Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #1081
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
j4Christ - Oh good, I'm glad it arrived ok. I was using a huge pyrex glass bowl and all my scobies turned out enormous! I actually cut one that size into 4 pieces and put those pieces into my suntea jar. I used really sharp scissors. You can also take 1 piece with some starter and tea and save it aside from the rest just in case your main batch gets contaminated.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #1082
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
You would be surprised at what it is doing even if it doesn't look like much. Mine was all filmy for a really long time. It was almost invisible, but when I would stick a straw in to taste, there was definitely a scoby; and I had great KT. Looks can be deceiving.
That is so cool! Yes, it seems a bit filmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
j4Christ - Oh good, I'm glad it arrived ok. I was using a huge pyrex glass bowl and all my scobies turned out enormous! I actually cut one that size into 4 pieces and put those pieces into my suntea jar. I used really sharp scissors. You can also take 1 piece with some starter and tea and save it aside from the rest just in case your main batch gets contaminated.

That's what I am using-a sun tea jar. I have a few of those huge pickle jars that I could use if I cut up that humungous scoby you sent me. So I can just pull it out of the sun tea jar and cut it up in to 1/4's and start more tea? I guess I don't have anymore starter though, because I put it all in my batch with the big scoby. Hmmmm. Just thinking out loud. But if I don't cut it up, it's okay folded up in my sun tea jar, right? I don't want to hurt the poor guy Again, thanks, it came through the mail great!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #1083
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Fawn, I'm glad your brew is back to proper action.

I love the buzz!

I guess I was confused about the bottle thing cause I bought mine elsewhere, and I though you were refering to the commercial bottles that you buy kombucha in the store. I know a brand of drink I liked just switched from glass to plastic, also.

Got a dumb math question. I wanna make a tea syrup concentrate, and I want someone to check my math.

If the final product is normally 3 quarts H2O with one cup of sugar and 6 tea bags, and I want to to reduce that to a concentrate that takes up only 1 quart of water space but with all the sugar and tea of the full 3 quarts. So if I take a cup of concentrate from that, then I'd add two more cups of water to make the right dilution? since its a ratio of 3:1?

I figure I could do better with continuous if I make a concentrate, rather than having to boil water and make tea, then cool it down, every time I need to refresh. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. Does that sound about right?

I planned to steep the tea in the hot water then add the cup of sugar to the still hot water to make the syrup, and stash it in the fridge in a quart mason jar, till needed.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 07-24-2009 at 12:28 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #1084
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
If the final product is normally 3 quarts H2O with one cup of sugar and 6 tea bags, and I want to to reduce that to a concentrate that takes up only 1 quart of water space but with all the sugar and tea of the full 3 quarts. So if I take a cup of concentrate from that, then I'd add two more cups of water to make the right dilution? since its a ratio of 3:1?
This is exactly what I would do, but that doesn't necessarily make it right
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
This is exactly what I would do, but that doesn't necessarily make it right
I feel much better now, I think . . .

eta: thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #1086
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I feel much better now, I think . . .

eta: thanks
Well, that's cause I just exude mathematical intelligence - you can even feel it through the boards
Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Question for KT peeps--

I made a 2 day 2nd ferment strawberry for DS (only 1/2 a bottle), and he liked it. He wanted to know if I could make banana. The question is: would you use a newly ripe, or banana-bread ripe one?

I made the concentrate as 3:1, but I made it a gallon as I wanted to have more brewing than the 2 gallons I'd done before.
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #1088
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I have more questions before I've finished reading through the thread!

I am getting overwhelmed with all the info on this thread and I don't think I need to. Could someone tell me in simple steps how to continuous brew? I just started a batch (in a 1 gal. sun tea jar) from a scoby sent to me by BikerAng and planned to brew about 10-14 days. I don't want to make this more complicated than is necessary:blush: so any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #1089
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
I made a 2 day 2nd ferment strawberry for DS (only 1/2 a bottle), and he liked it. He wanted to know if I could make banana. The question is: would you use a newly ripe, or banana-bread ripe one?

I made the concentrate as 3:1, but I made it a gallon as I wanted to have more brewing than the 2 gallons I'd done before.
I am just guessing here, but I would think the more ripe the better...
Less starch, more fructose for the KT... I know that's why grape concentrate often works so well- it has slightly more sugar than other concentrates, giving the KT more to feed on...
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #1090
Senior LCF Member

J4... look at BikerAng's post #1066 on pg. 36... she distilled it down pretty well I thought.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #1091
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, kamalam! It does sound rather simple. I'm sure I will get the hang of it all soon!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #1092
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Well, I just broke down....

I bought a 5 gallon continuous brewer and some Pur eh Tea with a starter.

I don't want to run out of KT again!

I just had to run to WF and grab a few bottles to get me through..
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #1093
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
I am just guessing here, but I would think the more ripe the better...
Less starch, more fructose for the KT... I know that's why grape concentrate often works so well- it has slightly more sugar than other concentrates, giving the KT more to feed on...

Thanks- I guess we leave it to get riper.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #1094
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
That is so cool! Yes, it seems a bit filmy.

That's what I am using-a sun tea jar. I have a few of those huge pickle jars that I could use if I cut up that humungous scoby you sent me. So I can just pull it out of the sun tea jar and cut it up in to 1/4's and start more tea? I guess I don't have anymore starter though, because I put it all in my batch with the big scoby. Hmmmm. Just thinking out loud. But if I don't cut it up, it's okay folded up in my sun tea jar, right? I don't want to hurt the poor guy Again, thanks, it came through the mail great!
You could pick out the big scoby, cut it into 4ths and put 3 of the 4 scoby's back into your sun tea jar (make sure everything is very clean, hands, scissors, etc). You could take the 4th scoby and put it into another container, add some of the tea from your sun tea jar to make another batch. I'd probably just stash that 4th one away for emergencies until you get a bunch of new babies from your sun tea jar brew. If you prefer to just leave it folded up it should be fine, it won't hurt anything.

Continuous is pretty easy, but you may want to let this batch ferment for at least 7 days to get a stronger starter - because the idea is that you are only adding in a small amount of sweet tea to a batch of strong KT.

After your sun tea brew has brewed for 7 days or so, I'd draw off 16 oz and bottle it. Make your replacement sweet tea to replenish what you took out, here's the ratio I use (assuming you are brewing 1 gallon of KT in your sun tea jar):

16 oz filtered water, bring to boil and add
2 TBS sugar
2.5 - 3 grams tea (or 1-2 tea bags)

Let it come to room temp and add it to your sun tea jar. Every 2 days draw off 16 oz and replenish with the above sweet tea. I just love the way the KT turns out using this method. The other thing I do is before I add the sweet tea to the suntea jar, I draw off about 4+ cups of the KT, then I add the fresh sweet tea, then add the 4+ cups of the KT back (to kind of mix things up without disturbing the mushroom too much). Someone provided that tip a while ago and it works great! Hope this all makes sense!

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-25-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #1095
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
Well, I just broke down....

I bought a 5 gallon continuous brewer and some Pur eh Tea with a starter.

I don't want to run out of KT again!

I just had to run to WF and grab a few bottles to get me through..
Yeah!!! Sounds like you'll be having some fun... I know what you mean about running out. It's the pits, lol. Hope you have lots of bottles on hand - if it's just you drinking the boocha, you'll need lots spares! There are two adults and a child drinking the KT in this household. So far we do fine with a 2.5 gallon brewer - we just bought a case of 12 bottles, and looks like we'll be needing another case!

---Let us know how you like the pu-erh tea. I bought the silver needle white tea to start my "super" scoby, but it's too expensive to maintain. Right now we're doing a black/ green tea combo. Cindy tried the pu-erh though.. she might pipe in and let you know about her experience... It's very earthy. I drink pu-erh as a regular tea - but I don't think I'd like it w/o my agave and vanilla soy creamer. Then again, I pretty much use agave and creamer in all my teas, lol.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #1096

Well, BF's abonimation has a new twist. We let the grape monster brew for almost 2 weeks and then bottled it. It's been about a week and he's been sipping on it but it's been growing stronger. Today we tasted it and the smell was strongly of wine, but the flavor was like BEER! Well, grape tinted beer. I think we'll let it brew shorter next time.

At least I've started the normal brewery back up again. I'm gonna attempt continuous proper this time. I've got my concentrate already made and I sealed it in a canning jar while still boiling hot so no germs should grow while I wait for the jar to get stronger. I'm starting again with 3 quarts of sweet tea and 2 cups of very cloudy very strong starter.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #1097
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have mentioned this before - my mom thought my kombucha tastes like vinegar. But every time I have a glass of wine (which is very infrequently nowadays) I think it does not compare to kombucha - kombucha is some much better and it is the wine that tastes like vinegar, but my mom drinks wine - go figure
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #1098

it's funny how different folks perceive their first taste of Kombucha. Gave some to Friends BF and he pulled a face. She took a sip and liked it immediately.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #1099
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
You could pick out the big scoby, cut it into 4ths and put 3 of the 4 scoby's back into your sun tea jar (make sure everything is very clean, hands, scissors, etc). You could take the 4th scoby and put it into another container, add some of the tea from your sun tea jar to make another batch. I'd probably just stash that 4th one away for emergencies until you get a bunch of new babies from your sun tea jar brew. If you prefer to just leave it folded up it should be fine, it won't hurt anything.

Continuous is pretty easy, but you may want to let this batch ferment for at least 7 days to get a stronger starter - because the idea is that you are only adding in a small amount of sweet tea to a batch of strong KT.

After your sun tea brew has brewed for 7 days or so, I'd draw off 16 oz and bottle it. Make your replacement sweet tea to replenish what you took out, here's the ratio I use (assuming you are brewing 1 gallon of KT in your sun tea jar):

16 oz filtered water, bring to boil and add
2 TBS sugar
2.5 - 3 grams tea (or 1-2 tea bags)

Let it come to room temp and add it to your sun tea jar. Every 2 days draw off 16 oz and replenish with the above sweet tea. I just love the way the KT turns out using this method. The other thing I do is before I add the sweet tea to the suntea jar, I draw off about 4+ cups of the KT, then I add the fresh sweet tea, then add the 4+ cups of the KT back (to kind of mix things up without disturbing the mushroom too much). Someone provided that tip a while ago and it works great! Hope this all makes sense!
Makes perfect sense! thanks for breaking down the ing. for the replacement tea. I wondered about that too. Okay, one more question (or two, for now). Do you only drink the 16 oz. that you draw out every two days? Can you OD on Kombucha?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #1100
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Yeah!!! Sounds like you'll be having some fun... I know what you mean about running out. It's the pits, lol. Hope you have lots of bottles on hand - if it's just you drinking the boocha, you'll need lots spares! There are two adults and a child drinking the KT in this household. So far we do fine with a 2.5 gallon brewer - we just bought a case of 12 bottles, and looks like we'll be needing another case!

---Let us know how you like the pu-erh tea. I bought the silver needle white tea to start my "super" scoby, but it's too expensive to maintain. Right now we're doing a black/ green tea combo. Cindy tried the pu-erh though.. she might pipe in and let you know about her experience... It's very earthy. I drink pu-erh as a regular tea - but I don't think I'd like it w/o my agave and vanilla soy creamer. Then again, I pretty much use agave and creamer in all my teas, lol.

I probably won't use the entire 5 gallons, unless I start to give it away!

I only bought the Pur eh because it was supposed to be better for weight loss... I figured I'd try it out...
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #1101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soundhound
HELP--- bad plastic aftertaste. Safe?

First time here... great forum! if I read the whole thing maybe I would find my answer, but I am hoping someone can help me.

Just made a batch with ginger & yerba mate, and it tastes fine, except it is a little too fizzy... and then in the back of my throat there is a distinct taste of platic. yuck. Added fruit juice, let it work some more, filtered & bottled and refrigerated.

Still tastes great... till a few seconds later then that awful plastic afteraste.

HELP! Is it my scoby? What should I try?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

soundhound
soundhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #1102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Makes perfect sense! thanks for breaking down the ing. for the replacement tea. I wondered about that too. Okay, one more question (or two, for now). Do you only drink the 16 oz. that you draw out every two days? Can you OD on Kombucha?

Every two days I bottle 16 oz, it's too sweet at that point for me so I 2nd ferment with flavors. Here's my schedule, I just did this last night.

* Remove 16 oz and bottle, add flavors (blueberries, ginger and lemon juice, strawberry preserves, etc) and let it sit for at least 3 days at room temp - I try to go longer so the sugar is consumed by the bacteria/yeast.
* Add 16 oz fresh, cooled sweet tea back to the sun tea jar.
* Wait 2 days, and repeat.

