Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #1231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
speaking of cost effective... and since I have nothing better to do today <yeah right> seeing as I am the only one in our department to day, I just had to see what it actually costs me to make my kombucha.

I am not totally sure of the prices I pay at Lucky's for my ingredients, but checked Safeway online for pricing (can't shop online w/Lucky's). I would expect that the prices are fairly similar (except that Safeway brand tea is on sale 2 boxes of 100 for $4! I hate shopping at Safeway, but for that price, maybe I can make an exception ) But even with regular price Lipton, KT is way cheap in comparison to commercial made.

Based on my recipe - 3 gallons water, 12 tea bags, 4.5 cups sugar (I was using 1cup/gal, but I am experimenting with 1.5/gal right now) So given those measurements - and bottle 18 bottles from w/those 3 gals - it costs between 7˘ (sale tea $2/box of 100) and 9˘ (lipton tea $4.79/box of 100) bottle!

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #1232
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Yep, mere pennies to make! Feels like such a rip off at $3.50 - $3.99 a bottle, when you can see how simple the process is to make and how cheap the ingredients are. I'm using organic black tea, and organic cane juice and it's still just pennies to make. Even with flavors (I'm into blackberry right now and they grow wild so they're free!) it's super cheap.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Yep, mere pennies to make! Feels like such a rip off at $3.50 - $3.99 a bottle, when you can see how simple the process is to make and how cheap the ingredients are. I'm using organic black tea, and organic cane juice and it's still just pennies to make. Even with flavors (I'm into blackberry right now and they grow wild so they're free!) it's super cheap.
Not very labor intensive so the cost of my time is very minimal as well.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #1234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
True, it would be one thing if you had to time things just right and use special equipment, etc. But this stuff is not very picky, it's as easy as making a cup of tea (with continuous) so the amount of time put into it is barely anything. The only thing that takes any time is allowing it to just do it's thing - but that doesn't require any work from us other than waiting!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #1235
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post

Has anyone used different juices (instead of sweetened tea) for the first brew? I was wondering if I made a batch of KT just using white grape juice (no sweetened tea) if it would be similar to white wine? Would there be enough sugar in just plain juice?

HeY, Somebody pointing at me!?. I didn't give up, in fact I just transferred the Abomination to it's own sun tea jar that I got at the thrift store for 50 cents for lacking a lid (which I don't need anyway)

Last batch I made for BF, he said it tasted like beer.

I took an established scoby from the hotel and added it to a full bottle of undiluted grape juice. The first time was cool the second time too strong, and the third time is taking a long time like almost two weeks. I added plain water the last batch to see if it would be less sweet and strong, but it's taking forever to use up all the sugar. And it forms it's own purple scoby. Kinda scary looking! Hmm, maybe the reason it's taking so long is that this third batch is working from a scoby made by the first and second batch. Maybe the scobys are not as viable breeding in grape juice.

I personally don't like it cause it's too sweet, but BF loves it. I like my KT strong and tart and not so sweet.

If you have an extra scoby and jar it's worth a try. I
am being a brat about it cause I still haven't gotten my continuous brew to where I want it and meanwhile I'm babysitting BF's Abomination. Also, while BF pointed out that making it with Grape Juice is still cheaper than buying KT or wine, You can't get much cheaper than a family size box of tea bags and a bag of sugar from the dollar store.

Full fruit juice came out thick and sweet and very strong. No way you could drink more than a few ounces a day. AND BF complained of the big Buzz he gets afterward, and since there is no caffeine in grape juice, we can't blame that. Ha!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #1236

Gallery: fawn
so J4, Metga has just proven I know absolutely not much about KT except the simple experiment going on in my own kitchen. Don't listen to me chickie.......
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #1237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
so J4, Metga has just proven I know absolutely not much about KT except the simple experiment going on in my own kitchen. Don't listen to me chickie.......
See you aren't such a "know it all" contrary to some threads and you are not above admitting you don't know it all. That's what makes you so easy to take - you are human like the rest of us. ♥love ya!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #1238
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
HeY, Somebody pointing at me!?. I didn't give up, in fact I just transferred the Abomination to it's own sun tea jar that I got at the thrift store for 50 cents for lacking a lid (which I don't need anyway)

Last batch I made for BF, he said it tasted like beer.

