Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #1051
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Cindy! Are you back from your trip? Nice to see your comments popping up again

Like Darkfire, we had tons of fizz the other day - had to open the bottle over the sink while the volcano erupted... However, we noticed that once *that* happened...our bottle became sort of flat. Noooooooo.

So the next bottles we're going to handle differently. For one, we're putting them in the fridge overnight. Then open slowly... My partner opened his first bottle after doing this and the fizz stayed in the KT instead of down the sink drain. LOL.

Live and learn!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1052
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Darkfire
Stats: 319/256/137
WOE: Organic, Lowerish Carb, Gluten Free
Start Date: June 1 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Cindy! Are you back from your trip? Nice to see your comments popping up again

Like Darkfire, we had tons of fizz the other day - had to open the bottle over the sink while the volcano erupted... However, we noticed that once *that* happened...our bottle became sort of flat. Noooooooo.

So the next bottles we're going to handle differently. For one, we're putting them in the fridge overnight. Then open slowly... My partner opened his first bottle after doing this and the fizz stayed in the KT instead of down the sink drain. LOL.

Live and learn!
It kept it's fizz and we drank some warm. He promptly made me put the rest in the fridge telling me I am going to blow up the kitchen one day....for real....hahahaha. I meant to bring one to work, forgot. Will try some when I get home tonight.
Darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #1053
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Can I incorporate Kombucha with Lower Carb Whole Foods (ala weston priceish) and still lose weight? I want the best of both worlds darn it.
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #1054
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
Can I incorporate Kombucha with Lower Carb Whole Foods (ala weston priceish) and still lose weight? I want the best of both worlds darn it.
I did WAP for a long time - I think it's a super healthy alternative to just eating "low carb." However I am seeing the best results from being vegetarian - mostly vegan. I've gone down a size and stayed there plus I just enjoy the meals more.

Since WAP/ Sally Fallon encourage fermented drinks (beet kvass, kefir, etc.) I see no problem with the addition of kombucha. Even The Body Ecology diet advocates for kombucha.

If you drink the KT before eating you are especially in the low carb arena since it reduces appetite...

Just my two pesos...
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #1055
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
Notes on bottle from Happy Herbalist says drink before meals to lose weight, after meals to gain weight. They say 95% of the sugar is converted, but I just don't know.

I'm still at sis's popping in but still not at full force. to all
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #1056
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
before...after...nothing... no weight loss or gain. But I am not giving it up. I know I have some tweaking to do elsewhere in my diet. One day I will get it figured out or I will have to be happy at this weight forever...
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #1057
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
before...after...nothing... no weight loss or gain. But I am not giving it up. I know I have some tweaking to do elsewhere in my diet. One day I will get it figured out or I will have to be happy at this weight forever...
It's the diet soda

J\k miss jo

Has anyone noticed a different result from organic cane? This is what I've been using and one of my scoby's didn't re-produce
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #1058
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
It's the diet soda

Jk miss jo

Has anyone noticed a different result from organic cane? This is what I've been using and one of my scoby's didn't re-produce
You haven't been round much my friend - I am drinking more water! Get up off the floor - fainting is not allowed! Not drinking water exclusively yet, but diet soda is far from an everyday thing any more (as I sit here with a rare on in front of me)

I don't use cane sugar - well except for what is advertised as pure cane sugar - from C&H, but it is a bit processed as we all know...

Last edited by JoSkids; 07-22-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #1059

congrats! Now that you've been turned on to kombucha huh? It's a great alternative isn't it?

Yeah, I've been using the raw organic evaporated cane juice and I'm not sure I'm getting great results......When I say great results, I mean that my scoby's aren't always reproducing as proliphic as I would like.......you know big mean double layers of bacteria.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #1060
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I started with just regular bleached sugar when first started my single brews. I'm now using evaporated cane juice (after about 2 months of brewing) and the kombucha is turning out fantastic (very fizzy, wonderful flavor, scoby's growing, etc). I did convert to continuous brewing though, it tastes so much better to me that way. A baby scoby formed in my continuous brewer, and another baby has formed on top of that one (it's not as thick and solid like the batch brew, more layered but growing pretty quickly). It's also trying to climb out of my sun tea jar, because there is so much air and bubbles underneath.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #1061
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Darkfire
Stats: 319/256/137
WOE: Organic, Lowerish Carb, Gluten Free
Start Date: June 1 09
My last batch that blew up all over Mr. Fire was made with Sucanat, I believe it is the same thing. (SU)gar (CA)ne (NAT)ural. Just evaporated cane juice? If it is then mine are fine and my new batch, well I guess I need to split my SCOBY, Alice is growing like mad.
Darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #1062

