Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #841
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenngrl View Post
I just have to wait, it's killing me already and it's only been 1 day!
Need updates plz, what's going on??
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
click on over to my blog to see the latest scoby pics! They're up and waiting to be lovingly admired.
I covet your scobys sigh (gorgeous boy too lol) but I coveted your scooby too lol

My update trying not to get discouraged, last batch was another bust. Took scobys from hotel and moved to brew pot and added fresh tea to every scoby in the house, trying to get a response from at least one. Only 24 hours now, so trying to give them all "space"
Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
OK - I'm jumping in. I have my sun tea jar, the tea, a bottle of kombucha. I'm going to use organic grape juice as the sugar. I tried to go through the first few pages, but noted that Hummingbird's DH (I think) said use just a few ounces.

Here's my idea:

3 qt. water
1/2 bottle Synergy grape
2 c. Knudsen's grape juice
2 bags of black
2 bags of white tea

Sun tea jar has spigot, will do continuous brew - as I've followed along, this seems to make the most sense (for me). No scoby to start with, so doing it from the ground up.

Comments, suggestions? I'll wait to see if anyone responds and will use the time to go through the past 17 pages of posts.
Welcome to the science lab lol!!!

I highly recommend doing basic before doing stuff we can't help with. Really not good idea to use flavored KT in starter or not use sugar or use grape juice instead, but I'd do it as a science project but you really need a basic recipe first. The KT needs sugar to create cellulose. Grape juice has antioxidants & I know Metqa has her grape-bootcha and doing fine, but you really need to know the basics before going off on tangents. We have too many OMG what's happening to deal with something we have no clue about. Not trying to discourage you, but we won't be able to do anything other than shrug. Can you get sugar and plain Kombutcha as a starter? I would also suggest cutting your water way back, you just need to create a scoby and starter - about 2 bottles of water to half a bottle of starter or 4 bottles of water to 1 bottle of starter.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 07-06-2009 at 02:08 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #844
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
cindy - thanks for the suggestions. I got carried away with "oh wouldn't it be fun", but best to crawl before walking and running. I'll start over - I do have good tea, will pick up some sugar and get another bottle of plain kombucha. Come to think of it, it reminds me of raising a baby (I have a 14 month old). Oh how hesitant I was about everything at the beginning and now it's second nature. I am sure this will be the same.

Note to self - KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #845
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
Need updates plz, what's going on??
As of last night, 7 days, my mother has produced a HUGE baby scoby, I will be doing a staggered brew with two gallon sun tea jars. I've had it in AC, around 76-73 degrees and it tastes perfect, just a little sweet, so I will bottle tonight. And from what I am reading, leave the bottles to 2nd ferment for 3 days then they hit the fridge!

I was all stressed out, but the brewing process was easy, I worried that I didn't do it right, right temp etc, but so far so good... my home must be scoby friendly!

My DH hates Kombucha, the smell and taste, anything slightly vinegary, so it's ALL MINE!

I'm thinking of putting a sliver of ginger in a few bottles, since Gingerade is my favorite of the Synergys.

I will take pictures of my scobys tonight and post them!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Last edited by Zenngrl; 07-06-2009 at 06:00 AM..
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #846
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Welcome to the science lab lol!!!

I highly recommend doing basic before doing stuff we can't help with. Really not good idea to use flavored KT in starter or not use sugar or use grape juice instead, but I'd do it as a science project but you really need a basic recipe first. The KT needs sugar to create cellulose. Grape juice has antioxidants & I know Metqa has her grape-bootcha and doing fine, but you really need to know the basics before going off on tangents. We have too many OMG what's happening to deal with something we have no clue about. Not trying to discourage you, but we won't be able to do anything other than shrug. Can you get sugar and plain Kombutcha as a starter? I would also suggest cutting your water way back, you just need to create a scoby and starter - about 2 bottles of water to half a bottle of starter or 4 bottles of water to 1 bottle of starter.
I used 3 different kinds of Synergy when I started my 3 brews. I don't remember if any of them were plain. They worked fine.

I poured a full bottle of synergy in a gallon jar & filled to the top with sweet tea. I think if you start with a lot less tea you will develop a scoby fairly quickly and then you can add more tea once it is strong. My first few brews took a really long time to get tart cause there was so much tea relative to how large the scoby was (miniscule)
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
sigh, I covet your scobys sigh

In this weather the brew time is really short & I think that's the problem - they say bottle 3 days less than brew time and with a 5-6 day brew cycle (if temp is 82-85F) that's only a couple of days til bottling. Which sounds so strange. I like it sour, the sourer the better, but I got to have fizz with it. If your temps are 82F or more you need to be doing continuous brewing. (I think we all should) but warmer temps demand it and brew time is only 26 hours then. Don't forget KT continues to ferment in the bottle, but bottling allows fermentation to continue but keeps a sweeter taste. (Beware and knowledgeable of bottling/ exploding bottle risk)
I'm happy to send you one (or more) of my scoby's, I started two separate batches and now I have scoby's coming out of my ears. Feel free to PM me with your address if you would like some.