I took an established scoby from the hotel and added it to a full bottle of undiluted grape juice. The first time was cool the second time too strong, and the third time is taking a long time like almost two weeks. I added plain water the last batch to see if it would be less sweet and strong, but it's taking forever to use up all the sugar. And it forms it's own purple scoby. Kinda scary looking! Hmm, maybe the reason it's taking so long is that this third batch is working from a scoby made by the first and second batch. Maybe the scobys are not as viable breeding in grape juice.

I personally don't like it cause it's too sweet, but BF loves it. I like my KT strong and tart and not so sweet.

If you have an extra scoby and jar it's worth a try. I
am being a brat about it cause I still haven't gotten my continuous brew to where I want it and meanwhile I'm babysitting BF's Abomination. Also, while BF pointed out that making it with Grape Juice is still cheaper than buying KT or wine, You can't get much cheaper than a family size box of tea bags and a bag of sugar from the dollar store.

Full fruit juice came out thick and sweet and very strong. No way you could drink more than a few ounces a day. AND BF complained of the big Buzz he gets afterward, and since there is no caffeine in grape juice, we can't blame that. Ha!
Ohhhhhh, that's what the "abomination" is. I read about that and wondered. Yes, I have extra scobies! For some reason they are mulitplying like crazy! Silly things. I don't like sweet either. It will be fun to experiment. I was thinking of a big jug of white grape juice with a bit of water. hmmm-or maybe a can of limeade mixed with water (kinda like a Mike's hard lime). I love my summertime cool drinks, but trying to stay away from so much alcohol. KT seems to do the trick. I guess there is enough sugar in the juice?

Quote:
Hee-hee, I will always listen to you, Fawn!

So far I have 1 big sun tea jar and 1 large pickle jar with cranberry/puh-ehr (SP) tea brew, and 2 large pickle jars with Yerba Mate brew. They all look like they have turbans wrapped around their heads So if I start another couple of batches (gotta eat up some pickles first) my family will truly think I've gone off the deep end! Except for DD who love KT!

Happy brewing and thanks for the input!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #1239

ahhh thank you girls.....you're so sweet.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #1240
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
Can someone please teach me what I need to do to start Kombucha myself?

Please PM me with details. I have not kept up with this thread and it is massively long!!
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #1241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanLioness View Post
Can someone please teach me what I need to do to start Kombucha myself?

Please PM me with details. I have not kept up with this thread and it is massively long!!
Leanlioness - Here is what I started with. Patience, a gallon jar, coffee filter & rubber band. In the jar combine 1 bottle Kombucha (I used synergy) 1 gallon sweet tea (for 1 gallon, brew strong tea - 1 gallon water, 4-6 tea bags & 1-1 1/2 c sugar) Cover jar with cloth or coffee filter secured with rubber band and wait...wait...wait.

You could also get a scoby from one of our scoby-mistresses and your first brew might not take so long. My very first attempt took over 4 weeks to get something, but now that I am getting the knack of it and it is warmer weather, it takes about 2 weeks to start from scratch.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #1242
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
Leanlioness - Here is what I started with. Patience, a gallon jar, coffee filter & rubber band. In the jar combine 1 bottle Kombucha (I used synergy) 1 gallon sweet tea (for 1 gallon, brew strong tea - 1 gallon water, 4-6 tea bags & 1-1 1/2 c sugar) Cover jar with cloth or coffee filter secured with rubber band and wait...wait...wait.

You could also get a scoby from one of our scoby-mistresses and your first brew might not take so long. My very first attempt took over 4 weeks to get something, but now that I am getting the knack of it and it is warmer weather, it takes about 2 weeks to start from scratch.

Good luck

Ok, thanks. Now to find Kombucha in this rural place I live in.
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanLioness View Post
Ok, thanks. Now to find Kombucha in this rural place I live in.
You'd be surprised - check healthfood stores. If you have a whole foods or wild oats - you are in luck! But like I said, there are people here who will ship a scoby too. I am not confident enough in my shipping skills to do that. It's a bit quiet around here - I think a few people are on vacation, but I am sure that you will get an offer if you absolutely can't find a bottle of kombucha.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #1244

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
-or maybe a can of limeade mixed with water (kinda like a Mike's hard lime).

Hee-hee, I will always listen to you, Fawn!
Ooooooo, Lime! sounds Good!

