Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Kamalam - wanted to share the Yerba Mate site I found: yerbamate.us It's about $4.50 kg. and they now do price breaks - 10% off $25 or more - 15% off $50 or more - 20% off $100 or more & coupon code FUB06 for free Ultimate Bombilla It's all been disgusting but I'm trying to acquire a taste.
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #662
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kbailley
I enjoyed reading this thread, learned a lot about weight loss drinks that truly works. Glad to be here.
kbailley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Well, kbailley, although the label on the Synergy drink claims that it supports appetite and weight control, I don't know that that is true for me - I might even hazard to guess that it might be contributing to a stall, but I am liking it too much to give it up. I do believe some of the other claims however.[/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Jo, another forum I joined folks are claiming weight loss (BUT with lots other changes also). At this point, I wouldn't recommend KT for weight loss. I'm hoping like so many others to recommend it for health gain, but can't do that either yet. I am enjoying and would surely recommend it to someone who drinks sodas.

I started it because I was desperate. I'm guessing others started it because they loved the store bought version. I did order a case of "Kombucha Wonder Drink" off Amazon before I got involved with ordering stuff. (Wish I had known about grow your own back then lol) I bought a case of "Carpe Diem" off Amazon just for the purpose of grow your own, but nothing so far.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
Jo, another forum I joined folks are claiming weight loss (BUT with lots other changes also). At this point, I wouldn't recommend KT for weight loss. I'm hoping like so many others to recommend it for health gain, but can't do that either yet. I am enjoying and would surely recommend it to someone who drinks sodas.

I started it because I was desperate. I'm guessing others started it because they loved the store bought version. I did order a case of "Kombucha Wonder Drink" off Amazon before I got involved with ordering stuff. (Wish I had known about grow your own back then lol) I bought a case of "Carpe Diem" off Amazon just for the purpose of grow your own, but nothing so far.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Although I believe the claims of the other health benefits - I drink it mostly because I love it and I wanted a suitable replacement for my nightly glass of wine (or 2 :blush Alcohol just doesn't treat me all that well these days and I enjoy a "sipping drink" something different than I have been drinking all day.

And now that I brew it myself, I save loads of money not having to buy it and I like mine even better than store bought. The only problem with mine is that I dont have labeling info - like calories and carbs (not that I am convinced of the synergy carb count) But I am not going to worry my little head over my one small indulgence.[/COLOR]

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #666
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quote:
Kamalam - wanted to share the Yerba Mate site I found: yerbamate.us It's about $4.50 kg. and they now do price breaks - 10% off $25 or more - 15% off $50 or more - 20% off $100 or more & coupon code FUB06 for free Ultimate Bombilla It's all been disgusting but I'm trying to acquire a taste.
Thanks Cindy! Missed this post earlier. We still haven't made our KT/ YM blend, though now I'm not so sure I want to, lol. "Disgusting" isn't a big motivator .

I am curious about it though - and god knows I have enough YM to test it out. We'll probably start with a heavy black tea combo- though I must say, I'd love to try the HH white tea blend... that will be next on my list.

BTW... with our continuous system, we're getting stacked up on bottles so Stan decided to drain our main stock down to 1 gallon... Until we get caught up, we'll be taking out a quart a day, replacing a quart. I think as our bodies acclimate to it we'll bump production up again but for now, that might be more manageable. Also as summer gets warmer, that might change things for us as well.
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Scoby question: Well, ever since I separated my original scoby into three smaller ones, none of them are growing babies or increasing in size at all. I think I messed them up somehow in the separation process and I'm seriously considering just buying another scoby to throw into the brewer.

Does anybody know if (1) it's normal to not see a change in the scobies? and (2) would it be ok if I *did* buy another scoby and just placed it in my brewer?

Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #668
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
Scoby question: Well, ever since I separated my original scoby into three smaller ones, none of them are growing babies or increasing in size at all. I think I messed them up somehow in the separation process and I'm seriously considering just buying another scoby to throw into the brewer.

Does anybody know if (1) it's normal to not see a change in the scobies? and (2) would it be ok if I *did* buy another scoby and just placed it in my brewer?

Thanks!!
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]
My scobys are not normal by any means. They started out filmy and they are still pretty thin although getting more opaque/brown. I don't see layers at all, but they are working hard, bless their little hearts Is there any brewing activity going on despite there not being any babies?

Did I mention that I have tasted my mango nectar batch? Not real impressed with it - I might may need an extra T of mango nectar or it just might not be sweet enough and I might need to doctor it up with some sugar. I just ended up buying some more apple juice concentrate at the grocery store - it is the most pure juice concentrate I can find so far that I don't have to get online - might have to loiter in the juice/frozen juice sections of TJ's and Whole Foods and see if I can't come up with some other flavors - not that I need them, really cause I REALLY like the apple flavored.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 06-10-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #669

Gallery: frogfarm
Stats: 150/145/155
WOE: Custom
Start Date: June 2008
I haven't needed to add more sugar yet, even with a plain batch -- the dried cherries in the latest one made the loudest/most violent pop yet when I uncapped it! I think that's plenty enough carbonation, thank you Any day now it's time to split a scoby off to another jar, but now y'all have gotten me paranoid again...
frogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
I haven't needed to add more sugar yet, even with a plain batch -- the dried cherries in the latest one made the loudest/most violent pop yet when I uncapped it! I think that's plenty enough carbonation, thank you Any day now it's time to split a scoby off to another jar, but now y'all have gotten me paranoid again...
[COLOR="Olive"]Part of my hesitation in starting this whole process was my fear of the what ifs - what if I don't treat my scoby right, What if I disturb it too much? What if I "kill" it? What happens, you ask? Well the earth does't end, I know that for sure cause I have, what I would categorize, as abuse my scoby's - not like intentionally - like hang them by their toes in a dark closet - I save that for my kids - JK But I knock the jars around, I peek at them continuously, I do taste tests almost every day, I accidently poke my scoby with the straw, I knock & push the scoby about when I am bottling and they are brewing like crazy. I don't know if it is just my scoby's, but they take a lot more than we think they can. I say just do it. If something, god forbid, should happen to one of your precious ones , there will be others (nothing like your first - none could replace that ) and the whole process will start again. Hopefully you won't have to go too long before you can bottle this new brew, but I am getting less and less scared and things are working out really well, at least for me. Relax and enjoy your new little family/hobby. [/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 06-10-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Nothing wrong with an ugly scoby lol

Quote:
Scoby question: I separated my original scoby into three smaller ones, none are growing babies or increasing in size . I think I messed them up somehow in the separation process and I'm seriously considering just buying another scoby to throw into the brewer.

Does anybody know if (1) it's normal to not see a change in scobies? & (2) would it be ok if I *did* buy another scoby and just placed it in my brewer?
I *think* that it's too hot for the bacteria and the yeast are just overwhelming them. I didn't get a new scoby either in the past 2 batches in 3 containers and they are all as they have been. Another forum lady says she got one but it was WAY thinner than normal. She's doing batch brewing which drains off lot of yeasties. You are doing continuous brewer with hungry, fully mature yeast (that is why brewing only takes 26 hours) IF your KT tastes fine, don't worry about it. If it doesn't taste right, drain off top and dump the yeasties at the bottom. Think I will need to do this, it was fine one day & watery the next. I hope I haven't lost my 21+ day starter, but at least brewing is fast in this weather. In this heat, try to find a cooler spot if you can for your brewer.

Don't forget if you're doing the continuous brewing method you won't get the pretty scoby, but ugly scoby works just as well lol. Every time you disturb the scoby it will stop & restart growth and with continuous brewing & stirring in fresh tea, it may start looking more like jelly fish or thinly layered. It's all good though.

I personally think that diversifying your stock from different sources is a good idea. Not all scobys are the same and even after you get a scoby it can change and pick up your local bacteria & yeast (not a bad thing). When you brew them together, they should give you full complement from both sources. (I could be making all this up, just my thoughts) I would keep them isolated for a few batches before intermingling them though. (Make sure they produce what you expect.) I would highly recommend starting a scoby from GT's if you have access. I don't know how they would do with home brew, but they do have the lactobacteria that makes up 95% of the gut. It is possible GT's adds it in the bottling process but I'm thinking it may be part of the scoby. Although lactobacteria is suppose to cause slime, which may not be appetizing. (Jo is liking hers though and she's never had a traditional scoby) So definitely keep it separate, until you're sure you want it incorporated in your stock.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-10-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
I added more juice and sugar (since I added both sour cranberry & lemon juices) to last batch for flavor when it turned watery. It occurred to me that the yeast had probably overrun the bacteria. It DIDN"T occur to me that adding fruit juice and sugar to highly active yeast may not be a great idea lol.