ok, I checked my scoby's this a.m. and they're doing better than I thought. Ang, I'm sorry, I haven't kept up with the entire thread, what do you mean continous brewer? I'm a newbie at this.......
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #1063
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fawn, I felt that my filmier scoby's produced better kombucha than the more established ones. So last week, I started my jars over from scratch. Considering where we live (especially you) with the weather being fairly temperate, the scoby's don't seem to grow as fast as other peoples in warmer climates, but they seem to work just as hard and produce pretty darn good kombucha
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #1064

jo are you growing your own scoby's too? Is that what you're saying when you say starting from scratch? Yes, you're right about our temps.....the cool evenings especially.... I really should go back through this thread.............
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #1065
Senior LCF Member

I've discovered the seal of my bottles is key in how fizzy they get!! We've been using Dave's plastic bottles (the one that came with our original Kombucha kit) and now realize how truly awful they are. I'm not saying plastic in general is bad... just that his suck. LOL. The glass GT bottles do much better (it must be better caps). When we open up the "blue" bottles, though... I can't wait to see what happens!

Last edited by Kamalam; 07-23-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #1066

I've been using mason jars with great success. I also use the old synergy bottles with the new plastic caps and had a blow out from one of those so I know they're working!

Thank you Ang! I'll check it out......Are you drinking what you draw daily?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #1067
Major LCF Poster!

I drink about 8 oz or so a day, usually before breakfast. Sometimes I'll drink more if I crave it, but usually stick to about 8 oz a day (and drink the older ferments first otherwise they are a bit too sweet for my taste). I do have a pretty large backlog of tea now, so maybe I should step up my consumption.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #1068
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I've been using mason jars with great success. I also use the old synergy bottles with the new plastic caps and had a blow out from one of those so I know they're working!

Thank you Ang! I'll check it out......Are you drinking what you draw daily?
I like the new plastic caps too, except when a brew is really fizzy, like ginger, then it's hard to get off! I had run one under the hot tap to break the seal!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #1069

ok zengirl you just answered my question! my ginger kombuchas that I buy sometimes always blow up but the other flavors don't! Thank you for that enlightment........tell me, how do you add ginger? Just grated and upon second fermentation?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #1070
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Flavorings should go in at second ferments.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #1071
Major LCF Poster!

I just chop ginger into 1/4" bits or so and toss in about a teaspoon per 16 oz bottle. Lemon juice is a nice addition to the ginger too, that's one of my favorite flavors.

I had to use a pipe wrench to loosen one with the plastic cap.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #1072
Senior LCF Member

Hey Fawn and Zengirl, just jumping in - Most of us don't grate the ginger (as far as I know). What I do is peel the amount I want (1/2 inch) and pop into the bottle.

Today I tried one of the non-flavored bottles (which we did just as an experiment - the question being: could we still get fizz w/o concentrates or extra sugar or ... anything!).

The answer is a big yes! I now think all my pre-fizz angst came from using those plastic bottles. It's a shame b/c it literally took what - over 6 months to figure that one out! I feel like writing good old Dave and telling him, but I don't think he'd respond (since he never responded after my last email). Too bad because there are a lot of people out there with his bottles!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #1073

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
I'm lost, I guess I haven't been buying Dave's in while cause all my bottles are glass.

Hey Fawn! I was told to use the simplest process sugar and not to use raw or other unprocessed. It's kinda like we are growing petri dishes and you want the food for the culture to be the easiest so it will minimize effort and maximize growth. I guess there are natural components in raw that keep it from fermenting as readily as the stripped down white sugar?

I'm so bad, I haven't been brewing at all lately. What with worrying about mold and everything, I've been afraid to remove the covers on the jars till I was sure everything is okay. I needn't worry though, my brew is so acidic, it might kill mold and me as well. I nearly fell over when I sampled a bit today.

I'm learning alot from listening to all you folks experimenting. How many of you are solo drinkers? I mean the only one drinking the Kombucha? My boyfriend still has me making his abomination out of grape juice, so I'm still the only one who drinks the Kombucha, so my production was overwhelming my needs. I'd like to try some more flavored 2nds, so keep writing and I may get around to it sooner than later!

Ciao!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #1074

Thank you jo! I'll add it to the second ferment next time
Hi Metga! How is my little purple friend doing? I'm actually now doing well in the past two days with my cane sugar.......I think when I transferred my kombucha to a cooler location, that was what halted growth. So now, back in the warm kitchen and growing well. I have a 20yo daughter at home and she is a kombucha junkee.....DH thinks it smells like the compost so he won't touch it.......last night he swore I was drinking!!

Anyone else catch a slight buzz or am I just a total lightweight??

Oh and I've figured out that cranberry is my favorite. I experimented with blueberry and pomegranate and they were too sweet and tasted too much like alcohol.....I figured out that the second fermentation with the sweeter flavors could really get me drunk! AND they form such quick second scoby's!!!! DD had one on a drive we were on today and she gagged.......We were both laughing.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #1075
Senior LCF Member

Metqa, I don't think anybody *here* has Dave's bottles - I meant all those who bought their starter kits from him. I just have to smack myself for not suspecting this earlier - the tighter the cap, the better the fizz. Now that we have the EZ Caps and long neck bottles I bet things will normalize a lot more. Even "plain" kombucha tastes like a dream with fizz - flavorings are a mere side bennie! LOL.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #1076
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I just chop ginger into 1/4" bits or so and toss in about a teaspoon per 16 oz bottle. Lemon juice is a nice addition to the ginger too, that's one of my favorite flavors.

I had to use a pipe wrench to loosen one with the plastic cap.
A pipe wrench - now that is something I have not tried. Usually I can get the stuck bottles open by using a rubber gloves, but at one point my hands were really hurting so now I just cap them a little looser and make sure that I don't get my second ferment flavoring on the lip of the bottle (the sugar glues them shut )
Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #1077
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa, I'm a solo KT drinker! DH just can't get past the scoby's. He'll take a sip every now and again, but gets a bit freaked out by it.

I opened up a ginger/lemon tea today, it's been second fermenting since 7/11 and I opened it not really thinking about it and over 1/2 of it flew out onto the counter (serious fizz). Total bummer, because this bottle is super yummy! It seems like the longer 2nd ferments aren't getting sour, just drier and less sweet. Super good!

Jo - I tried everything, even had DH try to pry it loose (hot water, etc). Finally I just went out to the garage and voila, pipe wrench did the trick!

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-23-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #1078
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thank you jo! I'll add it to the second ferment next time
Hi Metga! How is my little purple friend doing? I'm actually now doing well in the past two days with my cane sugar.......I think when I transferred my kombucha to a cooler location, that was what halted growth. So now, back in the warm kitchen and growing well. I have a 20yo daughter at home and she is a kombucha junkee.....DH thinks it smells like the compost so he won't touch it.......last night he swore I was drinking!!

Anyone else catch a slight buzz or am I just a total lightweight??

Oh and I've figured out that cranberry is my favorite. I experimented with blueberry and pomegranate and they were too sweet and tasted too much like alcohol.....I figured out that the second fermentation with the sweeter flavors could really get me drunk! AND they form such quick second scoby's!!!! DD had one on a drive we were on today and she gagged.......We were both laughing.
I catch a buzz on 50% of them, especially if I drink a whole bottle on an empty tummy! Sort of like an energy rush and toe tingles!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #1079
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Angie, my scoby arrived (DH said it got here Tues.) I got home from my sister's yesterday to a big blobby scoby!! Thanks for the information. I think I did everything right. I was a bit surprised by the size of it. I just plopped the whole thing in. Was that right? I didn't unfold or anything, just plopped it all in. Can they be cut up to make separate ones or do you have to wait for them to make babies?

The KT I started from store bought looks okay. Lots of bubbles on top but don't see signs of a scoby, just a couple of whitish strands.
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #1080
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post

The KT I started from store bought looks okay. Lots of bubbles on top but don't see signs of a scoby, just a couple of whitish strands.
You would be surprised at what it is doing even if it doesn't look like much. Mine was all filmy for a really long time. It was almost invisible, but when I would stick a straw in to taste, there was definitely a scoby; and I had great KT. Looks can be deceiving.