I have a back log of 2nd ferment bottles at room temp. I drink the oldest one first (I label them with the date I bottled). I just let my bottles continue to ferment at room temp until I drink them, they just get more fizzy and dry tasting. I drink about 8oz a day, so 1/2 a bottle. I'm not sure if you can OD on kombucha, but I watched a YouTube with Dave from Synergy and he said he drinks like a gallon a day or something crazy like that.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #1103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Geez, I hope not! I had 5, 16 oz. bottles in one day! Drank 1/2 before brekkie, took 2 to work, finished the 1/2 before supper, then polished off one with and after supper. Might have gone for another but was running out. Go figure!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
Geez, I hope not! I had 5, 16 oz. bottles in one day! Drank 1/2 before brekkie, took 2 to work, finished the 1/2 before supper, then polished off one with and after supper. Might have gone for another but was running out. Go figure!
LOL, you drink more than I do, but I could so easily go this route! Since my boochas are getting tastier and fizzier... it's getting harder to pull back!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #1105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
First time here... great forum! if I read the whole thing maybe I would find my answer, but I am hoping someone can help me.

Just made a batch with ginger & yerba mate, and it tastes fine, except it is a little too fizzy... and then in the back of my throat there is a distinct taste of platic. yuck. Added fruit juice, let it work some more, filtered & bottled and refrigerated.

Still tastes great... till a few seconds later then that awful plastic afteraste.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

soundhound
Soundhoud, are you bottling in plastic? Had to ask that one first!

Otherwise, it might be the YM you are not liking. That is a seriously STRONG flavor - I have avoided using yerba because I'm not crazy about the taste in the first place. I think Cindy used it once - her comment on it was that the flavor was, um... disgusting? LOL. But everyone has a different reaction... if you like YM in general, it could be something else.

Otherwise, do you use plastic at any stage of the process?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
till a few seconds later then that awful plastic afteraste.

I'd suggest making a batch with NO flavorings, are you brewing in plastic, bottling in plastic??

I didn't catch that, Yerba Mate batches need to be kept separate - you can't use YM and then switch back to regular tea, the new batch will still taste like YM, I don't know if they will ever loose the taste (mine died in the heat) Not sure if that's what you did or if that's the problem.

I'm not crazy about YM, I think it's disgusting but I can almost drink YM KT

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 07-26-2009 at 10:15 AM..
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #1107

Gallery: fawn
You know, I'm willing to bet it's the YM as well......

pepperette, I find myself reaching for the KT quite frequently as well.......I would drink 3 a day if I thought I wouldn't run out!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

I'd drink more too, but I'm nervous I'll run out!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #1109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
I probably won't use the entire 5 gallons, unless I start to give it away!

I only bought the Pur eh because it was supposed to be better for weight loss... I figured I'd try it out...
I bought TWO 5 gallon brewers lol. Your 5 gallon brew will only hold 4 gallons with the air space and the scoby will easily take up a gallon, so you're really only talking about 3 gallons of liquid. I did continuous brewing with mine and only added fresh tea when I was ready to bottle (gallon in, gallon out in 2 days)

IF you want weight loss, you need to check into Yerba Mate - got to warn you it's disgusting (and don't pay over $10 kilo - most are $5 kg. - I've got a link up thread but not at home to link you) Folks say you will acquire a taste for it, I don't know about that. I had been making KT with raw YM (and half tea) and I'd drink that after meals and I could drink that.

Happy herbalist bottled KT says, drink before meals to lose weight & after to gain weight (yikes) So I was drinking regular KT before I ate & the YM KT after.

Yerba Mate is suppose to be an appetite suppressant and is suppose to have all the vitamins & minerals needed, but it is disgusting straight brewed. Kamalam says disgusting is not much of a selling point lol
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #1110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
Yerba Mate is suppose to be an appetite suppressant and is suppose to have all the vitamins & minerals needed, but it is disgusting straight brewed. Kamalam says disgusting is not much of a selling point lol
Not so much! Hey, Cindy did you catch my comments about how great the new EZ Cap bottles are? So far, every bottle we've opened has had fizz! Don't want to jinx anything, but with the extra time and better bottles, we've got the best KT since we started this journey...

BTW... how is it going with your step-mom? Are you hanging in there?