only have one life in this game.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #1268
Junior LCF Member

PS I have come to claim the title of "Master of Abominations" for myself it seems haha!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #1269
Junior LCF Member

A video of my creations thus far.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #1270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have been pondering this since you answered my question about the limeade I was experimenting with. Since you can't tell if a scoby is dead or alive and can't detect unhealthy bacterial growth, would the only way to know be a tummy after ingesting it? I don't want to find out that way!! My limeade scoby went from a slinky slip to a big fat happy (looking) scoby. I have tried a small straw full of a taste and I'm okay It tasted semi-sweet/getting sour. I know our health is of concern to all of us but does this sound like it's a live scoby without unhealthy bacterial growth? I'm not willing to experiment at my health's expense!!
If it's growing & reproducing, it's alive. I'm not saying it can't live & thrive in various mediums, I just want you to be cautious.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

I watched the video. My scobys died and I drank the brews for 5 cycles thereafter (didn't occur to me that they died, I thought the yeasts had just overwhelmed the bacteria) and they didn't have the vinegary bite but they weren't bad. My last brew was different and I didn't drink the results, but the yeasts are still alive and doing their thing. It all looked same as always.

They must have died 3 months ago and they look basically the same still but no growth, no babies. I would think they would grow mold or *something*. I still want to do another batch of fresh tea to coax them back (but I know it's useless). No vinegar flies even (which should be a dead -pardon the pun- giveaway).
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #1272
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If it's growing & reproducing, it's alive. I'm not saying it can't live & thrive in various mediums, I just want you to be cautious.
Whew! Thanks, so much! Can't wait for my first glass of lime KT!!

Quote:
A video of my creations thus far. YouTube - Kombucha Kronicle #2
Loved it! Love the visual!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #1273
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Oh Okay! I think my Brew is Dead! It's just not right since I took the monster Mama scobies out.

It still growing scobys on top, but it is flat and weak, nd flavorless and not at all fizzy. Maybe my yeast is dead, I dunno. It's color has gotten very light, lighter than normal. I started with a really strong starter left over from my last batches and decided to go continuous, but it's just no going right. I think I'm gonna have to pour out all of it and buy a bottle of commercial GT just to get the right balance back. It was fine till I removed my oldest scoby, maybe that was it. I guess i could put it back in and see what happens.

Usually the KT gets stronger the longer it sits and turns into acid, mine is so weak it tastes like weak tea and vinegar.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #1274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
metqa - sometimes I think we might just overwhelm our little babies - it might be that they need some time to get stronger. You could try draining off most of the brew and let them set for a while in a concentrated bath to get stronger - if they are not having to eat massive quantities of sugar tea they won't have to work so much and they conserve energy to make themselves big and strong. Just a thought before you ditch the whole thing and start new.

Right now, my babies are getting a transluscent film, but not really developing a nice opaque layer. I think I am going to pour some of the brew off (might even just bottle it even though it is kind of sweet) and let them try and grow strong - I know they are ok, it just that they aren't getting strong...

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie

Last edited by JoSkids; 09-06-2009 at 10:36 AM..
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #1275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Just a reminder that I have a TON of scoby's and strong KT. I'd be happy to send them out if anyone needs them. Metqa, I'm sure the scoby babies would love to be back home!

Back from vacation and the KT is doing great (I drained off most of the KT, added fresh sweet tea and just let it sit until I came home). It's not as fizzy as when I left, but I think tempurature may have something to do with it. It was so hot a few weeks ago, now it's raining and cold. I actually had to turn the heat on today!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #1276

Thanks Jo, Ang.

That's why I'm worried. My brews usually run way ahead of me, and I started with something like battery acid so it was really strong to start. I hadn't added any fresh sugar in almost a month I think, so it should have gotten stronger but instead weaker. I think I will put the backups from the hotel back in, just to get it back to what I had before.

