Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #1141
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Jo and Metqa...

Good going! Jo, you're so right about "expect it when you least expect it."

Metqa, guard those bottles! Seriously they are worth their weight in gold. I think I would definitely find a way to end the grape abomination, LOL. If you add some grape concentrate to your 2nd ferments, I bet your BF would NEVER know the difference. Except maybe to say how awesome this batch tasted! Focus on your continuous brew and get that going - you deserve some great KT!
Well, I diluted the grape juice with half it's amount in water. I told BF I would. It still tasted really sweet but maybe it will be more drinkable that way when it's finished.

I'm not a grape juice fan so maybe that's it. I like it but not often and usually diluted or in the form of wine. speaking of wine . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
My brews are going great! I poured out my first bottle of KT and shared it with DD and she said it tasted great, just like the ones she buys for $3-4!! Woo-hoo! I think she was impressed with her ol' Mom!

Jo-if you don't mind me asking...a few (or more) pages back you had mentioned that you were giving Kombucha a try to replace drinking wine in the evening. How's that going for you? I, too, am hoping to cut WAY back on wine and replace with Kombucha. I just like a special drink (other than water or coffee) Something with a kick and something not sweet. Now that I got a couple of batches brewing and ready to drink I hope this will work for me!
My favorite to drink with BF at dinner was blackberry merlot. It's very sweet though low alchohol. I like Kombucha better. When I made a cranberry kombucha BF liked that too, so if I can make a Blackerry2F, I think that will be our new dinner "wine".

it's much nicer and you don't have to worry about driving home and it's cheaper if you think about it. But I like Kombucha all the time. One of my favorite times to take a swig is first thing in the morning. that's straight from the tank!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #1142

Wow, my brew is off to a strong start. I just tasted my five day 2F from my restarted batch( switching to continuous) and it's got a nice punch.
See I guess that proves that a scoby resting at room temperature can wake up pretty darn fast! I've only had a 3 oz shot and I'm good. It had flavor and fizz, a bit strong but not vinegary. Yay! Now I'm interested to see how the second bottle from continuous will come out.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #1143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mammapo
Stats: 184.4/168/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/9/ 2009. paused 2/2010. restart 10/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Oh my this is TART! I might add a bit of stevia but I am going to like this.

lol...good thing I know that stuff floating around in there is good for me.
use the stuff that's floating around as a culture to make your own. I'd leave a half bottle of bought stuff for a quart of new kombucha the first time around.

Sugar gets eaten by the culture - and yes it MUST be sugar to work properly and get the Gl. acid to develop.
mammapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #1144

Gallery: fawn
Love the blue tooth visual pepperette! Not that bad my friend but it's gone now. The same thing happened while eating freeze dried blueberries.....DH looked at me and was hysterical one day! blue as the photo above!

Hey girls, I've been researching the statement that drinking kombucha after meals can lead to weight gain....anyone have anything further to share on that subject? I would think like ACV it would contribute to healthier digestion......but weight gain?
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #1145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I've had kombucha before and after meals, it's never contributed to weight loss or gain - just an overall good feeling.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #1146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
I drink mine before, with, after, and as snack drink if I have extra! If I keep the carbs down like I should, I haven't seen a difference in the weight. Besides, it keeps me away from the diet sodas that make my feet swell, and if there's aspartame in it- they hurt like the debil!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #1147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Nothing happening with my weight one way or another although I have not been super strict on my food choices (mostly on LC with a few slips) so I am stalled big time, but that has nothing to do with KT.

The best thing that has come out of KT, for me, is that I have replaced not so healthy alternatives - I very rarely drink alcohol anymore and although I do drink diet coke, it's not every day like it used to be. I so much prefer to have KT and because I make it myself, I can afford it!

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #1148

I haven't noticed a difference either but wanted to hear from all of you. The one thing said in many web pages is "if you need to lose or gain" so this tells me it just helps to normalize digestion, etc. which in turn contributes to healthy metabolism.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #1149
Major LCF Poster!

It definitely helps with my digestion, that is for sure. Haven't noticed any effect on my weight, maybe it helps with weight issues if someone is eating a lot of refined flour/trans fat/sugary products (we're all eating pretty wholesome I think)? I read that is stablizes blood sugar also.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #1150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you would lose weight drinking KT before a meal if you were so full from the KT that you didn't feel like eating dinner of if you ate less due to already feeling full from KT, but that's not me, I usually eat as much irregardless of whether or not I have had KT.

But the good news is that even though I drink it during and after, I am not gaining.

I am not sure about other benefits, but it does make me feel better about my beverage choice when I drink that rather than diet soda or alcohol.

I don't generally have digestive issues, but the other day, though, I did have an upset stomach, and I drank some KT and it seemed to settle it a bit so maybe there is something to the digestion aid claim.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #1151

Maybe it aids digestion so well that you get more efficient use out of all your calories!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #1152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Maybe it aids digestion so well that you get more efficient use out of all your calories!
I vote for that!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I second this claim! I've actually read this statement before......

