Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
I have always done a second ferment just cause I like to add a little something - apple juice is my preferred flavoring although it doesn't really add much flavor, but what if you didn't add flavoring - is a second ferment necessary? If yes, why?

Can't really imagine drinking right from my brew, but continuous people, I guess, do all the time, right?
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #1172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I second ferment even if I don't add flavors, but I do continuous brewing and I just ferment until it's not sweet. It helps with the fizz too.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I second ferment even if I don't add flavors, but I do continuous brewing and I just ferment until it's not sweet. It helps with the fizz too.
So you bottle while still sweet, huh? Sometimes I do and sometimes I wait - I am such an inexact scientist With the exception of the flat batch, I have liked pretty much all my variations, I think they are relatively consistent, but maybe not - guess it doesn't matter much since I am pretty much the only one drinking my "experiments" on a regular basis - everyone else in the family is a bit "askeered" of it all - luckily for me

Guess I might bottle tonight. I was thinking it was a bit sweet yesterday, but what the heck...

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie

Last edited by JoSkids; 08-07-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #1174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quote:
Yeah, that!!

J4, just remember that once you brew with yerba mate you might always have that taste in future batches. Threre have been decidedly mixed reviews on the taste, so I hope you like it!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #1175
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I was coming in, somewhat bummed. Thinking about scobito and how he's not looking very good - and lo and behold, he looks like a small version of this. Maybe I do have a chance - although the fizz is going away and tends to be a bit flat. Anxiously watching all of yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
Did this up this past Wed. to see how it would do. Just under a full 4 days, and look at the scoby! That is the black elderberry flavor, and WOW does it smell good! Bottled it and waiting for it to chill. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #1176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
If scobito looks like that he is indeed doing well!
I also 2nd ferment plain bottles just for the extra pizzaz!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #1177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Yum, that flavor combo sounds great!

J4Christ - second ferment is when you add your flavors. When you bottle up your KT, just add some fruit chunks or juice (I even use organic all fruit preserves) to the bottle and let it sit out for another few days to ferment with the caps on the bottles.
Thanks, you always have a way of explaining things so simply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
I am such an inexact scientist With the exception of the flat batch, I have liked pretty much all my variations, I think they are relatively consistent, but maybe not - guess it doesn't matter much since I am pretty much the only one drinking my "experiments" on a regular basis - everyone else in the family is a bit "askeered" of it all - luckily for me
I am pretty inexact, too, in whatever I cook. So far no matter what I've done (although I am pretty new at this Kombucha brewing) I've enjoyed too, and pretty much tastes the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Yeah, that!!

J4, just remember that once you brew with yerba mate you might always have that taste in future batches. Threre have been decidedly mixed reviews on the taste, so I hope you like it!
Thanks, I did read that a while back on the thread. I made a separate batch so I will have to remember not to give and scoby babies to any other brews! I took a sip of the tea before I put it in to brew and it was tasty (too sweet though, cuz I had just put the sugar in!!) so hopefully it will be okay.

The Tea Lady said Yerba Mate gives you the same kick as energy drinks or coffee without the crash, so I am going to use it as my 3:00 slump time drink.
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #1178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
J4, I would love to hear how you like your YM kombucha... how it makes you feel energy-wise - also if you like the taste. I've wanted to start a separate suntea jar, but haven't been inspired to yet. I'm very curious!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #1179
Major LCF Poster!

Yikes, DH decided to try my KT again and *gasp* he actually likes it and may start drinking it. It's not all mine anymore, the scoby's aren't a good enough deterrent (they freak him out). I may need to step up the production.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #1180
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Ang, mine tries mine every once in a while thinking he'll get used to it but he has the same scrunched up nose look every time.....I'm sorry you have to share but am glad you can share good health with him....
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #1181
Major LCF Poster!