Oh Fawn, you silly! Don't think we will stop listening to you, you are precious! I'm glad you are here to share the kombucha experience with us.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #1245
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Ooooooo, Lime! sounds Good!
Met-I started it about 5 days ago. We'll see............
Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #1246
Major LCF Poster!

No up-to-date Kombucha reports? I let my tea/cran. brew a bit longer than usual (14 days) and it's not as sweet (as I like it). I tasted my limeade experiment, still too sweet, but there are yummy possibilities ahead!! Will keep you updated!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #1247

I'm in withdrawl.....not brewing as quickly as I'm drinking.....
Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #1248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went through that Fawn, it will catch up to you.

One of my jars is brewing a lot quicker than my other two, the scobys in the two jars just need to get a bit stronger. When I finally bottle those two, I think I will not add sweet tea right away, I think I will let them just take it easy in some of the brew and grow strong. I did that the other day with the other my stronger scoby cause I didn't have tea made yet and it got really dense and opaque.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #1249

Thanks jo for consoling me.....
I gave my 27yo daughter 3 bottles last week and they're still in her fridge! I said WHAT? I'm out you better drink those or I'm repossessing them!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #1250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fawn, how many batches do you have brewing at a time. I have 3 - 1 gallon jars going right now (only 6 2nd ferment bottles) I don't know what I was thinking when I thought 3- 1 gallon jars was too much?! I slowed things down a bit and now I am running low - not out yet, but definitely conserving. It's taking longer to get things up to speed since restarting again. Not doing that again.

Her 3 bottles have lasted more than a week?! Blasphemous! Time to take them back into your "fold"
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #1251
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Quote:
Thanks jo for consoling me.....
I gave my 27yo daughter 3 bottles last week and they're still in her fridge! I said WHAT? I'm out you better drink those or I'm repossessing them!
thread jack... No way you are old enough to have a 27 year old.
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #1252
Blabbermouth!!!

I have started my 5 gallon brewer, but only doing about 2 gallons to begin with and I will work my way up. It will be an experiment for sure, I'm still leary about the replenishing processes.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
thread jack... No way you are old enough to have a 27 year old.
thank you
but I am!
Though I was too young at 18 when I had her, I'm sure enjoying my girl at this age! We're buddies for sure. She was so cute at a memorial the other day....as my brain was being picked by a gal, she had the props in her purse to back me....xylosweet, stevia.......clean stevia sweetened gum...I was blown away at her arsenal of low carb supplies! But more importantly, healthful low carb supplies.
ok threadjack over....just want to brag!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #1254
Major LCF Poster!

I just thought of something...the limeade I used (can of juice concentrate) has HFCS in it. I wonder if the good ol' scoby eats that up too??? I had planned on doing a brew w/ a jug of white grape juice, but I may have to wait and see what you all think!!!

Also, I know there are alot of health properties in using good teas for the brews, but will the health benefits of Kombucha be there w/ fermented juices as I am experimenting with??
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #1255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I asked about HFCS a while ago (way back in this thread) and was advised not to use it so I didn't even attempt. I just found an apple juice concentrate that didn't have any and have been using that and have been very happy with the results so I haven't ventured any further.

My guess is that if it's sugar (albeit supposedly a not so good for you sugar) the scoby is going to eat it up nonetheless. Looking forward to hearing your results.

I understand people's concerns around HFCS - Im not totally convinced and if my scoby doesn't know the difference, I might just try some different juice concentrates besides the apple juice.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #1256
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
thank you
but I am!
Though I was too young at 18 when I had her, I'm sure enjoying my girl at this age! We're buddies for sure. She was so cute at a memorial the other day....as my brain was being picked by a gal, she had the props in her purse to back me....xylosweet, stevia.......clean stevia sweetened gum...I was blown away at her arsenal of low carb supplies! But more importantly, healthful low carb supplies.
ok threadjack over....just want to brag!
My mom had me when she was almost 20, so I'm 32 and she is 52. We grew up as friends too, we are very close to this day!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #1257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
I asked about HFCS a while ago (way back in this thread) and was advised not to use it so I didn't even attempt. I just found an apple juice concentrate that didn't have any and have been using that and have been very happy with the results so I haven't ventured any further.