I'm out of kombucha and my brew isn't ready to bottle until friday
Old 08-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #1154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post

Bummer, Fawn! I'm already on my second bottle, lol. (not to tease you... oh, heck, yeah, I'm teasing you!)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #1155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I have 2 more bottles left - that might last me through tomorrow and I don't think my brew will be ready till at least Friday either. Guess that eliminates either of us driving to each other's houses to borrow a cup of KT I was even thinking today that I might have to <gasp!!> actually buy a few bottles of synergry <double gasp!!>
Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1156

Quote:
Bummer, Fawn! I'm already on my second bottle, lol. (not to tease you... oh, heck, yeah, I'm teasing you!)
alright, no body likes a bragger
I'm sending my 20yo kombucha addict to live with you!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #1157
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
alright, no body likes a bragger
I'm sending my 20yo kombucha addict to live with you!
The funny thing about it is that I had a horrible night's sleep - I guess the caffeine? (Or maybe completing an intense exercise was to blame - Tracy Anderson kicked my butt!).

I lay in bed til 1 am before I gave it up and watched a video that *always* puts me to sleep. (Kind of a documentary and the voiceover is so soothing... Still... Argh!! Not enough sleep.)

I think the kombucha was racing around my system... In fact, I think that's what gave me the energy to do that dvd! Exercise at 7pm, was I nuts?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #1158

ahhh can you take a nap today??

see what you get for bragging?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #1159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think my heart races a bit after I drink kombucha, but I haven't had trouble getting to sleep (or sleeping) after drinking it even later in the evening.

Nothing like when I have wine - I don't sleep well at all if I had some to drink.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #1160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
ahhh can you take a nap today??

see what you get for bragging?
I know, I know!! I wish I could take a nap - too much to do... Maybe an early night will help make up for it.

Jo - I'm glad the kt doesn't cause you sleep problems. I have no trouble with wine, but usually only drink it around 5 -6 pm. I think kt has done this to me before, just can't remember. I'll have to monitor it...
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #1161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hate it when you type a somewhat long entry and then it doesn't "take" Let's try this again.

I am sure that this has probably been covered in this lengthy thread but due to a lack of kombucha I don't seem to have the energy to do a search

As you know I have started 2 new brews from scratch. One has a pretty healthy scoby going. The other not so much - late bloomer, dontcha know... I bottled from the "wimpy" (I would never dream to say that to my scoby's face) jar last week and the result is less than ideal. It has carbonation, but the taste is just flat - watered down tasting - doesn't have that bite that makes you go "mmmmmmm" after a big ol swig.

So I am thinking of doing something to remedy the situation. Here are my thoughts. Drain off about half of the brew and add:
1. more sweet tea
2. a bottle of kombucha
or
3. both

What do you think is the best alternative to give my wimpy scoby a leg up?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #1162

I've heard cutting it in half works Jo. A girlfriend of mine took one of my babies and it ended up being on the tough rubbery side so she cut it in half and viola! It's re-producing, growing and fizzing......
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #1163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's a thought, Fawn, although the scoby at this point is hardly visible - how did she cut it - some people get all stressed scobys being in contact with metal (knives or scissors) it sounds like they are a lot heartier than we give them credit for and scissors or a knife shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #1164
Senior LCF Member

I vote for "both" - both Cindy and I had this problem at one point. My solution was rather drastic, lol. Don't recommend you go that route. But more sweet tea and another bottle might jump start your scoby. At any rate... I don't see how it could hurt.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #1165
Major LCF Poster!

Do you have a hearty scoby from your other batch (no the "wimpy" one)? You could cut the hearty scoby in 1/2 and add it to your wimpy batch along with some of the tea from the stronger batch. I'd add more sweet tea to it too. I've cut my scoby (they are monsters) into 1/4's with kitchen sheers, the metal is only touching it for a split second. Metal touching the scoby or tea for a prolonged time can rust and begin to break down, but I felt ok with stainless steel sheers.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #1166

I agree with Ang.....

I'm in kombucha withdrawl now.....

bottling tomorrow so only 2 more days on a second ferment!

I have decided that cranberry ginger is my absolute favorite hands down.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #1167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree with Ang.....

I'm in kombucha withdrawl now.....

bottling tomorrow so only 2 more days on a second ferment!

I have decided that cranberry ginger is my absolute favorite hands down.
Unusual combination... can you tell me how much cranberry you use? Is it a sugar free version or is it sweetened?

We love ginger - but it would be nice to add a little something extra...
Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #1168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Still brewing away and loving it. I bottled about 6 (I am using cleaned water bottles and it seems to be okay) I don't get the big fizz I've read about. Just a mild fizz, which is fine with me, but is that okay?

I went to the Tea Lady store w/ DD and bought some Yerba Mate. She was very educational. Is $3.25 an oz. good? I bought 2 oz. to see if I would like it. Smelled good! Anyway, I started a new brew w/ the yerba Mate. Can't wait to try it!

I know I read about this, but could someone explain what 2nd ferment is?

Happy brewing everyone!!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #1169

Quote:
Unusual combination... can you tell me how much cranberry you use? Is it a sugar free version or is it sweetened?

We love ginger - but it would be nice to add a little something extra...
Kam, I buy pure cranberry juice......not sweetened, not from concentrate. I use about 1 oz. per synergy type jar. The ginger I read here helps it fizz more too.....LOVE the taste!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #1170
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, that flavor combo sounds great!

J4Christ - second ferment is when you add your flavors. When you bottle up your KT, just add some fruit chunks or juice (I even use organic all fruit preserves) to the bottle and let it sit out for another few days to ferment with the caps on the bottles.