He's really a good sport, and has whole heartedly embraced natural/organic/local WOE. He thinks it tastes so much better and he feels better too. I'm so glad he's into this WOE, and want him to be healthy - so I'm willing to share my KT. He really likes the wild blueberry - I'm just a bit nervous that we may end up with gray teeth! So far so good. I'm going to pick up some cranberry juice (100%) and more ginger today, that sounds so refreshing!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #1182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yikes, DH decided to try my KT again and *gasp* he actually likes it and may start drinking it. It's not all mine anymore.
I am so sorry to hear this!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1183
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, thanks Jo! The scoby's scared him away for a while, but alas - not any more.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
LOL, thanks Jo! The scoby's scared him away for a while, but alas - not any more.
My DH will drink KT occassionally, but he's no real threat to my stock . Today I was bottling and I was hoping that he would get a good gander at my "sturdy" scoby and maybe he would think twice about drinking it ever again, but he didn't but that's ok, like I said, he doesn't drink that much.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #1185
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, DH is still just taking a sip or two - not a serious KT drinker....yet. I just bought some Goji berries and put them in my second ferment along with some 100% cranberry juice. Next batch will be cranberry and ginger, I may throw in a bit of lemon too. I love all the different flavor combos! Anyone else use Goji berries? Hope they don't taste yucky!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #1186
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
J4, I would love to hear how you like your YM kombucha... how it makes you feel energy-wise - also if you like the taste. I've wanted to start a separate suntea jar, but haven't been inspired to yet. I'm very curious!
I can't wait to be able to report! I am anxiously awaiting my Yerba Mate Kombucha (what an impressive mouthful that name is!)

Quote:
Yikes, DH decided to try my KT again and *gasp* he actually likes it and may start drinking it. It's not all mine anymore, the scoby's aren't a good enough deterrent (they freak him out). I may need to step up the production.
I don't risk DH liking it. He is rather amused by the whole process. DD loves it. She used to buy the store bought and is rather pleased that Mom is able to make it!

I just got back from a get together for DS baseball team. Most of the adults were enjoying adult drinks. I brought a bottle of KT and felt no deprivation at all!

Last edited by j4Christ; 08-08-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #1187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post

I just got back from a get together for DS baseball team. Most of the adults were enjoying adult drinks. I brought a bottle of KT and felt no deprivation at all!
Much more satisfying than a glass of club soda or a glass of water and it doesn't stand out as much.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
Okay I think I'm ready to give this kombucha making a try. Anyone in the Worcester, MA area got a spare scoby?
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

or start from scratch with a gallon jar, a bottle of kombucha and some sweet tea. Takes a little longer, but works just as well, but there are people here who will ship one to you. I don't harvest any so I don't have extra to ship off.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #1190

Give me a week Mark and I'll include you buddy! I can't refuse.......
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #1191
Major LCF Poster!

Cool. Thanks Misty.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #1192

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Sashimi! You finally coming around! Yay! LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #1193
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I wanted to make some back in November but I live in New England in a 150+ year old house that is impossible to heat. so I'm thinking I should just make it during the warmer months and try to bottle enough to keep me through the colder months. How long does it last?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #1194

A couple of months in the fridge Mark. But, you can get a heating pad for your kombucha babies.......pm or fb me your address and I'll get it out after my next go in about 10 days.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #1195

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiMark View Post
Well, I wanted to make some back in November but I live in New England in a 150+ year old house that is impossible to heat. so I'm thinking I should just make it during the warmer months and try to bottle enough to keep me through the colder months. How long does it last?
The GT I started with was left out a couple of months at room temp before I found it and then a couple more months in my fridge as I drank the whole case. They were strong, but I think most of us homebrewers like it stronger than store production strength.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #1196
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Kam, I buy pure cranberry juice......not sweetened, not from concentrate. I use about 1 oz. per synergy type jar. The ginger I read here helps it fizz more too.....LOVE the taste!
Not having ordered more cranberry juice, I just bottled an elderberry/ginger and a pomegranate/ginger to see how they do together. I find the plain elderberry a bit too fruity in a slightly sweet way , so I'm hoping the ginger adds the zing I want. I also let the big brewer go longer so it is fair tart to start. It is drinkable plain, so the flavors should be on the mark. If not, Oh Well! I'll keep experimenting!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #1197
Major LCF Poster!

Oh dear, does anyone else have fruit flies hanging around their KT brewing jars? I have mine covered with DH's hankerchiefs (I have to buy him more!) rubberbanded on tight. I don't think they can get in. They are just sitting on top of the cloth (or flying around my face)
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #1198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Oh dear, does anyone else have fruit flies hanging around their KT brewing jars? I have mine covered with DH's hankerchiefs (I have to buy him more!) rubberbanded on tight. I don't think they can get in. They are just sitting on top of the cloth (or flying around my face)
I keep mine in a closed cupboard so there are few if any, but it does happen. Keep it covered. I am not sure there is much you can do.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #1199
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, they love KT! As long as the brewer is covered with a tight weave cloth and secured with a rubberband it should be fine. I read that you can put out a little jar of KT and a drop of dish soap and the fly in and can't get back out.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #1200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, they love KT! As long as the brewer is covered with a tight weave cloth and secured with a rubberband it should be fine. I read that you can put out a little jar of KT and a drop of dish soap and the fly in and can't get back out.

I will try that!