My guess is that if it's sugar (albeit supposedly a not so good for you sugar) the scoby is going to eat it up nonetheless. Looking forward to hearing your results.

I understand people's concerns around HFCS - Im not totally convinced and if my scoby doesn't know the difference, I might just try some different juice concentrates besides the apple juice.
Thanks Jo, isn't it nice of our scobies to risk their health on our account by eating all that sugar. There are days I wish I was a scoby
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #1258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks Jo, isn't it nice of our scobies to risk their health on our account by eating all that sugar. There are days I wish I was a scoby
I have been the total scoby these days :blush: - I have been really bad! I have to get back on track
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #1259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
has HFCS in it. I wonder if the good ol' scoby eats that up too??? I had planned on doing a brew w/ a jug of white grape juice, but I may have to wait and see what you all think!!!

Also, I know there are alot of health properties in using good teas for the brews, but will the health benefits of Kombucha be there w/ fermented juices as I am experimenting with??
HFCS* is high FRUCTOSE corn syrup - It's my understanding that scoby needs sucrose or glucose & that a scoby can't use fructose - that's it's end product - which seems to be true of the yeast (I don't know about the bacteria but would assume the same)

grape juice is the only fruit (i think) with high levels of glucose, it was my understanding that the scoby required compounds in TEA & HH suggests when using Rooibos or Yerba Mate or any non tea item to make sure that it is still brewed with 50% tea

Metqa is our resident expert on abominations - I would suggest brewing with tea and using juices in the second ferment.

My main concern, especially now, is that the bacteria in my scobys died, the yeast is alive and they look ok still but they quit reproducing which signals a problem. Even my dead bottled brews "look" ok, the yeasts are doing their thing but it's missing the vinegar of the acetic acid - I don't even have the lil flies anymore. You need a healthy dominant bacteria & yeast balance to control the brew, otherwise you risk infestation of unhealthy bacteria & yeast.

I am home, all the scobys died, I left the a/c on them but it was too late for all of them, nothing survived - I'm not even going to attempt getting a replacement right now, I don't think one would survive the heat in shipping.

* the more I read about fructose, the more I want to discourage you from ingesting it.
The glucose group was unaffected but the fructose group had disastrous results. The male rats did not reach adulthood. They had anemia, high cholesterol and heart hypertrophy-that means that their hearts enlarged until they exploded. They also had delayed testicular development. Dr. Field explains that fructose in combination with copper deficiency in the growing animal interferes with collagen production. (Copper deficiency, by the way, is widespread in America.) In a nutshell, the little bodies of the rats just fell apart. The females were not so affected, but they were unable to produce live young."[The Murky World of High Fructose Corn Syrup, The Murky World of High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 08-28-2009 at 04:03 AM..
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #1260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Since I don't have KT, I am attempting the ACV/honey again and iodine supplementation - the 2 have the same synergistic properties of KT - not nearly the same though sigh but the 2 has the 2 main acids of KT (acetic & gluconic) but not the glucuronic precursor but I would think the ACV properties would be applicable to KT - so including that info here.

Dr.Jarvis folk medicine recommendations include raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother), raw honey (required for nutrients, not as a sweetener) and lugol's solution of iodine
======================================…
from my notes:

a study said that "organic type" ACV acts much like metformin. They recommended drinking before every meal.

ACV = acetic acid 5% no gluconic acid BUT honey has gluconic acid - Kombucha tea = 1% acetic acid + gluconic acid (which can break down to caprylic acid)
--------------------------------------…
Malic acid is the main digestive acid found in ACV as well as in our own body cells. It has many health benefits, including boosting immunity, maintaining good oral health, reducing the risk of toxic heavy metals, promoting good skin tone. Its biggest contribution is the ability to stimulate the metabolism and increase energy production.
======================================…
According to the website (this is the only reference I have found and don't know what it's based on or if it's hypothetical)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0…
Acetic acid is found in vinegar....Through the ages, vinegar has been used to increase appetite, offset fatigue and boost mineral absorption. Vinegar increases the absorption of calcium and, in animal studies, vinegar has been shown to augment glycogen formation--therein lies "offsets fatigue." Vinegar may help prevent fatigue by improving the body's ability to load carbohydrates into muscles (rather than allowing the carbs to flow into fat-storing pathways, which contributes to a lack of energy and vitality).
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote