Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #1021
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Darkfire
Stats: 319/256/137
WOE: Organic, Lowerish Carb, Gluten Free
Start Date: June 1 09
Hey Metqa get outta mah kitchen hehe. My Dh drank a case of Grolsch for me to have those green bottles, poooooooor baby yah right. I make gingerale and the idea was to made mead eventually but we aren't there yet. Next year. Well starting this December after the summer harvest of honey. The blue ones came from mead, yum yum. They last forever the trick to these babies is a GOOD bottle brush. We paid $20 bucks for ours. Also rinsing as SOON as you are finished with it AND never closing the lid once it's empty. One more tip, tilt them to dry. I'll post a pic of my realllly messy canning, herbalist, mad chemist, (as my BIL dubbed me last night when we came over and I was making soap...he also called me Tyler all night from Fight Club haha) shelf too, not sure if you can see how the bottles are tilted. Easy to roll em to the sediment moves and such....AND they dry better.

My over priced Shelf.....hehe cost us about $60 but it's custom fit to my specs and space and stained my color etc. He is awesome with the building.

My Bottles
Darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #1022
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
it's pretty hard to mess it up I've found.

So true!
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #1023
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
Those are some beautiful bottles! Why do ez cap bottles make you less afraid of explosion than a regular screw cap? They are both pretty air tight, right? Does the ez cap pop before the bottle explodes?
I had heard that the gasket, while it seals tightly can allow the bottle to burp if the pressure builds too high. That might just be hype and sales man talk, but I heard it somewhere before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
Hey Metqa get outta mah kitchen hehe. My Dh drank a case of Grolsch for me to have those green bottles, poooooooor baby yah right. I make gingerale and the idea was to made mead eventually but we aren't there yet. Next year. Well starting this December after the summer harvest of honey. The blue ones came from mead, yum yum. They last forever the trick to these babies is a GOOD bottle brush. We paid $20 bucks for ours. Also rinsing as SOON as you are finished with it AND never closing the lid once it's empty. One more tip, tilt them to dry. I'll post a pic of my realllly messy canning, herbalist, mad chemist, (as my BIL dubbed me last night when we came over and I was making soap...he also called me Tyler all night from Fight Club haha) shelf too, not sure if you can see how the bottles are tilted. Easy to roll em to the sediment moves and such....AND they dry better.

My over priced Shelf.....hehe cost us about $60 but it's custom fit to my specs and space and stained my color etc. He is awesome with the building.

My Bottles
Ha! Tyler's NOT here! Tyler went AWAY! Tyler GONE!

Wow!!! Thanks for all the wonderful tips. Poor Hubby, having to drink all that Grosch! I love your shelf that is awesome. I need to get that awesome bottle brush but didn't want to spend for it till I was sure it was good. Plus the one I've got doesn't even fit in the bottle. I'll have to take my bottles with me for a test fit! I didn't know about not capping them once they were clean and dry. I do cause something crawled into one of my empty bottles once and died. It took a week to soak the bugger out the bottom cause I didn't have that awesome bottle brush!

I love your work stash bench and storage. so totally awesome!!!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #1024
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
When we went to buy our new, shiny bottles, we also got a brush and a sanitzer (it's a no rinse kind, but I rinse anyway). Our brush is made to fit and scrub the bottles in my picture perfectly... and only cost $2.95!

As far as I can tell, it does a bang up job - it's not skimpy on bristles, pliable, and scrubs well. Maybe you can post a picture of that $20 brush just for comparison? I'd like to know the difference!
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #1025
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
When we went to buy our new, shiny bottles, we also got a brush and a sanitzer (it's a no rinse kind, but I rinse anyway). Our brush is made to fit and scrub the bottles in my picture perfectly... and only cost $2.95!