The bottles were ready next day (so glad I use plastic and not worry about exploding glass) and I have to open them over sink. I just barely open and drain foam into glass, close it up, let foam subside, do it til it's not a geyser. Not thinking I opened bottle here at computer last night and made a mess. Good thing about screw caps, you can recap when it starts spewing.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #673
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I added more juice and sugar (since I added both sour cranberry & lemon juices) to last batch for flavor when it turned watery. It occurred to me that the yeast had probably overrun the bacteria. It DIDN"T occur to me that adding fruit juice and sugar to highly active yeast may not be a great idea lol.

The bottles were ready next day (so glad I use plastic and not worry about exploding glass) and I have to open them over sink. I just barely open and drain foam into glass, close it up, let foam subside, do it til it's not a geyser. Not thinking I opened bottle here at computer last night and made a mess. Good thing about screw caps, you can recap when it starts spewing.
We're STILL not getting fizz anywhere near this level yet.... Since we're going continuous now I really thought that would change?? Argh. Looking at the HH website, I see that for one, we have been boiling way over the recommended time that he cites. So, right from the beginning our brew had less oxygen for fermentation.

Oh, and I wish heat was an issue with my scobies not growing... we stay around 70 degrees year round, give or take a few weeks here or there. We're close to the ocean so it's always on the cool side... (we are not in a fancy oceanfront house, however... don't I wish!!!). But it helped a lot to read that the scobies won't turn into the pretty (ha) looking kind we had when we were doing the batch brewing method. That makes me feel a little better, even though the one scoby I have in a hotel is also not producing babies - maybe because it's just sitting in a jar and not seeing any action.

Cindy: I am leaning heavily on starting a new container with the HH scoby and *possibly* pu-erh tea - but I wanted your opinion on the "woodsy" taste he uses to describe it... would you recommend starting with that version or his black tea/green tea blend?? Do you notice a taste difference (and which do you prefer?). Thanks!

Last edited by Kamalam; 06-10-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #674
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
even though the one scoby I have in a hotel is also not producing babies - maybe because it's just sitting in a jar and not seeing any action.
The scobys in my hotel, didn't really start to reproduce till it has sat for a long while. the Kombucha that's in there with it is probably very fresh and still drinkable. the Kombucha that was in my hotel, once I noticed it doing that was way ripe and undrinkable. In fact the riper it got the faster it seemed to produce new scobys. That was a bonus cause I got to share with all my friends. But I'm about to clean the hotel and add some fresh Kombucha for it to sit in and don't expect any newbie scobys from that for a while. It is a hotel, after all, they are on vacation. No working allowed! (unless they want to )
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We're STILL not getting fizz anywhere near this level yet.... Since we're going continuous now I really thought that would change?? Argh. Looking at the HH website, I see that for one, we have been boiling way over the recommended time that he cites. So, right from the beginning our brew had less oxygen for fermentation.

I wish heat was an issue with my scobies not growing... we stay around 70 degrees year round, give or take a few weeks here or there. We're close to the ocean so it's always on the cool side. though the one scoby I have in a hotel is also not producing babies - maybe because it's just sitting in a jar and not seeing any action.

Cindy: I am leaning heavily on starting a new container with the HH scoby and *possibly* pu-erh tea - but I wanted your opinion on the "woodsy" taste he uses to describe it... would you recommend starting with that version or his black tea/green tea blend?? Do you notice a taste difference (and which do you prefer?).
Optimum brewing temperature is 74F - 84F and it should brew albeit slower from 64F - 73F. I can't imagine it is cooler now than before, guessing you don't need a/c lol. I wouldn't worry about lack of reproduction with 70% starter, like the other forum says you don't really need a scoby, although HH says it gives bacteria a direction (and I'm betting it is important). Continuous brewing "should" give you more mature yeasts, more fizz than batch brewing, make sure you stir in the fresh tea to the brewer this will help oxygenate the batch and make your scoby uglier lol.

Len's site says no fizz can be caused by too much sugar, weak tea, type of tea and temperature. (Shocked I would have thought too lil sugar hmmm) I use 1 cup sugar to gallon water and gobs of tea (green, black & rooibios - recently I read should be predominately green with at least 25% black - think I've been doing opposite lol) Lady at another site claims she doesn't bottle it comes straight out of brewer fizzy (doubt enough for me lol) but she uses 1.75 cups sugar per gallon (I'm not gonna do it lol). In actuality, no fizz is a good thing, it means your yeasts haven't overpowered the brew. Another thought is to split your sugar up and feed yeasts a portion every few hours or 1-2x day so they don't get overloaded (even feeding them half now & other half in 12 hours would help) Len suggest IF you are adding sugar to bottle, to only add 1/4 tsp to quart(liter). Another lady suggests patience, which is true if I've bottled up several gallons the last few are definitely geysers.

From all I've read your hotel shouldn't produce a baby, only fresh tea is supposed to do that, really best not to put fresh tea in your hotel (if you need to dump some, drain brewer into hotel and add fresh tea to brewer)

I'll continue another post about tea, but hoping you will catch this and answer - Why are you choosing pu erh, what benefit do you expect from it?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #676
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
All my strongest hotel babies grew from Strong Finished Kombucha.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
All my strongest hotel babies grew from Strong Finished Kombucha.
Same thing with me lol I had a batch that cloth top was off, I don't know how long. I couldn't take chance that it might be contaminated by flies so took it out of circulation, put it in a jar with plastic lid closed it up & set it aside & it grew baby.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am leaning heavily on starting a new container with the HH scoby and *possibly* pu-erh tea - but I wanted your opinion on the "woodsy" taste he uses to describe it... would you recommend starting with that version or his black tea/green tea blend?? Do you notice a taste difference (and which do you prefer?).
Pu-erh is easiest for beginner brewers because you can't overbrew it and it won't get bitter. They claim it has cholesterol lowering and phlegm reducing attributes. I just brewed up a batch (not HH) and it was fine, not disgusting, not impressive though. I misread a chart on the HH site and thought Pu-erh was white tea (the highest medicinal valued tea, and it's not) I'm wondering if you did the same.

The highest medicinal valued tea is silver needles, then white tea, then green tea, then oolong and black is last. I would think Pu-erh would be classified as black tea. This was nothing to do with taste preferences.

I would suggest if you are going to spend big bucks on tea, purchasing silver needle tea off ebay direct from the Chinese farmer (farfolkart). You can purchase 14 oz/400g for $35 includes shipping cost (=$40# you can buy larger quantities but unless you purchase a kilo, you can't get a better per ounce price from them) Even with discounts, HH wants $73.60# +shipping for same thing, that's almost double.

If you are going to purchase a scoby from HH, since they are all the same price, I would suggest the silver needle starter kit for $20. I wanted the 5 gal brewer and needed a heater so opted for the kit with scoby for $50.

Silver needle tea will create a scoby that produces the highest amount of gluconic acids and I believe I read the precursor for glucuronic acid also. I don't intend to drink the silver tea but use it to feed the scoby by brewing a small batch (less than a gallon) and let the scoby soak up all the silver tea before putting it into production with my regular green/black/rooibios tea blend.

I have been using one third each of green, black & rooiboos. Every batch I fill up another 3x5" muslin bag with more and add last batches tea bags with new and it is strong stuff. I only brew my green tea for 5 min now though.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-10-2009 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: forgot gluconic acid AND HH kit lol
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Following are various notes on tea from HH site. I don't find anything on the site as to benefit KT using pu-erh, other than it's not bitter:

Green tea producing a thinner clearer mushroom yet with a faster growth rate and a more bubbly tea. Neither which has been identified with any specific health benefits. Black tea generally contains more purine. Günther Frank (1994) considers the purines an important contributor to kombucha mushroom tea.

White Tea produces the highest ratio of glucuronic acid and higher anti-oxidants. White Tea is considered to be higher in anti-oxidants and health benefits than other tea and may have application in the inactivation of pathogenic human microbes, i.e., bacteria, viruses, and fungi superior to that of green tea.

White Kombucha has the highest marks. (for example 15.3 g/L acetic acetic, 29.6 g/L gluconic acid, and 2.37 g/L 2-keto-Gluconic acid. The higher the values the greater concentration of beneficial acids. These ratios are also critical. The higher the value of gluconic acid compared to acetic acid the smoother the taste (less sharpness). Compared to the typical kombucha ferment in the Cornel Study our White kombucha has almost twice the beneficial acids while maintaining a pleasant taste.

Silver needle white tea is highest in Medical Value. Silver Needle White Kombucha Tea was recently analyzed as being the highest in gluconic acid and glucronic* acid than our other strains.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
From the HH site:

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine Pu-erh gives warmth and energy to the Middle Burner (Spleen and Stomach). Supports the distribution of fluids and digestate and eliminates stagnate dampness. Aids the Gallbladder and ensures good metabolism by removing fats (dampheat) from the blood without decreasing energy. With good digestion, detoxication is achieved. help produce saliva and slake thirst, dispel the effects of alcohol and refresh one�s mind. Pu-erh tea has functions of lowering the triglyceride, cholesterol andhyperuricemia Those with chronic illness of lungs, stomach and liver or a weakness of these organs can greatly profit from this tea. This tea is often served in Southern China after meals.

In the 1970's, Chinese doctors in Kumming reported clinical experiments in which drinking Pu-erh was shown to lower cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. French researchers at St. Antoine Hospital in Paris found that three cups of pu-erh a day for a month brought lipids down 25 % in 20 hyperlipidemia patients, while those on other teas showed no change. These tests showed pu-erh performed at least as well as cclofibrate, the most advanced medicine for the purpose, without the drug's side effects. It has since been shown to help reduce body weight, lower blood alcohol after drinking, relieves any overstuffed feelings and aids digestion by stimulating secretions of the digestive organs.

This is a favorite of kombucha enthusiast as its claimed to enhance the kombucha teas overall affect notable in the body aches and pain section. Another advantage is in the teas natural sweetness and less sugar may be used. It�s a ideal tea to use for beginners as this tea does not sour as quickly and hold its pleasant taste a few days longer than typical teas. It is also economical. You need only about 1/2 of what is typically used without sacrificing in taste. It is also the easiest tea for beginners to brew as its almost foolproof. You can use a little bit of tea or a lot. You can steep it briefly or overnight. And when its comes to when is the brew ready, it�s the most forgiving tea you can use. Fantastic in the continuous brewing setting, or the single stage method. Its “window of opportunity” I mean the day that a particular batch of kombucha tea is just perfect: delivering the best in taste and benefit. For example on the 7 day of an 80F ferment. That window is the widest. If day 7 is perfect, day 8 and even day 9 will still be just as good. The sourness, associated with other teas from over-fermenting (more so in green teas) is just not that apparent. All kombucha will become sour (almost undrinkable) over time; its just pu-erh teas are more forgiving. The better grades pu-erh (ten grades plus Grade A and B, grade A the highest) plus the age (the older the smoother) the better the ferment.

As a rough guide, the higher the temperature of the water or the greater the amount of leaves used, the quicker the steeping time should be. Steeping time remains a personal preference but when brewing kombucha a longer steep time releases more sterols, which in turn favor, the yeasts over the bacteria. Since kombucha brewing is a balancing act a long steep time favors the yeasts, short steep time favors the bacteria side of the equation.

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Cindy - I really appreciate your help! The only reason I was considering the pu-erh tea was that it sounded good from a medicinal/ health perspective. I never even read the silver needle white tea description - didn't realize it was considered the "Champagne of Kombucha Tea." Wow! (and thanks Pepperette for that awesome pu-erh description... It's such a hard choice now!).

I think I'm leaning toward the silver needle but I really need to think some more. Just curious - why wouldn't you continue using the silver needle white tea? I'm guessing it's the cost factor? We're trying to not make this an expensive project, so I would probably stick to a basic blend as well. We've been using a blend of green and black from the getkombucha.com website but I really like the idea of adding some rooibos to the mix.

So, in terms of the mix you use... do you buy each tea separately and then combine into one big bag? Or do you combine only at the moment of placing into the small muslin bag? Was confused when you said you only brew your green tea for five minutes... I guess that might mean you are placing the green and black in one small muslin bag, the green in another, (and then you also reuse your last bags?).

Finally - where do you buy your teas? HH??

Last edited by Kamalam; 06-10-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I couldn't make up my senile little mind on which tea to order , so I opted for Lipton's loose leaf tea- it is a blend of orange and black pekoe teas. I use about 8 heaping teaspoons full in my 3" tea ball for 2 gallons total tea.[/COLOR]
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The only reason I was considering the pu-erh tea was that it sounded good from a medicinal/ health perspective. I never even read the silver needle white tea description

I think I'm leaning toward the silver needle but I really need to think some more. Just curious - why wouldn't you continue using the silver needle white tea? I'm guessing it's the cost factor? We're trying to not make this an expensive project, so I would probably stick to a basic blend as well. We've been using a blend of green and black from the getkombucha.com website but I really like the idea of adding some rooibos to the mix.

So, in terms of the mix you use... do you buy each tea separately and then combine into one big bag? Or do you combine only at the moment of placing into the small muslin bag? Was confused when you said you only brew your green tea for five minutes... I guess that might mean you are placing the green and black in one small muslin bag, the green in another, (and then you also reuse your last bags?).

Finally - where do you buy your teas? HH??
I just got 18 oz white tea from Amazon with fancy tins (2-3x3oz for $16ea) before I found the ebay source for silver needle. A couple of times a year, Amazon has 40% off sale items and you can get some incredible deals, I'm up to my eyeballs in seaweed & fancy tea (before I got into KT lol) My regular tea source doesn't carry silver needle but does carry white tea, but I want my next order from them to be $200 or $500 for the extra discounts and not ready to place that order.

The gluconic & glucuronic acids are the main health reasons to drink KT. Silver needle will double the scobys out put of these acids. I wouldn't brew with it but would feed the scoby it ocassionally. I thought I summarized from that page pu-erh's benefits, which to me don't seem any more beneficial than green tea. I too am wrestling with the silver needle purchase, boy that's a lot bucks for tea, but you were talking about buying expensive HH tea. If I had more bucks, I definitely would make power scobys with the silver but may just use the white. My main point is shop around. HH is too expensive and I'm betting your buddy Dave is too. I haven't priced ebay for white tea but doubt than can beat my wholesaler (when considering shipping costs)

I started out sticking all my teas in one bag, but I brew too long for green tea, which apparently will get bitter (never noticed that). I bought a big batch of 3x5" muslin bags and now separate the green, black & rooibos into their own bag. Green tea, I only brew for 5 min. - black tea, I brew for 15 min. - rooibos I brew til it cools. I use my tea bags at least 10x, I just add another each brew.

I buy from atlanticspice.com, they have a $30 minimum and discounts for $200(10%) & $500(15%) plus item volume discounts. Holding off ordering from them to place a big order & get the discounts - I try to order 5 of each or figure it's nothing I need that bad. Here's a sampling of my fav items -

20 oz white tea = $28.13 ($22.50#) or 4 oz for $6.25
Rooibos $ 5.10# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Gunpowder Green $ 4.75# extra 10% off if you buy 5
China Black Tea $ 3.70# extra 10% off if you buy 5
25-3x5" muslin bag$ 4.00 extra 10% off if you buy 5
Bee Pollen $ 8.45# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Coconut Milk pwdr $ 7.65# extra 10% off if you buy 5 (25 15% off all these)
Buttermilk Powder $ 6.15# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Cheese Powder $ 6.05# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Cranberries Dried $ 6.50# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Flax seed whole $ 2.35# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Kelp powder $ 2.85# extra 10% off if you buy 5
Yerba Mate cut $ 3.30# extra 10% off if you buy 5
celery stalk dried $ 5.35# extra 10% off if you buy 5
ancho chili ground $ 4.20# extra 10% off if you buy 5
cinnamon pwdr $ 2.75# extra 10% off if you buy 5

Best prices I've found so far is silver tea at $40#, white tea at $23# & green tea at $5# - that's a big difference. Too expensive to use in my brewer, especially as much as I use. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal lol.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 06-10-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I opted for Lipton's loose leaf tea- it is a blend of orange and black pekoe teas. I use about 8 heaping teaspoons full in my 3" tea ball for 2 gallons total tea.[/COLOR]
Loose leaf is always a better quality tea than bagged tea. You need to add green tea of you want optimum health benefits. Orange pekoe is still black tea
Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #685
Senior LCF Member

Cindy... Holy Moly... LOL. Awesome... I need to get more muslin bags (and check out that website)!! Right now we only have two that we use and reuse. I was at World Market today and they had pu-reh tea for sale - 40 bags (yeah, bags but oh well) at 8.99 box. I'm going to drink it as a regular tea first and just see how I like it. Still leaning toward creating a Super Scoby with the silver needle... but it's good to know what else is out there and how it tastes.

Tomorrow I'm going on a 4 day retreat so I'll be out of commission until Sunday. EEEEEEK! No Internet for 4 days, muhahahahaha. I can't EVEN remember when I went without the Internet that long - well, actually, I was definitely around pre-Internet. :blush: I remember finishing college on a baby Mac before Apple got to be so huge, lol.

Anyway, a little time away for the soul and spirit. It will be good, but I'm going alone this time while my partner takes care of our little boy. A little nervous about making the 4 hour trip, but I'm just going to take it a day at a time. If I don't pop back on before Sunday, have a fabulous weekend... and once again, BIG THANKS darlin!!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

I find info all over the nooks & crannies of the HH site and found some strange tidbits.

Although unusal some research indicates Black tea can raise blood pressure & may cause weight gain. The opposite effect what one expects from brewing kombucha with Green Tea.

One of these polyphenolic agents of black tea is myricetin which mimics insulin in stimulating lipogenesis and glucose transport. ..In our opinion when choosing which tea to brew in your kombucha black tea may have a therapeutic potential in management of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus by stimulating glucose uptake, without the presence of fully functional insulin receptors.

Caffeine is a stimulator for the bacteria. On the other side of the balance, a long steeping time benefit the yeasts as more sterols are released the longer the tea is steeped.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I need to get more muslin bags (and check out that website)!! Right now we only have two that we use and reuse.

Tomorrow I'm going on a 4 day retreat so I'll be out of commission until Sunday. EEEEEEK! No Internet for 4 days, muhahahahaha.
I forgot you do almond milk - they also have 25 - 5x7" Muslin bags for $5.85 with discounts for 5 or 25 packs - I was wondering if they could be used for sprouting bags, almond milk, etc. I have to get another size. I didn't mark my Yerba Mate bags from my tea bags and I got them confused lol. I finally marked bags with permanent marker G - B - R (green black red)

I can't imagine life without the internet anymore. I bet it's going to be harder to be away from your family though lol Hope you have a great time
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #688
Senior LCF Member

Amazon Tea Deals

Tea deals I found on Amazon (free ship over $25)

Hyson Green Tea 24 x 4.3 oz for $26 - that's 6.45# at $4.03# (I bought this last year when they had their 40% off sale)

White Teas -
Eden Grove White Tea 3 x 3oz for $15.27 that's 9oz at $27.15#
Tea of Life Special Ed. 3 x 3oz for $16.15 that's 9oz at $28.71#
Numi White Tea Spice 2 x 16 oz for $ 21.54 ---- 2# at $10.77# (I'm betting this is heavily spiced)

Amazon is strange with their prices. One day something may be $60 the next day $35 & the next day $50 I put things in my cart to see if it hits a price that I will buy it.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #689
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Tea deals I found on Amazon (free ship over $25)

Hyson Green Tea 24 x 4.3 oz for $26 - that's 6.45# at $4.03# (I bought this last year when they had their 40% off sale)

White Teas -
Eden Grove White Tea 3 x 3oz for $15.27 that's 9oz at $27.15#
Tea of Life Special Ed. 3 x 3oz for $16.15 that's 9oz at $28.71#
Numi White Tea Spice 2 x 16 oz for $ 21.54 ---- 2# at $10.77# (I'm betting this is heavily spiced)

Amazon is strange with their prices. One day something may be $60 the next day $35 & the next day $50 I put things in my cart to see if it hits a price that I will buy it.
Oooh, great to know about the Amazon deals... I do the same thing, put stuff in my basket and check everyday just to see if the price has dropped.

And yeah... I only have one nut bag at present! Definitely need to get stocked on those things. Nice to know where to go now!

Ok, gotta finish last minute stuff before leaving... I will definitely miss my family - I haven't even told my three year old, he'd never understand. Crossing my fingers that daddy and grandpa/ grandma will be enough while I'm away. I made two bottles of almond milk so they should have breakfast milk! Usually my son drinks kefir every night before bed, but we ran out so instead mixed the almond milk with some strawberry and agave. Yummmmm.

And when I get back... new scoby time!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a great time Kamalam