I think it's probably time to go continuous. It's been in the high 70's and the last few days in the 80's. I may just let this batch go to vinegar because it's just SO strong. Could I add some more sweetened tea to it during the second ferment to mellow it out just a tad?
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #848
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I'm happy to send you one (or more) of my scoby's, I started two separate batches and now I have scoby's coming out of my ears. Feel free to PM me with your address if you would like some.

I think it's probably time to go continuous. It's been in the high 70's and the last few days in the 80's. I may just let this batch go to vinegar because it's just SO strong. Could I add some more sweetened tea to it during the second ferment to mellow it out just a tad?
Interesting thought - should work, I would think.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #849
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
That really is a good question, Ang... Like Jo, my feelings are go for it! As Cindy mentioned way back on another post - adding grape conentrate can help a lot in balancing the 2nd ferment. But I imagine sweet tea would work just as well...
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #850
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
As of last night, 7 days, my mother has produced a HUGE baby scoby, I will be doing a staggered brew with two gallon sun tea jars. I've had it in AC, around 76-73 degrees and it tastes perfect, just a little sweet, so I will bottle tonight. And from what I am reading, leave the bottles to 2nd ferment for 3 days then they hit the fridge!

I was all stressed out, but the brewing process was easy, I worried that I didn't do it right, right temp etc, but so far so good... my home must be scoby friendly!

I will take pictures of my scobys tonight and post them!
Oh lord, another scoby to covet, uhhhhh I mean, awesome!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

I bought a sun tea jar a while ago, so I'm all set to go continuous. I may set it up today. Mmm, the grape juice concentrate sounds like a good plan, I'll pick some up and add it to this batch and see what happens. It smells super vinegary though.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Thank you for your kind offer. It would be such a hassle packaging, shipping and stuff, so will probably, if all else fails order another from HH, but I do appreciate the offer!

You really want strong batches, adding fresh tea to the first or second ferments are fine. I suggest taking out only 30% adding fresh sweetened tea and waiting 24 hours and I bet taste is back where you wanted (and it's ready to bottle also - still suggest only 30% though)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mmm, the grape juice concentrate sounds like a good plan, I'll pick some up and add it to this batch and see what happens. It smells super vinegary though.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Just making sure, add grape juice only in second ferment stage not with the scoby. It will continue to ferment in the bottle, I would suggest after 2 (3days tops) getting it in fridge (if you want it sweeter) I've had grape juice ferments that were completely sugar free after a week or so out (but I prefer it that way)

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 07-06-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #854
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Cyndy! What are you saying?! You ought take BikerAng up on her offer! I mean I love HH and all but it would be so much cheaper and more fun to get one from a friend. I know, for me, the packing and shipping wasn't a hassle at all, just part of the love I sent of with each of my scoby babies.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #855
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So out of curiosity - how do you pack and ship a scoby?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #856
Major LCF Poster!

These scoby's are originally from Metqa, and I truly don't mind shipping some. I think I may just take this really strong tea, add it to my big sun tea jar (save some aside in case disaster strikes) and add fresh sweet tea to it. Then go continuous from there. I think this tea will make great starter tea because it is so strong. I've been scanning the web for details and found this:

Typically a continuous brewing ferment remains relatively constant for about 2-3 days and slowly changes towards the sour side steadily thereafter. Whenever the brew becomes too sour, simply pour off more of the sour brew replacing with sweet feeder solution. note- one idea is to pour off a quantity of the sour tea into another container. This way in case you take out too much you can pour back in some to balance the brew.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #857
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
So out of curiosity - how do you pack and ship a scoby?
Zip lock bags. Add large scoby to freezer bag, add in some tea. Seal in another bag or two. Put in box. Ship. Easy peasy!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
I'll start over - I do have good tea, will pick up some sugar and get another bottle of plain kombucha. Come to think of it, it reminds me of raising a baby (I have a 14 month old).
Great!! After you figure out what works then you can make up experiments (and have a dozen jars going like the rest of us ) I just knew you'd end up with questions that we couldn't help much with. Jo is our little Ms.Unconventional and she's happy with her brew, but we do a lot of shrugging too. Apparently as long as you don't let them overheat, they will keep on kicking.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #859
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Cyndy! What are you saying?! You ought take BikerAng up on her offer! I mean I love HH and all but it would be so much cheaper and more fun to get one from a friend. I know, for me, the packing and shipping wasn't a hassle at all, just part of the love I sent of with each of my scoby babies.
Awwwwwwww and they'd all be cousins lol Ok, if all else fails by next week, I'll be knocking on Ang's door or the 21st century equivalent lol
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #860
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yup, I'm pretty unconventional - no math, no percentages, just wing it... and things are working pretty well, in my opinion.