Man I was really really wanting some too after my last really awesome freakin' bottle. sigh! I'm so deprive that even rice vinegar in water tasted good ( no I'm not that desperate, I needed a vinegar drink and was out of apple cider)

Hey Ang, you made me think, maybe it's been to hot. I don't run AC and it got really really hot for weeks before all those storms last week. maybe it was too warm. Oh well, start from scratch.

Thanks for the tips. I'll put the babies back in and let 'er go.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #1277
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm. you all got me thinking about my bottled KT. I had bottled up (in plastic water bottles, put in fridge) about 6 bottles and then decided to go VLC so haven't had much KT lately. I had one the other day and although it tasted great, not much fizz, tartness etc. Can it lose it's pizazz if left in bottles too long? None of my KT is ever REALLY fizzy, just a bit fizzy.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #1278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
Blah. I SO wanted to make KT this year, but kinda forgot about it until recently. And now it's starting to get cool here so I prolly won't be making it again this year. Oh well.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #1279

Dude!?!?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Oh Okay! I think my Brew is Dead! It's just not right since I took the monster Mama scobies out.

It still growing scobys on top, but it is flat and weak, nd flavorless and not at all fizzy. Maybe my yeast is dead, I dunno. It's color has gotten very light, lighter than normal. I started with a really strong starter left over from my last batches and decided to go continuous, but it's just no going right. I think I'm gonna have to pour out all of it and buy a bottle of commercial GT just to get the right balance back. It was fine till I removed my oldest scoby, maybe that was it. I guess i could put it back in and see what happens.

Usually the KT gets stronger the longer it sits and turns into acid, mine is so weak it tastes like weak tea and vinegar.
I *think* the yeast overpowers the bacteria. Try removing the top portion and leaving the dark brown bits from the bottom out. (Don't use a spigot)
Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #1281
Junior LCF Member

the continuing saga of my brew. Just an update for any text only people out there, 12 days of brewing. I have given up on my apple based KT, mostly cause it just didn't look right, and the small small taste I had was not TOO gross, but i think it is fair to say that it was definitely a quick and dirty version of Apple Cider. The mixed (half tea half juice) container was better though it had a LOT of bubbles in the scoby. It however maintained an apple-y flavor. Those are both gone now. what remains is a 5 gallon pickle jar from my local Cash and Carry for $30. I added the entire 3/4gallon of my last batch of Fully tea KT. Hopefully this will turn into my CBS. If not, it is back to square 1. The video just ran out before I was done, but after the recording ended, I put the scoby in the bottom of the tank, and added the entire contents of the KT gallon jar. Then secured paper towel with rubber band. we shall see how it goes, but take a look at the video, and let me know if I have done anything horribly horribly wrong cheers.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #1282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
YouTube - Kombucha Kronicle #3

the continuing saga of my brew. Just an update for any text only people out there, 12 days of brewing. I have given up on my apple based KT, mostly cause it just didn't look right, and the small small taste I had was not TOO gross, but i think it is fair to say that it was definitely a quick and dirty version of Apple Cider. The mixed (half tea half juice) container was better though it had a LOT of bubbles in the scoby. It however maintained an apple-y flavor. Those are both gone now. what remains is a 5 gallon pickle jar from my local Cash and Carry for $30. I added the entire 3/4gallon of my last batch of Fully tea KT. Hopefully this will turn into my CBS. If not, it is back to square 1. The video just ran out before I was done, but after the recording ended, I put the scoby in the bottom of the tank, and added the entire contents of the KT gallon jar. Then secured paper towel with rubber band. we shall see how it goes, but take a look at the video, and let me know if I have done anything horribly horribly wrong cheers.
What fun to watch! I am still pretty new to this but it looks as if you are doing everything right. I usually don't wash my scobies when I transfer them. Is there a reason for that? I have been experimenting with different juices, too, and am starting to wittle down to just cran/tea KT.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #1283
Junior LCF Member

Thanks j!

I have had fun doing this. I don't really wash it, soap would kill it as far as I can tell. Best I can explain it is that I rinse it and at the same time am checking for irregularities that I don't want in my next batch. I admit I usually wash the yeast strings off if it, but then I go and stick it right back into the same liquid it was in before(just less concentrated once added to the new tea).

I am really mixed in my feelings as to the results of my apple juice only kombucha. The scoby that did grow on top of the old one, and to quite a thick size I might add, but was lumpy on top, which I would bet was from all the foam on top of the apple juice at first. I would strain any apple juice that I use in the future to get any sediment out for sure. I am not sure what I would have to do to the apple juice to make it drinkable. Maybe I could put a lot more sugar into it at the beginning, it almost tasted like the scoby ran out of sugar and started eating anything else it could to survive? It did not seem to have a problem with the type of sugar, just the quantity. I guess I could just brew for a shorter period of time, but I like the longer brewing times. They just require more food for the trip.

After trying the kombucha with juice and tea... I may try at least a small batch again in the future, strained first of course. I currently have a batch that I am expecting not to make it, with a scoby only, in only a sugar solution. I realize that the starter liquid acts to fill in the gap between the scoby and whatever medium it is in, but I am confident in my little guy... and if not.. then to greener pastures he goes.

brew well!

Quote:
What fun to watch! I am still pretty new to this but it looks as if you are doing everything right. I usually don't wash my scobies when I transfer them. Is there a reason for that? I have been experimenting with different juices, too, and am starting to wittle down to just cran/tea KT.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #1284
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I just found this thread. I love this stuff and drink it most days of the week.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I just found this thread. I love this stuff and drink it most days of the week.
So are you going to jump right in and start a-brewing? I am fairly new to this but let us know if you need help! This thread (and all the peeps on it) was SO helpful to me.

tehrob-okay, maybe I will have to try the white grape juice brew that I've been considering. So, you think maybe add a bit more sugar to the juice?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #1286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Back online from the move, but have been in mourning. My babies died! Someone set them all out in direct, almost 100* heat (the hotel was glass!) to keep from knocking over and getting the smelly stuff all over. SIGH. Am waiting for a good payday to reorder another 5 gal brewer- (it got cracked) and start over.
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #1287

OHH,Heads would Roll!

I'm sorry that happened!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #1288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
Back online from the move, but have been in mourning. My babies died! Someone set them all out in direct, almost 100* heat (the hotel was glass!) to keep from knocking over and getting the smelly stuff all over. SIGH. Am waiting for a good payday to reorder another 5 gal brewer- (it got cracked) and start over.

Aww that is so sad. Poor little (or big) guys! I might have a baby ready so let me know if you need a baby. I know Biker Ang is back from vacation and has lots of babies!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #1289
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I have TONs of babies, and would be happy to mail some out (plus some extremely strong starter tea). Sorry that happened Pepperette!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #1290
Junior LCF Member

So this is all from one experiment, and I have no training in this kind of thing, so these are to be sure my amateur thoughts, but yes, I think that would be a positive direction to try. This is what I know:

The apple juice I started with on the side said that it had 31g of sugar per cup of juice. I have just done some quick calculations, and with 3 cups of sugar to 1 gallon of tea, it get about 36g of sugar per cup of sweet tea I have been using for the tea. The combo of the two would be about 33g.

If that is the case, then my last 3 batches as seen in the video had 31, 33, and 36g of sugar per cup at the start of the process with the PVSTea, tea and juice, and straight apple juice respectively. While it doesn't sound like much, maybe it was the difference. The other theory I have is that there are other proteins, or elements in the juice that the scoby is interacting with, especially when it doesn't have enough sugar to eat.

So bottom line, is YES go try it! tell your results don't drink it if it doesn't look right.

PS. straining the juice if it has any sediment in it would be my only other advice.

Quote:
:tehrob-okay, maybe I will have to try the white grape juice brew that I've been considering. So, you think maybe add a bit more sugar to the juice?