As far as I can tell, it does a bang up job - it's not skimpy on bristles, pliable, and scrubs well. Maybe you can post a picture of that $20 brush just for comparison? I'd like to know the difference!
Later, I am at work right now hehe.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #1026
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Later, I am at work right now hehe.
Work?! By the looks of this thread, it looks like our work IS Kombucha. Wouldn't that be nice, but yeah, here I sit at work . But then I guess if we were home with our KT, it would be like that watched pot deal and it would never "boil"/brew... Fortunately, scobys are very self sufficient from a very young age
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #1027
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Work?! By the looks of this thread, it looks like our work IS Kombucha. Wouldn't that be nice, but yeah, here I sit at work . But then I guess if we were home with our KT, it would be like that watched pot deal and it would never "boil"/brew... Fortunately, scobys are very self sufficient from a very young age
haha methinks the fizzy bubbles have gotten to your brain hahah.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #1028
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
haha methinks the fizzy bubbles have gotten to your brain hahah.
or lack of bubbles, for me these days... that's why I'm starting over from scratch...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #1029
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
or lack of bubbles, for me these days... that's why I'm starting over from scratch...
Jo, I noticed you said you were going to add some strawberry preserve to your KT... my question was: is this to the primary batch or did you mean your 2nd ferment bottles?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #1030
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Sigh - I feel like such an incompetent parent, "baby scobito" still looks like a cross between phlegm and a paper clip. Three weeks to go, hopefully. Smell is getting there, when do you all think I can start tasting to gauge progress?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #1031
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Jo, I noticed you said you were going to add some strawberry preserve to your KT... my question was: is this to the primary batch or did you mean your 2nd ferment bottles?
2nd ferment - nothing goes in my primary brew. I just happen to be moving my brew to a sun tea jar for the 2nd ferment cause I don't have enough bottles to bottle up 3 gallons of KT. That's probably where the confusion lies.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #1032
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Sigh - I feel like such an incompetent parent, "baby scobito" still looks like a cross between phlegm and a paper clip. Three weeks to go, hopefully. Smell is getting there, when do you all think I can start tasting to gauge progress?
You can taste any time you want. Poke a straw down in there and put your finger over the top of the straw and then drop the liquid into a little dish to slurp from. I can get a pretty good taste when I have drawn 2 "straw-fuls"

When I started mine, it seemed like forever before my scobys developed into anything of substance, but I was still bottling - they were working hard! And now that my scobys look like pictures I have been seeing of "real" scoby, they are way to powerful and I have had to start from scratch with some smaller scobys that are showing up in my bottles.

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #1033
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Thanks, Jo - you've given me hope.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #1034
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeth
Stats: 320/185/140
WOE: Carb Cycling
Start Date: Jan. 19, 2008
So excited - a new scoby formed unexpectedly in a 2nd-ferment jar!
The other day I'd put 2 cubes of pineapple puree (pureed pineapple I'd frozen in ice cube trays) into a quart jar then filled it with KT and let it set out on the counter. As I poured it into separate bottles last night - surprise...a pretty little scoby had formed on top. I cleaned it up with white vinegar to remove most of the pineapple remnants and started my first little scoby hotel with plans of saving a few and hopefully making scoby cream soon.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #1035
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
I have sort of an urgent question..

I have a bottle of KT that I put lemon juice in, made great fizz, but it sort of smells like a faint odor of sulfur, but it tastes good?

is it safe?
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #1036
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post

I have a bottle of KT that I put lemon juice in, made great fizz, but it sort of smells like a faint odor of sulfur, but it tastes good?

is it safe?
I have no idea, I wish I could help. Hopefully someone else will know. I asusme if it tastes good it's ok.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #1037
Senior LCF Member

That has happened to us as well... from what I was able to research (as well as ask on this thread) it's fine. I forget the reason for it now (if you go back several pages you might be able to find the discussion we had) but we drank our bottle and nothing bad happened.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #1038
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That has happened to us as well... from what I was able to research (as well as ask on this thread) it's fine. I forget the reason for it now (if you go back several pages you might be able to find the discussion we had) but we drank our bottle and nothing bad happened.
good cause it's tasty! I think it might be a reaction with the acids? The bottle has baby floaties, so i know its active and healthy. I will drink it with lunch!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #1039
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
good cause it's tasty! I think it might be a reaction with the acids? The bottle has baby floaties, so i know its active and healthy. I will drink it with lunch!
Ours was tasty too - I remember Googling the sulphur/ rotten egg issue and the info seemed to suggest it was caused by an overgrowth of ??? Argh, can't remember. Just to be on the safe side, as you drink it, lightly note if you feel anything weird (LOL). If so - stop! But seriously, I think you'll be fine (disclaimer: I am not a kombucha medical expert and am not offering medical advice... )
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #1040
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ours was tasty too - I remember Googling the sulphur/ rotten egg issue and the info seemed to suggest it was caused by an overgrowth of ??? Argh, can't remember. Just to be on the safe side, as you drink it, lightly note if you feel anything weird (LOL). If so - stop! But seriously, I think you'll be fine (disclaimer: I am not a kombucha medical expert and am not offering medical advice... )
I ended up tossing it after a few sips, the smell was overwhelming my senses and all i could think of was rotten eggs...lol
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #1041
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I ended up tossing it after a few sips, the smell was overwhelming my senses and all i could think of was rotten eggs...lol
I don't blame you. I powered through our bottle - either I got used to it or blocked it out, lol. Aside from the smell, the kombucha itself was really good. It seems every bottle is different - even when I use the same brew for each bottle.

For instance - we opened one bottle (of secondary ferment) in which we put a little sugar (1 tsp) and lemon. After waiting a week, we opened it and tons of fizz poured out - that's never happened to us before, so it told us that waiting is a real key.

On the other hand, another bottle that had the same kt and a little grape concentrate (say, 1 tbl spoon) produced NO fizz at all. Ok, so the obvious factor is the sugar. But still - that grape did have some sugar and I would have thought a whole tablespoon would have equaled the sugar in the lemon bottle? Obviously something happened there, but what I don't know!

I'm really looking forward to opening up our new airtight, ez cap bottles. I would love more consistency with our kombucha!!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #1042
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to opening up our new airtight, ez cap bottles. I would love more consistency with our kombucha!!
But the inconsistency of the whole brewing experience is what's fun!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #1043
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
But the inconsistency of the whole brewing experience is what's fun!
Totally agreed!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #1044
Senior LCF Member

Inconsistency? Argh!!! That doesn't quite jive with the Virgo mindset, but I'll try and work it into my schedule. LOL.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #1045
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Hey- I'm OCD-- think what this does to ME!
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #1046
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
Hey- I'm OCD-- think what this does to ME!
Yipes! You must LOVE this stuff, lol. Maybe it's a form of therapy??

I've wondered if I have a touch of that myself... ocd-light?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #1047
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And I'm Gemini so whatever...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #1048
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Note to self: PUT The bottles in the FRIDGE after 2nd ferment less you spray your hubby with bubbly KT goodness....HAHAHHA....I cracked one to taste it....OMG Showered the whole kitchen. It's good.....
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #1049
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:

is it safe?
From page 25 -
I had heard that a slight "rotten egg" smell wasn't necessarily "bad," but now I can't remember what causes it... or if that advice was in regards to the primary brew, not the bottled brew.

I'm betting it's the yeasts though. I had to drain off mine, it didn't really have ANY taste and was getting choked by brown yeasties, but my search says yeast = "rotten egg smell" (yuckers) I'm betting if I hadn't drained mine off before this last batch, I'd have same complaint, hoping what i did was enough to fix it.

You did say you were working with a piece of scoby this may be the problem - still wild yeasties lol -

From Len's site "Sometimes you may encounter a skunky smell a bit like rotten orange. This often coincides with brewing at higher temperatures. Besides temperature, you might notice this effect is greater the longer it takes for the vessel to seal itself. Until the surface seals off completely (with a new SCOBY) the door is left open for a greater degree of respiration.

During a brew cycle there are two types of activities going on; one is fermentation (anaerobic) and the other respiration (aerobic). When the yeast are very active there is a higher level of respiration going on. Respiration is a complex process that produces a lot of intermediate compounds, one of these being citric acid.

Though not desirable tasting this is nothing to be alarmed about. Once the respiration abates, these compounds tend to reconfigure and dissipate. Storing without air, where respiration is impossible, often eliminates this taste after a few weeks. "
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #1050
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
From page 25 -
I had heard that a slight "rotten egg" smell wasn't necessarily "bad," but now I can't remember what causes it... or if that advice was in regards to the primary brew, not the bottled brew.

I'm betting it's the yeasts though. I had to drain off mine, it didn't really have ANY taste and was getting choked by brown yeasties, but my search says yeast = "rotten egg smell" (yuckers) I'm betting if I hadn't drained mine off before this last batch, I'd have same complaint, hoping what i did was enough to fix it.

You did say you were working with a piece of scoby this may be the problem - still wild yeasties lol -

From Len's site "Sometimes you may encounter a skunky smell a bit like rotten orange. This often coincides with brewing at higher temperatures. Besides temperature, you might notice this effect is greater the longer it takes for the vessel to seal itself. Until the surface seals off completely (with a new SCOBY) the door is left open for a greater degree of respiration.

During a brew cycle there are two types of activities going on; one is fermentation (anaerobic) and the other respiration (aerobic). When the yeast are very active there is a higher level of respiration going on. Respiration is a complex process that produces a lot of intermediate compounds, one of these being citric acid.

Though not desirable tasting this is nothing to be alarmed about. Once the respiration abates, these compounds tend to reconfigure and dissipate. Storing without air, where respiration is impossible, often eliminates this taste after a few weeks. "
Nope, it was just one bottle from the batch that i threw some lemon juice in. The rest are tasty as always.

I'm working with a full size scoby, now two and I'm doing two brews so I can slowly work my way into continuous.