All I make sure of is that my brew stays "clean" - just scoby and sweet tea. Additions are added in the 2nd brew, whether I am bottling in individual bottles or putting it all in a sun tea jar in the fridge (takes up a bit less space).
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #861
Major LCF Poster!

I just transfered some of this strong tea (about 3 cups) to my sun tea jar. I took a big scoby (I was using huge pyrex bowls) and cut it into quarters. I really felt bad hacking it up, poor thing, but it was just WAY to big to try to squeeze into the jar. I have my sweet tea brewing and I piled the rest of my scoby's in the other large pyrex bowl with some of the strong tea and put a lid on it. I'll leave it like that until I can figure out what to do with them. I took pics and will post later.

Cindy - just let me know if you want some. I'll probably keep 1 large scoby and the tea and compost the rest in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #862
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quick question on leaving the 2nd ferment bottles out... what is the maximum time before transferring to the refrigerator? Is it three days (from everything I've been reading)? I want the max amount of fizz factor but I definitely don't want it too tart... Also, can that 2nd ferment ever go "bad" as in unsafe to drink? Or does it just become vinegar - not dangerous, but not tasty...
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #863
Major LCF Poster!

I let my 2nd ferment go for 3 days, but the last batch was WAY too tart (still tasted like kombucha, but I had to dilute it - had a very vinegary taste to it). I'm probably not the best person to listen to if you aren't looking for tart, because that's what I have right now. Can't wait to get some from the continous brew!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #864
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I bottled last Thursday - can't remember. I just put the bottles in the fridge today. I just now opened one of those bottles I brought to work. A bit tart - like I like it, but I don't think that it is tart wholey from the 2nd ferment because I think I waited a little too long to bottle them and the brew was a bit tart to begin with. It has not been warm around here so I think the lenghth of time you do a 2nd ferment would also depend on the temperature.

I usually base the move to the fridge by bubbles on the top of the bottles - I also burp them a bit and if they are really carbonated then they go in the fridge - not an exact science, but you wouldn't expect that from me would you?!

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #865
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I'm waiting to get some more half litter swing top bottles to start up brewing again. Something I can fit in the regular fridge! BF said his Grape Juice Only "Kombucha" tasted better after a full week second ferment. I remember mine tasting better after that long too. But I've been going flat lately, and getting tired of having a whole liter of flat boocha, hence waiting for smaller bottles to experiment. all my glass bottles from commercial teas, the lids are starting to rust and corrode, not from the tea, but just being old and washed over and over and stuff.

Oh that reminds me, I'd better go bottle BF' abomination.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #866
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm waiting to get some more half litter swing top bottles to start up brewing again. Something I can fit in the regular fridge! BF said his Grape Juice Only "Kombucha" tasted better after a full week second ferment. I remember mine tasting better after that long too. But I've been going flat lately, and getting tired of having a whole liter of flat boocha, hence waiting for smaller bottles to experiment. all my glass bottles from commercial teas, the lids are starting to rust and corrode, not from the tea, but just being old and washed over and over and stuff.

Oh that reminds me, I'd better go bottle BF' abomination.
Fortunately I noticed early on that my synergy metal caps rusted easily so I started focusing on buying only synergy with plastic caps.

I am surprised that my sun tea jar is holding the carbonation well - the top flip top doesn't seal real well, but it's still carbonated.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #867
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
My First Kombucha

As promised, below are a few snaps of my first brew!

you can see the small quart jar sized scoby that I started with, the large "baby" is what 7 days in my storage closet brought me!

This tastes even better tonight! Will bottle and start a new batch tonight!

Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #868
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

a beauty - or should I say handsome?!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
She did that for sure! I got one of metqa's babies, and it was so loved it just had to love back, and it took off at a whip to make its own baby!

pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #870
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Sigh, this is where I become terribly politically incorrect and suggest you sell this on ebay for a million dollars because you have the scoby of Turin. There must be some face in there.

Quote:
As promised, below are a few snaps of my first brew!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote